• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

ocean

Banned
Yup, thanks to Unstable's Xbone-exclusive RNG luck he got a PvP scumbag Matador with Aggressive Ballistics/Shot Package/Rifled Barrel/Kneepads right out of the box from IB.
tumblr_mg7ziolWAD1r58875o1_500.gif

I've spent 2,000 weapon parts and I don't know how much glimmer looking for that. Closest I've gotten is Rangefinder instead of shot package :(

I think I have 1 rumble win. I just don't enjoy FFA play so that grimoire will never happen for me. I noticed I'm only on 49/50 strikes and didn't realize until a day or so ago you have to run strikes from the planet selection screen for them to count. Nightfall or heroics don't even count! :/

The good news is you get credit for everyone in your fire team, even if it's randoms from match making. So each strike counts as 3 towards your Grimoire as long as nobody quits (not a given, admittedly).

I've got 21 VIPs and 94 Rumble wins left. VIPs will happen soon enough but every time I consider Rumble it sounds too depressing to bother. I can't stand PvP without any teamwork, this game is way too social for me.

It's 40 seconds and I grew tired of randoms popping in. Found the other one much better.

Yeah I can vouch for this. The in-mission method works really well, you can use the dying Hydra or any rockets you pick up to quickly wipe and reset. Skating Striker for speeeeed.

LiK

Rumble is awful and makes you paranoid. I don't like that mode at all. Playing with teams is more satisfying, imo

Kyoufu

Rumble is awful and makes you paranoid. I don't like that mode at all. Playing with teams is more satisfying, imo

Definitely. Free For All modes are my least favourite in any FPS.

They should change the Rumble grimoire requirement to 1000 kills or something instead. :p

Nuszka

Is it me or the game seems buggier, glitchier - currently stuck on post game screen, only thing i can do is restart the app. Oh and the lag in the crucible is beyond ridiculous, no wonder Bungie did not add the video editor that was so popular in their previous games.

E92 M3

tumblr_mg7ziolWAD1r58875o1_500.gif

I've spent 2,000 weapon parts and I don't know how much glimmer looking for that. Closest I've gotten is Rangefinder instead of shot package :(

I limit myself to 20 rerolls per day to keep supplies stacked.

Rumble is the best way to get good at PVP. All about survival and personal skill with a dose of luck.

The good news is you get credit for everyone in your fire team, even if it's randoms from match making. So each strike counts as 3 towards your Grimoire as long as nobody quits (not a given, admittedly).

Oddly there is always somebody who escapes before the countdown when doing a "map strike". I've been doing the vanilla Sumoning pits twice to fill the thorn with the 500 hive souls or whatever, and you can see them with the ghost before beaming up. Maybe they want to avoid ending with crap loot?

One of these days I need to call upon a carry by some of the more skilled for trials.
I have been neglecting doing it every week because of earlier instances of being thrown to the title screen on rather good runs, getting a mark against me.

I keep seeing more and more people getting to mercury, and started feeling left behind finally.

I would be willing to wait in a queue, or watch a twitch stream for a chance, but I have failed on many occasions to get that chance as well.

If someone with a fairly good record of helping out fellow gaffers is willing, I would appreciate it greatly.

I also don't really want to ask the obvious names, as they are always rather swamped with requests, but would welcome their help with no resistance lol.

Hit me up this weekend Gutz, I'll convince one of the obvious names to help. I owe it to you after Puma and I barely escaped with a W against your team back on Black Shield :)

I'm hoping to help with more Trials this weekend since my journey to 50 True Skill is almost compete (just hit 46). Then I can join the illustrious ranks of Stabie, Wicked, Rubenov, xo and probably some other DGAF'ers I don't know.

Oddly there is always somebody who escapes before the countdown when doing a "map strike". I've been doing the vanilla Sumoning pits twice to fill the thorn with the 500 hive souls or whatever, and you can see them with the ghost before beaming up. Maybe they want to avoid ending with crap loot?
If you pull out your ghost just after the countdown starts and go to orbit, you'll still get any rewards/rep from that activity, but you won't have to wait through the countdown and screens.

Nice! I got it yesterday. A fellow gaffer let me join in for his Crota kill.

Remember how long it took us? We did it in two tries and had 3 people! (Plus me)

They were experts.

I feel like we could have done it much faster

Just had to practice and push through. Its actually piss easy when you really think about it

I wonder if you can time rocket fires to immediately drop his shield the second he gets it back to allow for 3 reps within the time limit.

you think snipers could drop the shield just as fast to avoid friendly fire of the rockets? I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff

With final round getting nerfed, I've been thinking about rerolling my spear. Will it pull from the old perks? If so, what would be a good roll?

Yes an old Spear will pull from the old perk table. You won't see many Spears in PvP after the FR nerf but it'll still be a top tier PvE sniper.

Required perk: Field Scout in middle column, with the elemental damage of your choice (FScout is getting nerfed but I'm sure it'll still be good)

Recommended perk: Surplus. Get double ammo in every ammo pack that drops, including heavy. So every heavy pack that drops gives 4-5 rockets or 6-7 with Ruin Wings also equipped.

Other perks: Not a big deal but Firefly, Outlaw, Performance Bonus are all fine. Rodeo sucks. Final Round will still be damn good for PvE, that extra 33% damage on the highest impact sniper in the game is great.

WipedOut

Yup, thanks to Unstable's Xbone-exclusive RNG luck he got a PvP scumbag Matador with Aggressive Ballistics/Shot Package/Rifled Barrel/Kneepads right out of the box from IB.

That's just crazy. His RNG on XB1 has been unreal.

So what roll should we be looking for on the new Spear for PVP? PVE?

ocean

Banned
Once you see the countdown you can just go to Orbit. You'll get any rewards you would have rolled at the rewards screen and you get to skip the rewards screen itself so you can move on more quickly.

Most of the people you see running those level 10 strikes are only there for a "Kill ______" or "Strike without dying" bounty, so you just skip to orbit as soon as the bounty pops up.

Just had to practice and push through. Its actually piss easy when you really think about it

I wonder if you can time rocket fires to immediately drop his shield the second he gets it back to allow for 3 reps within the time limit.

you think snipers could drop the shield just as fast to avoid friendly fire of the rockets? I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff
It really didn't seem like too much trouble at all. They didn't even have a hunter sword bearer.

Same exact strategy we used, but the timing was perfect so he got three shots, two times. We never even got to the ogres. He was dead after round two.

It really didn't seem like too much trouble at all. They didn't even have a hunter sword bearer.

Same exact strategy we used, but the timing was perfect so he got three shots, two times. We never even got to the ogres. He was dead after round two.

Yeah my very first Crota run also killed him in Two cycles

Totally doable with the proper timing. Swordbearer not dying makes all the difference lol

All right, let's start . I'm going to try doing the 32 weekly heroic with randoms and hope this time nothing wrong happens. i don't want to have to ask for help again for something smaller than Nightfall or PoE :(

Yeah my very first Crota run also killed him in Two cycles

Totally doable with the proper timing. Swordbearer not dying makes all the difference lol
Yep, can't blame our guy though. He had never done it before. It was still fun.

If we took the same group through this week it would probably take half the time.

I do this for three reasons.

1) Save time, every seconds counts
2) I have no reason to care about grimore score
3) Save more time not needing to dismantle crap loot :p

Of course it's silly doing to basic strikes to begin with and only do it for the occasional bounty when I get lazy.

Yep, can't blame our guy though. He had never done it before. It was still fun.

If we took the same group through this week it would probably take half the time.

Thats what I was thinking

Once we tasted success we rolled it

That switch to bubble support for Swordbearer really moved things along since it gave him some leeway to make a few mistakes

Kyoufu

I do this for three reasons.

1) Save time, every seconds counts
2) I have no reason to care about grimore score
3) Save more time not needing to dismantle crap loot :p

Of course it's silly doing to basic strikes to begin with and only do it for the occasional bounty when I get lazy.

You get all the rewards even if you depart before the timer ends so you still get to dismantle crap loot. :p

Crota gets a faint orange glow when he stands back up that indicates he's immune to damage for a couple seconds. You can still down him 3 times on one sword though, and kill him with one sword even on Hard mode. Although it's much safer and easier to do 2 swords and only takes ~1.5 minutes longer.

Even with the immune shield you can fire rockets within ~1 second of him standing due to the travel time (and GHorn Wolf Pack rounds will still mess him up even if the rocket hits his immunity). Snipers don't do nearly as much concentrated DPS as GHorn and you need to stagger your shots if using low rate of fire snipers. Crota's shield regenerates almost immediately if it stops taking damage, e.g. Black Hammer's RoF is too slow to prevent shield regen.

Edit: yes, sadly the Crota fight is poorly designed and only the sword person really matters. It can be tough with an inexperienced sword or a complete joke with a veteran samurai.

ich00

That was me with Vault Dweller aka Batman last night. For the second down on crota, I usually do a 3 count once he stands back up to fire rockets again (he has a orange shield when he stands up, once that goes away you can rocket him again). Easiest way to avoid FF is line up on the platform and stand still while firing. If you guys have a gjallarhorne it only takes 2 rockets to drop him.

If you guys need a hand killing him at any point I'd be glad to join and give tips where I can.

Edit: See Boguester's post above, that explains it a little better.

E92 M3

This. Rumble is my favorite mode. Shoot anything that moves, and last minute comebacks galore.

Yeah, plus the pressure of winning because nothing below 1st place counts. It's good stuff.

Maybe, but I find it just as boring as playing with randoms in other modes.

Eh, PVP is just fun for me with random people or friends. Actually play a lot of rumble with friends, too. It's great fun.

That was me with Vault Dweller aka Batman last night. For the second down on crota, I usually do a 3 count once he stands back up to fire rockets again (he has a orange shield when he stands up, once that goes away you can rocket him again). Easiest way to avoid FF is line up on the platform and stand still while firing. If you guys have a gjallarhorne it only takes 2 rockets to drop him.

If you guys need a hand killing him at any point I'd be glad to join and give tips where I can.

You guys were awesome.

Thanks again!

GutZ31

Hit me up this weekend Gutz, I'll convince one of the obvious names to help. I owe it to you after Puma and I barely escaped with a W against your team back on Black Shield :)

I'm hoping to help with more Trials this weekend since my journey to 50 True Skill is almost compete (just hit 46). Then I can join the illustrious ranks of Stabie, Wicked, Rubenov, xo and probably some other DGAF'ers I don't know.

You have sealed your fate good sir.
I will call upon thee come weeks end.
Thank you for accepting the call for help. Feel free to hit me up if you need an extra for newbie raids or such. Always willing to pay it forward.

ocean

Banned

Spear was only an attractive PvP option because people re rolled until they got Final Round. Remove that and you're left with a super slow firing, low AA sniper rifle. For PvE it's wonderful though. It's the only sniper other than Black Hammer with 37 impact. Add a good scope and some ammo perk like Surplus and Extended Mag and you're set.

PvP you want high AA and only as much impact as you need. So Benevolence/Shadow of Veils/LDR/Longbow/Supremacy for 3v3 and LGH/Eye of Sol/the previously cited for 6v6

ethomaz

Banned
Rumble is boring.

Playing in teams is fun.

Playing drunk in a drunk team is the best fun you can have in Crucible.

IB Drunk train FOREVER <3

I will remember you the next time I need a guy :)

Yes an old Spear will pull from the old perk table. You won't see many Spears in PvP after the FR nerf but it'll still be a top tier PvE sniper.

Required perk: Field Scout in middle column, with the elemental damage of your choice (FScout is getting nerfed but I'm sure it'll still be good)

Recommended perk: Surplus. Get double ammo in every ammo pack that drops, including heavy. So every heavy pack that drops gives 4-5 rockets or 6-7 with Ruin Wings also equipped.

Other perks: Not a big deal but Firefly, Outlaw, Performance Bonus are all fine. Rodeo sucks. Final Round will still be damn good for PvE, that extra 33% damage on the highest impact sniper in the game is great.

PvE is a good call, I wasn't even thinking about that. Depending on how things go with black hammer, a nice high impact, large clip sniper may come in very handy.

GutZ31

Crota gets a faint orange glow when he stands back up that indicates he's immune to damage for a couple seconds. You can still down him 3 times on one sword though, and kill him with one sword even on Hard mode. Although it's much safer and easier to do 2 swords and only takes ~1.5 minutes longer.

Even with the immune shield you can fire rockets within ~1 second of him standing due to the travel time (and GHorn Wolf Pack rounds will still mess him up even if the rocket hits his immunity). Snipers don't do nearly as much concentrated DPS as GHorn and you need to stagger your shots if using low rate of fire snipers. Crota's shield regenerates almost immediately if it stops taking damage, e.g. Black Hammer's RoF is too slow to prevent shield regen.

Edit: yes, sadly the Crota fight is poorly designed and only the sword person really matters. It can be tough with an inexperienced sword or a complete joke with a veteran samurai.

To add to Drizzay's suggestions;
If you are finding your team is not able to drop Crotas shield consistently, or in a timely manner, have at least one of them use a heavy machine gun with good range and stability to keep constant fire till his shield is null.
This method works wonders with people who can't seem to fire off rockets in a timely fashion, or stagger shots within the constraints of his shield recharge rate.

ocean

Banned
To add to Drizzay's suggestions;
If you are finding your team is not able to drop Crotas shield consistently, or in a timely manner, have at least one of them use a heavy machine gun with good range and stability to keep constant fire till his shield is null.
This method works wonders with people who can't seem to fire off rockets in a timely fashion, or stagger shots within the constraints of his shield recharge rate.
Whoever isn't shooting Gjallarhorn could use Thorn to block regen I suppose? Or a well chucked Sunsinger grenade with Viking Funeral for DoT. This really shouldn't be necessary though. It's only like 3 rockets to bring him down or 2 Horns. Or one Celestial Golden Gun in Normal :p

Spear is dead for PvP like Ocean said. For PvE, read the post above I responded to Hudson since most of it still applies although you need Casket Mag instead of Field Scout. The stability decrease with CM shouldn't be a big deal on such a low RoF sniper, especially if you get a scope like Ambush that increases stability.

Right now I think (desired element + Ambush scope + Hidden Hand + Casket Mag + Surplus) would be my PvE god roll, although I don't know how big Casket Mag actually is. I rolled one that had all of that except Speed Reload instead of Casket which should still be good. It has max reload speed when using Ambush scope, plus special weapon reload speed gauntlets make it super fast.

Top Bottom