• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

matmanx1

To skate easily, just quickly tap the jump button about 7 times as fast as possible while using catapult as your jump for the fastest travel speed.

Huh. I guess I've never experimented to that degree but why is the multi press method better than just sprint -> jump -> jump cancel almost immediately to then float/skate/hover forward rapidly a foot or two off of the ground? This is using control btw, not catapult.

GutZ31

How long would one have to play to get IB rank to 3 starting at 0?

It gets faster as we get closer to roll over.
Can be 2 days of about 4~6 hours each to get to rank 4 or 5 at the start of iron banner.
Then near the end, it can take 2 hours to get to rank 4, sometimes less.

Pretty complex, I'll need time.

Excellent reference. A+

Crotas timer was moved to the servers, but the damage was done..

Specifically the damage was done by moving Crota's immune shield timer to the servers. Scrota was born so that a bunch of scrubs could no longer cheat their way through the encounter. Still one of the worst things Bungie has done to their game, completely ruined an already bad encounter.

Standing up top during Oracles is cheesing. Pulling your LAN cable out of the wall is cheating.

ocean

Banned
Rep per win: 50

Shader buff: 10%
Emblem buff: 10%
Class item buff: 10%

So if you own them all, every win is 66.55 rep (I don't know if it rounds or truncs though).

Then you have the Tempering buff which stacks on top of this and grows stronger every day. Today is Thursday, so the buff is 25%.

50*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.25 means you get 83 rep per win and 166 rep per bounty today.

Klyka

Banned

So if you own them all, every win is 66.55 rep (I don't know if it rounds or truncs though).

Then you have the Tempering buff which stacks on top of this and grows stronger every day. Today is Thursday, so the buff is 25%.

Hm,I might put in a bit of time then, cause I would really like to buy that Rank 3 light for one of my items :)

GutZ31

Huh. I guess I've never experimented to that degree but why is the multi press method better than just sprint -> jump -> jump cancel almost immediately to then float/skate/hover forward rapidly a foot or two off of the ground? This is using control btw, not catapult.

This is Catapults description :
Upgrades Lift to provide a strong initial burst of momentum.

When using catapult in particular, you take advantage of the "Strong initial burst" by turning it on and off quickly, making you boost forward rather than just outward.

This also gives you more level of control while doing the 7 rapid fire jumps, as you can time them or cancel them as you see fit.

Catapult is a rather quick cutoff jump skill, but is by far the fastest when used for horizontal thrust.

The other jumps are similar, but don't offer the same speeds.

If you start today just by completing the bounties you'll be Rank 2 or near as, then just do the bounties or the ones you can each day and you'll be done by Saturday

Pop fact its quicker to get 3 characters to lvl 3 than 1 to lvl 5 due to the buff

nOoblet16

I don't think what he said really works exactly like that because catapult will only let you boost twice before you have to touch the ground. with 7 taps it should be 3 boosts in total...which is only possible with control.

GutZ31

Is the Iron Banner chest armor good? As in, is it high level armor I should buy as a 32?

I love the look of it.

Subjective.
You still need to use etheric light to level it up to max light level, and if you aren't fond of the ammo perks/stats on the armor, it can be just up to aesthetics.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Is the Iron Banner chest armor good? As in, is it high level armor I should buy as a 32?

I love the look of it.

If you are 32 you should be going for armor that has 42 light on it so you can get to 34. You can always buy it and ascend it with Etheric Light though. As for if it's good or not, depends on the stats and bonuses I suppose. I would probably run PoE's for armor cores/EL and go from there.

noomi

I'm not one to brag about anything, but Happy Birthday to me! :p

Well than... Happy Birthday :D

Seems a lot of gaffer have summer birthdays, including meeeeee!

How many etheric lights can you buy in all in Iron banner?

2, I believe @ ranks 3 and 5

It's "We've woken the hive." You think you'd know it after the 6,000th time.

Hush, you! I was just testing to see.... to see... if you knew... you passed...

Never had to do PoE again. I finished all of my PVE grimoire besides finishing up SGA bounty.

Last night I finished Pulse Rifle kills and Warlock PVE.

Now time to grind crucible.

ocean

Banned
Hm,I might put in a bit of time then, cause I would really like to buy that Rank 3 light for one of my items :)
Once you have a character past rank 2, your Alts get double rep until they catch up with your highest rank character. if you reach rank 3 by tomorrow with one character, reaching it with alts later in the week is super easy.

On Sunday Tempering is 100% so every win is 50*2*1.33 so 133, and 266 per bounty. For an alt catching up that's 266 per win and 532 per bounty.

On Monday things get really crazy. Alts get over 300 rep per win and over 600 per bounty. Reaching rank 3 with an alt on Monday goes so, so fast.

I've known Ruthless for years now (about close to 10 years !!) but I've never met him in person despite the fact that I've met some of his real life friends, that he was the one who got me my first PS3 (as it was not available in my city back then, so I asked him to get it and send it to me), it's just that we were never at one place at the same time. But I consider him a real life friend and I will meet him next week for the first time as will I meet some of the other GAFers here. Basically, due to the nature of interaction I find that some online friends can be as close as real life friends.

This was a heart warming story :) I hope you all post pictures of yourselves drinking beer and standing in lines to play games.

Klyka

Banned
Once you have a character past rank 2, your Alts get double rep until they catch up with your highest rank character. if you reach rank 3 by tomorrow with one character, reaching it with alts later in the week is super easy.

On Sunday Tempering is 100% so every win is 50*2*1.33 so 133, and 266 per bounty. For an alt catching up that's 266 per win and 532 per bounty.

On Monday things get really crazy. Alts get over 300 rep per win and over 600 per bounty. Reaching rank 3 with an alt on Monday goes so, so fast.

I don't have alts, but I'm glad it won't take too long on my character.

I am not really a fan of FPS PvP on consoles, so I'm just doing it for the loot :D

I had no idea about those buffs...

So just any emblem with IB?
That God awful Million Million shader?
And then a class item that you have to be rank 3 (or 4) to buy?

I'm grinding for my first Etheric lights ever. I thought it'd be terrible, but it's actually going much quicker than I thought. This post gave me hope of getting to rank 5 rather than just rank 3. So thanks!

You should try playing with other GAFers, infact since IB is going on you definitely should hop onto a PvP train with me and the lot or any one of the trains really.

Personal performance isn't a factor in Iron Banner as we play for fun (and end up winning most of the time anyway), like even yesterday I bought in a PSN friend who never really played PvP and was very reserved about playing it, worried that she might "drag us down" but for the next 2 hours I can personally say that I had one of the best PvP sessions ever because of how much fun it was with the constant jokes and humour...I hadn't had a PvP session where I laughed that much in a long long time.

Plus you learn so much more about the game when you play PvP together, and what's more you can even get some of the IB gear and improve your inventory ! You might even get that thorn bounty done, since you die much less when you are playing together.

This man speaks the truth. I won't claim to be good at PvP but I've gotten a lot better since I started playing with other gaffers. I used to avoid online PvP like the plague because I was afraid of scrubbing it up. Now, despite Tears telling me how much I suck all the time, I have more fun running PvP than almost everything else in the game.

LiK

Finally listened to the whole Stern discussion about G-Horn. Hah, Yucko and Jerry O'Connell are way into Destiny.

This man speaks the truth. I won't claim to be good at PvP but I've gotten a lot better since I started playing with other gaffers. I used to avoid online PvP like the plague because I was afraid of scrubbing it up. Now, despite Tears telling me how much I suck all the time, I have more fun running PvP than almost everything else in the game.

Tell them Grim!
You suck
But at least it's fun ;)

Not my fault you suck.

What we have here is an inclusive community, basically meaning no matter how you perform in whatever mode, there will always be people willing to play with you / help out. Don't be afraid to ask!

Unless you're Grimlock. You teabag Grimlock whenever you see his orb floating around on a Crucible map for the umpteenth time.

noomi

Finally listened to the whole Stern discussion about G-Horn. Hah, Yucko and Jerry O'Connell are way into Destiny.

There was a short snippet of it from reddit that I linked here yesterday which was hilarious, was there much more to that discussion? I want to hear it haha.

Tell them Grim!
You suck
But at least it's fun ;)

Not my fault you suck.

What we have here is an inclusive community, basically meaning no matter how you perform in whatever mode, there will always be people willing to play with you / help out. Don't be afraid to ask!

Unless you're Grimlock. You teabag Grimlock whenever you see his orb floating around on a Crucible map for the umpteenth time.

These two are still salty over a very scrubby performance they can't ever live down.

#4-3

Tears grab your sword.

phen0m24

And you're good at it. :)

Tell them Grim!
You suck
But at least it's fun ;)

EJ's comment encapsulates my Destiny career.

Not my fault you suck.

Thumbs up 100%!
Even if you wear weird outfits. :p

I can get behind the teabag Grimlock movement, but I would be dead umpteen times plus one.
Hundred

LiK

There was a short snippet of it from reddit that I linked here yesterday which was hilarious, was there much more to that discussion? I want to hear it haha.

Didn't listen to the clip but it was def just one convo.

Just tried out Last Word in a long time (January was the last time I used it)

I'm sorry, Hawkmoon.

TLW is great. I might go back to Mida soon cuz I'm used to HCs now.

th3dude

Had fun on a GAF IB train last night with FRENDEN, PrivateHudson, rene, coy, and save.

x3dCpNC.png

First two games were rough, everyone was warming up. After that we were rolling.

The loss in the middle? We dropped to 5 and were matched with a level 30 who decided it would be a good idea to grab our heavy alone and die. We had a good laugh about that one. After that, the randoms carried us!

Namikaze1

Anyone wants to team up for skirmish? I can't play with randoms anymore. One guy was afk throughout the whole match. Every team I'm put in don't freaking revive anyone.

noomi

Damn I think I've used Catapult all of maybe 3 times. That'll change tonight, and I'll be listening to this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k
The song is literally spelled Sk8er Boi. Who knew?

Also, happy birthday Dave!

Oh god... I remember when that song came out, I was still in high school.... make it stop!

Just tried out Last Word in a long time (January was the last time I used it)

I'm sorry, Hawkmoon.

Don't be sorry, TLW is amazing.

A couple things are annoying about iron banner, primarily the bounties:

1) Promotes randoms or even people on the team to pick up heavy right away because they want to complete the bounty.
2) Promotes people to Cap C when we have A and B because they want to complete the bounty.

Luckily a couple times I skipped the heavy in order to cap B which totally changed the flow of the game and we won. A bounty is cool and all but when we're down 15k to 16k and they have 2 points including B, send a couple people to cap B to change the tide. A win will net you more points overall since you'll complete your bounties over time. Unless you only have a few games of course but then just go in a random team / solo iron banner if you don't want to be a team player. Just my thoughts. Towards the end of your play session if you need something to finish some then of course it's fine.

Just my thoughts. I think about the win versus my bounties. Not waiting a few seconds for heavy just for your own bounty is probably the worst of the 2.

noomi

Oh no!

I just realized I have to go away on a business trip when TTK comes out... SHIT!

Wait... maybe I can take my PS4 with me?!

Damnit :(

Namikaze1

Anyone wants to team up for skirmish? I can't play with randoms anymore. One guy was afk throughout the whole match. Every team I'm put in don't freaking revive anyone.
Anyone?!

Ended up being matchmade with the same fucking people AFK'ing after heading back to orbit.

Top Bottom