• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Dave_6

My BTRD has CQB Ballistics, Hidden Hand, Armor Piercing and Crowd Control. Not sure if I'd want to take a chance at re-rolling it.

You're covering shipping costs right? I don't mind doing it. All I'd have to do is replace the shipping info sticker with yours and send it as is, I think? Well and sign the typical paper for Customs I'd imagine.

I'm debating on ordering this as well and selling my original ps4. Argh

Yeah. Basically receive it and and ship it somewhere else. Of course I'd pay shipping costs. How fair would it be if I didn't?! lol

Anyway, I'm waiting on confirmation if this is the new model or the old one. If it's the new model, I'm so gonna buy it.

Akai XIII

LOVE THEM!

I bought a bunch off of amazon, and replaced all my controllers with them (pretty easy to do)

They do seem a bit taller, but I actually like that better. They feel very good, and make gaming much more enjoyable for me. The DS4 ones are... well... they don't last, and that weird rubber on them is terrible and wears off.

Don't hesitate, do it

tumblr_inline_np4pgrL5eR1r0s7c0_500.gif
which ones did you get? I've got a pad I need to fix so it would be a good time to this too.

Looking on Amazon UK I'm worried about bad sticks.

noomi

which ones did you get? I've got a pad I need to fix so it would be a good time to this too.

Looking on Amazon UK I'm worried about bad sticks.

I got these, and they came with these red gel tab things too to cover the analog stick, I don't use those however. Some people in the comments said they didn't fit, but I've ordered them on two separate occasions and had absolutely 0 issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZSTNKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Has anybody tried already the Hori FPS pad with an Xbox layout? I was considering getting it, but not having a headset connector would mean buying a new USB headset.

Axoman

BTRD almost needs aggball. It lets it kill a whole shot faster. Down from four to three headshots. Puts it on par with Jolders in terms of shots needed to kill, but with a faster firing speed. Pretty beastly.

My roll:

Agg, Counter-balance, Snapshot/Quickdraw, Rangefinder.

My ideal roll would have Hidden Hand. I think Snap is fine for the middle tier as the stability is already ridiculously high. Rangefinder makes for a long distance three hit laser beam of death.

Here is my BTRD. It dropped this way and I think I got pretty lucky.

tqFlB33.png

If you're by yourself it takes about 10s to dismantle a mine. You normally have enough time to cross a map and make it before the timer is at 10s if you pay attention and rush there as soon as it appears.

Titan bubbles, invisible Hunters and reviving Warlocks are all useful for these things.

One detail some people ignore: next round won't start until every ad is killed. After clearing mines it's nice to leave an enemy or two alive. That way you can make sure everyone is revived, your super is charged, you have special/some heavy ammo etc. then you kill enemies and begin the next round without handicaps. This generally isn't required for low level PoE but Hive room with Arc burn is notoriously difficult for example.

Everybody was reviving. The bubble would have helped as the mine was completely surrounded by fallen. The 32 was much easier, but.... We had Ruthless giving advice. One single retry to do it.

Izuna

Banned
Sorry but I totally disagree. Aggressive Ballistics is a must. I had a Matador with Accurized (same impact as Field Choke), and I noticed that when I'd trade from range with another Matador or Felwinter's, I would die while they would live with a tiny sliver of health.

Aggressive/Shot Package/Reinforced or Rifle Barreled are total must haves. Last perk can be pretty much anything if you have those three and max impact and range. Sure, Final Round or Luck in the Chamber are nice (or Kneepads if you want to slide from hand cannon range). But none of those perks come close to the importance of Aggressive Ballistics.

Also, you have it backwards with Shot Package and Rangefinder, or all the PVP pros would be using RF not SP.

--

Here's where you're wrong.

First of all, Aggressive Ballistics and Shot Package makes no sense.

There are some facts to consider:

1. Damage Dropoff (whereby you can't kill anyone with OHKO since your shotty does a percentage of damage)

2. What Shot Package does.

--

Let's look at point 1 first. Range is the only thing that stops damage dropoff. And the interesting thing about Range, is that the Matador reaches its cap with Rifled Barrel with any Barrel that has more range than Soft Ballistics.

That means, Linear Compensator, Accurised and Field Choke reaches the cap. Now don't get me wrong, Aggressive still gives you +3% in Range, effectively making the Matador 64 essentially the cap. The distance is so minimal that all you are getting is that 5% extra damage.

Let me reinforce that if you have reached out of range with the Shotty, 5% difference isn't doing anything.

Regardless, if you are hitting all of the pellets from the Matador 64, you can do just enough to OHKO a Bladedancer even with Soft Ballistics (+ 1 crit for good measure).

--

Now Shot Package is favoured for a reason. Irregardless of what range you are at, getting all pellets to hit a toon doesn't always come easy. If you shoot with Shot Package, if one pellet hits, you can be damn sure they all do.

This means that you are less likely to miss pellets. Having Aggressive Ballistics with Shot Packages doesn't let you kill anyone you couldn't have before. It makes 0 difference in PvP pretty much.

If you are out of range, even if all shots hit, it isn't going to kill anyone.

Now for Rangefinder, the truth is that this gives a SUBSTANTIAL Range boost. Range Finder allows the shotty to do its full damage further away. Test this yourself. This allows you to OHKO from a range that a Shot Package shotty can't. Only problem is, you have to be more precise with your aim.

In my vid, you can see that even if I jump up and ADS, it is possible to get all or most pellets to hit without Shot Package.

My advice would be to keep that Matador since it's essentially the best and if he gets good with aiming them, it's better.

However after the TTK patch Rangefinder won't really be all that useful.

Is hidden hand good on Heavy Machine Guns? I have that on jolders.

I regret it, it makes it hard to focus on a single enemy if there are two moving about each other.

How do folks like their Xbox sticks in their DS4s? Are the Xboxen sticks taller than the Sony stock ones?

I find the taller Kontrol Freeks to be a bit much, but the mid/short boosts to the stock Sony height feel good. I'm hoping the Xbox sticks are just a smiiiidge taller than stock.

(Fixing a broken controller and bought a few Xbox sticks to swap out at the same time. Should be here tonight.)

I use kontrol freaks because I have longer fingers/larger hands and it helps me a bunch. I think that's why I prefer the XB1 controller in general. Whenever I go back to the DS4, I feel like I'm using a micro controller.

ocean

Banned
Is it possible to still cheese Skolas with Ghorns?

(asking for a friend) :p
No. That was only possible because Solar burn made Gjallarhorn 3x more powerful. Skolas never has elemental burns anymore, making the fight fair and fun (if rather pointless in terms of reward payout).

PuMa

I use kontrol freaks because I have longer fingers/larger hands and it helps me a bunch. I think that's why I prefer the XB1 controller in general. Whenever I go back to the DS4, I feel like I'm using a micro controller.

I was just recently thinking about trying out the kontrol freeks. They looked cool and the install is nothing. I gots them small fingers though, so the DS4 is already a perfect for me. Not sure if the KFs would actually be comfortable.

ethomaz

Banned
Removed the all of text.
I have both combinations...

Aggressive Ballistics/Shot Package
Accurized Ballistics/Shot Package

Aggressive Ballistics makes the difference between kill in one shot at middle range in Crucible or needs to give a second shot... it is a must to have perk with Shot Package.

PuMa

No. That was only possible because Solar burn made Gjallarhorn 3x more powerful. Skolas never has elemental burns anymore, making the fight fair and fun (if rather pointless in terms of reward payout).

Fair I might agree with. The fun part...not so much.

E92 M3

It's crazy how Destiny has literally stolen my gametime from everything else - can't remember the last time something like this happened.

Damn Bungie and their ability to make good games. Damn them!

Homeboyd

It would have the latest PS4, but I am tempted to purchase the Titan model to satisfy hype.
Trance. Don't you fkn dare.

If you want a perfect shotgun, then go for absolutely perfect. You might as well, 5% more damage is still more damage and can help in certain scenarios.
Yeah but then if I got it, my PC would be useless. Think I'm going to stick with the PC for now and keep the matty in the vault. Weapon parts/motes will be more useful in TTK than these legendaries, I assume.

E92 M3

Trance. Don't you fkn dare.

Yeah but then if I got it, my PC would be useless. Think I'm going to stick with the PC for now and keep the matty in the vault. Weapon parts/motes will be more useful in TTK than these legendaries, I assume.

You're always the voice of reason to calm my excessive Destiny purchases.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi guys, finally back on solid ground in the States. This thread is nearing its end!

I got in around midnight last night and my brain is still six hours in the future, I am beyond exhausted. I barely even have the energy to procrastinate at work! Was originally thinking I'd be up for running a newbie Raid tonight but I don't think I'd be able to stay conscious through one, let alone lead effectively. Sorry, I know there were a few of you who wanted in on one. Probably not even going to do any gaming myself tonight. We'll pick back up next week with a Vault of Glass run on Thursday, August 6th.

Really getting pretty pumped for Taken King. I just realized I haven't even finished any of my Elder Ciphers yet... lol. I realllllly need to beat Bloodborne though.

lt519

It's crazy how Destiny has literally stolen my gametime from everything else - can't remember the last time something like this happened.

Damn Bungie and their ability to make good games. Damn them!

The only two games I've ever played this much of are Destiny and Myth II, both Bungie games. Diablo III came close.

Hi guys, finally back on solid ground in the States. This thread is nearing its end!

I got in around midnight last night and my brain is still six hours in the future, I am beyond exhausted. I barely even have the energy to procrastinate at work! Was originally thinking I'd be up for running a newbie Raid tonight but I don't think I'd be able to stay conscious through one, let alone lead effectively. Sorry, I know there were a few of you who wanted in on one. Probably not even going to do any gaming myself tonight. We'll pick back up next week with a Vault of Glass run on Thursday, August 6th.

Really getting pretty pumped for Taken King. I just realized I haven't even finished any of my Elder Ciphers yet... lol. I realllllly need to beat Bloodborne though.

Welcome back! Yes, yes you do. Get some energy and then get on that!

Frenden

Banned

There are different height KFs, IIRC. I have one set--the super duper tall ones. A little tall for me. I'd buy the medium height ones if I had to do it over again. But the Xbone sticks may be the right middle ground for me.

I have some RSI stuff in my right hand from drawing for thirty years and I find the DS4 stick just a smidge short too.

It would be good on Sony to start selling PS4 models with a higher HD capacity. With everything being available in digital form these days and PS+ games releasing every month it fills up...fast.

The good news is that it's pretty easy to upgrade your HD (I have a 2TB one), and not very expensive either :)

$214 isn't too bad, probably more than gamestop would ever give you lol.

Also... can you take a look at a few of my bank statements... you seem to have this finance shit down pat :p
Lol I enjoy doing stuff related to personal finance.

I might pull the trigger soon. The only issue is that I would want to upgrade to a 2 TB harddrive (I have no clue how to do this) and replace the new controller (and my old 2) with Xbox One sticks (no clue how to do this either).

--

PICK ME UP FOR IRON BANNER

ocean

Banned
Fair I might agree with. The fun part...not so much.
I like encounters with unique mechanics. During Skolas you have to:

Clean up the ads while
Minding the Servitors so you can DPS Skolas while
Keeping an eye on his health to know when more ads are coming while
Preparing for mines to spawn, during which time you have to rush to cap them while cleaning up to then hurt Skolas more while still minding ads and his total damage taken and then...
Add Devouring Essence which requires communication and call outs and good positioning and rotating as a team so you can kill more ads while playing hot potato and coordinating timely revives and supers

You get the point. It's as mechanically complex as I can fathom a 3 man encounter being. It drags on a little too long but I totally think it's up there as one of the best things in the game.

I just think having static modifiers on every PoE 35 round every single week is pathetic and embarrassing. PoE as a Raid alternative was supposed to mean a fresh, dynamic new challenge every time you went in. Instead I know before starting where and when every single damn Dreg and Thrall will be, it's boring and sad. But Skolas himself? Super fun IMO.

I don't need any loot in the game so I don't run things for the reward. If I did, Skolas would make zero sense. But I like running it of the team knows what they're doing :)

Lnkn52

The eagle has landed. Welcome back.

Axoman

Is hidden hand good on Heavy Machine Guns? I have that on jolders.

I'm not one who could tell you, but according to the reddit reforge guide, it's a tier 1 pvp perk.

Is it better than corrective measure? I still use that thing from time to time.

I tend to think so, BTRD has a lot more impact and can kill in 3 shots. I think the only advantage CM has is the large ammo capacity.

Yeah. That's pretty ideal. I'd trade my roll for that one. I've got two more and that's essentially the roll I'm aiming for on one.

Mmmmm crowd control...you got a good one there

DAT BTRD....still love my Against All Odds though.

Thanks! I used it for the first time the other night in IB, worked pretty well.

todd360

Hahaha and probably 3TB! I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sad this one isn't 1 TB.

Buy 1 tb Samsung evo on sale at kotaku deals for your current ps4. I'd much rather have ssd powered ps4 and destiny themed ps4. Dat lack of moving parts doe. Dat top tier tech doe. Dat ps4 lack of sata 3. Dat cerny f*** up.

Izuna

Banned
I have both combinations...

Aggressive Ballistics/Shot Package
Accurized Ballistics/Shot Package

Aggressive Ballistics makes the difference between kill in one shot at middle range in Crucible or needs to give a second shot... it is a must to have perk with Shot Package.

Take a look at this gif...

http://i.imgur.com/LHR1eo8.gifv

This is Rangefinder and Accurised. With Shotpackage, it's even easier to hit all pellets or to get a crit. Look at the damage numbers.

Aggressive makes ZERO difference here.

Matador does 12(?) hits for 23 damage at that Range.

Max HP for a toon is 220.

FYI: Rangefinder makes the OHKO work from about 3 steps further than that distance.

--

Part of an amazing comeback clip from my team, where I shoot my Matador more: (~5mins) http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Flag/video/5739210

Buy 1 tb Samsung evo on sale at kotaku deals for your current ps4. I'd much rather have ssd powered ps4 and destiny themed ps4. Dat lack of moving parts doe. Dat top tier tech doe. Dat ps4 lack of sata 3. Dat cerny f*** up.

Have you noticed a significant improvement with ssd? I've heard it doesn't make it that much faster :/

It took 30 minutes to export 100 GB of captures to my external drive yesterday. HDD mixed with USB 2 FTL. I wonder if an SSD alone would improve that.

Is this one of the best options for hard drives for the PS4? Why should I pick this over others? (I really want to know since I know nothing about upgrading hard drives)

Dave_6

Welcome back!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have you noticed a significant improvement with ssd? I've heard it doesn't make it that much faster :/

It took 30 minutes to export 100 GB of captures to my external drive yesterday. HDD mixed with USB 2 FTL. I wonder if an SSD alone would improve that.
I imagine you'd be bottlenecked by USB 2.0 in either case there actually, but it's not quite my area of expertise.
Welcome back!

The eagle has landed. Welcome back.

Welcome back! Yes, yes you do. Get some energy and then get on that!
Thanks you guys! :D

Izuna

Banned
Oooh Timur's Lash looks hard... Might roll one with Small Bore to compare to my Ill Will (reloads don't bother me with the Ill Will).

Top Bottom