• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

hoggert

Fuck the weapon smith lol

I have spent sooooo many motes trying to roll a HC with final round and luck in the chamber. Was in a horrible IB match yesterday after a series of good, close matches with the same match made group. Then we got Cauldron, tons of lag, other team ended up with all the good players from the previous matches, my entire team d/ced, etc. I left and then when I went into matchmaking again it threw me into the same damn match lol. Said fuck it, got curb stomped for a bit and was rewarded with a fucking Ill Will. With FR, flared magwell, and LitC. I was so stunned I could say anything other then "cool."

Then I rolled a party crasher for fun (have a felwinter's from TDB with a godroll) and got SP, rb, and LitC on fourth roll. Where's this luck when I'm getting back to back dragon's breaths in nightfalls godammmit

nOoblet16

The game is not worth the time, and I've been too blind all this time, playing for the social element regardless of the game actually being enjoyable. I feel like an idiot for keeping falling in the loot bait all of this time. I can't even play this right and all the time I've been just the load being carried. Every time I have accompanied somebody to an activity I've felt like crap, unable to do anything on my own.

I hate this game. I simply have deluded myself into thinking it was enjoyable because it did not feel as a lonely experience. But it is not worth the rage, suffering and cost of replacing hardware. I have deleted the install already, wiped most of the accumulated friend list and I will resell the game while they still take it.

It was fun while it lasted. But it just makes me feel miserable and hate it more than actually loving it.

I will disagree with you here.
Playing for social element is the backbone of games like Destiny, for instance you would not pick up WoW to play alone and then call the game out for being unfun when it's not what the game is about. Destiny is first and foremost a social game and as such it is part of its game design and because of that it is absolutely necessary that you make use of it. You have to play together to utilize the game's potential of what it is not because the game is bad and jokes and company lets you forget that because the game has fantastic gunplay.

If Crucible is the reason why this is enraging you then it's only natural. Why do you think I keep saying not to play alone ? And why is it that I myself never play Crucible alone despite being a regular PvPer? It's because it's not enjoyable not because it's terrible...but because it's hard to play with people who do not know how to play !. Infact, this is the rule in almost every game with a PvP mode and not just Destiny.

And you'll be surprised how much of the underlined has an effect on your own gameplay/performance and enjoyment.

radiohead1

Neo Member
Couple of quick questions: now that my Hunter is rank 5 for Iron Banner, will my Titan and Warlock rank faster? Also, is it like a stackable buff? Meaning should I rank one other character all the way up before playing with the other because that third character will get buffed by the two fully ranked characters?

Thanks!

ethomaz

Banned
I went from green bar to red bar in that last round.

I don't understand.
I got some matches where every guy got red bar in the middle of it... I guess the reason is related to the Bungie's servers and not everybody else connections.

So no matter what you do in your side the issues will continue until Bungie fix that shit.

Navy Bean

I don't think I received anything. In fact, I had forgotten already.

I'm way too old to get frustrated by a video game but I love the fact that you not only deleted your characters and the game install but also all the associated friends on your list. Go big or go home, I say.

Couple of quick questions: now that my Hunter is rank 5 for Iron Banner, will my Titan and Warlock rank faster? Also, is it like a stackable buff? Meaning should I rank one other character all the way up before playing with the other because that third character will get buffed by the two fully ranked characters?

Thanks!

You'll rank much faster until your character is the same rank as your highest-level character. So if you have rank 5 on one character, you'll lever super fast until you get to rank 5 on another char (same with rank 4, rank 3, etc).

It's a pretty crazy buff. i dunno the exact percentage, but you level super fast

I will disagree with you here.
The game has fantastic gunplay but playing for social element is the backbone of games like Destiny, for instance you would not pick up WoW to play alone and then put the blame on the game for being unfun when it's not what the game is about. Destiny is first and foremost a social game and as such it is part of it's game design and because of that it is absolutely necessary that you make use of it.

If Crucible is the reason why this is enraging you then it's only natural. Why do you think I keep saying not to play alone ? And why is it that I myself never play Crucible alone despite being a regular PvPer? It's because it's not enjoyable not because it's terrible...but because it's hard to play with people who do not know how to play !

And you'll be surprised how much of the underlined has an effect on your own gameplay/performance and enjoyment.

You should notice that I nearly always decline offers to play or make excuses. I am an antisocial gamer that gets anxiety whenever has to interact with another person. Before this I would play mmorpg's alone. I stopped all online back in 2005 and hoped I would never go back, but... I always make the same mistakes. I bought Destiny to see if I could function in an online game, but the answer is again, no. Playing with randoms was a waste of time. Playing with others was painful. During the VoG raid I wanted to bail out all the time. I found fun being part of something, being able to exchange ideas about something, but in the end I don't enjoy this kind of games.

radiohead1

Neo Member
You'll rank much faster until your character is the same rank as your highest-level character. So if you have rank 5 on one character, you'll lever super fast until you get to rank 5 on another char (same with rank 4, rank 3, etc).

It's a pretty crazy buff. i dunno the exact percentage, but you level super fast

Thanks! That should make it bearable. The lag has been so frustrating, that IB has almost not been worth it this time around, even for that ever elusive etheric light.

I'm way too old to get frustrated by a video game but I love the fact that you not only deleted your characters and the game install but also all the associated friends on your list. Go big or go home, I say.

Not that I am going to play online. a character remains yet, but why would I want to see them playing all the time? I'd just make me relapse and start the same vicious circle.

Wow, I never knew this.

nOoblet16

@Appleseason

Coming back to the social cause.
I never bought Destiny when it launched because I didn't like the beta, I always thought it was a worse Borderlands. I was also quite depressed since last year once my best mate left the country and my GF went on an exchange year. I was frustrated, annoyed and honestly quite sad.

I was a big time PvP gamer since my early teenage years but pretty much stopped regular PvP 3-4 years ago and I would even only play video games once in a while because I was not interested in anything except story mode. Then around January this year I bought Destiny after talking to some real life friends who I hadn't spoken to in years as they live in a different country. I played with them every day for months, kept complaining about the grindfest the game was until I played my first raid and then I kept coming back for more because I witnessed a social aspect of the game I never witnessed before.

Then I started posting in DGAF and met the people here. I play PvP a lot now as it brings out my competitive spirit and now I am part of a fantastic clan full of great people experienced and new who all help each other. I can honestly say it has had a very positive effect on my life because despite everything it makes me happy because the people make the game for me. I'd play the game even if it had terrible gameplay (which it doesn't) just because of DGAF since everyone here is so nice. And I am glad that I get to meet two of them next week for real.

I am an antisocial gamer that gets anxiety whenever has to interact with another person. Before this I would play mmorpg's alone. I stopped all online back in 2005 and hoped I would never go back, but... I always make the same mistakes. I bought Destiny to see if I could function in an online game, but the answer is again, no. Playing with randoms was a waste of time. Playing with others was painful. During the VoG raid I wanted to bail out all the time. I found fun being part of something, being able to exchange ideas about something, but in the end I don't enjoy this kind of games.

I've felt the same was as you sometimes, and have similar issues. I can only say not to focus too much on endgame content as that is what the majority of stuff outside of matchmaking is. I hadn't played Trials at all until a couple of weeks ago until someone was kind enough to carry me. I just accept that there are parts of Destiny that I am locked out of (just like PS exclusive basically lol). There are still tons of fun things to do, I really enjoy doing strikes, and even the weekly has matchmaking now. I think as time goes on Bungie will add more and it will be easier to do endgame content.

There's also a lot of really nice people on GAF who don't judge how well you do or don't do. In fact I've noticed it's mostly just me worrying about it, so that helps to put in perspective.

There's plenty of reasons to quit Destiny if you're unhappy, but this is one that can be worked around if you are patient.

suck it ramlocks and blink shotgun hunters. After losing that whole round, this felt so good

FZtHeKl.gif

still lost the round though T_T

Anastasis

Quick question: I've only played the last two Iron Banners, but the bounties seem to be the same every day. I've never seen one entitled "Focused Aggression", but it was mentioned in the weekly update:

Clarification on the Focused Aggression Bounties

Are there different bounties for different people/classes or did whoever wrote the Bungie Weekly Update just not know that Iron Banner is no longer handing out that bounty?

Kurumi

You should notice that I nearly always decline offers to play or make excuses. I am an antisocial gamer that gets anxiety whenever has to interact with another person. Before this I would play mmorpg's alone. I stopped all online back in 2005 and hoped I would never go back, but... I always make the same mistakes. I bought Destiny to see if I could function in an online game, but the answer is again, no. Playing with randoms was a waste of time. Playing with others was painful. During the VoG raid I wanted to bail out all the time. I found fun being part of something, being able to exchange ideas about something, but in the end I don't enjoy this kind of games.

I'm a bit antisocial myself. Actually I'd say more than a bit. But playing games by yourself...that's just not fun. I can't stand it now. It took a while for me to open up to ppl online and play with them when I first got a 360. But I'm glad I did. Just like I'm glad I decided to join DGAF. I wouldn't have met some cool people otherwise.

Sounds good! I'm EST as well. Starting in 1 hour I'll be doing Trials for a while but I'll be around tonight and this weekend if we can get a group going.

We do newbie VoG, CE and first-timer Skolas kills to help people get their Year One Triumphs.

Im down for all of these im getting bored of destiny again cuz i cant really participate in stuff that doesn't have matchmaking. I got sick of trying to solo nightfalls and the last two weeks got some help from destinyGAF and its much more enjoyable.

@nOoblet16

I had not played for years before getting the PS4. In fact the only reason I got back into this was to keep my head busy and play as a coping mechanism against depression and being suicidal. I probably hate Destiny, but at least for 90 minutes per day I'd forget that I am a ticking timebomb while trying to learn its (flawed) mechanics.

I failed to convince real life friends to ply this, and with the people I'd meet in matches... I was too scared to even ask them to play. SO that's why I've been playing all the alone stuff and asked when there was nothing else I can do. But I simply don't work for this kind of thing. After two months I can't open to people and play together. Same trash as IRL, I am.

So I will probably regret abandoning Destiny as it worked like a neverending distraction against depression and GID.

nOoblet16

At the risk of sounding crude I will say that I already guessed all of this because I have seen this so many times in so many people....including myself. My hands used to tremble when playing with other people, I would quit matches whenever I had to do something important and everyone had to watch me do it. To tell you about myself, when I moved to England 5 years ago I came from a small town in India which even people in India do not know about as such had a very very different upbringing and had very different opinions and views on things that were foreign to me. I had never traveled outside of the country let alone traveling alone to actually move out. When I arrived I had a room booked in a student accommodation, I did not leave my room for 2 full days ! I only went out of my room to access the kitchen but only when I could not hear anyone around, I had never even hugged a girl and I was 19 years old ! So you can imagine how uncomfortable I might have been in an environment where it didn't matter what sex you were when it came to making friends. I had never seen these things, or been in such situations and I was shy, anti-social and anxious.

Here's more, I am not from an English speaking country but I did my entire schooling in English yet when it came to speaking/talking I could barely even finish a sentence in English, if you talk to me today without knowing that I originally come from India you would probably think I am English. I attribute it a lot to online gaming that helped me improve my confidence that I could even use in real life ! What I am saying is that, I've been there...but the only way you get out of it is if you try to do it yourself rather than blaming your anti-social behavior and your anxiety everytime something like this happens. You do that and you have an excuse all the time to cop out of something....all the time.

And you would be surprised to see just how many of the people I play with are similar. There are a lot of people here in this thread itself that will post a lot but will barely even talk when playing because they are not comfortable doing so.

Basically you have to give it a try, yes you might say that you did but you tried the worst bit the game had to offer and gave up instead of trying the best bit before concluding it's not for you and that there is some problem with you yourself when it's not. A lot of people feel the same but the first step is to just give things a try a bit longer than you think they deserve, the reason for this being you have your own "comfortable threshold" and once that threshold is hit you bail out, you have to just learn to tolerate things past this threshold this is what people mean when they say try to get out of your comfort zone because otherwise you spend time in that bubble/zone your entire life....that is ofcourse if you genuinely want to get out of it.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to write a lecture/article on this but I just saw so many similarities here to my own situation that I just had to say.

Lunar FC

Lord. They're all p worthless but the Lord is the least worthless.

Lord of Wolves bro!

Queens Breaker is great fun, and pretty solid for PvP. Lord of Wolves is pretty great too, both viable options.

Just no dreggs promise.... please don't :p

Dreg's promise. Definitely Dreg's promise. Don't listen to the people who say it's bad, it's really good. ITS REALLY GOOD. IF I SAY IT ENOUGH IT MIGHT COME TRUE.

Well this doesn't help. :'(

Basically you have to give it a try, yes you might say that you did but you tried the worst bit the game had to offer and gave up instead of trying the best bit before concluding it's not for you and that there is some problem with you yourself when it's not. A lot of people feel the same but the first step.

Maybe I will go back in a future (because I am frikkin' stupid) but for now, it does not work. I just can't bring myself to play with others or socialize. And as you say, without that it is a terrible experience.

Namikaze1

Anyone not doing Trials or IB interested in teaming up for skirmish? So far doing much better than yesterday with just a single loss but that's because I came in the middle of the match and ended up losing just by 300.

LiK

That happens a lot when you play with better players than you.

I have a good k/d in Trials but when I played with Unstabie and Rubenov I was like running to kill one dude per match (most times because my super) lol

or sometimes they just end up killing faster. assists raining everywhere. Unsung Hero medals everywhere.

Top Bottom