• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Deku Tree

I hope they get to fix this before any news site pick up on this, otherwise it will get real nasty real fast.
If what that Throwaway_Pls_Fix is describing is true, the "hack" is pretty simple and there are already a thousands tutorials on the Internet on how to make what is a pretty common and known attack. You just need to adapt it to Destiny's requests and you're set.

Hey Jason can Kotaku write an article about this to try to pressure Bungie to fix it?

Skele7on

Banned
Hey Jason can Kotaku write an article about this to try to pressure Bungie to fix it?

I've explained this and it's NOT on a Bungie level.

It's on a Sony/Microsoft level. I explained that a few posts back but people ignored it.

It's been happening mainly on xbox since the days when Halo 2 was around, I've had a couple of accounts hacked via the methods I stated.

I'm a networks/infrastructure engineer I can draw a pretty picture of the process if you'd like?

ocean

Banned
I don't understand how anyone thinks crucible is balanced in the slightest.
I don't think anyone has ever felt it's balanced. Even those of us who enjoy it are well aware of the crazy balance issues.

That said, you can be successful without shotguns. I never use them at all, ever in Crucible anymore (love them in PvE though).

Shito

I've explained this and it's NOT on a Bungie level.

It's on a Sony/Microsoft level. I explained that a few posts back but people ignored it.

It's been happening mainly on xbox since the days when Halo 2 was around, I've had a couple of accounts hacked via the methods I stated.

I'm a networks/infrastructure engineer I can draw a pretty picture of the process if you'd like?
From what that Throwaway_Pls_Fix is explaining on reddit, it has nothing to do with a Sony / Microsoft account hack. It seems to be a regular man-in-the-middle attack, which is 100% on Bungie's side.
Then again, this is all supposing what that guy is saying is true. :)

Definity

it's not in a way but has a clear meta which you can abide by and be okay in it with.

Therefore there is balance, just not well rounded balance.

Yep. I played some crucible last night and forced myself not to use the meta and I was clearly at a disadvantage. Balance patch can't come soon enough.

noomi

So.... the quickest way to get 1000 kills with auto rifles would be "WE'VE WOKEN THE HIVE" over.... and over.... and over again? :*(

Skele7on

Banned
From what that Throwaway_Pls_Fix is explaining on reddit, it has nothing to do with a Sony / Microsoft account hack. It seems to be a regular man-in-the-middle attack, which is 100% on Bungie's side.
Then again, this is all supposing what that guy is saying is true. :)

I read it but the loop hole is created from the passthrough connection from in this case to the destiny servers to an xbox,
the cuplrit got the IP via sending and receiving a message then used that to then facilitate the attack/rouge request,
This could all be locked if you were allowed to connect via VPN tunnels but no that's against TOS.

Shito

So.... the quickest way to get 1000 kills with auto rifles would be "WE'VE WOKEN THE HIVE" over.... and over.... and over again? :*(
Yes, but I prefer to get my weapon kills by forcing myself to use them for patrols or queen's bounties.
Way slower, but waaay less of a bore.
It's also a nice change of pace from the usual weapons that are currently dominating the game...

ocean

Banned
Lol I got that back at launch when ARs were super good.

I'll never ever get the grim for Pulse Rifles or Side Arms though. Ain't nobody got time for those.

noomi

Lol I got that back at launch when ARs were super good.

I'll never ever get the grim for Pulse Rifles or Side Arms though. Ain't nobody got time for those.

Yes, but I prefer to get my weapon kills by forcing myself to use them for patrols or queen's bounties.
Way slower, but waaay less of a bore.
It's also a nice change of pace from the usual weapons that are currently dominating the game...

I might just start doing this then, auto rifle kills is the only weapon grim I'm missing, sitting at about 9000/10000 now. Everything else I already have.... probably thanks to the old loot cave haha.

Shito

I read it but the loop hole is created from the passthrough connection from in this case to the destiny servers to an xbox,
the cuplrit got the IP via sending and receiving a message then used that to then facilitate the attack/rouge request,
This could all be locked if you were allowed to connect via VPN tunnels but no that's against TOS.
Oh, ok, I see your point about who's responsible for getting the IP in the first place. ^^

Arrrammis

I don't understand how anyone thinks crucible is balanced in the slightest.
I actually tried the combined arms playlist, and it was the most balanced crucible play I have seen in a while. The larger maps mean that effective range is actually a factor, so there is a point to using a scout rifle over a hand cannon(hilarious "fight" with a Thorn user on bastion. His bullets couldn't even reach me, but my scholar was still able to hit him for full damage :)). Everyone always thinks that those maps are sniper fests, but there is plenty of cover and closer combat areas to mix it up if you dislike the long range combat. The vehicles aren't actually that strong (2 shots from the tank to kill you, about 8 on a pike), and shooting someone out of a vehicle is so satisfying.

Kyoufu

So what you're saying is, I should never respond to PSN messages from random people? D:

Just wanted to say thanks to kiguel and MightyKAC for the successful PoE run. We must have killed an entire city's worth of Fallen by the end!

Also thanks to Ruthles for offering to be our backup if Kiguel's internet couldn't get back up.

Skele7on

Banned
Oh, ok, I see your point about who's responsible for getting the IP in the first place. ^^

So what you're saying is, I should never respond to PSN messages from random people? D:

Essentially yes be wary of talking to strangers online as you would in real life.

But honestly by the time you've even connected in a game it's too late.

Your IP is there for all to see if they have the right tools, that's how host booting works.

The message just makes it much simpler to gain your IP and not one of the other players.

ocean

Banned
I actually tried the combined arms playlist, and it was the most balanced crucible play I have seen in a while. The larger maps mean that effective range is actually a factor, so there is a point to using a scout rifle over a hand cannon(hilarious "fight" with a Thorn user on bastion. His bullets couldn't even reach me, but my scholar was still able to hit him for full damage :)). Everyone always thinks that those maps are sniper fests, but there is plenty of cover and closer combat areas to mix it up if you dislike the long range combat. The vehicles aren't actually that strong (2 shots from the tank to kill you, about 8 on a pike), and shooting someone out of a vehicle is so satisfying.
Combined Arms is sweet but GAF won't start a train with me :(

The maps feel fresh because of how little we see them, and the weapon variety is extraordinary. There's just so few people playing that you'll often drop into matches already in progress, which sucks.

ocean

Banned
Essentially yes be wary of talking to strangers online as you would in real life.

Your IP is there for all to see if they have the right tools, that's how host booting works.

The message just makes it much simpler to gain your IP and not one of the other players.
q5epzzbrfpnagkhejqgd.jpg

Deku Tree

So your saying if I turn off PSN messaging from people not on my FL then only someone on my FL could do this to me? How are you certain that's how they got the IP address?

Edit:

But this means it's still Bungies problem to fix.

LiK

Combined Arms is sweet but GAF won't start a train with me :(

The maps feel fresh because of how little we see them, and the weapon variety is extraordinary. There's just so few people playing that you'll often drop into matches already in progress, which sucks.

Combined Arms is one of my most hated modes so I will never play that again.

Skele7on

Banned
So your saying if I turn off PSN messaging from people not on my FL then only someone on my FL could do this to me? How are you certain that's how they got the IP address?

Edit:

But this means it's still Bungies problem to fix.

Not really, as Bungie can't go around creating VPN tunnels for players as then on a top level (Sony/Microsoft) that could trigger as someone using network manipulation which would result in a ban.

lol

Top Bottom