• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

q5epzzbrfpnagkhejqgd.jpg

Ha i didnt read it :p

I'm on Xbox one.

Ah that explains it. We played Diablo 3 on PS4, why did you buy Destiny on xbone?

Fruitless, but fun. Cheers Ruthles. :)

Anytime.

Dear Xur, bring the Bones of Captain Eo tomorrow OR I WILL CUT YOU.

No bones for you!

Hey, gonna get it twice if that's OK. No mic atm.

Sure.

Thanks Ruthless!

Got my 6th Icebreaker and a bucket load of shards :p

Next week maybe!

Shito

Glowhoo is too bright for me. I tried it on my Warlock and it hurt my eyes.
I like to use it on my warlock when playing with friends who get into the game for the first time.

"Ok, where are you, it says you've joined my game and I shoul*OHMYGODMYEYESYOU'RESOBRIGHT!"

Deku Tree

Not really, as Bungie can't go around creating VPN tunnels for players as then on a top level (Sony/Microsoft) that could trigger as someone using network manipulation which would result in a ban.

lol

I'm not a networking expert but couldn't Bungie change the way their servers interact with client gaming machines only for dismantling items in order to make this much harder or impossible to do without creating VPN tunnels?

LiK

I like to use it on my warlock when playing with friends who get into the game for the first time.

"Ok, where are you, it says you've joined my game and I shoul*OHMYGODMYEYESYOU'RESOBRIGHT!"

I also mainly play PVP now and Glowhoo is like making myself a beacon for bullets lol

Skele7on

Banned
I'm not a networking expert but couldn't Bungie change the way their servers interact with client gaming machines only for dismantling items in order to make this much harder or impossible to do without creating VPN tunnels?

the issue would be with any solution from a bungie end would require a fairly high encryption rate,
which by doing that would then cause lag as it's having to take raw data encrypt pass to server and then obviously do the same exercise back to the console.

This is why if it was done on the top layer it would then be a much clearer pass through of encrypted information
which although could cause some lag it would be native vs putting it through the mill at in the middle which cause greater loss to packets....

Essentially this sort of thing was kind of the case that lizard squad /lulsec were trying to put across when they did the hacks.
It's clear that actually these companies don't really give a damn about our personal data/IP's as to invest in such solutions are very costly to them
as they have to change a lot of their own personal infrastructure to then facilitate this level of protection.

I am a nerd :*(

LTWood12

Morning DGAF. Catching up on the thread and it looks like some pretty scary shit going on w/ hosts being able to manipulate your inventory.

noomi

If Xur brings one of the following tomorrow I will be pretty happy.

- Armamentarium
- Crest of Alpha Lupi (Titan)
- Chest Engram
- Ruin Wings

Shito

Morning DGAF. Catching up on the thread and it looks like some pretty scary shit going on w/ hosts being able to manipulate your inventory.
Had I known that last Sunday, I would have let go a bigger shout of joy and relief when getting my second Horn... ^^

OkayRene

the issue would be with any solution from a bungie end would require a fairly high encryption rate,
which by doing that would then cause lag as it's having to take raw data encrypt pass to server and then obviously do the same exercise back to the console.

This is why if it was done on the top layer it would then be a much clearer pass through of encrypted information
which although could cause some lag it would be native vs putting it through the mill at in the middle which cause greater loss to packets....

Essentially this sort of thing was kind of the case that lizard squad /lulsec were trying to put across when they did the hacks.
It's clear that actually these companies don't really give a damn about our personal data/IP's as to invest in such solutions are very costly to them
as they have to change a lot of their own personal infrastructure to then facilitate this level of protection.

I am a nerd :*(

Web dev here. In general, encryption doesn't necessarily have to mean significant latency, anymore. There's enough AES-NI processors in the wild these days that offer hardware-accelerated cryptography to mitigate latency. I don't know enough about PlayStation 4 or Bungie's hardware to say whether or not it's currently possible, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Shito

twitch.tv/djruthles

Streaming Skolas with first timers Wheelhoss and Galavita.

Scrubbiness will ensue... :)
Tuning in!
Won't be able to follow it thoroughly as I'm at work, but this will remind me of the good times I had when you carried hedera and me through it last Tuesday. :)

You are in the right hands, Wheelhoss and Galavita!

Skele7on

Banned
Web dev here. In general, encryption doesn't necessarily have to mean significant latency, anymore. There's enough AES-NI processors in the wild these days that offer hardware-accelerated cryptography to mitigate latency. I don't know enough about PlayStation 4 or Bungie's hardware to say whether or not it's currently possible, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but I'm also looking at this from a design perspective of their networks, following the attacks we've seen no real changes to how they handle packets and also how people interactive with the network if anything we constantly see outages which would suggest nearing end of life hardware being used on a sony side. Which would suggest that currently the hardware that they're running cannot process this sort of encryption?

On the Bungie side yes they could be running better equipment, but essentially in the least offensive way possible, this isn't directly their problem, they're not the ones being paid a sub fee every month that is required to play online, therefore even though they should have accountability and the measures to revert changes (for the fluffy we care business practices) IF there is proven foul play,

the best course of action is prevention of such issues in the first place, not use a work around which I would imagine to administer the amount of requests they'd receive for items to be returned would take an amazing amount of man power to administer firstly to prove that items were "stolen/dismantled" vs actually "dismantled/mistake"

Possible fix though would be to have a sign in pin that is one use every time you wish to connect to destiny servers and email verification if the sign in is from a new IP/PS4

Doh! 28s! I managed to get the two Elder Ciphers I needed yesterday and I was like..."Where the heck can I get keys? I already did Petra bounties on all my characters..."

Thanks for the tip!

Anytime :D

OkayRene

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but I'm also looking at this from a design perspective of their networks, following the attacks we've seen no real changes to how they handle packets and also how people interactive with the network if anything we constantly see outages which would suggest nearing end of life hardware being used on a sony side. Which would suggest that currently the hardware that they're running cannot process this sort of encryption?

On the Bungie side yes they could be running better equipment, but essentially in the least offensive way possible, this isn't directly their problem, they're not the ones being paid a sub fee every month that is required to play online, therefore even though they should have accountability and the measures to revert changes (for the fluffy we care business practices) IF there is proven foul play,

the best course of action is prevention of such issues in the first place, not use a work around which I would imagine to administer the amount of requests they'd receive for items to be returned would take an amazing amount of man power to administer firstly to prove that items were "stolen/dismantled" vs actually "dismantled/mistake"

Possible fix though would be to have a sign in pin that is one use every time you wish to connect to destiny servers and email verification if the sign in is from a new IP/PS4

Anytime :D

Sorry, wasn't implying that you said it was impossible. That was just me thinking aloud about whether it's something they could implement in the future on current-gen.

But yes, if the evidence shows that this whole story is legit and the exploit is a lack of encryption—then yeah, I totally agree. These safeguards should've been there in the first place, but the details of the story are still kinda fuzzy right?

hey DGAF, I have been leveling up my wifes character on her own account since Sunday. went from level 1-30 in 4 days, not bad. I haven't even got either Vangaurd or crucible to level 2 yet lol.

Yesterday I was playing skirmish for the bounty. now Ill be the 1st to admit I am not good at 3v3 crucible. in fact I suck at it. anyway. my brother-in-law and I was playing skirmish last night for the bounty and we got paired with a player named Jacob with the clan tag BNG Crucible. I know this to be a Bungie employee only clan so I thought"cool, you don't get to play with Bungie employees too often."
well, I did badly. mostly due to my own skill in 3v3 but also not having sufficient guns for this type of play. Only been playing this account since Sunday.
after the match was over and we lost, expectedly so, my brother-in-law gets a PSN message from Jacob that says something along the lines of "you suck GTFO" and I get a message from him that says "trash".
Now I dont really care for this type if stuff, but to come from a Bungie employee I feel like I got spat in the face from a retail associate.

Should I seek retribution?
Is this type of behavior acceptable from an employee of the company of the game you paid money for?

I feel employees of the company should be held to a higher standard than the general populace when it comes to professional behavior

what should I do GAF?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
hey DGAF, I have been leveling up my wifes character on her own account since Sunday. went from level 1-30 in 4 days, not bad. I haven't even got either Vangaurd or crucible to level 2 yet lol.

Yesterday I was playing skirmish for the bounty. now Ill be the 1st to admit I am not good at 3v3 crucible. in fact I suck at it. anyway. my brother-in-law and I was playing skirmish last night for the bounty and we got paired with a player named Jacob with the clan tag BNG Crucible. I know this to be a Bungie employee only clan so I thought"cool, you don't get to play with Bungie employees too often."
well, I did badly. mostly due to my own skill in 3v3 but also not having sufficient guns for this type of play. Only been playing this account since Sunday.
after the match was over and we lost, expectedly so, my brother-in-law gets a PSN message from Jacob that says something along the lines of "you suck GTFO" and I get a message from him that says "trash".
Now I dont really care for this type if stuff, but to come from a Bungie employee I feel like I got spat in the face from a retail associate.

Is this type of behavior acceptable from an employee of the company of the game you paid money for?

I feel employees of the company should be held to a higher standard than the general populace when it comes to professional behavior

what should I do GAF?

My first thought is I'd be willing to bet good money dude doesn't work for Bungie.

Namikaze1

LOL this explains so much
No one was lagging till up to that point in the match.

And then our third cost us the match by going lone wolf during heavy and when both teams were down to less than 100 points to win. You ended up getting a kill just as he died. If he hadn't left us, match would have been ours.

Skele7on

Banned
Sorry, wasn't implying that you said it was impossible. That was just me thinking aloud about whether it's something they could implement in the future on current-gen.

But yes, if the evidence shows that this whole story is legit and the exploit is a lack of encryption—then yeah, I totally agree. These safeguards should've been there in the first place, but the details of the story are still kinda fuzzy right?

Ha that's cool well technically an operational upgrade if done via a staged migration could happen anytime,
the issue being is sony outsources servers and I would imagine to some degree bungie would as well as the data centers would be fairly huge I would imagine.
With that fact, I know what a ballache change management via a data center can be and also you have no real control of what these places are putting in and if they're going to get it right, I would be super interested to know what they have been doing with these major planned outage days as they might have already started some form of migration.

But at the same time this is a case that is on the microsoft side, one in which you'd imagine they'd know/own data centers and how to properly encrypt protect data,
I mean their office 365 solution is incredibly well protected and managed, shame they haven't used the same tactics for the xbox division.

The story has got hardly enough detail for guardians to start wearing tin foil hats,
I just wish the degree of detail was on a much greater scale and with actual saved videos rather than two lousy screenshots.

what should I do GAF?

Give me the PSN/GT via PM I'll see if he works there? I very much doubt it though.

piratethingy

look up the clan, it specifically says "Clan for Bungie employees only"

I believe you man. But these people have kids, etc. So many potential excuses. Can't see him really getting in trouble for this.

By all means do whatever you can to follow up but I'd be surprised if something came of it.

piratethingy

And then our third cost us the match by going lone wolf during heavy and when both teams were down to less than 100 points to win. You ended up getting a kill just as he died. If he hadn't left us, match would have been ours.

I know, not only that kill but I had at least one of the other two as well. Eventually killed the second after the match was already over.

LTWood12

what should I do GAF?

I can pretty much guarantee that wasn't a Bungie employee.

I believe you man. But these people have kids, etc. So many potential excuses. Can't see him really getting in trouble for this.

By all means do whatever you can to follow up but I'd be surprised if something came of it.

thats what I was thinking unfortunately. At my job, if I cussed out a customer or said something even remotely rude, id be out the door so freaking fast. I dont want the dude to get fired, but a reprimand would be sufficient.

E92 M3

what should I do GAF?

No way that's a Bungie employee. Did you look at his PSN profile? No creator would spit on their own customer. That's absurd.

LTWood12

thats what I was thinking unfortunately. At my job, if I cussed out a customer or said something even remotely rude, id be out the door so freaking fast. I dont want the dude to get fired, but a reprimand would be sufficient.

Without a doubt, this is a friend of someone in the clan who was able get into the clan through said friendship. Thug-Larz is the admin. Shoot him a psn and let him know what the guy did.

The stability is already quite high, no need for hand laid stock there.
Plus if the last perk is Headseeker then you'd want some recoil and hence less stability.

I dont agree with that. More stability the better. And head seeker isn't something you should want to proc, it's more of a safety net.

Skele7on

Banned
No Robdraggoo is right. If a guy from that clan did, it's an employee for sure.

It's ALL Bungie employees in there.

NLB when there is lag does really weird things, especially when trying to cancel reloads the following shot can sometimes just go completely insane....

I know your feels.

Top Bottom