• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

purg3

slept with Malkin
- 10 second buff to devouring essence
- 5 second buff to mine timer
- all phases should have the same AI spawns (AI still are continuous until you start mines right now I believe.. maybe until you get to devouring.. cant remember)
- add guaranteed primary elemental drop
- add another etheric to the chest
- get rid of lightswitch and small arms

DONE. Then maybe I'll want to run it vs dreading it every single time.

Yeah, I picked last week to do my first 35 PoE. Lightswitch/small arms. 3+ hours later we finished the encounter...

I'm glad we're getting a new community manager, and the subreddit is run well, but man, this description of his duties is total marketing speak:

My job is to be your voice, or at the very least your interpreter, filtering the firehose of information on Bungie.net - as well as on social media. I’ll also be empowering all of you to keep creating the great community content that we all enjoyed throughout year one.

I have no idea what that means. Will he be active in the community or just reading and talking internally, like DeeJ? DeeJ has almost altogether stopped showing up on the subreddit and hardly ever posts on GAF. And what does "empowering you to create great content" mean?

Sorry if that sounds overly harsh, but Destiny's biggest problem is that Bungie is great at listening and absolutely abysmal at talking. And they need to do more talking. I have no idea how Cozmo23 fits into all that despite a B.net post and a DTG post. Which is not encouraging.

Homeboyd

I think all it needs is a checkpoint. It's really not too hard at all, just tedious. As the max-level endgame activity right now, making it trivially easy is probably the only thing that could make that encounter worse than it already is :p
Yeah forgot to add that obvious one. Add a trials card for checkpoints for SURE.

Yeah, I picked last week to do my first 35 PoE. Lightswitch/small arms. 3+ hours later we finished the encounter...

D5D42vy.gif

GhaleonEB

- 10 second buff to devouring essence
- 5 second buff to mine timer
- all phases should have the same AI spawns (AI still are continuous until you start mines right now I believe.. maybe until you get to devouring.. cant remember)
- add guaranteed primary elemental drop
- add another etheric to the chest
- get rid of lightswitch and small arms

DONE. Then maybe I'll want to run it vs dreading it every single time.

The adds are not continuous at all. You can clear each wave out in a minute or so, and then have Skolas all alone on the map, in every phase. You do get an add round when mines trigger regardless of whether there are already adds on the field. They seem to trigger at every ~10% of Skolas' health, so if you take your time to focus on clearing them out, it's really not that bad. If you are constantly DPS him, then you will have constant adds.

The strategy I've used in the five or six successful Skolas runs has been to alternate focusing on the adds, and then Skolas. Then make sure everyone has their super up, before triggering mines.

The only two changes I'd make to it right now are, remove Lightswitch - it's an awful contribution to an already challenging and complex fight. And we desperately need a checkpoint at Skolas, it takes longer to run the 35 PoE than it does to do either raid. I had one run go smooth as butter, no wipes at Skolas, and it still took over 90 minutes.

And yeah, the elemental primary drop rate needs to be upped big time. I have one from a ~half dozen Skolas runs (and it sucked).

Mindlog

The Burns were even worse.

Except Void.
IMO Void + Small Arms on the original Skolas would be perfect. I like going through the mechanics, but current Skolas errs a little on the tedious side.

I place full blame on trying to balance against Gjallarhorn.

Homeboyd

The adds are not continuous at all. You can clear each wave out in a minute or so, and then have Skolas all alone on the map, in every phase. You do get an add round when mines trigger regardless of whether there are already adds on the field. They seem to trigger at ever ~10% of Skolas' health, so if you take you time, it's really not that hard. If you are constantly DPS him, then you will have constant adds.

The strategy I've used in the five or six successful Skolas runs has been to alternate focusing on the adds, and then Skolas. Then make sure everyone has their super up, before triggering mines.

The only two changes I'd make to it right now are, remove Lightswtich - it's an awful contribution to an already challenging and complex fight. And we desperately need a checkpoint at Skolas, it takes longer to run the 35 PoE than it does to do either raid. I had one run go smooth as butter, no wipes at Skolas, and it still took over 90 minutes.
In our run the other night, before the devouring phase started, adds never stopped (maybe I just don't clearly understand WHEN they come out re: his health). Once the devouring phase started, they eventually stopped and we could clear until it was just skolas. Same with mines.

The fight just isn't worth it as it stands and the margin for error is next to 0. I enjoy a challenge, like with HM crota when it first launched, but the rewards for this entire encounter (including the first 5 rounds) is laughable.

purg3

slept with Malkin
The Burns were even worse.

Except Void.
IMO Void + Small Arms on the original Skolas would be perfect. I like going through the mechanics, but current Skolas errs a little on the tedious side.

I place full blame on trying to balance against Gjallarhorn.

The mechanics aren't the problem, I actually like the idea of passing around the taint thing. It adds another layer of communication and team work. It just goes on F O R E V E R. That along with the garbage modifiers and low rewards for the amount of work make it not fun.

MechDX

I'm just going to say, I'm glad I got an Elder Cipher on that run because I will never do it again. It wasn't fun, at all. And yes, the rewards are a complete joke.

I beat level 35 Skolas. Got the elder cipher (Lord of Wolves shotgun is insane fun!) and Wolfs Leash II scout rifle but since I was dead in the arena and my teammates forgot to revive me I got nothing else including credit for defeating Skolas.

I have to do it again....

In our run the other night, before the devouring phase started, adds never stopped. Once the devouring phase started, they eventually stopped and we could clear until it was just skolas. Same with mines.

The fight just isn't worth it as it stands and the margin for error is next to 0. I enjoy a challenge, like with HM crota when it first launched, but the rewards for this entire encounter (including the first 5 rounds) is laughable.

Adds are definitely discrete. But only if you take your time.

I also strongly disagree that "the margin for error is next to 0." Crota's End Hard Mode is like that. You screw up one little thing and it's better to wipe. The runs where we beat Skolas, people die unexpectedly all the time. We've been down to one guy, but we've always been able to recover.

I agree with Ghaleon, the fight is good as is, but needs it's modifiers looked at AND A CHECKPOINT (which it'll never get).

Hell, it's the most fun I've had in the game aside from Vault of Glass. I'd run it over and over if could without going through rounds 1-5.

Homeboyd

Adds are definitely discrete. But only if you take your time.

I also strongly disagree that "the margin for error is next to 0." Crota's End Hard Mode is like that. You screw up one little thing and it's better to wipe. The runs where we beat Skolas, people die unexpectedly all the time. We've been down to one guy, but we've always been able to recover.

I agree with Ghaleon, the fight is good as is, but needs it's modifiers looked at AND A CHECKPOINT (which it'll never get).

Hell, it's the most fun I've had in the game aside from Vault of Glass. I'd run it over and over if could without going through rounds 1-5.
My point that it isn't worth it stands. No matter how hard or easy they make it. (talking about the entire 35 PoE, not just skolas)

Arrrammis

I'm glad we're getting a new community manager, and the subreddit is run well, but man, this description of his duties is total marketing speak:

I have no idea what that means. Will he be active in the community or just reading and talking internally, like DeeJ? DeeJ has almost altogether stopped showing up on the subreddit and hardly ever posts on GAF. And what does "empowering you to create great content" mean?

Sorry if that sounds overly harsh, but Destiny's biggest problem is that Bungie is great at listening and absolutely abysmal at talking. And they need to do more talking. I have no idea how Cozmo23 fits into all that despite a B.net post and a DTG post. Which is not encouraging.
I would like to think that this means he will be doing what Deej used to do with user interaction, responding to posts, feedback, etc. and generally having a presence in the community, since Deej seems to be moving more into the cone of silence area that is Bungie's development department.

belmakor

Well, that was fun.

Finally finished vault on hard, sadly already dead before Atheon got killed. Falling through suppression fields sucks. (~_~;)

But a pretty good loot haul. Got all of the warlock armor I didn't have plus vex mythoclast, vision of confluence and a universal remote in one big drop of items. ♪( ´▽`)

My point that it isn't worth it stands. No matter how hard or easy they make it. (talking about the entire 35 PoE, not just skolas)

That's fair. And if I'm being honest I haven't run Skolas in 2 weeks, despite needing elder cipher points.

It's a fun fight, but it's hidden behind 1.5 hours of drudgery getting there. While it is fun, the safest way to take him down is the slowest. It can take 30-45 minutes for a clear, which I think is too long.

I don't even care about the rewards. It's not worth doing the whole PoE 35 in terms of time vs fun. I hate that one of the best encounters isn't really accessible and likely won't be tweaked ever.

Obscured

I like the XB1 controller a lot better. What are the differences you're experiencing?

I will say the Ps4 UI is so much easier to use.

I like them about the same, with a slight edge to the XB1, looking forward to that elite controller for lots of reasons, but that button remapping is key for me. Switching between Destiny BJ and MCC BJ always messes me up for a little bit.

I haven't played Destiny on PS4 since getting all of my characters to 20, but it felt pretty good on both. I should switch back for a bit and see. I was young with the idea of alternating expansions between platforms since there will probably always be an upgrade both to the current level, but for now I'm out until whatever ends up being next after TTK, if it has enough of what I'm looking for.

GhaleonEB

In our run the other night, before the devouring phase started, adds never stopped (maybe I just don't clearly understand WHEN they come out re: his health). Once the devouring phase started, they eventually stopped and we could clear until it was just skolas. Same with mines.

The adds are definitely directly tied to Skolas' health. If your team holds off on taking out the servitors, and clear the adds, you'll have an empty battlefield sans the servitors and Skolas. Then kill one, damage Skolas, and trigger the next add wave. That's what I've done on every run so far. We spend as much time with an empty battlefield as with one filled with adds. It sounds like not knowing this meant you had too many variables to juggle, which makes it much harder.

On all but one of the Skolas runs I've done, we had at least one and sometimes two newbies, and we cleared without a single wipe on a couple of those. It's a very doable encounter as designed, but you have to know the mechanics and develop a strategy, and keep in constant communication. But Lightswitch in the mix is absolutely excessive.

The Skolas fight is my favorite activity in the game so far (on non-Lightswitch weeks). It's resulted in some of the most satisfying, exhilarating moments of teamwork I've ever had. (It's also resulted in some of the most frustrating - two failed runs on Lightswitch weeks.)
Ok? You see people this very forum that spend countless hours on it and still don't finish it. So.. where does that leave us?

Not. Worth. It.

It's an encounter that requires you to know the phases and mechanics, have tight teamwork and communication, and encourages a mix of subclasses. The best runs I've had so far featured a defender Titan, a bladedancer Hunter, and a sunsinger Warlock. A couple of all Titan runs failed badly.

The main thing is, do it for the fun. If the fight is not fun, then no amount of reward is worth it. I've run Skolas on characters that had already cleared it for the week because I enjoy the fight. But I'll never run a Lightswitch week again, after that last attempt.

noomi

Not about difficulty - it's just the time commitment isn't worth it for the rewards rendered.

This is what kills me as well, I can get through it under an hour but it seems like 8/10 times I get a big fat NOTHING! as a reward

Skele7on

Banned
Ok? You see people this very forum that spend countless hours on it and still don't finish it. So.. where does that leave us?

Not. Worth. It.

well I am always up for sherpa runs to teach mechanics ect.

Honestly if people are interested I am more than happy to dedicate time each week into helping.

nOoblet16

There ya go! That was pretty awesome man! <3 hunters

nooblet MLG sniper!

Seriously I would love to get on this level of sniping. I keep practicing but I'm pretty awful.
You should try Shadow of Veils.
That gun has ridiculous aim assist, forget hidden hand perk, LGH or Her Benovelance. I started using Shadow of Veils today and honestly the aim assist is so high that I actually have trouble aiming because I am not used to my reticule being that sticky to the enemy.

Wait... a $150 controller? The hell?
SCUF controllers end up costing about the same price, 150 is ok for all the customisation. Thing is, SCUF controllers have options in skins, they have a wide range of selection available.

zewone

I like the XB1 controller a lot better. What are the differences you're experiencing?

I will say the Ps4 UI is so much easier to use.

XB1 controller is a miss for me. It's not the worse controller, but I'd rank DS4, 360, and Wii U Pro controller ahead of it.

It feels either too small or the buttons too close together. Something about it just doesn't feel right.

nOoblet16

XB1 controller is a miss for me. It's not the worse controller, but I'd rank DS4, 360, and Wii U Pro controller ahead of it.

It feels either too small or the buttons to close together. Something about it just doesn't feel right.

For me it's the bumpers, it's just a horrible idea to have a pivot mechanism where you roll your finger up instead of a button.

It's just terrible and slow, and the pivoting makes it worse because it limits you to using your knuckles for it.

Homeboyd

well I am always up for sherpa runs to teach mechanics ect.

Honestly if people are interested I am more than happy to dedicate time each week into helping.
You being willing to help people, while commendable, doesn't change the fact that the rewards for a 35 PoE clear for a typical 3-man group in the destiny playerbase are not worth the investment. 5 rounds of unfun encounters that take 30-45 for a very good team to clear (don't get me started on the pilot servitor boring ass round), and then another 20 min or so for again, a very good team who knows the mechanics, to clear skolas to likely get 1 etheric, 1 armor/weapon core and MAYBE an elder cipher is not balanced to other rewards in the game. Luckily I run trials so I have no shortage of etherics, but man PoE in general needs a lot of work.

Btw I also help people with Skolas runs too... have probably beaten him 10 or so times total but mostly only because I don't want to play it. Ever.

Skele7on

Banned
I don't know about that. It takes 15 minutes alone to beat skolas. Maybe I play to conservatively but I think a perfect run takes closer to 75 - 90 minutes.

I can go to the lighthouse in 45 minutes. That gives me way better rewards. Yeah I go with not worth it.

Yeah no doubts about that.

You being willing to help people, while commendable, doesn't change the fact that the rewards for a 35 PoE clear for a typical 3-man group in the destiny playerbase are not worth the investment. 5 rounds of unfun encounters that take 30-45 for a very good team to clear (don't get me started on the pilot servitor boring ass round), and then another 20 min or so for again, a very good team who knows the mechanics, to clear skolas to likely get 1 etheric, 1 armor/weapon core and MAYBE an elder cipher is not balanced to other rewards in the game. Luckily I run trials so I have no shortage of etherics, but man PoE in general needs a lot of work.

Btw I also help people with Skolas runs too... have probably beaten him 10 or so times total but mostly only because I don't want to play it. Ever.

Yeah helping people is usually a grind but what we usually do is take one in at a time and teach them the mechanics it's far easier to carry that way.
Yeah most of the rounds are pretty average, I like the ARC burn round it's always a laugh, as for Pilot he's awful, Skolas is a lot of fun though.

DeathJr, sorry for leaving like that. I was going to log out when you sent me the invite. I will be back in 60 minutes. Maybe we can do Nightfall or something later. Not sure what happened in Gorgon Maze, but maybe I have to adjust brightness. I was completely blind and did not know where to go after picking the chest.

Update: I finally got a legendary class shotgun. I haven't even checked it yet, but I was missing a void damage weapon. On another note, although I die a lot I am starting to rank slightly better in crucible.

Homeboyd

I guess I don't see how using your leaderboard highlight of your best-ever-skolas run with your group who probably runs it a lot, makes it any more worthwhile to the general population who doesn't.

Top Bottom