• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Namikaze1

Gjallarhorn
If Destiny had a nuke it would be the “Ballerhorn.” We definitely intended to have a high damage Heavy Weapon that was ideal for PvE destruction. What we did not intend, and what we unfortunately saw, was pick up Raid and Nightfall groups gating participation based on whether or not players had this weapon. Gjallarhorn was so strong that for many people it had become the only answer to getting through tough encounters, and therefore they were less willing to spend time with other players that didn’t have it. I mean, it's also partly our fault. We only sold Gjallarhorn once and that was back at week 2. I don't blame anyone really. We did made HM Crota a pain in the ass for you all. Of course some of you would want folks with Gjallarhorns. If only we had sold it a few more times. If only we didn't make some enemies into bullet sponges. If only. Oh well, what's done is done.

Buy Taken King! ;)

AaronMT86

I don’t understand the Ice Breaker nerf. Why the change in 5 to 8 second change?

Also, re: Black Hammer. Will White Nail not work anymore?

SgtCobra

Bungie should really prevent the exotic scouts to become the next meta like some people are predicting right now. Same goes for the S-tier pulse rifles.

Hopscotch Pilgrim is your new overlord.
We really don't know how it will act after the patch yet. Things are not finalized I guess.

Hahahaha nice.

I don't get it.

These nerfs are a good thing. Thorn will be less deadly in PVP. Shot Package shotguns will be less deadly in PVP. Gjallarhorn won't be as much cheese as it is currently. Black Hammer won't be as ridiculously ridonculous as it is currently.

These nerfs will promote loadout variety rather than everyone and their mother using the same 3 weapons in every single activity.
I wholeheartedly agree, people will get used to it. I now wanna see how the top players will adapt to these changes now that the meta guns are nerfed, so so so sooo good. It should be interesting.

The backlash to the Gjallarhorn nerf is going to be big though.

What legendary hand cannon has the fastest ROF?
Red Hand XI is pretty high, the weapon does a very good job of being a decent balanced (and not a Hawkmoon wannabe like the Ill Will/Timur's Lash) legendary in pvp. Get it while it's still hot.
I don't know about The Fulcrum though.

Kyoufu

No, it won't.

People will just find the new meta (likely Red Death and MIDA).

Shotgun nerf doesn't sound harsh enough. Expect to still be blink/sliding shotgunned.

The game will always be about that, but nerfing weapons that kill you moments after you've been shot is the right thing to do. We've all complained about Thorn, we all get rocked by it every single day and we all know it needs to be toned down.

Shotguns should still be very good at close range. Keyword: Close. They had to nerf the range and they will and that's all I wanted.

Matchew

I just can't grasp the nerf they're doing to Icebreaker. I don't even use it but find the nerf insane. 8 seconds per reload shot? At this point they might as well just strip the title of Exotics off all of these weapons.

That's my problem with the changes. Why grind? Why try to get anything. Grinding for a black hammer? Why? You can buy one now that isn't much different from a vendor. I feel that if you grind for a legendary or an exotic it should be powerful and it should be the gun that gives you a reason to grind in a game that has so little content to begin with.

purg3

slept with Malkin
judging from the damage falloff pics they posted, the auto rifle buff really doesn't look that great. I guess we will see when in play.

I was just thinking the same thing. They will most likely still be shit. Everyone will be using Scout rifles as primaries now anyway.

That's what I don't get. Why make such drastic changes to old exotics? Just make the new content harder and leave them alone. The fucking nightfall are cheese fest anyway

CREMSteve

Took me ten damn months to finally get a Ghorn, and once it finally drops, I get a few weeks with it before they announce the nerf. Fuck me.

I HATE that they are nerfing guns in PVE. Absolutely hate it. Stop telling which guns you want me to use or how you want me to use them. Just let me play the fucking game and have fun.

Bungie doesn't know when to just back off and let things be. Updates should be for fixing glitches and adding new content.

LiK

Ice Breaker nerf makes no sense. i hardly see people use it these days. it's gonna be garbage tier for fast-paced PVE strikes/raids.

Daemul

Handcannon changes

Changes:
Start damage falloff closer to the player to limit long range lethality
Small reduction in ADS accuracy, targeted at making long range snap-shooting less reliable
Reduce final accuracy when firing from hip
-Fast firing from hip is less reliable
Reduce magazine size for all base inventory stats
Reduce base Optics (zoom) for all Hand Cannons
-ADS now grants more width in favor of depth

I'm guessing the Thorn magazine size is going back to pre-buff levels.

zewone

The game will always be about that, but nerfing weapons that kill you moments after you've been shot is the right thing to do. We've all complained about Thorn, we all get rocked by it every single day and we all know it needs to be toned down.

Shotguns should still be very good at close range. Keyword: Close. They had to nerf the range and they will and that's all I wanted.

Then you are crazy.

well the current PvP is fucking awful. Iron Banner broke me and I was done until they nerfed the hand cannons.
You all must realize that new exotic will take Thorns (and hand cannons) place, right?

You're going to get killed incredibly fast by Red Death and Messengers. MIDAs ridiculous flinching perk will be the new annoyance. Shotguns not nerfed enough still. This changes nothing except the names on your death screen.

neoism

…Until Lord Saladin started selling Felwinter’s Lie! The availability of a powerful, long range Shotgun that could be Reforged until the perfect perk arrangement showed up made this combination very prevalent. In House of Wolves, we continued to allow Reforging on other ranged Shotguns. Soon after, what we thought would be exciting edge cases in our weapon population became the new normal. Rather than hit the Range stat again, we are directly targeting the Shotgun perks that push out Shotgun lethality distance: Shot Package and Rangefinder.
The PVE boost to Shotguns in 1.1.1 was significant, and since then we’ve seen groups of Guardians gang up with their boom sticks and trivially roll through some pretty tough PVE encounters. The reward of gut blasting a hulking enemy is super sweet, but that close-quarters action could benefit from a slight reduction in outgoing damage.
will this fuck up my lie... ;__; or is it just new shottys ?

When will the weapon changes be implemented? I just reforged my Party Crasher and as a shitty pvp player, I need all the help I can get to finish that damn Invective bounty.

XenoRaven

I don’t understand the Ice Breaker nerf. Why the change in 5 to 8 second change?

Also, re: Black Hammer. Will White Nail not work anymore?
White Nail works, but it's only good for not having to stop to reload now. It takes ammo out of your reserve when it procs so you don't get "infinite" ammo out of it.

For example, right now, when White Nail procs, your magazine will refill with no ammo lost. With the change, you will be at 0/18 on ammo when White Nail procs, then you will go to 3/15. If you get the proc at 0/15, you will go to 3/12, and so on until you have no reserve ammo left.

t0rment

not even buying the ttk now. fuck you bungie, always ruining the fun out of the game, just so we have to spend more time in awful sponge bosses and over leveled content.

once again pvp ruins the day.

Holy shit, you know the only thing is... Its not like this game is full of content, let's face it. Most of us play to chase gear. If they keep nerfing everything, what is the point.

They better really have a full blow you away narrative to the Taken King. And BTW, can we get back to the original story or at least PRETEND there is a cohesive universe going on?

DNAbro

You all must realize that new exotic will take Thorns (and hand cannons) place, right?

You're going to get killed incredibly fast by Red Death and Messengers. MIDAs ridiculous flinching perk will be the new annoyance. Shotguns not nerfed enough still. This changes nothing except the names on your death screen.

then this game will be in a perpetual state of suck. pvp has kinda been like that.

Kyoufu

Took me ten damn months to finally get a Ghorn, and once it finally drops, I get a few weeks with it before they announce the nerf. Fuck me.

I HATE that they are nerfing guns in PVE. Absolutely hate it. Stop telling which guns you want me to use or how you want me to use them. Just let me play the fucking game and have fun.

Bungie doesn't know when to just back off and let things be. Updates should be for fixing glitches and adding new content.

I hate to say this, because I enjoy the shit out of Gjallarhorn, but it needed a nerf. The nerf was inevitable. We all knew deep down inside it was coming at some point.

You can Gjallarhorn cheese 99% of the content in the game. This weapon turns just about everything into fodder which makes it an exclusively used exotic that makes all your other exotic weapons completely irrelevant.

When one item makes all your other items irrelevant, then that's a huge problem.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I feel really bad for Hand Cannon lovers. Nobody asked for these changes. We just wanted to stop getting sniped by medium range weapons. Who was complaining about all hand cannons bungie? Nobody. Nobody was.

Namikaze1

You know what I want to read next week? Changes, additions, and fixes being made to PvP. Not talking about weapon balancing. Talking about Iron Banner lag, regular crucible lag, random disconnections, custom games, the whole shebang.

ocean

Banned
What legendary hand cannon has the fastest ROF?

Without considering perks, any Hand Cannon is a 3-headshot kill. In this scenario, a low impact Hand Cannon like The Devil You Don't has the lowest TTK.

Luck in the Chamber and Final Round boost damage by 33% though, making it possible to get a 2 headshot kill with a medium-impact Hand Cannon like The Devil You Know or Red Hand IX.

Without lucky bullets:
Low Impact (TDYD, Revelator, Up The Ante): 0.73s
Middle Impact (TDYK, Jewel, Fatebringer et al): 0.86s
High Impact (Ill Will, Timur's Lash): 1s

For reference:
High Impact Pulse Rifles (Messenger, Pilgrim): 0.73s
Middle Impact Pulse Rifles (Allfate, Red Death, 9th Edict): 0.67s

High Impact Scout Rifles (Scholar, Ghaleon's): 0.8s
Middle Impact Scout Rifles (Fang, Salvation State, Rapier): 1s

LiK

You know what I want to read next week? Changes, additions, and fixes being made to PvP. Not talking about weapon balancing. Talking about Iron Banner lag, regular crucible lag, random disconnections, custom games, the whole shebang.

dat lag will never be fixed

Zoidberg

When will the weapon changes be implemented? I just reforged my Party Crasher and as a shitty pvp player, I need all the help I can get to finish that damn Invective bounty.

With the taken king. September is going to be an interesting month with all the taken king changes in the game.

noomi

So wait... Is all ammo for handcannons getting reduced? That sucks.... Why?

Also lets keep in mind that these changes aren't final and could very possibly get better/worse...

phen0m24

I feel really bad for Hand Cannon lovers. Nobody asked for these changes. We just wanted to stop getting sniped by medium range weapons. Who was complaining about all hand cannons bungie? Nobody. Nobody was.

Thorn and TLW were the major offenders.

RIP PvE shotguns, it was fun while it lasted. We should have known it was too good to be true.

I don't really care about Ice Breaker and I haven't even had the Horn for 2 months. Hand Cannons needed work, no doubt.

BUT WHY MESS WITH SHOTGUNS, BUNGIE???

10010d1372746723-kornheiser_why.jpg

Kyoufu

Exactly. So...if you're not a fan of PvP already, this update will do nothing for you. It just annoys people who already do enjoy PvP.

I find it hard to believe that anybody actually enjoys current PVP and doesn't cheese with a Hand Cannon and/or Shot Package Shotgun.

I'm sorry, but PVP in its current state is a pile of steaming turd no matter how fun Unstable's streams are to watch.

Lima

Yes this means I can't get two shotted across the map by a fucking hand cannon anymore. I'm not mad now if someone outguns me with a pulse or scout and I will not be mad after the update. A Mida against Mida is an actually interesting and great gunfight because it takes 4 headshots to kill and is not over in .36 seconds.

You are just plain wrong on this or like I said crazy if you don't think crucible is going to be a better place after this.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I hate to say this, because I enjoy the shit out of Gjallarhorn, but it needed a nerf. The nerf was inevitable. We all knew deep down inside it was coming at some point.

You can Gjallarhorn cheese 99% of the content in the game. This weapon turns just about everything into fodder which makes it an exclusively used exotic that makes all your other exotic weapons completely irrelevant.

When one item makes all your other items irrelevant, then that's a huge problem.

It really isn't THAT powerful. It's just better than other rocket launchers and should continue to be so. There SHOULD be overpowered weapons in the game. Going overboard with balancing kills the fun of games like Destiny

zewone

I find it hard to believe that anybody actually enjoys current PVP and doesn't cheese with a Hand Cannon and/or Shot Package Shotgun.

I'm sorry, but PVP in its current state is a pile of steaming turd no matter how fun Unstable's streams are to watch.
Please explain how the new changes will make the game better.

noomi

Well, at least using the hard light and Monte Carlo should be possible again... Maybe?

Anyway, RIP shotguns and handcannons I guess :(

Wonder who our new leaders will be?

SgtCobra

Tomorrow is gonna be fun on YouTube.

I have to agree with you. I don't mind the fixes and while I love my scouts a pvp doninated by (exotic) high impact pulse rifles and Mida/other scouts is not fun, it engenders close/mid range combat. Again, I really hope Bungie looks into this.

That would be also nice.

Rainmaker

Banned
and with this I think I'm officially not coming back. I was planning on taking a break until TTK but I just cancelled that. They clearly still don't get it. I'm glad a lot of you still enjoy it though. There were a few weird things they did to guns here that I'm just turned off by. The content was repetitive and that's why Gjallahorn was used so much. A lot of people just wanted to get through the stuff as fast as possible after the first time. It was a powerful weapon that felt special. Something missing from this game most of the time. Everything is RNG so yeah, not everybody could have it. The Last Word was a legitimate fun gun to use. WHY DO ANYTHING TO THE ICEBREAKER?! The guns that needed to be fixed are JUST now seeming to get fixed. It's been forever.

I'm not good at PVP. I think it's a mess and no matter how much I play I can't get into it. I've never been able to even get help getting the coolest armor in the game because it's behind ToO. They can't/won't divide the stats between PvP and PvE and that SUCKS. There was never enough loot in the game so it turned into a "gotta collect 'em all" scenario and now my vault will never get bigger. Just frustrating. This game could have been and should have been one of the greatest games ever made.

It's crazy how much leeway people keep giving this game when it's been nothing but a total and constant mess and a scam since release. I was one of those for so long but not anymore. On one side you get constantly mad fun of for liking the game or finding any enjoyment in it and on the other side you have people just blindly digging into whatever Bungie wants to feed you. I'm done. Hopefully they start doing better by all of you who are so loyal to it. For the most part this is a great community and I think you all deserve better. Whatever that may be.

Sorry. I had to vent. This game keeps adding and adding to the problems. Constant one step forward two step back scenarios. What an absolute waste of great feeling shooting mechanics and beautiful graphics. Now I'm through. Sorry for the disturbance. Keep enjoying it.

Arrrammis

Everyone is going crazy over the exotic changes and I'm just sitting quietly in the back, three shotting people with my scholar from basically the entire map of skyshock.

Top Bottom