• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Gjallarhorn
If Destiny had a nuke it would be the “Ballerhorn.” We definitely intended to have a high damage Heavy Weapon that was ideal for PvE destruction. What we did not intend, and what we unfortunately saw, was pick up Raid and Nightfall groups gating participation based on whether or not players had this weapon. Gjallarhorn was so strong that for many people it had become the only answer to getting through tough encounters, and therefore they were less willing to spend time with other players that didn’t have it. I mean, it's also partly our fault. We only sold Gjallarhorn once and that was back at week 2. I don't blame anyone really. We did made HM Crota a pain in the ass for you all. Of course some of you would want folks with Gjallarhorns. If only we had sold it a few more times. If only we didn't make some enemies into bullet sponges. If only. Oh well, what's done is done.

Buy Taken King! ;)

#Dead

Lima

Please explain how the new changes will make the game better.

It doesn't work like this. Explain why keeping the shit show that PvP is now is better. Oh yeah right you can't.

I won't be decimated by a 2 headshot Thorn from the other side of the map.

That there, is a better game than the one we have now. End of discussion :p

This.

Zewone you are absolutely bonkers. Also literally the first person I've heard that plays PvP in this game often and likes the current state of it.

ocean

Banned
Exactly. So...if you're not a fan of PvP already, this update will do nothing for you. It just annoys people who already do enjoy PvP.

Untrue. Nobody's suggesting everything will be equally effective now. But if the meta changes from having 2 viable primaries to having even a half dozen, it will feel completely different.

- Removing Final Round bullshit
- Nerfing Shot Package bullshit
- Cutting down Thorn's effectivity
- Making Auto Rifles and Scout Rifles something other than an utter handicap
- Reducing the effectivity of Proximity Detonation

These are all meaningful changes that will make the game more enjoyable for the majority of players. If you don't like them, congrats! You're an inevitable part of literally any change one could ever come up with: those who don't like it. And as an opinion, that's perfectly valid. But to say this just annoys people who enjoy PvP is inaccurate.

zewone

Yes this means I can't get two shotted across the map by a fucking hand cannon anymore. I'm not mad now if someone outguns me with a pulse or scout and I will not be mad after the update. A Mida against Mida is an actually interesting and great gunfight because it takes 4 headshots to kill and is not over in .36 seconds.

You are just plain wrong on this or like I said crazy if you don't think crucible is going to be a better place after this.
How is two shotting you with a pulse different than been two shot by a hand cannon?

Pulse can kill you from further with incredible accuracy.

noomi

Guys look at the bright side...

Once Bungie nerfs the ghorn, Xur will sell it. Maybe even sell it before TTK so people can enjoy it for a few weeks.

:/

Ramirez

Games like this will always be tuned, weapons will come and go, why get outraged over it? The current meta is awful and has been due for a rebalance.

Anyone who thought Horn wasn't going to be eventually nerfed was delusional.

Exactly. So...if you're not a fan of PvP already, this update will do nothing for you. It just annoys people who already do enjoy PvP.

Still, shotgun nerf, thorn nerf. Even if you think it's not enough, it's better than what it was before. Curious to see how red death and other pulse rifles will turn out, but I prefer getting killed by some accurate pulse shooting instead of a ridiculous shotgun or thorn that, even if the burn doesn't kill you takes you out of the game for so long before your health goes back up.

And of course it's painful to part from the Horn and BH, because you know them as being increadibly OP. but now they're actually just being balanced to fit within the rest of the weapon arsenal it's all "fuck this game, I'm done".

Lima

How is two shotting you with a pulse different than been two shot by a hand cannon?

Pulse can kill you from further with incredible accuracy.

So we are just disregarding the pulse rifle changes? Making most pulse rifles a 3 shot burst kill if you run max armor (like you should).

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

I'm pretty sure most people would agree with that. But they didn't simply change Thorns range, they had to go further. And on top of that nerf all hand cannons. WTF?

Deku Tree

Gjallarhorn
If Destiny had a nuke it would be the “Ballerhorn.” We definitely intended to have a high damage Heavy Weapon that was ideal for PvE destruction. What we did not intend, and what we unfortunately saw, was pick up Raid and Nightfall groups gating participation based on whether or not players had this weapon. Gjallarhorn was so strong that for many people it had become the only answer to getting through tough encounters, and therefore they were less willing to spend time with other players that didn’t have it.

We strive for Destiny to be a place where a single weapon or strategy does not dictate how, or with whom, you spend your time. In the new world Gjallarhorn is still worthy of its legacy as an exotic Heavy Weapon, but we hope it promotes inclusive behavior rather than exclusivity.
Changes
Reduce damage of Wolfpack Rounds

DestinyLFG killed the mighty ghorn. They're going to brutally nerf the damage to those Wolfpack rounds so bad that you'll start using Hunger of Crota again.

859413440.gif

Kyoufu

Fucking PVP ruins everything.

God forbid a gun feels powerful and fun. Fuck this game.

Well, not everything. Gjallarhorn's nerf isn't related to PVP whatsoever. That weapon is certainly powerful and fun, but also trivialises the vast majority of the content in the game.

SgtCobra

Fucking PVP ruins everything.

God forbid a gun feels powerful and fun. Fuck this game.
This is something I don't understand.
Why the hell would you nerf weapons for both modes? They're all fine right now in PvE (the shotguns are a bit on the strong side but ok)
Not everyone plays pvp and Bungie needs to know this.

DestinyLFG killed the mighty ghorn. They're going to brutally nerf the damage to those Wolfpack rounds so bad that you'll start using Hunger of Crota again.
Lets get retro and whip out that good ol' Hezen Vengeance out of your vault!

neoism

Ice Breaker
We’ve all done it. Hunker down in the back of the map with your lunch box, picnic table, a sci-fi paperback, and Ice Breaker. Kill all the enemies, wait for more to show up, kill those ones too, put a few shots on the boss, make a sandwich, finish the strike, and then collect your reward-that-isn’t-Hawkmoon and move on. The recharging ammo of Ice Breaker has become a staple for the PvE game. We don’t want to completely destroy that, because a really great thing happens when all of a sudden you need Ice Breaker and you’re still waiting on that next round to show up. In that moment there is an interesting tension at play; you need to think about how you spend your next few seconds while it recharges. We are going to amplify that tension by increasing the recharge duration by a few seconds.

Changes:
Increase recharge time for Ice Breaker rounds to 1 every 8 seconds. Was 1 round every 5 seconds
Gjallarhorn
If Destiny had a nuke it would be the “Ballerhorn.” We definitely intended to have a high damage Heavy Weapon that was ideal for PvE destruction. What we did not intend, and what we unfortunately saw, was pick up Raid and Nightfall groups gating participation based on whether or not players had this weapon. Gjallarhorn was so strong that for many people it had become the only answer to getting through tough encounters, and therefore they were less willing to spend time with other players that didn’t have it.

Equipped Heavy Weapon Popularity (PVE)

We strive for Destiny to be a place where a single weapon or strategy does not dictate how, or with whom, you spend your time. In the new world Gjallarhorn is still worthy of its legacy as an exotic Heavy Weapon, but we hope it promotes inclusive behavior rather than exclusivity.

Changes
Reduce damage of Wolfpack Rounds
WHY WHY WHY..........

127.gif

This is something I don't understand.
Why the hell would you nerf weapons for both modes? They're all fine right now in PvE (the shotguns are a bit on the strongs side but ok)
Not everyone plays pvp and Bungie needs to know this.
Because Bungie isn't capable of understanding the concept of PVE and PVP being two separate things.

oSoLucky

Well, not everything. Gjallarhorn's nerf isn't related to PVP whatsoever. That weapon is certainly powerful and fun, but also trivialises the vast majority of the content in the game.

I think there's a huge problem with health of some enemies in PvE to begin with, which leads to the over-reliance on G-Horn.

zewone

It doesn't work like this. Explain why keeping the shit show that PvP is now is better. Oh yeah right you can't.

This.

Zewone you are absolutely bonkers. Also literally the first person I've heard that plays PvP in this game often and likes the current state of it.
Who gives a shit if you're two shot by Thorn versus being two shot by a pulse? How does one bother you less? The changes made make some of the more fun guns to use less fun. That's what makes it worse. TTK will be so similar that all you're doing to nerfing my fun.
Untrue. Nobody's suggesting everything will be equally effective now. But if the meta changes from having 2 viable primaries to having even a half dozen, it will feel completely different.

- Removing Final Round bullshit
- Nerfing Shot Package bullshit
- Cutting down Thorn's effectivity
- Making Auto Rifles and Scout Rifles something other than an utter handicap
- Reducing the effectivity of Proximity Detonation

These are all meaningful changes that will make the game more enjoyable for the majority of players. If you don't like them, congrats! You're an inevitable part of literally any change one could ever come up with: those who don't like it. And as an opinion, that's perfectly valid. But to say this just annoys people who enjoy PvP is inaccurate.
Final Round is a good change. That one I do agree on.
Shotgun nerf doesn't sound strong enough. Will likely be the same. Thorn doesn't matter, something will just takes its place. Its as annoying as SUROS once was and then Thorn took over. Its inevitable. ARs and and Scouts will still be crap. Buffs don't sound strong enough. G&H change with base increased blast radius doesn't sound like an effective change.

So....one good change. Congrats, Bungie.

ocean

Banned
I find it hard to believe that anybody actually enjoys current PVP and doesn't cheese with a Hand Cannon and/or Shot Package Shotgun.

I'm sorry, but PVP in its current state is a pile of steaming turd no matter how fun Unstable's streams are to watch.

I think PvP needs a bunch of changes, and these are a good start. But it's a bit much to suggest nobody can enjoy it. I have a lot of fun in PvP and so do many others, even while recognizing some things need changing.

And I never use shotguns at all.

Kyoufu

I'm pretty sure most people would agree with that. But they didn't simply change Thorns range, they had to go further. And on top of that nerf all hand cannons. WTF?

Well Thorn isn't the only OP HC in the game. Hawkmoon had to be toned down as well as TLW.

TLW in particular is ridonculous. Unstable gets kills he shouldn't be getting with that thing.

They're also fixing a bug which makes TLW more broken. This is a good thing guys.

Guys guys guys, these changes are a good thing. A good thing!

purg3

slept with Malkin
GHorn being sold tomorrow or next week. Calling it right now.

"So were are nerfing the most iconic and sought after weapon in the game into the ground. With that being said, GHORNS FOR EVERYONE!"

-fuck you bungle

It's going to happen, isn't it?

LFG: "wah wah, you must have G-Horn. wah wah"

Bungie: "Okay, nerf dat shit"

I guess Deej couldn't get in an LFG group to get his accomplishments.
"fuck these guys, let's nerf it to helllllllllllll"

Rainmaker

Banned

Content THEY designed that you have to play over AND over again full of sponges and mostly boring battles. Of course you're going to use the awesome rocket launcher to get through that stuff as fast as possible after your first go around.

BokehKing

Banned
Ugh.... The community has lead to the nerf of the g-horn...

Ugh... I just...
Guess this mean a Xur will sell it now as well.

Less special

Plus adding 3 more seconds to ice breaker? C'mon man..

noomi

Can someone explain to me the final round change?

Does this mean you can no longer get OHK by a body shot from final round?

Wat?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol

I've been calling for a Gjallarhorn nerf forever and can't believe they actually did it. But given how they designed all the bosses in HoW, I expect all this means is that their boss encounters will still be shitty sponges in TTK.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Well Thorn isn't the only OP HC in the game. Hawkmoon had to be toned down as well as TLW.

TLW in particular is ridonculous. Unstable gets kills he shouldn't be getting with that thing.

They're also fixing a bug which makes TLW more broken. This is a good thing guys.

Guys guys guys, these changes are a good thing. A good thing!

Some of them are. The Final Round change is a brilliant solution.

Handcannons were always (well not always, mostly after the AR nerf) considered the go to PvP weapon. Hawkmoon is the moon of my life, but this is the update we all knew was coming eventually.

zewone

So we are just disregarding the pulse rifle changes? Making most pulse rifles a 3 shot burst kill if you run max armor (like you should).
I'd have to see it to believe it. I believe hopscotch hits for 38 x 3 which is 114 x 2 = 228 damage.

They would have to be pretty signicant changes to how much HP max armor provides.

Vire

"Why would anyone buy our new expansion when they already have super powerful guns"

"I GOT IT"

"Nerf everything"

t0rment

and with this I think I'm officially not coming back. I was planning on taking a break until TTK but I just cancelled that. They clearly still don't get it. I'm glad a lot of you still enjoy it though. There were a few weird things they did to guns here that I'm just turned off by. The content was repetitive and that's why Gjallahorn was used so much. A lot of people just wanted to get through the stuff as fast as possible after the first time. It was a powerful weapon that felt special. Something missing from this game most of the time. Everything is RNG so yeah, not everybody could have it. The Last Word was a legitimate fun gun to use. WHY DO ANYTHING TO THE ICEBREAKER?! The guns that needed to be fixed are JUST now seeming to get fixed. It's been forever.

I'm not good at PVP. I think it's a mess and no matter how much I play I can't get into it. I've never been able to even get help getting the coolest armor in the game because it's behind ToO. They can't/won't divide the stats between PvP and PvE and that SUCKS. There was never enough loot in the game so it turned into a "gotta collect 'em all" scenario and now my vault will never get bigger. Just frustrating. This game could have been and should have been one of the greatest games ever made.

It's crazy how much leeway people keep giving this game when it's been nothing but a total and constant mess and a scam since release. I was one of those for so long but not anymore. On one side you get constantly mad fun of for liking the game or finding any enjoyment in it and on the other side you have people just blindly digging into whatever Bungie wants to feed you. I'm done. Hopefully they start doing better by all of you who are so loyal to it. For the most part this is a great community and I think you all deserve better. Whatever that may be.

Sorry. I had to vent. This game keeps adding and adding to the problems. Constant one step forward two step back scenarios. What an absolute waste of great feeling shooting mechanics and beautiful graphics. Now I'm through. Sorry for the disturbance. Keep enjoying it.

i'm in the same boat. now i'll just wait for destiny 2 to see if they fix some of the things.

Hm. The idea that people on LFG were excluding people from raids because they didn't have the Gjallajorn doesn't sit right with me. Bungie, people were excluded because they had to go to an outside source to find people for the raid.

I'll wait to see how the changes effect the game before passing judgment. Hopefully it's all for the best and they know what they are doing.

I'm an optimist.

Top Bottom