• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

phen0m24

How is two shotting you with a pulse different than been two shot by a hand cannon?

Pulse can kill you from further with incredible accuracy.

Can I do something incredibly crazy here? I suck at PvP - and I just played three clash matches.

First I tried my Shadow. DUDE I am horrible with it and got ruined.

Then the Mida. Ugh.

I switched to my Messenger?

I was two shotting EVERYONE. E V E R Y O N E. I mean, snipers? Across the map head glitching me? TOAST. Sniper zeroed in on me? Sidestep and two burst. TOAST.

While I disagree with zew that the PvP game will be ruined, I think it will be:

Welcome your new Pulse Overlords

Can someone explain to me the final round change?

Does this mean you can no longer get OHK by a body shot from final round?

Wat?

That's how I read it. It will still do extra damage on precision hits, and since precision hits are already one hit kills, it is effectively removed from pvp relevance. Perhaps still useful for one shotting overshielded enemies.

But in PvE, it will retain it's extra damage usefulness, since bosses and whatnot have far more health than a guardian.

ocean

Banned
Who gives a shit if you're two shot by Thorn versus being two shot by a pulse? How does one bother you less? The changes made make some of the more fun guns to use less fun. That's what makes it worse. TTK will be so similar that all you're doing to nerfing my fun.

Final Round is a good change. That one I do agree on.
Shotgun nerf doesn't sound strong enough. Will likely be the same. Thorn doesn't matter, something will just takes its place. Its as annoying as SUROS once was and then Thorn took over. Its inevitable. ARs and and Scouts will still be crap. Buffs don't sound strong enough. G&H change with base increased blast radius doesn't sound like an effective change.

So....one good change. Congrats, Bungie.

The difference between two shot by Thorn and two shot by a Pulse is that Thorn had ridiculous range and since it was a single shot instead of a burst, landing two successive headshots was a lot easier. Not to mention the fact that the DoT gives you a tracker on the enemy's location. And it prevents their shields from regenerating. Also there's the slight detail of a Thorn double tap taking a little under .4s to pull off. That's a full 50% faster than the best Pulse Rifle in the game. Don't act like they're the same.

Assuming the range changes are effective, you'd be looking at fast-killing Pulse Rifles vs. slightly slower killing Scout Rifles for example - a damage/range tradeoff. Risk/reward. Wouldn't make sense for Scouts, which are viable at longer distances, to kill as quickly.

You can't compare the Thorn situation with the launch-period Suros. Suros was as popular maybe, but not nearly as effective compared to the alternatives. It was just a really good weapon. The issue with Thorn/TLW isn't that they're the best. Something will always be the best. The issue is *how much better* they were than the alternatives. Suros was just better at range because of Hammer Forged and the crazy stability, but at the end of the day it wasn't killing enemies 50-75% faster than its competitors the way Thorn/TLW do.

noomi

Got it, thanks for the replies guys.

Totally ok with the final round change, that really bothered me more than anything else in PvP.

Kyoufu

Yes, final round will not be OHK unless you get a headshot.

Because, headshot is already a OHK.

Basically, final round can't be abused in pvp now.

I'll tell you what Final Round will be good for.

1 shotting Ramlocks who can currently survive sniper headshots :p

Definity

i blame DeeJ. he always talks about LFG groups.

What continues to blow my mind is how the community created entire sites dedicated to LFG stuff because it's not in the game. Would love to see some more tools added to the game with LFG in mind. Simple things like leaving a note on your in-game profile saying what you're looking to play or further improving on the clan system.

traveler

Not Wario
I just got my first Gjallerhorn last week so I'll never really see what it was like in its glory.

That said, I'm super glad they're finally nerfing it. PvE tuning has been shot to hell by their reluctance to nerf this thing. I just hope it's a) enough and b) Gjallerhorn still has a place. I would have preferred for the Wolfpack rounds to have had their ai tweaked to target different enemies over a single tanky one if possible, with the damage for multiple Wolfpack impacts from the same shot on one target experiencing diminishing returns, so the weapon would find a place in clearing slightly scattered, large packs of enemies, rather than being a raid boss nuker.

Weapon changes across the board look largely good, but I still wish they'd seperate pvp tuning from pve tuning. Need to see how PvE shotguns fare after this; I'm fine with a slight nerf, as they're hands down the best secondary in any content that doesn't kill you outright for equipping one, but they definitely aren't a problem there like they are in PvP.

I think it's obvious reforging both should and will get the boot in TTK. Allowing it means you have to balance for the absolute perfect 1% of weapons, effectively ruining everything else. Perks should be deliberate, with strong ones offset by weaker ones, so choices are interesting again.

Love the Thorn change. Perfect way to nerf its PvP viability while simultenously giving it some extra kick against harder enemies in PvE.

Overall, looks like a job well done. Need to play to see, though. I do wish some lesser used heavies got a little more love (Dragon's Breath, and Super Good Advice) but that's pretty much it.

Edit: Bungie might be citing the LFG site as the reason, but, c'mon, are any of you seriously going to argue Gjallerhorn was not out of line? Bad tuning is bad tuning. Terrible social behavior is just the scapegoat.

neoism

Only thing I am pissed about is

1) White Nail nerf...just why? (This the most)
2) Icebreaker to 8 seconds
3) Horn nerf...just let that one weapon be OP

overall not really a fan of the changes it sounds to me that bungie wants weapons to fucking bounce up and down like mad over all... I like meh stability.. and the horn REALLY bungie why not just fucking sale the horn again instead of nerfing it...
it seems like alot of nerfs over all for the older weapons I bet TTKs weapons will be OP as fuck so everyone will just abandon the old ones... they really should have a video to demonstrate these changes... when is this coming out a few weeks before TTK??

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We strive for Destiny to be a place where a single weapon or strategy does not dictate how, or with whom, you spend your time. In the new world Gjallarhorn is still worthy of its legacy as an exotic Heavy Weapon, but we hope it promotes inclusive behavior rather than exclusivity.

It took them almost a year to realize this? What the fuck? lol

LiK

What continues to blow my mind is how the community created entire sites dedicated to LFG stuff because it's not in the game. Would love to see some more tools added to the game with LFG in mind. Simple things like leaving a note on your in-game profile saying what you're looking to play or further improving on the clan system.

yah, simple status options like "looking for raid, pvp, strikes etc"

The icebreaker change is really mind bogling. That gun isnt even being used nowadays because most people already dont want to wait 5 seconds for one bullet and then they almost doubled that? Why

Vire

All the nerfs and weapon balancing just sound like they are reverting it to vanilla Destiny.

OP Auto Rifles
Shitty Hand Cannons

We are going in circles here Bungie.

Dunk#7

I think all the weapon balancing sounds great. This is coming from somebody that owns all the "best" weapons.

I have always preferred scout rifles and I was hoping to read about a buff, but I agree with the comment that they are pretty balanced already. Some guns above SRs needed to be brought down a little. The TTK and strengths of SRs in PvE feel right.

Overall I think these changes really do balance the game and follow the intentions listed in the update.

We all know Black Hammer was a little cheap with infinite shots on some bosses. The change with Ice Breaker makes sense as well. If you sit back and look at it objectively certain guns change the way the game was intended to be played. Will be good to add variety to weapon selection

**assuming this balance is realized and we don't just get new weapons that rise to the top. If nothing else it will be a change of pace

overall not really a fan of the changes it sounds to me that bungie wants weapons to fucking bounce up and down like mad over all... I like meh stability.. and the horn REALLY bungie why not just fucking sale the horn again instead of nerfing it...
it seems like alot of nerfs over all for the older weapons I bet TTKs weapons will be OP as fuck so everyone will just abandon the old ones... they really should have a video to demonstrate these changes... when is this coming out a few weeks before TTK??

Nothing still beats the original Exotics and Legendaries.

neoism

These changes sound like shit. All the people bitching going to turn this game into every other cookie cutter FPS where every gun is the damn same. And people without Gjallarhorns got them to nerf the people who do have its fun. Haha.

I hope you guys like Red Death.

All hail Red Death, long live the Red Death.

I would like it if it didnt have the worst fucking sight in the game...

BUNGIE let us chose the damn sights.....:(

E92 M3

The icebreaker change is really mind bogling. That gun isnt even being used nowadays because most people already dont want to wait 5 seconds for one bullet and then they almost doubled that? Why

All potential for fun must be eliminated. That said, I haven't used my Icebreaker in ages.

--

I still find it hilarious that the main justification Bungie had for nerfing the Ghorn was because people were getting left out.

Bungie doesn't even realize how funny that sounds.

All the nerfs and weapon balancing just sound like they are reverting it to vanilla Destiny.

OP Auto Rifles
Shitty Hand Cannons

I dont know, reading the notes i dont really think the changes to ARs are enough to put them back to the cream of the crop.

Kyoufu

I don't think you understand the reason why Gjallarhorn is being nerfed and not sold by Xur instead.

The problem with Gjallarhorn isn't that not every player has it, it's that the players that do have it are stampeding their way through content with little effort. With the weapon being so powerful it has forced many if not all other PVE exotics straight into the vault. That is a bad thing.

LiK

i can adapt to any gun. just sucks that now i'm optimal with HCs, they decide to nerf them hard. i'll have to go back to how i played PVP in the beginning. back to my old ways.

Ramirez

OP Auto Rifles
Shitty Hand Cannons

The hyperbole is amazing. Play it first before shitting your diaper, bud.

traveler

Not Wario
There is nothing fun about imbalance. There is nothing fun about lack of effective weapon diversity. There is nothing fun about bosses that have existed in a binary state of way overtuned/way undertuned depending on the party's ownership of 1 weapon.

Player power =/= fun

Maddocks

Nerfing ma guns!

Just got my hawkmoon a couple weeks ago, and now it is already going to be trashcan category(hyperbole yes, it will probably still be pretty good) but I never got to experience it in its full glory because after I got it, I got super busy and couldn't really play.

why bungie, whyyyyyyy???

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We all know Black Hammer was a little cheap with infinite shots on some bosses. The change with Ice Breaker makes sense as well. If you sit back and look at it objectively certain guns change the way the game was intended to be played. Will be good to add variety to weapon selection
This wouldn't be a problem if bosses weren't so boring to fight though. Every encounter is the same thing - boss with like 40k HP and dozens of adds rushing you.
Throw in a burn or lightswitch and there's no incentive not to just hide in a corner and snipe/Horn.

Lima

Who gives a shit if you're two shot by Thorn versus being two shot by a pulse? How does one bother you less? The changes made make some of the more fun guns to use less fun. That's what makes it worse. TTK will be so similar that all you're doing to nerfing my fun.

Most people do. That is why they complained about it. With a pulse they have to hit all bullets with both bursts right now. After getting shot I have little time to react but I have time to react. After getting hit by the first Thorn shot most of the time you are trying to get away you get hit with the second headshot and are dead no matter what you do.

Eh whatever I won't argue anymore. You have two more months to enjoy the current PvP. Make the most of it.

Zoidberg

I'll tell you what Final Round will be good for.

1 shotting Ramlocks who can currently survive sniper headshots :p

2.0.0 patch notes

Buffed The Ram armor bonus.

I won't care because my flaming hammers are going to destroy those fools
Hammer of Sol will do nothing to a RAMLock and most like require a full super to kill them.

Dunk#7

i can adapt to any gun. just sucks that now i'm optimal with HCs, they decide to nerf them hard. i'll have to go back to how i played PVP in the beginning. back to my old ways.

I am really hoping Scout Rifles are towards the top. That weapon class has always felt the best to me. Easiest weapon for be to competitive with as it seems easy to get precision hits.

E92 M3

There is nothing fun about imbalance. There is nothing fun about lack of effective weapon diversity. There is nothing fun about bosses that have existed in a binary state of way overtuned/way undertuned depending on the party's ownership of 1 weapon.

Player power =/= fun

Sure it does. That's essentially why video games exist.

zewone

Most people do. That is why they complained about it. With a pulse they have to hit all bullets with both bursts right now. After getting shot I have little time to react but I have time to react. After getting hit by the first Thorn shot most of the time you are trying to get away you get hit with the second headshot and are dead no matter what you do.

Eh whatever I won't argue anymore. You have two more months to enjoy the current PvP. Make the most of it.
I've said my piece, I'm done. I might not even waste anymore time with the game.

SgtCobra

I have 4 Messengers but tonight was killed by multiple Pulses (and I want a Hopscotch too)

Crackerjack something
Psi Tempus
Red Death
Yeah the Crackerjack Beta, there's also the Evergreen 11.1, Spare Change 25.5 and of course The Strangers Rifle.
They're all pretty good in PVP.

neoism

Not really. Still going to be super useful for VoG despite 3 second delay on recharge.

not sure why but i use it in pvp just as much...i really dont like the kick on it... I dont like getting green ammo for snips for some reason... plus I still dont have a really good leg sniper fucking WPs... :/

Namikaze1

They can't place all the blame on LFG sites. Some of it falls on them as well. They only sold it once and when they have bullet sponges like Spongebob Ta'aurc before his nerf and CE HM/PoE35 enemies being a level higher than you, of course people will want folks who own one.

Top Bottom