• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

LiK

I am really hoping Scout Rifles are towards the top. That weapon class has always felt the best to me. Easiest weapon for be to competitive with as it seems easy to get precision hits.

they appear to be one of the best gun types especially after the tuning. i used to be pretty great with them in PVP before HCs got the buff. so yea, i'll be using them again along with Pulses.

This wouldn't be a problem if bosses weren't so boring to fight though. Every encounter is the same thing - boss with like 40k HP and dozens of adds rushing you.
Throw in a burn or lightswitch and there's no incentive not to just hide in a corner and snipe/Horn.

This. Ghorn was basically a bullet sponge perk. Change the boss dynamics and IB and Horn may not be the weapons of choice for those encounters. Or offer a perk that better assists in those battles.

ocean

Banned
Nothing still beats the original Exotics and Legendaries.

Best Scout: re rolled Salvation/Shadow or Scholar for 3-shot capability
Best RL: re rolled Ash Factory
Best high impact shotgun: Matador 64
Best mid impact shotgun: Party Crasher +!
Best Pulse Rifle: Hopscotch Pilgrim / Messenger
Best high impact Sniper Rifle: re rolled Her Benevolence
Best low impact Sniper Rifle: re rolled Low Grade Humility
Best Machine Gun: re rolled BTRD

The only old Legendaries worth keeping are Fatebringer and Black Hammer, perhaps sort of Vision of Confluence and Found Verdict. Really not sure where people get this "old legendaries are better" stuff.

As for Exotics: 20/27 Exotics are from Vanilla. Of course the majority of the good ones will be old. I don't think they've ever intended on replacing Exotics, each one has its place. The idea with the new ones has been to fill in or create niches for new play styles, not to copy the archetype of a previous Exotic and just make it obsolete.

macewank

All the nerfs and weapon balancing just sound like they are reverting it to vanilla Destiny.

OP Auto Rifles
Shitty Hand Cannons

We are going in circles here Bungie.

We'll continue to go in circles until they figure out it's impossible to balance PvP and PvE against one another.

At least it looks like they're on the right track with those Auto Rifle changes (10% boost to damage vs AI) ..

Maybe if the game had some sort of matchmaking / party system we could keep our Horns.

The entire thing is fucking broken. If there was matchmaking most players would have everything and be well done with the content.

I love destiny but at this point it's just.. I don't know.

Lnkn52

Just give us the patch now Bungie; we'll test it for you; then will tell you if it's good or not for the September release.

Best Scout: re rolled Salvation/Shadow or Scholar for 3-shot capability

The only old Legendaries worth keeping are Fatebringer and Black Hammer, perhaps sort of Vision of Confluence and Found Verdict. Really not sure where people get this "old legendaries are better" stuff.

As for Exotics: 20/27 Exotics are from Vanilla. Of course the majority of the good ones will be old. I don't think they've ever intended on replacing Exotics, each one has its place. The idea with the new ones has been to fill in or create niches for new play styles, not to copy the archetype of a previous Exotic and just make it obsolete.

Kitty can scratch. I agree with you though.

Zoidberg

One awful exotic missing from that update is Dregs Promise. That thing had a lot of promise as an exotic sidearm and is definitely not the bees knees, probably closer to the bees rectum.

Kyoufu

I think you guys are taking the LFG reasoning too literally. See past LFG and look at the bigger picture:

Players are relying on one weapon because it's overpowered.

When a weapon is overpowered to the point where everyone demands it to be used, then there's a problem.

We all know Black Hammer was a little cheap with infinite shots on some bosses. The change with Ice Breaker makes sense as well. If you sit back and look at it objectively certain guns change the way the game was intended to be played. Will be good to add variety to weapon selection
So we're being punished because they can't design fun boss mechanics to save their ass?

The reason people rely on Ghorn, Black Hammer, etc is because their definition of hard is just having AI's with a shitload of health. All we're left with is to sit back and dump lead into their skull.

They need to stop trying to balance these weapons around their content but work on the content itself.

traveler

Not Wario
It's not till Sept? Oh what. That sucks. I'd like some breathing room between this thing and TTK. While I like the changes on the whole, I'd definitely prefer to see it tested and tweaked before the launch, so the game is in the best state possible for year 2.

So we're being punished because they can't design fun boss mechanics to save their ass?

The reason people rely on Ghorn, Black Hammer, etc is because their definition of hard is just having AI's with a shitload of health. All we're left with is to sit back and dump lead into their skull.

They need to stop trying to balance these weapons around their content but work on the content itself.

Chicken and egg. CE Hard, Skolas? These guys are bullet sponges BECAUSE of Gjallarhorn. The weapon killed their ability to tune effectively.

I agree the strike boss mechanics need work but the vidoc basically flat out stated we'd see less bullet sponge, and more mechanic driven strike encounters. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the TTK release.

Ramirez

Do people honestly believe the only reason Gjallerhorn is getting nerfed is because of his LFG example? lol

The weapon was broken in PVE, and saying old content were bullet sponges has no place in the discussion because we don't know what TTK content will be like. I really doubt they repeat the same mistakes of the old strikes.

E92 M3

I guess there's little to say here except that I totally disagree and cannot stand the constant focus on player empowerment in modern game design.

Modern? It has always been the basis.

Your argument would suggest that a weapon capable of killing anything in one shot, if it existed, would be fun. Consider that.

Let's not get into hyperbole here, when you and I both know exactly what I'm talking about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best Scout: re rolled Salvation

As I said probably 2 OTs ago, with the ability to reroll weapons, there's only really a few weapons worth using because you can get the perfect weapon. They were too shortsighted and didn't think of making all the good perks mutually exclusive, which is why they had to nerf shotpackage and rangefinder at the same time. It's silly.

This. Ghorn was basically a bullet sponge perk. Change the boss dynamics and IB and Horn may not be the weapons of choice for those encounters. Or offer a perk that better assists in those battles.
I like how they said shotguns were too powerful in PvE, but for a lot of encounters you're still going to use them because the adds just rush you anyway. Then anything else you shoot with Horn.
Heck I even changed my mind on PoE - even Sponge Skolas is the same, because his difficulty comes from being underleveled, not from the actual encounter being interesting.

Do people honestly believe the only reason Gjallerhorn is getting nerfed is because of his LFG example? lol

The weapon was broken in PVE, and saying old content were bullet sponges has no place in the discussion because we don't know what TTK content will be like. I really doubt they repeat the same mistakes of the old strikes.
If the new raid has enemies that are 1-2 levels above you, then they haven't learned ANYTHING.

The only reason I can think of for nerfing the horn is that TTK will have a better exotic weapon to replace it with.

I'm quite okay with the nerf coming with TTK, not now. Makes sense - with the new expansion, we will be over leveled for current content and it won't matter whether you have a horn or not.

Just hoping that the pve content in TTK is not designed around bullet sponge and OHK encounters, otherwise all this makes no sense.

I think you guys are taking the LFG reasoning too literally. See past LFG and look at the bigger picture:

When a weapon is overpowered to the point where everyone demands it to be used, then there's a problem.

That's just it.. Something will always be "THE BEST" you just go in circles forever chasing balance.

Leave the old shit alone, introduce new content that needs new weapons. At first I was against this because who wants to lose their fave gun, but ascending my old stuff made it almost pointless to play the new content and chase new guns.

ich00

Basing the 'horne nerf on LFG sites is pretty dumb. I mean I see people requiring lvl 33 or 34 for VoG, how are they going to combat that? I understand it tho, makes certain encounters easy mode. On the flipside to that if so many of the bosses weren't bullet sponges, then people wouldn't be relying on a g'horne to get through it.

I'm not going to get worked up over anything yet tho, just going to have a wait and see approach to how things shake out. That said I'll be saving up my weapon parts so once the new meta is sorted out, I'll have the ability to re-roll for it.

When content is poorly balanced with lots of bullet sponges such as to require an OP weapon, then there's a problem.

neoism

I hate to say this, because I enjoy the shit out of Gjallarhorn, but it needed a nerf. The nerf was inevitable. We all knew deep down inside it was coming at some point.

You can Gjallarhorn cheese 99% of the content in the game. This weapon turns just about everything into fodder which makes it an exclusively used exotic that makes all your other exotic weapons completely irrelevant.

When one item makes all your other items irrelevant, then that's a huge problem.

100% NO

so now its just a wasted exotic slot and just the prettiest rocket launcher in the game... if its a slight nerf then why bother at all... MAKE IT MORE available..SMFH bungie's
reasoning behind the nerf is ridiculous... Ive never played with anyone that said no horn you cant play with us... and I never would play with anyone that said that to me... bungie has really failed with exotics... there to good nerf the balls off of them... Ive had mine for awhile but I still use leg RL in PVP and PVE....

Navy Bean

i can't wait for notes on the blink nerf. the salt levels will be glorious
I would love a blink nerf because I suck at it lol. Maybe add a 1 second delay at the end to drawing your weapon??? Salt tears would flow...

Otherwise, there's just too many changes to really have any idea how everything will shake out. Knowing Bungie it won't be balanced just changed...

Is this still a good place to find raid parties for newbies?

Yes. Hawkian runs first time raids pretty regularly, I've seen some others too. Lots of random "lets get a raid together" happens now and again as well. I don't think I've run into anyone here that was overly critical of someone new to a raid. At least not in any of the raids I've been in where I was the first timer.

I agree the strike boss mechanics need work but the vidoc basically flat out stated we'd see less bullet sponge, and more mechanic driven strike encounters. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the TTK release.
I was mainly talking about Strike bosses and I'll be waiting to see how different TTK actually is. I'm not holding my breath for anything that different though.

The point still stands in that they need to stop trying to level out every single gun in PVE but change their gameplay mechanics.

Kyoufu

When content is poorly balanced with lots of bullet sponges such as to require an OP weapon, then there's a problem.

I 100% agree. Bungie's next step should be creating content that isn't made up of bullet sponges.

Assuming that they do this, then we'll have a finely balanced game in our hands.

Namikaze1

People are relying on one weapon because Bungie's idea of making things hard in PvE is by giving enemies, especially bosses, a shit load of health.

traveler

Not Wario
Modern? It has always been the basis.

Let's not get into hyperbole here, when you and I both know exactly what I'm talking about.

I didn't mean to imply that only modern games commit the sin or that all modern games are crap; I was simply commenting on the modern- and it is a modern- design trend of inserting RPG lite, vertical progression systems into every AAA genre to make the player feel like they're constantly getting stronger, regardless of whether they're actually increasing in skill or not.

I was mainly talking about Strike bosses and I'll be waiting to see how different TTK actually is. I'm not holding my breath for anything that different though.

The point still stands in that they need to stop trying to level out every single gun in PVE but change their gameplay mechanics.

They've got to do both. And we can't judge new boss design until we, you know, actually get new bosses, whereas weapon tweaks can and should happen all the time.

As someone who still has no Ghally after 800 hours, this weapon tuning update kinda brings a smile to My face. The BLack Hammer and Ice Breaker nerfs annoy me though... Why do that.

Now I don't have to be a black sheep without a Ghally.

Idk why people are upset with the hand cannon nerfs on pvp. It was a long time coming... I love using TLW but I would get ridiculous kills with it just like the thorn. I really hope this means I can use my Suros again :)

Hyun Sai

Hm. The idea that people on LFG were excluding people from raids because they didn't have the Gjallajorn doesn't sit right with me. Bungie, people were excluded because they had to go to an outside source to find people for the raid.

I'll wait to see how the changes effect the game before passing judgment. Hopefully it's all for the best and they know what they are doing.

I'm an optimist.

People would have be excluded in game, the outsourcing got nothing to do with it.

Even here at the beginning of Hard Crota and Fire Burn Skolas, people were requesting the Horn.

As an owner of 3 of this bullshit weapon, I welcome the nerf, it will bring more variety in PVE loadouts.

--------------

You won't be able to 2 shot people with Pulse rifle anymore, for people saying they will be the new meta. They got a subtle nerf in the update.

I've got the feeling they want to reduce the TTK at long range (except for precision hit snipers), and that's a good thing.

---------------

Even with 10% damage nerf, shotguns will still be absurdly powerful in PVE, no big deal.

---------------

Ice Breaker and Black Hammer got hit hard, but I felt as soon as black hammer and Gjallahorn got nerfed, the IB would be in every loadout, so it makes sense.

Pretty good balance patch overall, I really wish it would come sooner.

Top Bottom