• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Okay. We did a first timer VoG raid last week. Planning to do a Crota's End first timer raid this week.

Hawkian organizes newbie raids every week but he's doing IRL stuff so will probably not be able to do them for 1-2 weeks.

That said, if you're just looking to join a raid group and don't mind being coached about the mechanics and encounters, you'll find a group easily by just posting your psn/xbl and availability.

Today may not be the best day, at least not right now, and Trials of Osiris will start soon, so many people will be busy doing that over the weekend.

Anyway, if you're on PSN, add me: ruthlesbarbarian, I'll try and get a raid organised for you and other new players soon.

Thanks a bunch, I'm on psn i'll add you. my psn: cal_carlson.

LiK

Did anyone see this in the DeeJ update: "We’re looking down the barrel of the largest arsenal of weapons and armor that Destiny has ever seen – and that includes the original launch of the game."

That makes me real curious about how many new weapons we'll see the TTK, plus what's going to happen to all my current weapons. Also vault space, gonna need a lot more.

they better increase vault size.

Kyoufu

Also I want you guys to think as an item designer at Bungie, whose job is to constantly create new weapons for the community to play for. Now think of them creating a bunch of new weapons and seeing them all vaulted because the community sticks with the same loadout they've been using since the beginning of time. This must feel defeating and ultimately pointless and must be addressed.

I can tell you right now I would stop playing Destiny if I had to use Gjallarhorn exclusively in Year Two of Destiny, because when I see a new Exotic weapon drop I want that to feel like I gained something rather than feeling like I lost -1 vault space.

Also I want you guys to think as an item designer at Bungie, whose job is to constantly create new weapons for the community to play for. Now think of them creating a bunch of new weapons and seeing them all vaulted because the community sticks with the same loadout they've been using since the beginning of time. This must feel defeating and ultimately pointless and must be addressed.

I can tell you right now I would stop playing Destiny if I had to use Gjallarhorn exclusively in Year Two of Destiny, because when I see a new Exotic weapon drop I want that to feel like I gained something rather than feeling like I lost -1 vault space.

Excellent post. I had also thought about this from the devs perspective, must be really disappointing seeing your weapons just shunned by the community.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm up for raiding. Been slacking off on Destiny this week. That was the best 5 hour nap ever.

Normal DS/Crota x3?

traveler

Not Wario
They have to remove ascending in TTK. They just don't have the room to keep making new stuff while keeping all of it relevant.

People want options. If I want to use my old weapons I should get to. If the new stuff is actually fun, different, and well thought out I might want to use those too. This game is still very low varied loot that's worth a damn. They could still make stuff that people want to use and not force you to not use the old stuff.

If the new stuff is weaker than Gjallarhorn, people will use Gjallarhorn. This is not good.
If the new stuff is equivalent in power, people will either use Gjallarhorn or the new stuff and content will still have to be tuned around that power level, making everything else useless. This is not good.
If the new stuff is greater in power than Gjallarhorn, situation B occurs; only, Gjallarhorn isn't even viable. This is not good.
If everything were buffed to Gjallarhorn's level and the content not adjusted, (which would take way more work than just nerfing Gjallarhorn, so why bother?) content will be undertuned. This is not good.
If everything were buffed to Gjallarhorn's level and the content was buffed to compensate for the insane amount of damage everything would be capable of putting out.... you have the exact same situation a Gjallarhorn nerf puts you in.

Will upload some Skirmish between Me, Yung_Gunnerz, x_x_o_o vs Rubenov, Wicked and Phaeton. ;)

Not exactly sweaty. We weren't gonna use heavy, but the other team did so.

Black Hammer got murdered, even something more similar to Performance Bonus like 'three quick precision hits gives one free round in chamber and instantly loads two from inventory' would have been much better.

Lima

Or Gears Horde mode or Mass Effect 3 MP. Each was difficult but fun as hell to run over and over. PoE just misses the mark for some reason.

A lot of it has to do with map design. All the maps in firefight were great, all the maps in gears horde mode were great and yeah guess what Mass Effect had some pretty good maps too.

The problem with PoE is that there are only 4 maps to begin with and only of them (The fallen arena) is decent.

While you're right, it's not our fault that Bungie designs the weapons the way they do. If they didn't know that every one and their mothers would use it over everything else, then that is a bigger problem in itself

Zoidberg

One good thing about not having a ghorn is changing up what exotics I use and not feeling like I'm handicapping myself. This is hopefully what it will be post 2.x for everyone, and will eventually be a good thing.

i blame DeeJ. he always talks about LFG groups.

Last week DeeJ mentioned he got called out for not having everything complete for the Moment of Triumph and stated he would be hitting up LFG to get it done.

DeeJ does not have a Ghorn.

DeeJ can't get into an LFG with no Horn

Horn nerf announced the next week.

Coincidence?

Frenden

Banned
Hard Light buffed. Gjallarhorn nerfed.

I'm mostly good with the intent of the changes. I just hope they pan out and the meta is more diverse.

If all we did was trade hand cannons for pulse rifles, I'll be sad.

ich00

but over all, there is almost never a reason to exclude a person without gjallarhorn.

Exactly, the problem is that I see it required a lot on LFG sites. I have a friend who picked up the game recently and made a comment to me asking why so many people require a 'horne. If your group knows the encounter, having a few people without it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't use mine nearly as much anymore just to switch things up a bit. Skolas is an exception, cause f that guy.

traveler

Not Wario
While you're right, it's not our fault that Bungie designs the weapons the way they do. If they didn't know that every one and their mothers would use it over everything else, then that is a bigger problem in itself

This is their first shot at an MMO. Blizzard, who's spent over a DECADE tuning their's, still doesn't have anything approaching perfect balance. If they aren't allowed to tune the game to try to bring the balance in line.. what exactly is the expectation? That they just nail everything out the gate?

Going forward in TTK and future content, they must obviously be looking to avoid bullet sponge encounters thus an extremely overpowered weapon like Gjallarhorn could not co-exist with this new content and has to be toned down where it's still viable but not exclusively used by everyone and their aunts.

At this point, I'd take a ripoff of the VoG mechanics.

No no no. Fuck no. We're not paying 40 bucks to play a longer, re-skinned Vault of Glass.

Encounters and mechanics should be similar to VoG in the sense that they should promote teamwork and players taking the time to learn the mechanics, discover hidden stuff, etc.

I'd like to think that the horn nerf indirectly implies that TTK content will not have current bullet sponge encounters, but I'll be very, very skeptical.

neoism

So I just picked up a salvation state in crucible. Where does the shadow drop and are these guns comparable?

i love the state used it for most of HoWs release... i got a Shadow but didnt like the stability on it....
ruLOlM6.png
only thang is the 13 rounds but its not bad having LITC.... its REKT in combined arms..

No that's not it.

Because Destinys gunplay shits all over Halo.

Idk what you are talking about but The gunplay of Halo and Destiny are very similar...

The only thing that old school Bungie Halo doesn't have is ADS but other then that it's the same thing. I have played Halo CE to Reach religiously ...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They have to remove ascending in TTK. They just don't have the room to keep making new stuff while keeping all of it relevant.
Yeah. That and nerf re-rolling hard so that more perks are mutually exclusive, if the point is to get people to use new weapons.

Idk what you are talking about but The gunplay of Halo and Destiny are very similar...

The only thing that old school Bungie Halo doesn't have is ADS but other then that it's the same thing. I have played Halo CE to Reach religiously ...

Me too.

Destinys gunplay (with ADS) is better

Warnings: my opinion

Rainmaker

Banned

If the new stuff is weaker than Gjallarhorn, people will use Gjallarhorn. This is not good.
If the new stuff is equivalent in power, people will either use Gjallarhorn or the new stuff and content will still have to be tuned around that power level, making everything else useless. This is not good.
If the new stuff is greater in power than Gjallarhorn, situation B occurs; only, Gjallarhorn isn't even viable. This is not good.
If everything were buffed to Gjallarhorn's level and the content not adjusted, (which would take way more work than just nerfing Gjallarhorn, so why bother?) content will be undertuned. This is not good.
If everything were buffed to Gjallarhorn's level and the content was buffed to compensate for the insane amount of damage everything would be capable of putting out.... you have the exact same situation a Gjallarhorn nerf puts you in.

But you DONT have to use Gjally if you don't want to. That's the thing. It was nice to have if you wanted to get through a piece of content that you've played a million times and just wanted to get to the loot drop. Their level designs brought this on. If they made something that was fun to look at, shoot, had a unique perk, and was effective in a decently (and not as good as Gjally) way a lot of people would use it If they were playing content that was fun or entertaining every time you played it. They wouldn't be rushing through or feeling like they just need to get it done.

DNAbro

at this point it would be just as good to burn everything down and start from scratch.

can't wait for Destiny 2

Sky Walker

In the new world Gjallarhorn is still worthy of its legacy as an exotic Heavy Weapon, but we hope it promotes inclusive behavior rather than exclusivity.

I'm ok with the ghorny nerf as long as they don't kill it completely, 10% wolfpack nerf would be fair. But BH + IB nerf ?! That's nonsense !

Did anyone see this in the DeeJ update: "We’re looking down the barrel of the largest arsenal of weapons and armor that Destiny has ever seen – and that includes the original launch of the game."

That makes me real curious about how many new weapons we'll see the TTK, plus what's going to happen to all my current weapons. Also vault space, gonna need a lot more.

I don't know, why invest in the 'hunt" anymore? They will just nerf them.

They never should have let us ascend our old gear. As much as it pains me to say.
Ascending Exotics was fine. What they shouldn't have done was tie light level to armor. That is the REAL problem with this game. You get stuck with shitty looking gear because of light.

Think about it, why is it harder to get Etheric Light than to level and exotic? Its so stupid.

ich00

Excellent post. I had also thought about this from the devs perspective, must be really disappointing seeing your weapons just shunned by the community.

As a counter to this I'd say if I'm a designer I'd be working my ass off to create a better option. What have we gotten: Dragon's Breath? I remember before that one cause out people were hyped about it, then once we got out hands on it we realized what a load of crap it was.

If they don't want us using a weapon exclusively then make the others worth using, or if you can't fix old stuff make a new something that is.

Bungie recognizes that some people are being excluded from end game content because they do not possess a Gjallahorn. The proposed solution is to nerd the Gjallahorn. Wouldn't it be easier to simply sell the Gjallahorn ?

Kyoufu

That or remove it entirely.

I'd be OK with this. Getting a solid roll on a gun that dropped from whatever activity should feel far more satisfying than it does currently. That's how it should be, not spending however many Motes of Light to end up with those rolls anyway.

Reforging guns to have the best perks played a big part in dragging PVP to the dark abyss it's currently at right now.

Namikaze1

But I don't have a horn. I've been searching for one on Ps4 since forever. It's my white whale. Are you now telling me it's not worth it. This is complete and utter bullshit.
No one knows by how much Wolfpack Rounds damage is being reduced. They refused to put down a percentage for that. Everything else that was getting reduced/increased (damage wise) had percentages to them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No no no. Fuck no. We're not paying 40 bucks to play a longer, re-skinned Vault of Glass.

Encounters and mechanics should be similar to VoG in the sense that they should promote teamwork and players taking the time to learn the mechanics, discover hidden stuff, etc.

I'd like to think that the horn nerf indirectly implies that TTK content will not have current bullet sponge encounters, but I'll be very, very skeptical.
Well to be fair, I can't imagine a scenario in which I buy TTK unless Luke Smith personally confirms to me that lesbian bears (rip iRAWR) are in the new raid so it's all theoretical for me anyway.

If the new hard raid has enemies that are one level higher than the level cap, I know for sure I'm never playing Destiny again.

That or remove it entirely.
Yeah, it'd make getting legendary drops in NF actually relevant again.

But I don't have a horn. I've been searching for one on Ps4 since forever. It's my white whale. Are you now telling me it's not worth it. This is complete and utter bullshit.

No, we're not saying that. We simply don't know yet. They not-so-conspicuously left out the number amount it was being nerfed, for what ever reason. Which is weird if you ask me. Why single it out, when they listed change values for everything else

ocean

Banned

Lol @ having to use Gjallarhorn.

Unless you're doing a solo Crota run or something it's not required anywhere. Hell it doesn't even make that big a difference.

Sometimes I feel my Horns are somehow worse than the ones you guys have. It's neat to use 2 rockets instead of 3 against a given enemy but what's the big deal? I don't get it.

Top Bottom