• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Just saw the update...I had just started getting the hang of The Last Word too and it had become my favorite gun. The Thorn nerf on paper sounds like it will have much less impact than what they're doing to TLW.

Bungie, pls!

OZYDh.gif

Shito

whenever a thread regarding Destiny is posted on gaming side, why do I feel that I want to stab myself multiple times in the eyes.
The weapon tuning was posted on the gaming side?
That's crazy, I don't think I've ever seen another game get THAT MUCH topics on the gaming side for each update they did...

bosseye

Shame. I still don't have a Gjallerhorn after all those hundreds of hours and if its about to be nerfed, well.......where is the incentive to obtain it? Just makes it 'any other rocket launcher'.

Personally, I just want to see a tweak to how and where you can get Etheric Light. I was genuinely excited to ascend some of my old VoG armour and weapons, but I've never had a single Etheric Light drop as I haven't been able to do PoE34 yet and its never dropped from NF etc.

I've lost the impetus I had to play; I've got nothing to aim for really. I can't ascend any of the weapons or armour I want to, the one gun I was hoping to obtain is soon to be nothing special....

I also haven't had a decent weapon drop since March (I got the Vex, wooo!) and I'm probably about done with Destiny for the foreseeable.

Rocket League ahoy!

Deku Tree

whenever a thread regarding Destiny is posted on gaming side, why do I feel that I want to stab myself multiple times in the eyes.

You know I used to feel like it was just Destiny. Then after the Halo OT was closed I started reading the comments about gaming side Halo threads in the MCC topic and their complaints about gaming side Halo threads sounded a lot like our complaints about Gaming Destiny threads.

I just go into them for the news and post my opinion.

Skele7on

Banned
The weapon tuning was posted on the gaming side?
That's crazy, I don't think I've ever seen another game get THAT MUCH topics on the gaming side for each update they did...

It's like the threads there are specifically setup just so people can shit on the game.

You know I used to feel like it was just Destiny. Then after the Halo OT was closed I started reading the comments about gaming side Halo threads in the MCC topic and their complaints about gaming side Halo threads sounded a lot like our complaints about Gaming Destiny threads.

I just go into them for the news and post my opinion.

I give up arguing and fighting the destiny cause, I've been banned too many times for it now.

HaloGAF had a massive disservice by the threads closing, at the same time how Off topic they went meant that under the strict rules it had to be closed.

Sucks though.

ocean

Banned
Just saw the update...I had just started getting the hang of The Last Word too and it had become my favorite gun. The Thorn nerf on paper sounds like it will have much less impact than what they're doing to TLW.

Bungie, pls!
They're making a two headshot kill impossible with Thirn and unlikely with TLW. Equivalent effect and both super welcome. I only use TLW in Crucible so I know full well how broken it currently is.

raindoc

The DoT change is a net buff to DPS. All it does is prevent 2 headshots from killing you in PvP, which was the main problem.

my point is: Thorn saw way more action than TLW but in the future every low-skilled player spamming that handheld sniper will be treated with even more DoT, while TLW is getting it's balls cut of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's better paced out and doesn't feel like a slog which is the problem with stuff like The Nexus or Tau'arc.

And from the small glimpse at a TTK strike boss, we'll be seeing actual raid mechanics now.

I don't know what you or others are expecting though when it comes to some of these encounters though. There's only so much they can do which the lego pieces they have now.

Edit: my bad on the typo.
It's funny that you bring up Tau'rac because that's basically a tank with a sponge boss at the end too. lol
I think the strike is fine, but just grinds to a halt when the devil walker drops and you're doing what you always do.

As for what they could do - they could have just copied the VoG mechanics and force players to split up, either by making one person guard a position while the others attack, or by randomly porting players to different sections of a map and asking them to complete different objectives. And that's just using an existing mechanic that's already in the game.

Tbf a Queenbreaker's Bow or Plan C fucking schooled that Walker in the Nightfall.
Oh sure, during burns it's fine. Try doing it without burn though, like when it is the weekly.

I wouldn't describe Taniks as "spongy": the fact that he retains the damage you did to him previoulsy (even though it clearly cheats for the last encounter ^^) is a good and welcomed change, and the last part against him is never too long or dragged out.
With no burn the spider is hella spongy, though, yeah...
Yeah, they make it seem like a Monster Hunter fight with Taniks running away when he gets hurt, but I just assume that they just upped his overall HP so that it looks like you're doing damage to him in the other stages.

Agent

my point is: Thorn saw way more action than TLW and now every low-skilled player spamming that handheld sniper istreated with even more DoT, while TLW is getting it's balls cut of.

If they only nerfed thorn you can bet that Crucible would be overrun with TLW as a replacement. Granted, not everyone can pick up the gun and be successful. But, that is the issue with weapon nerfs. Within a day of the patch there will be a new king.

The surprised to see Red Death as the #2 on the list. I rarely run into them.

ocean

Banned
my point is: Thorn saw way more action than TLW but in the future every low-skilled player spamming that handheld sniper will be treated with even more DoT, while TLW is getting it's balls cut of.
But the stacking DoT method is a nerf in PvP. It will make the weapon kill more slowly because by the time you get enough shots for the DoT to matter you'll have killed enemies anyways. The changes will make it unviable as a sniper and contestable in its intended range. Sounds good to me. And TLW got its balls cut off because its balls were too big. Double 111s meant a better TTK than literally any machine gun in the game, and anywhere between 2 to 4 times as quickly as any other primary.

Haybro

Bungie, pls!

OZYDh.gif

This is exactly my feeling as well. Right down to just recently getting the hang of TLW. It just feels right, and now they're taking it away! :(

Goodnight sweet prince...
http://i.imgur.com/nGgNplT.gifv

ocean

Banned
I just woke up and fuck you Bungie.

Making the Hypehorn useless?
"Useless"
We don't know how significant the net to Wolfpack is. It's still a high impact high velocity RL with tracking, proximity detonation and extra damage rounds that track enemies. It'll still be the best RL. It'll still be *just* a rocket launcher. The game will be the same except for 30s longer boss fights.

I don't know who's being crazier: Bungie for doing this or the community for caring so much.

Lnkn52

i wonder why they never posted something like this when that nasty bug was causing Xur not to carry heavy synths...

oh wait, i guess we all know...

It's because we all thought it was RNG.

"Useless"
We don't know how significant the net to Wolfpack is. It's still a high impact high velocity RL with tracking, proximity detonation and extra damage rounds that track enemies. It'll still be the best RL. It'll still be *just* a rocket launcher. The game will be the same except for 30s longer boss fights.

I don't know who's being crazier: Bungie for doing this or the community for caring so much.

I think the community, we still haven't tested the patch to really see for ourselves.

Rizzi

How do you earn reputation in a reasonable time? I'm only rank 1 with the vanguard and not even rank 1 with the crucible.

Bungie, pls!

OZYDh.gif

TLW getting eviscerated while Red Death and Thorn get a slap on the wrist.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
If you thought Thorn was going to get nerfed and TLW would somehow sneak by you're crazy.

Not saying I love how hard they hit it, but you had to see it coming. It's completely ridiculous as it is currently.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No snark at all, genuinely: why are you playing something that's boring? Killing a boss 30 seconds more quickly won't make it fun so what's the point?

I'm sick and tired of Strikes. Solution: I don't play them. Even if you gave me a god mode gun that killed anything in a single shot and I could clear a Strike in 50 seconds I still wouldn't because what's the point. On second that a gun like that would make them even worse :p

Anyways I don't understand this line of thought. You want to keep your Horn so you can do stuff you don't wanna do but more quickly so you can do more of it? Ok then :p

Honestly, I just want to get the stupid hunter boots so I can say I have all the exotics and consider the game finished. lol
Since PoE takes too long, Nightfall is the only time I play Destiny at all these days.

(That and I just want to see what quadruple jump is all about)

ethomaz

Banned
"Useless"

Bungie doing this.

The pourpose of Hypehorn is to be a super rare rockect launch that kills everything in seconds... the nerf will just make it a non-desired weapon.

That happened with Myto Vex... they made it close to useless.

For what I will go after a Ballerhorn now.

LiK

How do you earn reputation in a reasonable time? I'm only rank 1 with the vanguard and not even rank 1 with the crucible.

Vanguard- complete NFs, Strikes and do the Weeklies

Crucible - win PVP matches

You'll rank up fast pretty quickly these days.

LTWood12

Xur rolled Gjallarhorn, Monte Carlo, Hawkmoon, Fourth Horseman, or a weapon that isn't supposed to be in the game yet.

I'd wager.

ethomaz

Banned
Ice Breaker ammo regen even slower?

lol it will be more useless than ever.

I will even remember when it was a good weapon at launch with it super fast regen.

Lnkn52

we did? you and i remember budapest very differently.

it was before the heavy ammo glitch was discovered and everyone believed it was bungie's way to make CE harder :|

I remember people being shocked that it wasn't suppose to be RNG when Bungie said they were fixing it on one of the Patch Updates.

Why would people stock up on Heavy Synths.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I will even remember when it was a good weapon at launch with it super fast regen.

I honestly don't see it being used much at all anymore. 18 seconds extra to fill the clip. 160% longer wait...

Shito

The good thing about the Ice Breaker nerf is that we at least have a proof that all the people clamouring Bungie had stealth nerf it were wrong... ^^

LiK

Was a great weapon for cheesing raids and NFs. It's mediocre now and soon will be completely useless. RIP IB

I really wish they would just get rid of Thorn DoT. It really sucks to get hit a few times, but survive the encounter, only to die to DoT after that....In saying that, it is one of the few Exotics in the game with a true exotic perk. Most of the exotics in Destiny just have copycat perks or combined perks, but nothing like ammo regen, DoT, wolfpack rounds etc.

Namikaze1

The Dark Below:
Necrochasm - nothing but a joke (right now)
Dragon's Breath - the "I'm gonna pretend it's as good as a Gjallarhorn because I don't freaking have one" rocket launcher
No Land Beyond - Troll gun
Fourth Horseman - pre-buff: below average PvE shotgun / after buff: amazing but no Found Verdict

House of Wolves:
Lord of Wolves - decent but would get easily replaced with Ice Breaker or Gjallarhorn for Solar burn Nightfalls. Only useful for when fucking around in PvE and okay in PvP
Dreg's Promise - use a Vestian for the grimoire instead
Queensbreakers' Bow - best of the new bunch. A beast in arc burn Nightfalls.

Other:
Fate of All Fools - does not exist for 99% of the players in the game
Gjallarhorn - NEARLY 1 YEAR IN AND STILL KING, BABY!

if they want folks to change loadouts in PvE, they need to a) not make any more bullet sponges and b) make exotics as good as Gjallarhorn. I honestly don't see a nerf affecting Gjallarhorn's PvE status that much if the new exotic weapons turn out to be on the same level as the previous expansions' exotics.

The best exotic weapons in the game still remain Vanilla Destiny exotics. If they want us to change loadouts, give us better weapons. Yeah, HoW has better weapons for PvP but for PvE you still have people rolling with Fatebringer, Found Verdict, Gjallarhorn, and all the PvE mainstays. I need a good reason as to why I should replace Gjallarhorn with something else for PvE. Nightfalls don't count. If the new weapons are great then yeah I'll use Gjallarhorn less and less. But if they turn out to be like all the rest from The Dark Below and House of Wolves, expect people to still be using Gjallarhorn for almost everything PvE.

In my honest opinion, the nerf won't do shit to all those LFG posts. People will still be asking for Gjallarhorn wielders only.

deadduck

It's not, its precision range and accuracyfrom hipfire is being increased. The thing that if is meant for is getting better.

Thorns range is being needed, so it won't be sniping now too.

No snark at all, genuinely: why are you playing something that's boring? Killing a boss 30 seconds more quickly won't make it fun so what's the point?

I'm sick and tired of Strikes. Solution: I don't play them. Even if you gave me a god mode gun that killed anything in a single shot and I could clear a Strike in 50 seconds I still wouldn't because what's the point. On second that a gun like that would make them even worse :p

Anyways I don't understand this line of thought. You want to keep your Horn so you can do stuff you don't wanna do but more quickly so you can do more of it? Ok then :p

I can only answer for myself but I do the Nightfall because it's counter productive not to. The bonus xp for the rest of the week is reason enough to do it. But after you've killed Sepiks Prime once you've killed him 50 times.

Sometimes I do weekly, sometimes I don't. But nightfall feels like a requirement.

I never play vanguard strike list because that is some boring shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I honestly expected Dreg's Promise to have the same tracking bullets that the Vandal weapon has. That would have at least made it somewhat promising to use as an alternative to Horn anyway.

noomi

I honestly expected Dreg's Promise to have the same tracking bullets that the Vandal weapon has. That would have at least made it somewhat promising to use as an alternative to Horn anyway.

I'm really surprised they didn't mention anything about it either... but hey, there's still 2 months to go... so anything could still change.

raindoc

But the stacking DoT method is a nerf in PvP. It will make the weapon kill more slowly because by the time you get enough shots for the DoT to matter you'll have killed enemies anyways. The changes will make it unviable as a sniper and contestable in its intended range. Sounds good to me. And TLW got its balls cut off because its balls were too big. Double 111s meant a better TTK than literally any machine gun in the game, and anywhere between 2 to 4 times as quickly as any other primary.

Two double headshots weren't the norm. obviously it was annoying in the hands of a skilled player, but those aren't the majority, meaning most users probably won't even notice.. and the ram offers a 20% health buff, which made you survive it. 67% of the original DoT on Thorn from two headshots will still hurt you a lot and all you need is a fart from another player to kill you.
The average TLW user was dangerous in close quarters... and he still is. The problem will be, IMHO, that the range nerf will turn off the average user and the guys (and girls) that will be left running TLW will be doing exactly that: running with it straight into your face, like shotgun users pre special ammo nerf.

Top Bottom