• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Lnkn52

where did they say update 2.0 is being release 15 days before 9/15? I didn't notice that.

Lnkn posted it

They didn't say a specific date, just that it would be in September before TK. We would hope that it would be on the first, and it might as well be that day since it's a Tuesday.

Edit: On top again

200.gif

There are always donuts at my work on Fridays when I work from home. Xur, bring me donuts! I hope Bungie puts out a reason why Xur didn't have a weapon haha. I doubt it, but I'm too curious!

Sullichin

It's been weeks since I've played this, was way too burnt out on this game. Doesn't seem like I've missed much, with this patch not coming until September anyway. Not a fan of a lot of the changes in theory but I still wish they would release it sooner to breathe some life into the game now.

No Land Beyond Buff... yes. Sounds good. I think this is a fun PVP weapon already, if not a novelty. I just wish the game didn't give it to me so frequently.

Gjallarhorn Nerf... I don't know. I've never had the pleasure of owning one, though not for a lack of trying. I always thought that one heavy weapon should not be so much better than the others as to be the clear "best weapon in the game"... but making the other exotic launchers more powerful sounds like a more fun solution to me. I don't know why Bungie is so set on making the game harder.

Black Hammer nerf...fuck this. You will be better off with a field scout Efrideet's or other 5-6 round high impact sniper every time now. The most fun perk in the game is gone. It's amazing that didn't see the power of this weapon before releasing it. It's not like it takes that much skill to stunlock Sepktis prime or a Walker tank for a while and realize how good this shit is.

Ice breaker nerf... I don't see the point. Just more waiting in safety for ammo to respawn if you are using it like that.

Thorn... god damnit. It was perfect when the game first came out. 6 rounds, slow reload. If anything it should be that again with shorter range. But fucking with the DOT ruins it completely.

Hawkmoon nerf...god damnit. FUCK.

TLW... FUCK. My favorite gun in the game. Sounds like it is ruined for anything but the closest range encounters. I don't know if I can handle this.

There is a way to nerf blink and it's very simple.

The solution is to take agility into account for blink's distance, height and cooldown. As of now agility is the most useless stat in PvP.
With max possible agility you get the same blink with same cooldown and distance you have now. If you want this, you sacrifice armour or recovery....seems fair enough.

What is shit is a high recovery and high armour warlock being able to move fast by blinking everywhere.

Is this even a tradeoff? Armor isn't exactly that useful in pvp either. I still get two shot in the face with thorns and last words as a maxed armor titan like everyone else. Rapid blinking is so disruptive between the disorientation and shot dodging that it far out values whatever mitigation the armor value provides. And slower recovery doesn't matter so much when blink has left your opponent dead.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Is this even a tradeoff? Armor isn't exactly that useful in pvp either.

They made a very clear point that it will come the rebalancd. Red Death will kill in two precision bursts on a low armour target but three on high armour. You can bet the same will be true of many guns. Makes sense to give an actual reason to want to move away from armour though, as it stands now there's no reason not to go max if they don't make agility more useful.

Jinjo

Destiny OT27 Great, Now Everyone Is Hard /Dinklebot Voice

My problem is that Bungie doesn't try to put little weapon patches here and there to see how they work. They just do everything at once!

I can't imagine weapon rebalancing works best by doing many tweaks all at once. I could be wrong.

I wish I could farm strange coins on a new account hahaha

This. So so much. It's really the main issue with Bungie and Destiny right now. You can be sure they try to balance something and if it turns out to be the wrong move it won't be revisited 'till months later. It happened with the mythoclast overnerf, it took months for any kind of exotic weapon rebalance and aside from a couple changes here and there we've been stuck with this hilarious current destiny meta for months, and will still be for a while. They rendered entire weapon classes useless for both PvE AND PvP and did not do a single thing about it, while at the same time letting two/three weapons reign supreme in PvP (and PvE for others). Weapon balance and bug fixes should come above all else, but it's clear Bungie is more worried about creating and marketing new abyssmal content (red bull bullshit) than actually tinkering with the fun and balance factor of their game.

X he carried a 27 on ps4 ands that was a stretch lol. I'm a 21 how'd you get to 23 already? :)

27 a stretch?! Hmmm... I was a 29 and it was fine! I can't imagine 27 being THAT much harder haha.

My nephews slept over for 3 nights and the oldest alternated between 1-2 PvE missions and 3-5 PvP matches. After he got in the 10s, I told him do the Hard Mode version of the missions when you do if they're at least 3 below your level. I played probably 3 of those PvP matches but it really makes levelling go by fast!

Since then he's gotten lucky getting a better piece of Light Blue Gear with each strike.

nOoblet16

Is this even a tradeoff? Armor isn't exactly that useful in pvp either. I still get two shot in the face with thorns and last words as a maxed armor titan like everyone else. Rapid blinking is so disruptive between the disorientation and shot dodging that it far out values whatever mitigation the armor value provides. And slower recovery doesn't matter so much when blink has left your opponent dead.

Thorn is an exception...and armour is useful even more so in level based modes like Trials.

You are thinking it from a perspective of a single encounter between two people...even with slower recovery the blinker will kill you but what it won't be able to do is run around the map blinking like crazy because someone will get that guy easily and he will have to slow down because of longer recovery duration.

I don't think enough discussion is happening around Weapon Stat Perk nerfs. This affects every older gun in the game and their logic isn't quite honest:

Stat Perk Tuning Pass
The initial set of stat perks that have been on weapons since launch (Send It, Hammer Forged, Field Scout, Perfect Balance, etc.) all granted a pretty huge increase to their targeted stat. Not only did they spike their stat, but they never asked the player to make a meaningful trade-off for it on the weapon.

I want to talk about the bolded here, because it's not really true.

House of Wolves introduced individual perks that contained trade-offs in each pip, but to say that Vanilla/TBD perks don't have tradeoffs isn't really true. Take Thunderlord. Everytime I use it I have to decide between Field Scout's extra rounds or Perfect Balance's boost to actually putting the rounds where I need them. (Yes, I know about the way you can cheat and get both, but that's not the point because I have to make the same choice with Vision of Confluence or even Fatebringer.) There are meaningful trade-offs in perk trees and always have been.

The other facet of this is that it's a stealth nerf of raid weapons. Going back to House of Wolves introducing individual perks with offsets. This change was because House of Wolves weapons are reforgeable, and on the middle column you could get any combination of perks. However, that's not true of vanilla weapons. Vanilla weapons had fixed perk selections, so they were designed with base stats that complimented the known perks. These weapons were designed and balanced with the set values, which means they should have known how they'd play. They were powerful, but you had to chase them, earn them. Their power felt like a good reward. Evidently, they were too good. The identified perks are ones that that the raid weapons have, especially Vault of Glass. I believe these changes are targeted at "fixing" the "problem" of everyone using Vault weapons.

noomi

Bad Juju is the best auto rifle in the game right now. Give it a whirl.

it's crazy fun to use, a few weeks ago we had a teammate using it in trials and she was completely obliterating everyone with it.

I never really see it used though...

Plus it's makes some of the bounties really easy where you have to use a super or create orbs.

This. So so much. It's really the main issue with Bungie and Destiny right now. You can be sure they try to balance something and if it turns out to be the wrong move it won't be revisited 'till months later. It happened with the mythoclast overnerf, it took months for any kind of exotic weapon rebalance and aside from a couple changes here and there we've been stuck with this hilarious current destiny meta for months, and will still be for a while. They rendered entire weapon classes useless for both PvE AND PvP and did not do a single thing about it, while at the same time letting two/three weapons reign supreme in PvP (and PvE for others). Weapon balance and bug fixes should come above all else, but it's clear Bungie is more worried about creating and marketing new abyssmal content (red bull bullshit) than actually tinkering with the fun and balance factor of their game.

Oh Red Bull... that made me upset because not only do I hate that type of thing to be based on buying a RL product (might as well be microtransaction), but only limiting it to a crappy/unhealthy one and furthermore, only a store that not everyone has access to?

0 sense.

But yea, weapons should be "fine tuned".

SkylineRKR

Hmm, after a Dragon Strike an AMR7 dropped with Unflinching, hidden hand and Snapshot. Reroll for armor piercing or keep? Or is it worthless anyway?

Oh I forgot about 1 thing. I think the Nades & Horseshoes perk is fine. Might just be me though. People will really switch to the Truth/GHorn during heavy on Trials now.

it's crazy fun to use, a few weeks ago we had a teammate using it in trials and she was completely obliterating everyone with it.

I never really see it used though...

Plus it's makes some of the bounties really easy where you have to use a super or create orbs.

I always loved the Bad Juju + Obsidian Mind combo in Crota. Nova bombs everywhere.

noomi

I've been using my 6 dregg pride in void.... and you know what? It's actually quite awesome.

Too bad mine has dregg burn though :/

Future

Probably season pass related. They want taken king changes to feel substantial. I don't buy for a second that they can't do a few of these adjustments now

Deku Tree

Add a Five second cool down after each blink so you can't blink twice in a row and so you can't just keep blinking until you have the upper hand with your shotgun.

Future

I agree. Blink shotgun works but it's not like I keep dying to that so often. If anything, Blink is more noticeably superior to jumps when fleeing than when attacking.

I don't know. I was a hunter gunslinger for a long time and simply ignored the blade dancer equivalent. Recently started blade dancing and noticed two things: it isn't as easy as it seems to super kill tons of characters if you aren't prepared. And two, blink makes the game easier in general in pvp. In close quarters a couple of blinks have so many players spinning around looking for you, confused. I can now escape some rocket shots and everything else. It is so superior that I feel like I am nerfing myself by not using it in PVP

Hunters can't melee you and get a super shield on top of super armour though

Wait, how can a blink warlock (voidwalker) get a shield from melee (sunsinger)? I think you're mixing up 2 separate things.

The main issue is blink + shotgun, which is common to both hunters and warlocks. I do agree with you that it should be changed and your suggestion might work.

E92 M3

I have maximum levels of Sodium chloride for the Black Hammer nerf. The weapon was so unique and interesting to use and now they just stripped it of its identity. Doesn't give me hope for TTK weapons.

There is a reason, though, why they are saying this so early. Expect only positive news to follow from now on.

traveler

Not Wario
I have maximum levels of Sodium chloride for the Black Hammer nerf. The weapon was so unique and interesting to use and now they just stripped it of its identity. Doesn't give me hope for TTK weapons.

There is a reason, though, why they are saying this so early. Expect only positive news to follow from now on.

How is it interesting to use? It's possibly the LEAST interesting to use weapon in the game. When used in its optimal scenario, Black hammer was about a) killing stationary/near-stationary bosses super quickly, b) sitting in a safe spot and basically not interacting with the fight, and c) removing the need to reload or get ammo entirely. The point is to sit in one spot and literally aim down your sights until the boss is dead without needing to do anything else.

Top Bottom