• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

xur_s_hangover_by_dulcamarra-d91ngs4.jpg

Xur is hungover, apparently.

It's a bit crazy that they still haven't fixed Xûr...

Supposed to hit something like 2 weeks before TTK, with the whole TTK package we'll have to download.

I may not even see them. In fact, I probably won't buy the Taken king until Xmas Holidays, as in September I will have less than one hour of gaming time per day and too many releases.

I wish this would come out in August...

Agent

Bungie should just remove all player movement abilities from the Crucible to make it like Counterstrike/Battlefield where it is just walk/sprint. Maybe that would make people happy.

Namikaze1

* gets Legendary Heavy engram from Cryptarch package.
* heads to Rahool
* Gjallarhorn drops from said engram
* dismantles it

Sorry, Narmer.

I may not even see them. In fact, I probably won't buy the Taken king until Xmas Holidays, as in September I will have less than one hour of gaming time per day and too many releases.

I wish this would come out in August...
it's their world... we just get to play in it.
they've done it before, like the Suros nerf, but they're going completely overboard in messing with so many things at once.
i'm not going to pre-order TTK. fallout 4 comes out shortly thereafter, and if the balancing doesn't seem to be too broken, then i'll get TTK when it's cheaper.

D. Dark

Even with the nerf I bet Gjallarhorn will be the best pve exotic so it makes sense people wanting xur to sell it but im afraid it wont happen anytime soon.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So is it pretty much confirmed that Xur was going to sell Ghorn today? Why else would he have a weapon mysteriously missing all of a sudden?

nOoblet16

I'd argue the core reason for Ice Breaker popularity is to allow players to remain safe and a mile away, and less to do with stingy ammo. You run out of ammo not because of stingy drops but because you arent collecting any of the ammo if you plant yourself on that pipe in the back to kill that fallen walker or similar. Effect is doubled when "juggler" modifier is on

Part of why no one really mentions Invective even though it has a similar perk: You gotta be close to get any use out of it defeating the purpose

Uh no, I wouldn't use blackhammer if I am standing back I'll use an icebreaker if I do that because I cannot run around for ammo...example the templar and oracle fight from up top.
The game is very stingy about ammo because u can go minutes without any special drops. I know I have and I encounter this a lot when playing VoG or some other mode.

Even juggler for example, the way that perk should work is that you get ammo for the other category by using weapon from a different class so that you "juggle". But as of now you shoot 20 people to get 4 sniper bullets etc.

Zoidberg

why would this take 5 hours just add a shitty exotic and get it over with....:/

That it is taking this long points to some real fucking work that went into preventing ghorn from being sold, they locked themselves out! It's a good sign it is taking this long, they could have copped out and sold another weapon hours ago.

Or they just done fucked up Xur - it's bungoo so this is also just as likely.

Lyonaz

Bungie should just remove all player movement abilities from the Crucible to make it like Counterstrike/Battlefield where it is just walk/sprint. Maybe that would make people happy.

They should make a mode with weapon pick-ups and no supers! No exotics allowed and everybody in lvl 1 starting gear.

gspec

Bungie doesn't seem to understand that players playing habits in PVE are the way they are is because of the lack of content and depth of the game. We used the most powerful weapons to finish the bounties, strikes, raids, and now POE quickly because of the repetition of having to play so little content which the vast majority doesn't have much depth.

ich00

Hey Destiny Gaf, I'm thinking of finally hopping on board and getting the game. Just wondering since there are now 2 big expansions, is there any point to just getting the normal version of the game?

Is there enough active content in the vanilla version to last me a while or is pretty much everything now reliant on the first two expansions?

Not sure about PS4, on Xbone you can download a trail of the game that will get you to lvl 7 I believe. I'd say try that out, it will give you a feel for PVP and some story missions. If you like that I'd say go all in a get the full package, the Crota Raid is short but fun and Prison of Elders is enjoyable as well.

Gordon

I don't think enough discussion is happening around Weapon Stat Perk nerfs. This affects every older gun in the game and their logic isn't quite honest:

I want to talk about the bolded here, because it's not really true.

House of Wolves introduced individual perks that contained trade-offs in each pip, but to say that Vanilla/TBD perks don't have tradeoffs isn't really true. Take Thunderlord. Everytime I use it I have to decide between Field Scout's extra rounds or Perfect Balance's boost to actually putting the rounds where I need them. (Yes, I know about the way you can cheat and get both, but that's not the point because I have to make the same choice with Vision of Confluence or even Fatebringer.) There are meaningful trade-offs in perk trees and always have been.

The other facet of this is that it's a stealth nerf of raid weapons. Going back to House of Wolves introducing individual perks with offsets. This change was because House of Wolves weapons are reforgeable, and on the middle column you could get any combination of perks. However, that's not true of vanilla weapons. Vanilla weapons had fixed perk selections, so they were designed with base stats that complimented the known perks. These weapons were designed and balanced with the set values, which means they should have known how they'd play. They were powerful, but you had to chase them, earn them. Their power felt like a good reward. Evidently, they were too good. The identified perks are ones that that the raid weapons have, especially Vault of Glass. I believe these changes are targeted at "fixing" the "problem" of everyone using Vault weapons.
Yep more or less - make everything players have feel like shit so they're more motivated to throw more money down the DLC toilet. It's a lot easier than trying to produce a compelling piece of content that makes people want to play your game for said content when you can leverage all of your content by resetting players and making them grind it all over again.
I say fuck the TTK let's all just run Hardlights and grief in crucible - that the closest Destiny is going to get to compelling any time soon.

fallout 4 comes out shortly thereafter, and if the balancing doesn't seem to be too broken, then i'll get TTK when it's cheaper.

Agreed. Retail edition has more chances to go down in price than the DLC. Also, Fucking Danganronpa... Another Episode. That's something I want to preorder, since NIS cares more for Europe than friggin' Atlus

Gordon

Hey Destiny Gaf, I'm thinking of finally hopping on board and getting the game. Just wondering since there are now 2 big expansions, is there any point to just getting the normal version of the game?

Is there enough active content in the vanilla version to last me a while or is pretty much everything now reliant on the first two expansions?
If you like PVP you're good with vanilla. If you want PVE base game will get you the best/most challenging raid, and the DLCs are both let-downs, but they add to the very limited amount of end-game content available. First DLC has trash loot for everything except things that are getting nerfed into obscurity soon, second DLC came pre-nerfed.

zewone

If Bungie really fucked over people by not allowing Xur to sell the Gjallarhorn today...

Sometimes they just plain suck. Losing my patience with this game.

If you like PVP you're good with vanilla. If you want PVE base game will get you the best/most challenging raid, and the DLCs are both let-downs, but they add to the very limited amount of end-game content available. First DLC has trash loot for everything except things that are getting nerfed into obscurity soon, second DLC came pre-nerfed.

There have been pretty good sales on the package. $40 for it all. However, if you want to make sure you get all the bang for your buck, you can get the digital TTK CE for $80 and start playing vanilla and both expansions (when you're of level).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but without the expansions, you'll be missing out on a lot of good guns from HoW which helps PvP and PvE. There is an OK amount of content in vanilla assuming you enjoy it. The game is best enjoyed playing with other without a doubt.

The main question is, do you enjoy PvP? If so, you could take a shot at only vanilla to see how you like it. If you're in it for mainly PvE, you'd be best going for the expansions. To get the whole experience and best of all worlds, the expansions are a must. Hope that helps.

Well, I still have time to gather a few more strange coins before they fix Xur, but I'd be nowhere near 23 (Only nine left from last week). Nightfall and redoing the heroic on hard will be enough for exotic armor, though.

Top Bottom