• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

y4zYVj.gif

Unflinching is useless.

Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif

A_Gorilla

Banned
Of course! Are there any other Fun Runners that haven't downed him yet? Or any other first timers around here are welcome.

This week isn't ideal with Lightswitch + Small Arms but honesty it's not a big deal at all. Any time in particular work for you? I'll be around.

You up for a couple SKolas runs with me, Driz?

Unflinching is useless.

Gif comparison shows me the exact opposite conclusion. Unflinching clearly reduces the reticle displacement and makes it quicker to get within headshot range. The time to return to resting state may not vary much since the reticle movement slows as it nears the center position, but that doesn't matter. With high aim assist and/or Hidden Hand, that left sniper is going to get a headshot noticeably faster than the right.

Of course these differences are "small," only a few frames. But that makes all the difference in PvP and especially sniping. Most importantly, you can't use static testing. Those gifs have some dope standing perfectly still and not adjusting his reticle at all. Nobody snipes like that!!! Unflinching isn't essential, and the scope you use makes a difference. But it does what it says: reduces reticle displacement by ~33%, which is useful.

Heeh thanks, I tried the perk in PVE months ago, and noticed absolutely nothing, thought it was bugged (and fixed, as I saw all those saying it's a must have).

Definitely useless for PvE. It's for PvP only, Surplus is a much better PvE perk in that spot.

ocean

Banned
Heeh thanks, I tried the perk in PVE months ago, and noticed absolutely nothing, thought it was bugged (and fixed, as I saw all those saying it's a must have).

The description sounds great and some people say it's essentially a perk whose benefit you can't measure. It doesn't seem to do anything beyond a placebo effect. I like perks I can see. Pick you favorite sights, go for Quickdraw/Snapshot and some ammo perks so you can snipe more quickly and for a longer time.

Hidden Hand+Unflinching=Destiny Homeopathy

LiK

Gif comparison shows me the exact opposite conclusion. Unflinching clearly reduces the reticle displacement and makes it quicker to get within headshot range. The time to return to resting state may not vary much since the reticle movement slows as it nears the center position, but that doesn't matter. With high aim assist and/or Hidden Hand, that left sniper is going to get a headshot noticeably faster than the right.

Of course these differences are "small," only a few frames. But that makes all the difference in PvP and especially sniping. Most importantly, you can't use static testing. Those gifs have some dope standing perfectly still and not adjusting his reticle at all. Nobody snipes like that!!! Unflinching isn't essential, and the scope you use makes a difference. But it does what it says: reduces reticle displacement by ~33%, which is useful.

damn, you're like a walking database

X-Frame

Of course! Are there any other Fun Runners that haven't downed him yet? Or any other first timers around here are welcome.

This week isn't ideal with Lightswitch + Small Arms but honesty it's not a big deal at all. Any time in particular work for you? I'll be around.

Awesome!

I am not sure about the the Fun Runners, but I could always PSN message the group chat to see.

Oh right, someone else said this week was bad for Skolas and that next week will be better. Do we already know what next week will be?

I upvoted you. You are at 80% uprooted with 365 points right now. That's good IMO. I don't like the under-leveled bullet sponge mechanic and they even asked several people at Bungie about this at e3.

Ohh, interesting I didn't even think to check what the ratio was -- I was just going by the tons of disagreeing messages I got, haha.

ocean

Banned

The testing done had it within so few pixels that it was basically not enough to escape the margin of error. Whatever effect exists, it's not statistically significant. But once again, what I encourage everyone to do is to test stuff themselves and stick with what works instead of just following lists :) You're undoubtedly a more skilled sniper than I, and if you feel it makes a difference I know you're not just making that up. But so much of this will end up depending on your play style (whether you swipe shoot, quickscope etc) that it's usually best to try things out instead of following arbitrary lists.

Thursday, 8/6/15 - 9:00PM EST - Vault of Glass - Normal - Sign Up Here (5 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 29/31 for running the sword.

The forced underleveling is garbage, though I mind it less for PoE than a Raid. Straight garbage though, it has no place in any game, let alone a first-person shooter.

You are everything that's right with this community.

blazeuk

I have a question about Snapshot (and Quickdraw) for all the pro snipers out there.

This is my Her Benevolence at present: Shortgaze/Ambush, Hidden Hand, Hand-laid Stock, Unflinching.

What I'm wondering is: do I need Snapshot?

I really don't want to reroll, but I will, if that's what needs to be done. I just seem to notice that most of the time, the best snipers are using Snapshot. What's more, I heard Unstable say on his stream that Quickdraw is even better than Snapshot. But if I run Bladedancer, which is my favorite class for Trials, I get Quickdraw included with my subclass.

I doubt I'll ever be a true quick-scope master. And I like having Hand-laid Stock, because with Ambush, it puts my stability at near Praedyth's level for a second shot if I get a body shot or there are two targets. But I keep wondering: should I reroll for Snapshot?

Keep the roll you've got, weapon perks will help you along with sniping but for the most part it's all just about getting a better feel for the gun which you'll only get by using it often. Chances are in most situations you won't be using a sniper to quick-scope, you'll be listening for call outs and watching the map so you can set shots up from a distance.

You'll also have to think about the type of play style you want to go with, Unstable plays aggressively so the snapshot/quickdraw perks work great in those situations where you're constantly close to the other team and need to react much quicker than if you played more defensively.

ethomaz

Banned
Unflinching is not useless and the gif shows that.
BTW the difference between a head and body shot with a sniper is so small that Unflinching really does help.

You up for a couple SKolas runs with me, Driz?

Of course. When were you thinking? Maybe we can get a first timer in there again like last week, or Drubbed if he's around.

Me, Stabie and Jigga did a kill on Tuesday. I have an excellent gif that I still need to upload. You'll appreciate it since it throws salt on Jigga :p

damn, you're like a walking database

Lol I just play a lot. And save a lot of videos then go back and watch them. And talk to a lot of good players, or watch their Twitch streams. Occasionally read reddit stuff although the quality of those posts varies a lot obviously.

noomi

Had some kick ass salvage matches with Bits. I'm off to the dentist now, this is going to hurt :(

Won't be back online until tomorrow, see ya DGAF.

ocean

Banned
Of course. When were you thinking? Maybe we can get a first timer in there again like last week, or Drubbed if he's around.

Me, Stabie and Jigga did a kill on Tuesday. I have an excellent gif that I still need to upload. You'll appreciate it since it throws salt on Jigga :p

I've done Skolas before but had a pretty frustrating run this morning with 3 teammates dropping out before we could get it done, had to go to work and no checkpoints = ugh.

If you need a third I'd be more than glad to join y'all!

A_Gorilla

Banned

Actually, maybe in like a couple hours. Just remembered I have to take of some stuff. Good luck with the first timers.

And LOL at Ji66a, that what he gets for showboating!

Keep the roll you've got, weapon perks will help you along with sniping but for the most part it's all just about getting a better feel for the gun which you'll only get by using it often. Chances are in most situations you won't be using a sniper to quick-scope, you'll be listening for call outs and watching the map so you can set shots up from a distance.

You'll also have to think about the type of play style you want to go with, Unstable plays aggressively so the snapshot/quickdraw perks work great in those situations where you're constantly close to the other team and need to react much quicker than if you played more defensively.

This makes a lot of sense, Blaze. You don't seem to quickscope very much, yet you seem to do just fine racking up the kills or stealing kills from Robinson :p

Awesome!

I am not sure about the the Fun Runners, but I could always PSN message the group chat to see.

Oh right, someone else said this week was bad for Skolas and that next week will be better. Do we already know what next week will be?.

They basically just rotate a few sets: Lightswitch + Small Arms, Brawler + Juggler, Angry + (I think) Catapult. I might be forgetting some weeks but those are the main modifiers they use. Last week was Brawler so next week might be Angry. The modifiers aren't that big of a deal so we could do it whenever you have time.

Small Arms is just a little tedious this week since it takes longer to burn him with rockets. Lightswitch is a non-issue for a good team.

Top Bottom