• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Uh, if you factor in higher attack damage values and theoretically better equipment in new expansions, you would see reduced time to kill. The level disadvantage isn't needed to achieve that end. Also, coupling those gear advances along with a gigantic 32% increase in damage is going to trivialize every piece of content that relies on overleveling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah but do you have a good set of pots and pans? That's the holy trinity right there: good knives, good pans/pots, lotsa spices.
Not yet, that's next. my cookware sucks except for a stalwart cast iron skillet I've been using for a couple years for just about everything I possibly could. any recommendations for a good affordable starter set? :p

noomi

Just curious: how many ranks total do you have with DO? I know it doesn't really indicate anything, as it's RNG, but I am sort of miffed that I got Bittersteel and Revenant by Rank 13 with my Hunter and have had over ~35 rankups since between 3 character with no shader. I did get the ship, though, so maybe I should STFU.

Hmm, between alts and deleted characters, probably over 75 maybe 80?

Sorry if this is retread, but why will snipers be less useful? I thought the hype was shotgun and hand gun nerfs. Are snipers getting nerfed too?

Ikkarus probably refers to the notion that Year 1 weapons won't progress power-wise. Therefore it is not really recommended to go crazy on re-rolls.

I forgot about TTK. That settles it.

Also, Shadow of the Veils doesn't have it, and Robinson seems to be doing just fine in Trials without it (or Unflinching for that matter).

Shadow of Veils is where it's at. Although for the most sweaty games I switch to my HB
with Snapshot

phen0m24

tumblr_m2i2u498p51qc67tzo1_500.gif

Epic show is epic

Tjamato88

Thursday, 8/6/15 - 9:00PM EST - Vault of Glass - Normal - Sign Up Here (5 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 29/31 for running the sword.

The forced underleveling is garbage, though I mind it less for PoE than a Raid. Straight garbage though, it has no place in any game, let alone a first-person shooter.
I'm only a level 25 right now but I might be interested. I'm really close to hitting 26 so if I do I'd like one of those spots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm only a level 25 right now but I might be interested. I'm really close to hitting 26 so if I do I'd like one of those spots.

Go ahead and sign up. If the recent past raids have been any indication, a majority of our teammates will be >level 30, and your armor at level 25 has higher Defense than level 25 armor used to at launch. Do it!

Mindlog

I'm not really bothered by forced under-leveling. I understand the damage numbers. Under-leveling is just shorthand for Raid numbers. If we were equally leveled we'd just get raid variants or plenty of majors to mimic the same damage jump between standard high level content and a hard Raid's 'ultimate PvE challenge' niche.

Skolas being 35 isn't a big problem to me. The encounter has some great mechanics. It's the over the top insta-kills that got a little tiring.

I actually like the Halo Xbox. And it's 1TB the way Destiny's should be.

I'm not getting either but I'm super jealous of anyone who does!

I'm sorry but that's some of the most tortured logical failings I've read in awhile. Just misguided on every level: the main design goal is time to clear, the only way to achieve this is DPS and boss HP (ignores mechanics), it's good design to make bosses easier to kill in future expansions (firstly: no, secondly: higher attack weapons already do this), etc.

Plus it overlooks the most crucial fact of forced under leveling. You take 32% more damage which makes survival extremely tedious especially when combined with Major enemies, as Reign said. The importance of Majors to HM CE's failing can't be overstated. Skolas isn't nearly as bad due to no real Majors, plus the PoE gear gives huge armor and recovery boosts while HM CE had no normal recovery whatsoever.

As a Hoosier, I've been to the Three Floyds Brewery. I don't drink but I do appreciate quality, +1.

Ikkarus

Ikkarus probably refers to the notion that Year 1 weapons won't progress power-wise. Therefore it is not really recommended to go crazy on re-rolls.

Yep absolutely right. Apologies if I didn't make that clear. The sniper will still be viable for regular crucible perhaps but for Iron Banner and Trials a Year 1 sniper won't suffice as the damage will likely be too low.

X-Frame

I'm sorry but that's some of the most tortured logical failings I've read in awhile. Just misguided on every level: the main design goal is time to clear, the only way to achieve this is DPS and boss HP (ignores mechanics), it's good design to make bosses easier to kill in future expansions (firstly: no, secondly: higher attack weapons already do this), etc.

Plus it overlooks the most crucial fact of forced under leveling. You take 32% more damage which makes survival extremely tedious especially when combined with Major enemies, as Reign said. The importance of Majors to HM CE's failing can't be overstated. Skolas isn't nearly as bad due to no real Majors, plus the PoE gear gives huge armor and recovery boosts while HM CE had no normal recovery whatsoever.

Well said Drizz! Do you still organize newb Skolas runs? I do want to kill him at least once for that emblem.

deadduck

A HB will still 1HK on headshot in PvP in TKK. All high impact snipers will still be good, but we might get some better ones!

Well said Drizz! Do you still organize newb Skolas runs? I do want to kill him at least once for that emblem.

Of course! Are there any other Fun Runners that haven't downed him yet? Or any other first timers around here are welcome.

This week isn't ideal with Lightswitch + Small Arms but honesty it's not a big deal at all. Any time in particular work for you? I'll be around.

ocean

Banned
I forgot about TTK. That settles it.

Also, Shadow of the Veils doesn't have it, and Robinson seems to be doing just fine in Trials without it (or Unflinching for that matter).

y4zYVj.gif

Unflinching is useless. Following Reddit tier lists is a horrible idea, use whatever you personally find works for you :)

My opinion? Get a Sniper with a nice base AA. Shadow of Veils is great, if you're into 6v6 Eye of Sol is not bad. An LGH or HB rolled with the sights you like best (Ambush, Shortgaze and Longview are great - forget tier lists, play with them all and see which you like best), Snapshot or Quickdraw and two ammo perks like Double Down, Performance Bonus etc. are wonderful choices.

Deku Tree

I made a Reddit thread about not wanting a Level 41 Hard Raid and I am surprised by the amount of people who disagree with me.

I could have sworn there was a huge outcry over HM CE being Level 33 at the time and then again with Skolas.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I upvoted you. You are at 80% uprooted with 365 points right now. That's good IMO. I don't like the under-leveled bullet sponge mechanic and they even asked several people at Bungie about this at e3.

Sawneeks

Banned
Thursday, 8/6/15 - 9:00PM EST - Vault of Glass - Normal - Sign Up Here (5 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 29/31 for running the sword.

Is it cool if I join in? I've played off and on since launch but have never actually done a raid before ( or anything team-related outside of Strikes actually... ) and I have wanted to give it a shot. I have a level 31 ( I need to double check but 99% sure I'm 31 now ) Hunter with Bladedancer/Gunslinger maxed out.

Top Bottom