• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

void666

Banned
I think it's weird that oryx is pissed about his son being killed. "You killed my son."
It seems more likely that cabal or fallen would feel something like this as they are more like us. I may be wrong here but hive are like space zombies to me.

You killed Crota Hard over 100 times?

That 33 weeks with 3 chars... no possible because the Hard Mode was unlocked in middle January (about 28 weeks ago).

I did about 20 kills and got 2 drops (or 3 I don't remember).

Running sword for people etc 100 may have been a slight exaggeration but it's a lot

Still looking for people to do Vault

Kyoufu

I think it's weird that oryx is pissed about his son being killed. "You killed my son."
It seems more likely that cabal or fallen would feel something like this as they are more like us. I may be wrong here but hive are like space zombies to me.

The Hive have feelings too bro.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah, Hive have a weird, super-complex, ritualistic caste system with lots of ceremony. Oryx is basically their Zeus figure and we killed... well Zeus had like twelve hundred kids. Let's go with Heracles.

ocean

Banned
You killed Crota Hard over 100 times?

That 33 weeks with 3 chars... no possible because the Hard Mode was unlocked in middle January (about 28 weeks ago).

I did about 20 kills and got 2 drops (or 3 I don't remember).
People who run sword for others like Drizz and Dhruv easily have 100+ clears . So it's possible that he's participated in hundreds of runs and seen only a few drop :p

Nah, Hive have a weird, super-complex, ritualistic caste system with lots of ceremony. Oryx is basically their Zeus figure and we killed... well Zeus had like twelve hundred kids. Let's go with Heracles.

If anything his pride is probably hurt more than his "feelings".

It's a sign of weakness in the Hive to have someone so high up be killed.

School me- what am I actually getting for the money? I.e. what do the expensive stainless steel/multi-ply stuff actually do/do better?

this is all on topic by the way, I promise to cook or bake something vaguely Destiny when TTK comes out.

They distribute heat better so food cooks more evenly, i.e. no hot spots.
Cheap cookware tends to have plastic handles that aren't oven safe. They're more durable.

Another reason not to get non-stick is that there are cooking techniques and recipes that require bits of food be left to surface of a pan. For example, sear a steak. When the steak is done what's left in the pan is full of flavor. Add a little red wine and butter, reduce for a few minutes and you have a lovely sauce for your steak.

dB Viper

Crux I have only received one, in probably 40 clears. I've run HM x3 the past two weeks helping friends try and get it, and it has not dropped yet.

ethomaz

Banned
Running sword for people etc 100 may have been a slight exaggeration but it's a lot
I was just curious so I checked sorry.

42 Hard Crota kills you did.

That is a lot to be fair... I did 28.

People who run sword for others like Drizz and Dhruv easily have 100+ clears . So it's possible that he's participated in hundreds of runs and seen only a few drop :p
Yeap... that is possible but it won't count for the drop rate.... to calculate the drop rate you need to see how many "legit" kills you did.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cheap cookware tends to have plastic handles that aren't oven safe. They're more durable.
These have silicone handles, oven safe to 350F.. I say notbad.jpg !
Another reason not to get non-stick is that there are cooking techniques and recipes that require bits of food be left to surface of a pan. For example, sear a steak. When the steak is done what's left in the pan is full of flavor. Add a little red wine and butter, reduce for a few minutes and you have a lovely sauce for your steak.
Now that makes complete sense, but my instinct is that this sounds like a job for my cast-iron which is where I've always seared my steak. Yes? No? Have I been foolish?

ethomaz

Banned
Something's off as my Grimoire is at 102, point still stands though the drop rate is ridiculously low, or at least from my view, whether I'm doing it for loot or not
Grimorie shows Normal + Hard if I'm not wrong.

Yeap... it is rare drop... less than 5% rate for sure.

I know you're looking for something less expensive but seriously consider the investment in a few high quality pieces. They'll last forever. You don't need a whole set of which you will only really use a few pieces. I've had my core cookware pieces for twenty years.

I'd buy an All-Clad 10in skillet and an enameled dutch oven. Le Creuset is the best but pricey. Lodge makes a nice one too. These are your exotics you'll use all the time.

Then supplement with a cheap nonstick skillet, T-Fal is great, and a large stock pot.I like my Cuisinart. Combined with your cast iron, you'll be set!
Totally agree with your advice. I've got a lodge enameled dutch oven and I love it. Probably use it more often than any other lmarge pot I own. It may not be the same quality as a Le Crueset, but it's close enough, and so much cheaper than I can replace it three or four times before I'd hit the price of an equivalent Le Crueset.

And just to keep this somewhat destiny related...loved that the Destiny plot twist is that Destiny has a plot. After all those pr gaffes by Luke, that video was a nice breath of fresh air.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's not totally get our hopes up in the "now there's a legit plot!" department, ça va? :p

Better to be pleasantly surprised than re-disappointed.

edit: Top of Page, right.

Welcome to Taken CooKing with Hawkian, Hudson, Cpt. Science and Ichabod!

Really appreciate all the advice. Absolutely, I never put nonstick stuff in the dishwasher even when claimed "safe." dunno why anyone would reduce the life of their stuff like that.

I guess my thinking is, $100 I can basically just drop confidently right now, whereas $200+ makes me a little more wary- I mean, if I'm thinking the main issue is that the set might not still be totally up to par in August 2018.. well, I'll have paid $33.33 per year for a decent functional set and at that point I can go big with something more professional-grade when I haven't had so many other expenses at the same time.

I just want to spend all of your money Hawkian.

A nice non-stick frying pan for the lazy days
A Stainless saute pan for the good stuff: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005AL5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20
A spaghetti pot: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CGSYB2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Any sauce pan that you can find.
A dutch oven for bread and stews and roasts: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N501BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You'll have no regrets.

Frenden

Banned
I got a Crux in <10 HM completions I think. Super lucky.

Upgraded it all today. Making things explode is fun. I hope that Bungie's love for bullet hose ARs results in them being remotely viable post Taken King.

hydruxo

I mean most of the Hive are pretty much zombies, but I'd say that the big bads like Oryx, Crota, etc. probably are more capable of having actual emotions, reactions and shit. All the minor Hive are basically just mindless creatures.

Lnkn52

Let's not totally get our hopes up in the "now there's a legit plot!" department, ça va? :p

Very true. We only got to see the right half of the video from the leak. Who knows, the left side might be bad.

Now that makes complete sense, but my instinct is that this sounds like a job for my cast-iron which is where I've always seared my steak. Yes? No? Have I been foolish?

You're not wrong. A cast iron is great for the job and is extremely versatile. I have a vintage cast iron I absolutely cherish.

That said, I like seeing what's stuck at the bottom of the pan more clearly and prefer the weight and ease of cleaning of stainless.

Shall we move onto knives? ;)

ich00

edit: Top of Page, right.

I guess my thinking is, $100 I can basically just drop confidently right now, whereas $200+ makes me a little more wary- I mean, if I'm thinking the main issue is that the set might not still be totally up to par in August 2018.. well, I'll have paid $33.33 per year for a decent functional set and at that point I can go big with something more professional-grade when I haven't had so many other expenses at the same time.

Probably a great way to look at it. I believe you've chosen.....wisely.

Just remember only the Hard mode drops the Crux.

Ah good point. I'm not sure how many HM kills i've been a part of then, it seems like enought where I should have seen more Crux's drop.

I have 370 Crota kills, 175 on Hard.

Once I had a Necrocasm, I left a Crux in each character's inventory which means it won't drop for that character again. Never paid much attention to Crux drops for other team members, seems similar to Vex drop rate.

lt519

Ya'll are doing a good job with it, but can we please enforce the use of spoilers for story events, missions, etc leading up to and including the first few weeks of play. I'd like to use the thread as an LFG when I get back from travel and there are a few people that are in my boat and I'd rather not have content spoiled by GIFs and pictures, thanks :)

equil

So any idea why they're buffing and nerfing certain raid legendaries, if they're all gonna be pretty useless after the dlc?

Deku Tree

I want a Story! Luke says were getting a Story! The leaked shaky cam footage seemed to have a Story! What is the problem? :p

Yea but like the black hammer nerf. Wouldn't really do much in pvp as is.

Yeah Black Hammer nerf makes no sense but it's the only Year 1 Legendary being affected. All other balances were for exotics and for the weapon classes themselves. I guess they just don't want the "infinite" ammo to be possible at all. 365 damage weapons won't be obsolete at first, especially good ones. I mean a 300 attack GHorn with Wolf Pack is still damn good now.

Top Bottom