• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

LiK

hm, thinking back to one of the most annoying Trials matches i had. the enemy team had one Defender and they would just camp their spawn and only come out when they had Supers charged up. they basically also waited for the Defender to make bubbles for extra orbs. that was a pretty frustrating fight. they weren't bad since they repelled our attacks but what an annoying team to deal with.

Eyeron

Anyone running PoE 32?

I'm stuck at level 32 so it might be a little rough. I read up on Urrox. Should be able to survive.

PSN Eyeron80

GhaleonEB

Some thoughts on TTK changes revealed so far. Basically it's all kind of great, with caveats.

• Strikes: Bungie is finally designing content that is meant to be replayed a lot, to be replayed a lot. Rotating / alternate encounter designs have been on my wishlist since Destiny came out, so this is good news that should extend their longevity and hopefully make them more interesting. Adding in mechanics other than shooting to the mix is even better; PoE is better for them by a good margin and I hope we see the same. With four new strikes and three remixed oldies, it's actually a pretty tall stack of content. Pretty excited here. (This kind of encounter rotation is dearly needed in Prison of Elders.)
  • Marks: Vanguard and Crucible marks get merged into Legendary marks. If this means what I think it does, I'll finally be able to pledge to a faction and earn rep for them, without having to play Crucible to do so. That's kind of awesome because I'll be able to buy gear from 3 of the 4 venders, rather than 1 of the 4. (I assume Crucible rep only increases with Crucible play, which is totes okay.) This is another one that's been on my wishlist since around launch.
  • Leveling: The Light system has always been weird to me. I think it was used to make it so only people with the DLC - and thus the gear tied to it - could progress to the max level, but it was so weird vaulting levels with a few of items. A smoother progression makes more intuitive sense, and I won't miss ditching the Light. Curious about these other items we can equip that provide buffs. (Relics, I think they were called?)
  • Quest structures: Could be good news, and is a logical way to string together many of the different activities in Destiny. Destiny has had good ones and bad ones so far, but Bungie seems to be recognizing this. The Eris quests to track down unique spawns on the Cosmodrome was pretty neat. The Urn quest, on the other hand, was very frustrating and often felt arbitrary, but it had a great mini-mission at the end - and a really lousy reward (gauntlets?!). I hope we get more quests that are a hybrid of the good parts of those quest lines; more of the bounty / mission type steps, less of the "kill 100 thralls with void damage" type of quests" - and have a payoff. Quests should be worthwhile tours of activities, with something unique to them, not strings of arbitrary tasks standing between us and loot. There's been great progress here from the launch game to the House of Wolves, and Bungie is saying all the right things here, so I'm optimistic.
  • Dreadnaught Patrols: These have long been too easy, with no real challenge presented, even when we go after target missions tied to beacons. This started to improve with the introduction of the Blades of Crota, where higher level enemies would pop up now and then, and improved further with the HoW targets and events. Having pockets of reasonably high level enemies has been really nice (and added a sense of real danger for lower level players). They slowly became a way to choose a more challenging activity during patrols, in addition to public events. But sitting around waiting for Wolves to show up often got tedious. TTK sounds like it will take that progression a step further by enabling us to trigger our own public events / boss fights with things we find on the ship. I think it's another sign that Bungie's vision for Destiny is continuing to be refined and their original ideas progressed further, and for the better. I suspect Patrols will now sit alongside other endgame activities in the weekly reset cadence.
  • RIP Fatebringer: A few weeks ago I was pretty opposed to the idea of having so much gear become non-viable when TTK releases. I didn't want to give up my Another NITC, LDR or Fatebringer. But I've come around a bit. The biggest reason is realizing what it would mean from a game management standpoint: with TTK legendaries injected, juggling and balancing an arsenal of weapons and gear that balloons that much would be incredibly complex. And there's something kind of exciting about having to start anew with a fresh slate of Legendary gear. What worries me is, Bungie hasn't done a good job of adding great new gear to the game with the expansions. At least, from the stuff I have, only a handful of Legendary weapons from TDB and HoW stand out. (The Prison of Elders weapons, for example, are pretty bad across the board.) So we need good weapons to replace the year 1 toys - not just higher level gear. What they're doing with the three arms manufacturers sounds promising. And allowing Exotics to continue to be ascended is a fair compromise.
  • Other stuff: I hope we get new Vanguard bounties, and reshuffled patrols. And Mars needs a lot of love, too. Without Hive or Fallen, it feels awfully neglected.

Nearly all the other details (merging armor mats, the Gunsmith changes, kiosks with the full library of shaders and emblems) are really nice and are going to polish up the game greatly. The sheer number of changes coming are pretty overwhelming. It really feels like a total relaunch of the game. Destiny is going to start out year 2 so much stronger than year 1 it's almost comical.

darthbob

I genuinely hope I feel the same excitement playing TTK as I did when I played the Destiny First Look Alpha.

I miss that feeling.

neoism

lol that fire questions interview.. redeemed lukeems somewhat...

he really needs to fine his humor again...

Another graduate of Skolas School, hooray! Congrats to Sketch_Turntable, and GG to him and Bomb on another fun kill.

Stupid Light Switch is a non-issue... until vandals spawn from thin air on the middle mine platform and insta-kill two of your fireteam. Boo that.

Mik2121

Ok guys help, I played the game back when it released and all the way to level 29 I think, but didn't buy any of the DLC.

If I want to get all the new content, what would be the best thing to do? Wait for The Taken King or just go through it now? PS. I don't like the multiplayer in the game, just into the singleplayer and coop stuff.

Karl2177

Thanks Templar.............?

20150805212839.jpg

lol, reminds me of when Trance still needed a Fatebringer and I had 2 drop.
"Who's the asshole that got 2 Fatebringers? Fuck this game."

neoism

What do you guys think the odds of weapon balance 2.0 dropping tomorrow during the extended maintenance are?

yup im finishing up bman and wont really have much to play this month other than doing another bloodborne playthrough... 2 weeks with the new patch is just not enough... and for me if it comes out on sep 1 lol good bye destiny...
they reaaly need to release it this month otherwise there is no reason to play...

after seeing the mother base mgs5 video....@_@ rip in peace destiny...

LTWood12

I'm sure we will get a new fatebringer. Perhaps an exotic fatebringer?

Long may the hand cannon reign!

We'll either get a level 40 version from a higher difficulty level, or they'll let us 'ascend' it again in the second half of year 2. That's my prediction.

Holy shit I finally got a Vex Mythocast tonight. Played with a bunch of Gaffers(really cool group) and I thought all I got was a shitty helmet and sparrow.

Went to the tower and it was in my mailbox!! Been a long time since a drop in Destiny excited me.

We'll either get a level 40 version from a higher difficulty level, or they'll let us 'ascend' it again in the second half of year 2. That's my prediction.

This would REALLY piss people off that will probably sharded it way before then. They said legendary Year 1 legendary items could not be ascended.

LTWood12

This would REALLY piss people off that will probably sharded it way before then. They said legendary Year 1 legendary items could not be ascended.

From the GI article regarding weapons:

Our recent visit to Bungie headquarters confirmed what many fans have suspected for some time. Older legendary armor and weapons from across Destiny’s first year are not set to progress in power as Year Two begins. Simultaneously, dozens of new weapons and armor pieces are entering the game in an effort to revitalize the collection and discovery experience of the game.

This sticks out to me.

SeanR1221

Holy shit I finally got a Vex Mythocast tonight. Played with a bunch of Gaffers(really cool group) and I thought all I got was a shitty helmet and sparrow.

Went to the tower and it was in my mailbox!! Been a long time since a drop in Destiny excited me.

It was good playing with you man. Now we're vex bros.

*high five*

Holy crap I can't believe it's almost been a year of Destiny. I still remember that first night, that first weekend, that first exotic, that first raid. And GAF made that all the better.

todd360

No no I mean a new handcannon with the same perks. It will be pretty much the same gun only it will look different. Maybe different elemental damage and slightly different stats. The two main perks will make it the successor to the fatebringer. Maybe call it fatemaker or something lol.

Holy crap I can't believe it's almost been a year of Destiny. I still remember that first night, that first weekend, that first exotic, that first raid. And GAF made that all the better.

I still remember you randomly being in my raid group with a praxic fire on. I was so jealous.

SeanR1221

No no I mean a new handcannon with the same perks. It will be pretty much the same gun only it will look different. Maybe different elemental damage and slightly different stats. The two main perks will make it the successor to the fatebringer. Maybe call it fatemaker or something lol.

Bringer of Fates

"There, now stop complaining."

XenoRaven

Got my Titan to 20. Glad I held on to that Armamentarium that I got from who knows what on my Hunter.

I also killed two Bladedancers with the Stranger's Rifle and I'm wondering what world I stepped into.

LTWood12

I still remember you randomly being in my raid group with a praxic fire on. I was so jealous.

I would prefer that for sure. I definitely think we'll get updated versions of our old favorites though. Maybe not in year 2, but down the line as a way to play on our nostalgia for Year 1.

Triple's ToT Pulse rifle wrecks in PvP.

ToT?

Looks like SheHateMe is gone for the evening, so are there any other Skolas newbies who want to do a kill now?

If no newbies are interested, then anyone else want to do a Skolas?

Anyone running PoE 32?

I'm stuck at level 32 so it might be a little rough. I read up on Urrox. Should be able to survive.

PSN Eyeron80

Just got on incase you havent done it yet ill take ya and if ayone else that needs PoE 32 before i go to lfg?

Im sure even a sub 32's would be cool just gotta stay alive.

LTWood12

Looks like SheHateMe is gone for the evening, so are there any other Skolas newbies who want to do a kill now?

If no newbies are interested, then anyone else want to do a Skolas?

Got out of bed to turn on PS4. Loud thunder cracks right as I pick up the dualshock. 3 year old son screams out "Daddy!" And is scared out of his mind. :( it's like a higher being didn't want me to play today.

Top Bottom