• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

In 12 hours of play I've gotten one piece of legendary gear: boots. In that time I got two exotic weapons and 5 legendary weapons. I want to get to level 34 but the game won't let me.

Future

That sense of wonder is what I'm hoping to get back next month. There was something magical about that alpha/beta.

There was exploration, that's why. Areas with tough enemies you shouldn't go into, areas supposed to be sectioned off that you can still get into, etc. The alpha had you wanting to explore this big space

I haven't explored in destiny in months. Hell when vanilla was released, you don't feel the need to explore at all in general. "Gold" chests had crappy loot. Dead ghosts had no loot. Random chests had a pattern you immediately exploit. No secret areas with interesting challenges, loot, or anything

I'd love the new area in taken king encourage exploration.

123rl

In 12 hours of play I've gotten one piece of legendary gear: boots. In that time I got two exotic weapons and 5 legendary weapons. I want to get to level 34 but the game won't let me.

Hammer vanguard bounties until you've got 200. 2x75 will you get two of three pieces of armour to get to 32. If you play pvp then you can get some crucible armour too. Four pieces of armour will get you to 32

lol i give tokems a bunch of shit for never getting a black hammer so now he makes me do all the boss fights alone

Ha ha, Blackhammer's been mega glitchy for me lately with shots not registering. Anecdotal but its since I've switched to fibre, its like the game can't handle my connection

Also not sure if he's a member here but, gratz to HanTao02 who got his first Hawkmoon on Atheon last night, it was the craziest reaction I've heard yet from someone getting an exotic

ocean

Banned
I will say, the hype and fun HoW had when released was fantastic. Obviously for most it was many steps in the right direction. I won't forget that it took Grimlock, Javier and myself almost 40 minutes when it released to finally play the first HoW mission. It pretty much lived up to the hype then. TTK is a lot higher
We should get the same team together to knock out TK story missions when it comes out. We had a ton of fun, I had a better time doing these missions with you guys than I did later with PoE :p

Virdix

Just got a Matador 64 with Aggressive ballistics, Shot package, Reinforced barrel, and Luck in the chamber.

I'm ready to "Be the bull."

Nuszka

Tried playing a skirmish before heading off to work. Randoms and afk'ers and people who do respawn before you revive them, like come on.
Anyway, morning dgaf :)

RickD

Warning, Vent Post

I keep playing PVP on and off since launch but I'm finding it completely rage inducing.
I've been playing online Multiplayer on the PC since Quake 2, so it's not like i'm new to it.

I just seem to have an inventory full of Faulty weapons that won't register hits. I've unloaded countless rounds into people just to get shot gun sniped round corners.

I don't understand what it is? Just come from a skirmish game where i point blank shotgunned someone twice and it took them to 90% health. They turned round and OHK me. had a warlock point blank range with TLW completely unloaded everything at him, but you'd have thought id had my eyes shut because none of the shots registered.

How do people play this game in PVP? can someone tell me where the secret "make guns work in PVP" button is on the controller? as mine doesn't seem to have it.
ironically, I can snipe heads for fun, but I stick a full mag of thorn into someone and they laugh it off.
Also, how can people have issues with thorn of TLW - Borrow mine, they must be tested nerfs on them because they don't fucking work half the time!

Oh well.. Roll on the Taken King! New stuff looks amazing. Will probably stay out of the crucible from now on, only for my sanity and the safety of my Plasma TV.

geordiemp

Warning, Vent Post

I keep playing PVP on and off since launch but I'm finding it completely rage inducing.
I've been playing online Multiplayer on the PC since Quake 2, so it's not like i'm new to it.

I just seem to have an inventory full of Faulty weapons that won't register hits. I've unloaded countless rounds into people just to get shot gun sniped round corners.

I don't understand what it is? Just come from a skirmish game where i point blank shotgunned someone twice and it took them to 90% health. They turned round and OHK me. had a warlock point blank range with TLW completely unloaded everything at him, but you'd have thought id had my eyes shut because none of the shots registered.

How do people play this game in PVP? can someone tell me where the secret "make guns work in PVP" button is on the controller? as mine doesn't seem to have it.
ironically, I can snipe heads for fun, but I stick a full mag of thorn into someone and they laugh it off.
Also, how can people have issues with thorn of TLW - Borrow mine, they must be tested nerfs on them because they don't fucking work half the time!

Oh well.. Roll on the Taken King! New stuff looks amazing. Will probably stay out of the crucible from now on, only for my sanity and the safety of my Plasma TV.

Press centre pad, go to roster of platers, move over guys with red bar next to their name and report them for lag and cheating. If your bullets dont register they are lag switching or MTU limiting their router to be behind a few seconds...so they are not where they appear.

Ban hammers required. If all players ae green, then you cannot shoot a barn door lol

Warning, Vent Post
Pvp vent.

The issue is no dedicated servers its fucked up they talked big about how they had 500 million to make this game.Like really.....considering the content starved release them not paying for dedicated servers was an insult to the gamers who without their jobs wouldnt exist.

So we end up with horrible lag/packet loss ie. shots not registering,people shrugging off a rocket to the face and people teleporting.Add to that bugs that cause your weapon to not fire like TLW and the worst pvp weapon balance ive seen in a AAA game.What you end up with is a broken snipe shotgun,final round and the favorite Thorn/TLW/shotgun meta.

Nuszka

Our fireteam had made it past the gate. Took only 90 minutes.

I'm a defender.
Nooblet is a gunslinger.
Galavita is a sunsinger.
EJRobinson is a voidwalker.

That is so cool , if it wasn't for my work i would definitely be there. Maybe next year...

GlamFM

Banned
Guys - I played the Taken King yesterday.

I was super impressed.

We´re all gonna love it!

Also got a BlckSmith Shader - Yay!

GlamFM

Banned
Wow , what was it pvp, pve ?

There was a live PVE demo from the first Taken King story mission played by some Bungie guy in front of us.

After that we got to play 2 PVP matches of skirmish (?) with the new subclasses on new maps.

Everything seemed like a big step up from what was there before. Especially the story mission.

noomi

They could not take pictures , but someone took a stealth cam recording of the first mission , bad quality but watchable.

I saw the video link posted yesterday, decided not to watch it. I don't care about reading spoilers, but watching them.... eh. I want to experience that awesomeness first hand :D

Also, lets play more salvage today if you have time :)

I saw the video link posted yesterday, decided not to watch it. I don't care about reading spoilers, but watching them.... eh. I want to experience that awesomeness first hand :D

I'm up for some salvage noomi. Need that grimoire

Nuszka

Awsome, yeah i should be on but do not know what time , my evening hours definitely.

noomi

Ruthless....

You being online for this long is making my OCD kick in.... I want to turn off your PS4 lol.

Couldn't you have stayed at gorgons at least if you were gonna be on this long :p

Here´s a picture Deej took of us waiting in line.

I´m the guy in the grey shirt with sunglasses.

;)

https://www.facebook.com/Bungie/photos/pcb.10153068409761149/10153068405846149/?type=1&theater

Awesome, I'm pretty jealous of you guys :p Seems like it's crazy fun to be a part of. Keep us posted with juicy details :D

I'm up for some salvage noomi. Need that grimoire

Same here man, need about 15 more wins. If I see you later, lets team up.

GlamFM

Banned
Ruthless....

You being online for this long is making my OCD kick in.... I want to turn off your PS4 lol.

Couldn't you have stayed at gorgons at least if you were gonna be on this long :p

Awesome, I'm pretty jealous of you guys :p Seems like it's crazy fun to be a part of. Keep us posted with juicy details :D

Same here man, need about 15 more wins. If I see you later, lets team up.

Oh yay - one JUICY detail. Titan hammer seems totally OP in PVP. Pretty sure they´re gonna change it.

;)

inthrall

Speaking of shaders, does anyone have a spare Red Bull one? I missed the exploit and live somewhere where it is impossible to claim one

Morning, Dgaf.

One week after ragequitting, things look different this time. I haven't logged back two days later, and there is absolutely no desire or withdrawal. In fact, things look quite different since abandoning: Kitchen looks cleaner, I'm getting stuff done, I only play one hour per day (Ground Zeroes and DMC) and diet has improved (more time to cook). Half of the time I will say "I'm bored, what can I do?" to the point that I will go back to studying, sorting stuff or watching Sherlock. Not to mention I'm going to bed earlier (Instead of "let's do another strike in case something drops) and waking up on time. These last two months and 100 hours feel like a bad dream that is easily forgotten.

Seeing things like this, I find it difficult to return to the game, even if the few things I've heard about TTK seem good (or at least you see less hate in the gaming forum). It does not seem like MMO's in general are a good influence for me or that I can keep in control and manage times. With the games I am playing there is no sensation of "you could be missing a reward", so I have to force myself to play for the sake of backlog completion.

Also, It's been a depression free week. Everything looks brighter.

kiri

Dear DestinyGAF - I'm having some issues;

Used to live in Japan, now in the UK.
In Japan, I bought Destiny (physical) and DLC 1 (registered to JPN PSN when setting up Lvl 28 character).

I want to get the Legendary Digital edition of Taken King (and I'll sell the disc back) but upon trying to preorder today, JPN PSN store tell me that I can't preorder the Legendary Edition because I have already bought DLC1.....but it will let me buy the 'regular' edition of TTK (without the exotic items and shaders).....wtf?!?!

Any ideas for a fix to get the Exotic items AND let me keep my Lvl 28 Titan?

Skele7on

Banned
Dear DestinyGAF - I'm having some issues;

Used to live in Japan, now in the UK.
In Japan, I bought Destiny (physical) and DLC 1 (registered to JPN PSN when setting up Lvl 28 character).

I want to get the Legendary Digital edition of Taken King (and I'll sell the disc back) but upon trying to preorder today, JPN PSN store tell me that I can't preorder the Legendary Edition because I have already bought DLC1.....but it will let me buy the 'regular' edition of TTK (without the exotic items and shaders).....wtf?!?!

Any ideas for a fix to get the Exotic items AND let me keep my Lvl 28 Titan?

Buy DLC2 and the stand alone TTK normal edition from JP store, there is a seperate pack for the shiny (collectors TTK) on the way, it was announced earlier, just not up for preorder yet.

Morning, Dgaf.

One week after ragequitting, things look different this time. I haven't logged back two days later, and there is absolutely no desire or withdrawal. In fact, things look quite different since abandoning: Kitchen looks cleaner, I'm getting stuff done, I only play one hour per day (Ground Zeroes and DMC) and diet has improved (more time to cook). Half of the time I will say "I'm bored, what can I do?" to the point that I will go back to studying, sorting stuff or watching Sherlock. Not to mention I'm going to bed earlier (Instead of "let's do another strike in case something drops) and waking up on time. These last two months and 100 hours feel like a bad dream that is easily forgotten.

Seeing things like this, I find it difficult to return to the game, even if the few things I've heard about TTK seem good (or at least you see less hate in the gaming forum). It does not seem like MMO's in general are a good influence for me or that I can keep in control and manage times. With the games I am playing there is no sensation of "you could be missing a reward", so I have to force myself to play for the sake of backlog completion.

Good to hear you are doing well Apple, and it sounds like you're making the best decisions for your life right now. Destiny should be about fun and socializing so anytime it feels like a negative influence is a good time to walk away. It sounds like changes in TTK are further reducing the grind and helping folks to have a more casual but still fulfilling relationship with the game.

If you ever pick up TTK, we'll still be here happy to help answer questions, sherpa the new raid or anything else. Stop by anytime. All the best.

Resseh

you get one free level up with ttk, although hot damn all those weapons ect. You messed up with that rage quit.
Weapons I'm ok with - it's the dead orbit shader that hurts. :(

It just felt like I was wasting too much time on destiny grinding the same shit. But the addiction was too strong to quit without something drastic ...

kiri

Buy DLC2 and the stand alone TTK normal edition from JP store, there is a seperate pack for the shiny (collectors TTK) on the way, it was announced earlier, just not up for preorder yet.

Thank you for that - can anyone else weigh in on this - is it the best option?

I always recommend people save a video if something happens they really don't understand. A lot of times lag is the culprit, but it doesn't necessarily mean the other player is doing something decieitful. I've received multiple messages after Crucible matches where people said they reported me for cheating when that's obviously never been the case.

If you carefully watch your video you might notice small details that logically explain what happened. Maybe your shotgun was just a little off target so only some of the pellets hit, leaving him with a sliver of health. TLW has a lot of recoil and sometimes the shots barely bounce just wide of your target. You'd be surprised how often those things happen. It can help improve your skills a lot by better understanding the small details.

Skele7on

Banned
Thank you for that - can anyone else weigh in on this - is it the best option?

The only other option I can think of is buy the collectors edition from UK store on a UK account set that to primary

You can then use it all on the JP account, although depends on exchange rates UK vs JP.

Either way you're in a horrible middle zone which sucks.

Good to hear you are doing well Apple, and it sounds like you're making the best decisions for your life right now. Destiny should be about fun and socializing so anytime it feels like a negative influence is a good time to walk away. It sounds like changes in TTK are further reducing the grind and helping folks to have a more casual but still fulfilling relationship with the game.

If you ever pick up TTK, we'll still be here happy to help answer questions, sherpa the new raid or anything else. Stop by anytime. All the best.

Hugely agree with the bolded, I was at an awful stage with the game doing all the bounties/dailies x3 everyday and feeling like I had to do all the raids/Nightfalls and weeklies as soon as possible

Now I just logon and do whatever I feel like doing, so my enjoyment level of the game has ten folded - Though Gjallahorn finally dropping helped a lot, still it's important to try and get some balance with it all

Edit I even got the urge Monday to collect all the ghosts I needed for Guardian Lord

noomi

Morning, Dgaf.

Hey Apple, glad to hear you are doing better dude. Destiny can definitely feel like a chore sometimes, and taking a break from things is always a good idea. Seems like you are getting everything sorted, and that is certainly a positive.

Take all the time you need, and remember that DGAF will always be here :)

kiri

The only other option I can think of is buy the collectors edition from UK store on a UK account set that to primary

You can then use it all on the JP account, although depends on exchange rates UK vs JP.

Either way you're in a horrible middle zone which sucks.

That's the only option.

Thank you and thank you - well DLC2 is 2160yen and 5292yen for TTK which comes out to 7452yen (about $60/£38) so unless the Exotic goodies pack is more than 3000yen (which I highly doubt), then I won't have gotten such a bad deal - that works out!

Plus I suppose the silver lining is that by buying the DLC2 now, I will get the Year 1 shaders, Sparrow etc.!

RickD

I use:
TLW/Hopscotch
Party Crasher/ Her benevolence
Truth/Thunderlord

I tend to stay away from the small team stuff as that is where most of the cheaters are. Clash is the best imo. What character do you use?

I've got a full set of 34's with Most of the exotic stuff and raid weapons etc... I've tried allsorts. Honestly can't really find anything i can really "gel" with, but I tend to prefer my Titan, because i enjoy Shoulder Charge! well.. When it works lol Those 2 second delays are a killer.

Press centre pad, go to roster of platers, move over guys with red bar next to their name and report them for lag and cheating. If your bullets dont register they are lag switching or MTU limiting their router to be behind a few seconds...so they are not where they appear.

Ban hammers required. If all players ae green, then you cannot shoot a barn door lol

lol, there may possibly be sometimes a slight chance that i may have missed, but it's enough to cause me to question if people are just doing random stuff like that just to get an edge. and more than enough to make me question my sanity anyway.

The issue is no dedicated servers its fucked up they talked big about how they had 500 million to make this game.Like really.....considering the content starved release them not paying for dedicated servers was an insult to the gamers who without their jobs wouldnt exist.

So we end up with horrible lag/packet loss ie. shots not registering,people shrugging off a rocket to the face and people teleporting.Add to that bugs that cause your weapon to not fire like TLW and the worst pvp weapon balance ive seen in a AAA game.What you end up with is a broken snipe shotgun,final round and the favorite Thorn/TLW/shotgun meta.

Yeah, honestly, I've had all the consoles since the 8 bit days, along with Amiga/PC etc... and Destiny is the first Game I can honestly say i've ever bothered to play PVP on Console, So i wasn't sure this was a "feature" of the P2P style hosting. I've always played server based stuff. I even upgraded from the PS3 to PS4 to follow friends i'd met on the game.

Hand on Heart i think they need to rethink the PVP element and decouple it from the PVE progression. It is obviously causing issues with the way it's played and the balance. I'd love to use other guns, but you end up with having to play a certain way just because everyone else does. They need to take the Randomness out and flatten the playing field. get rid of the daft perks which give you an edge and make people rely on skills (or dodgy network configs lol) more than specific weapons.
But how would you do that? grinding for progression ala Battlefield? Buying weapons like Counterstrike? or maybe have a specific set of weapons for PVP which all have the same perks, but like the new ones in the POE, they have a down side, so you can build a weapon to do a specific thing, but not excel in everything but everyone gets access to the same stuff.

That turned out longer than I was expecting!

Anyway I'm really hyped for Taken King, and it seems like they are making massive strides forwards with the game this time. I think getting rid of the light level for example is a great idea so we can put builds together without having to grind for Etheric light. I'm also tempted to go through the story again just to see what changes they make for fresh players.

Top Bottom