• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

deadduck

Two questions:

How hard is it to get a second cable outlet made 'hot' in my home. Comcast said they can't come out for two weeks!

Secondly, if I buy a second wireless router for that outlet, can it be a separate wireless network?

The problem I'm having is my comcast wireless router is on the lower level and doesn't reach very well to my bedroom on the main level. And upstairs there's almost no reception. I'm wanting to have a strong signal all over the house.

You could plug a wireless router into your current one (if it has a LAN cable port) and you won't need a second feed.

I don't understand all this hate for optional match making for any mode. I ran plenty of successful LFG parties on HM crota and had several team first tries. Sure, there were some bad parties, but that happens with GAF people as well. If it's made optional then imo its just some elitist attitude saying to keep it normal only or no MM at all!!! Sure, at first it would be hard for things like new raids, but over time everyone could do it as strategies and videos became well known and available. As long as they don't implement a sword mechanic where one person is the clutch player then optional MM won't be the damn plague half of DGAF makes it out to be.

Watched that IGN interview. From what Deej says, it sounds like light level (determined by your gear) is still actually what affects your ability to complete certain encounters. They've just separated out the 'level-up' mechanic to be less confusing for people.

Translation, a level 40 player w/ a total light level of 30 would be worse off than a level 20 character w/ light level 34 gear. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it kind of makes sense.

So what does leveling up even accomplish then?

Just to have it?

LTWood12

Can't answer the first but the second is yes. You can create how many networks you want in your router settings.

I would also recommend Powerline adapters to extend your network. They are easy to setup and should work just fine.

Don't you have a repeater? Or use a power line adapter.

I've tried these before and they sucked. But I wasn't using a Powerline one. Are those the best ones?

Homeboyd

I don't understand all this hate for optional match making for any mode. I ran plenty of successful LFG parties on HM crota and had several team first tries. Sure, there were some bad parties, but that happens with GAF people as well. If it's made optional then imo its just some elitist attitude saying to keep it normal only or no MM at all!!! Sure, at first it would be hard for things like new raids, but over time everyone could do it as strategies and videos became well known and available. As long as they don't implement a sword mechanic where one person is the clutch player then optional MM won't be the damn plague half of DGAF makes it out to be.
MM =/= LFG

maomaoIYP

Destinys my only disc based game, all the others are the PS+ offerings, which I've never downloaded ;d

Are you up for reset Trials tomorrow?

Yeah I can probably can do a card before I go to bed. I gave in and just completed my thorn bounty. Tired of losing to a cheap ass weapon so I figured might as well join in.

This confuses me. Cause they did that.

LiK

So what does leveling up even accomplish then?

Just to have it?

Basically to appease complaints from players who couldn't reach max lvl the old way. Seems like an illusion of being maxed lvl since regular gear is not as good as gear with light at the same lvl.

kiguel182

I've tried these before and they sucked. But I wasn't using a Powerline one. Are those the best ones?

That's the ones I use and they work fine.

The wireless one is a little more tricky (my sister's computer doesn't connect to it for some reason) with me but the lan one is pretty flawless and I think you could just plug a router to it and use the router to create the network instead.

Basically to appease complaints from players who couldn't reach max lvl the old way. Seems like an illusion of being maxed lvl since regular gear is not as good as gear with light at the same lvl.

OK now I am really confused

There is clearly some missing details here

Deku Tree

Two questions:

How hard is it to get a second cable outlet made 'hot' in my home. Comcast said they can't come out for two weeks!

Secondly, if I buy a second wireless router for that outlet, can it be a separate wireless network?

The problem I'm having is my comcast wireless router is on the lower level and doesn't reach very well to my bedroom on the main level. And upstairs there's almost no reception. I'm wanting to have a strong signal all over the house.

1) I don't think you can make a second outlet "hot" yourself. You could try buying a switcher and possibly splicing the wire somewhere but there could be other things that Comcast has set up that prevent it from working.

2) I have three Apple airport extremes in my house and they each pick up and relay the wifi signal from the other ones and without them my wifi wouldn't travel around my whole house. Works great. It's because I live in a city and there is massive wifi congestion. Places like Best Buy sell several other non-Apple pieces of equipment that can help you extend your wifi network.

kiguel182

I think the idea is that your base stats will not be influenced by your gear but you'll obviously still need increasingly better gear to progress in the game.

But the idea is that that gear will be more easier to obtain too I think.

And it's still how games like WoW do it. You have your level but you can't do end game stuff with the first sword and shield they give you.

Why can't we have space beards?!?! T.T
That's the only thing left for them to do.

Space beards should be on the top priority for the taken king.
Space beards would interfere with the hermetic seal at the neckline of guardian armor. Or so I assume, based on why my friend told me he had to shave his earth beard when he became a firefighter.

Or perhaps that was the first thing the vex screwed with when they started time travelling; removing space beard genes from human history.
Namikaze1 and kiguel182, it warms my heart that there are still guardians who still keep their light focused on the important things. Teasing_Pink, you give us excuses when what we need are space beards.

100_0537.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
matchmaking (regardless of what virtues one might argue it would bring to the table, or the enormous potential for a bad experience I caution against) wouldn't be necessary with a comprehensive in-game fireteam search/LFG board, hawkian murmurs for the sixty-seventh time

ich00

There's the other issue that people don't have mics and won't use em. For raids that are new it becomes an issue if more than one person isn't talking and with LFG people are more open to talk.

I think this would be the biggest problem with Raid MM. Not having a mic for the nightfall/weekly/daily/crucible/28 PoE isn't that bad. Sure it sometimes will make things easier, being able to communicate, but it's not required.

Raids are a whole different thing tho. I've done raids a few times with out a mic and it makes the experence much more difficult.

If they did do matchmaking, even if it was optional, they'd have to put into place some sort of requirements to enter into MM and I don't know if they could even do that.

Imagine you're a first time player, no mic, trying to do normal VoG. Even if you had a experenced team, it would be a miserable experience for that new player.

deadduck

So you're saying drop a LAN cable down through the wall? Not sure I'm capable.

Lots of options

Run a cable from your current router as close you can get and put a new wireless router there.

Get wireless repeaters, that sync with your original router and work like a wireless mesh around your house.

You can get Power Injectors that use your power cables to transport network data around your house.

Run a cable. If you can't run a cable, power Injectors are second best.

I think this would be the biggest problem with Raid MM. Not having a mic for the nightfall/weekly/daily/crucible/28 PoE isn't that bad. Sure it sometimes will make things easier, being able to communicate, but it's not required.

Raids are a whole different thing tho. I've done raids a few times with out a mic and it makes the experence much more difficult.

If they did do matchmaking, even if it was optional, they'd have to put into place some sort of requirements to enter into MM and I don't know if they could even do that.

Imagine you're a first time player, no mic, trying to do normal VoG. Even if you had a experenced team, it would be a miserable experience for that new player.

Agreed

There are just things the require communication in this game

phen0m24

Two questions:

Lt grab a set of basic powerline adapters and give them a try.

Basically you plug one directly into the wall next to your router, connected with a CAT5 cable to your router.

Go upstairs and plug the other adapter into the wall somewhere you want more coverage. That second adapter has a network plug into which you could plug another router or an extender, which should then carry the signal.

Check out powerline adapters. There are multiple brands TrendNet, Zyxel (I think) and even Cisco/Linksys. :)

Daemul

All you need for Raid MM is a mic requirement and require that a person should have finished the raid from beginning to end atleast once. BOOM! You've weeded out the worst potential teammates.

Homeboyd

I disagree. For the majority of it you are getting random people together unless you are one of those people demanding things like class/weapon specifics.
That's a problem with weapon/gear balance, which they're addressing in 2.0. They've said many times they don't want one weapon or loadout to be the go-to for everything, hence nerfs everywhere.

LFG people aren't "random" in the same sense matchmaking is. People are going out of their way to post on a website looking for particular types of people with particular types of gear/experience which the party leader(s) can then view and make a decision about whether you can join or not. Matchmaking is going to pull random people who pushed a button into your group and you're (more likely than not) going to have a bad time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use Zxyzyel powerline adapters, both in the old place and set up in the new. They're pretty damn easy to get up and running and work great.
That's a problem with weapon/gear balance, which they're addressing in 2.0. They've said many times they don't want one weapon or loadout to be the go-to for everything, hence nerfs everywhere.

LFG people aren't "random" in the same sense matchmaking is. People are going out of their way to post on a website looking for particular types of people with particular types of gear/experience which the party leader(s) can then view and make a decision about whether you can join or not. Matchmaking is going to pull random people who pushed a button into your group and you're (more likely than not) going to have a bad time.
true facts. also critical, an LFG post has an originator and thus a de facto leader

LTWood12

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm even more confused now.

Get a Netgear powerline adapter. They're awesome. Don't buy those no name brands. They're cheaper but they're awful.

There are so many to pick from...

Lt grab a set of basic powerline adapters and give them a try.

Basically you plug one directly into the wall next to your router, connected with a CAT5 cable to your router.

Go upstairs and plug the other adapter into the wall somewhere you want more coverage. That second adapter has a network plug into which you could plug another router or an extender, which should then carry the signal.

Check out powerline adapters. There are multiple brands TrendNet, Zyxel (I think) and even Cisco/Linksys. :)

So I need to buy 2? You say to plug in a router or extender into the second one. So the powerline doesn't extend the network on it's own?

Yeah I can probably can do a card before I go to bed. I gave in and just completed my thorn bounty. Tired of losing to a cheap ass weapon so I figured might as well join in.

You'll hate yourself on every trigger pull, then laugh as they die to DoT after you've run away

Its 6pm GMT for Trials so 2am? for you

My tests were before maintenance time... everything were up.

They always kill the apps/website/api when its maintenance, presumably to stop shenanigans

Dude the volume of Destiny threads on GAF right now...

You can tell that as much as people hated parts of the game they still wanted Bungie to turn things around and give them a reason to play again

GutZ31

Now imagine the absolute worst case, with everyone without a mic, and at, or below level.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm even more confused now.

There are so many to pick from...

So I need to buy 2? You say to plug in a router or extender into the second one. So the powerline doesn't extend the network on it's own?

Powerline adapters are piss easy to setup and work great as long as the wiring of your house is condusive to it.

They can range wildly in price but I have yet to buy a set that doesnt work well enough for gaming.

Keep an eye on Slickdeals

People can easily lie on LFG about what they actually have. I respect your view on it, but still think it's the same results as MM. Also , MM gives people who otherwise wouldn't a chance to at least do the activity. Especially for things like the NF which there is no reason why it shouldn't have MM at this point. And if its optional for all events where is the harm?

MrDaravon

Wait wait wait

I thought with the Ethernet AC plug things there was still wiring you had to do. So you are saying I can just buy two, plug my router into one, then plug the other adapter in a different room and it just works???

rNilla

Something like this and an ethernet cable (to connect one of them to your modem or router) is all you need.

Wait wait wait

I thought with the Ethernet AC plug things there was still wiring you had to do. So you are saying I can just buy two, plug my router into one, then plug the other adapter in a different room and it just works???

Yes, I've set them up for a couple houses and they are relatively simple (assuming it works with your house's wiring).

Skele7on

Banned
you-dont-understand.gif

Every pro matchmaking post/thread/opinion

Like Imagine a new raid, matchmade with strangers stuck for hours.

It's hard enough to bare with friends I like.

Now imagine the absolute worst case, with everyone without a mic, and at, or below level.

and they're all using the wrong elemental damage, running in to start encounters before a plan can be hatched and dying repeatedly from their own stupidity.
i'm usually that guy :/

Edit for top of the page!!

Give us SPACE BEARDS (or at least access to good dentist)

Top Bottom