• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

I think having the signature perk active when you get a weapon is a good idea, actually.

I've had to caution a lot of new players not to dismiss a gun outright when they first get it, try it out and feel like it's shit. "You've got to level it up first. To the signature perk at least before you make your decision." I always tell them. Then they make a noise that's somewhere between a sigh and a groan because they don't want to grind up a gun they currently dislike just to find out they might like it later.

And yeah, I totally get that.
That's just being lazy. With bounties it take no time at all.

Regarding the Powerline adaptaers (Saw them mentioned a few pages back), it is what I have been using for the last eight months. A cheap pair of Dlink homeplug as I could not find anything from Cisco and needed them fast. Usually they work well and the internet connection test gives the same results as if I was directly connected to the router, but...

Over the time they tend to act weird when they have been powered on for too long, this being most noticeable when streaming HD video from the NAS across the powerline adapters. Switching them on and off takes care of the issue, but since the Newbie VoG raid (I'd get lots of disconnections from both the game and party) I began restarting the whole home network before anything "serious" (Poe or raids) to prevent issues. In fact, I'm considering using a 20 metres long network cable to get a direct connection to the router if I ever play this again.

Microsoft generally does not allow developers to have games directly interact with Playstation or Nintendo versions of a game.

Hence why clans are via Bungie.net, it's the only way they can be cross-platform.

Square wanted to do FFIV on 360 and the One, and Microsoft wanted their platforms to be on their own servers.

Sony and Nintendo do not care if a game is cross-platform with other consoles.

So while Bungie.net is technically capable of having characters be cross platform.. it's not going to happen due to industry politics.

edit: Rock Band Blitz used Facebook solely to have cross platform leaderboards between 360 and PS3 as well.

Yeah I get no cross platform but our guardian data is saved on bungies side isn't it? Just load my guardian on the Xbox side.

Actually maybe we shoudlnt talk about this, I would end up just playing more often and I play enough.

Gordon

I think having the signature perk active when you get a weapon is a good idea, actually.

I've had to caution a lot of new players not to dismiss a gun outright when they first get it, try it out and feel like it's shit. "You've got to level it up first. To the signature perk at least before you make your decision." I always tell them. Then they make a noise that's somewhere between a sigh and a groan because they don't want to grind up a gun they currently dislike just to find out they might like it later.

And yeah, I totally get that.
Yeah guns that come already exotic-ey are nice because there's no suppression of your excitement to try it out. Guns like Icebreaker are more fun out-of-the-box. Guns like Thorn or Pocket Infinity really make the grind feel a lot more omnipresent.

Deku Tree

Yeah I get no cross platform but our guardian data is saved on bungies side isn't it? Just load my guardian on the Xbox side.

Actually maybe we shoudlnt talk about this, I would end up just playing more often and I play enough.

That's the point. Microsoft says NO WAY you can't do that.

FyreWulff

Microsoft would consider that as cross-platform interaction.

In theory, they could make a Destiny that was cross play between PS3/4, PC, and Wii U, but Xbox players would always be stuck on it's own universe.

JTripper

Perfect. Should we get a list going? I've never attempted a Flawless before. I'm guessing it's done on Crota these days?

I've heard Crota is much quicker and if one of us dies later in the raid, it won't take as long to get to that point again, since Vault has longer sections.

Deku Tree

Is that up to Microsoft? You can load your GTAV online character from the 360 to PS4.

I don't know anything about that. Can you load your GTAV online character from the X1 to PS4?

Microsoft would consider that as cross-platform interaction.

In theory, they could make a Destiny that was cross play between PS3/4, PC, and Wii U, but Xbox players would always be stuck on it's own universe.

So why does it work in GTAV as I was just told by Kyoufu above?

FyreWulff

Is that up to Microsoft? You can load your GTAV online character from the 360 to PS4.

Rockstar gets the usual Rockstar exemption because of the money they bring in.

Yes, it's unfair to other developers.

That's the industry for you. Rockstar basically gets to do whatever the fuck they want.

Recall

2 hours of waiting to play for the first time. I'm not sure what to expect since it's seemingly a polarising game. I know I shoot things and that I need to grind but none of that sounds too bad. C'mon servers!

2 hours of waiting to play for the first time. I'm not sure what to expect since it's seemingly a polarising game. I know I shoot things and that I need to grind but none of that sounds too bad. C'mon servers!

Welcome to the game! It should be up soon haha

Edit: seems like it's back on now

MrDaravon

Also there are logistic problems with there being PS4 exclusive gear; if you move over do you lose that gear? Does it go into the vault? What if your Vault is full of you have the weapon actively equipped etc. None of these are unsolvable problem, but combined with MS generally not wanting to play ball this isn't gonna happen.

List of people who want Flawless Raider (in order of posts):

1. TheAquaticApe
  2. Kyoufu
  3. Slammin_Hammon
  4. Owensboro
  5. Epyon MX
  6. PuMa
  7. JTrippa

Possible sherpas?
  • Drizzay
  • mehrmantrout

I'm in for any night.

DjRalford

Can someone fill me in on changes, I haven't had time to play since a couple of months after the first expansion, I've played a bit today to get to 32 light and noticed more random events etc, reef is nice in the new expansion.

What's the main changes in the last few months and what ones are coming in TTK

so how many Dgaffers are here at gamescom? maybe a dgaf meetup? I'm here until sunday.

not sure if this has already been mentioned or if it is already known, but the stormcaller also gets an enhanced radar when he uses an ability.
As in the radar is split into twice as many sections as usual.

3 of us will be there again tomorrow.

We can definitely meet up. I don't know if Lima and GlamFM are coming again.

Do you have a local contact number?

nOoblet16

The Voidwalker isn't crap, it's just outclassed. Sunsingers have much better grenades(yes, this is very important for competitve play) due to Touch of Flame and Viking Funeral and much greater defensive capabilities with Flame Shield and Radiant Skin. Also, nobody uses self res in sweaties, ignoring the fact that you're depriving your team of valuable points they would have gotten from reviving you, radiant skin is much more valued since it makes you even more of a defensive tank when you pop your super and the best warlock players use it to deal with Bladedancers.

Voidwalkers having blink doesn't help since the Bladedancer is the superior blinking subclass due to having higher agility, with again, a superior grenade(arcbolt), superior super which can't be easily blinked through like Nova Bomb can and better class perks like quickdraw, which is an actual game changer in competitive PvP.

Everything that Voidwalker can do other classes can do better, you can get away with it in Trials and normal PvP but you'll just be heavily gimping yourself if you decide to use it against the best players. Of course, there's some very good players who can make it work, but they can make anything work, and even they would perform better if they switched to Sunsinger.
You're mistaken that's all I'll say. Not going to bother arguing.

Perfect. Should we get a list going? I've never attempted a Flawless before. I'm guessing it's done on Crota these days?

I've heard Crota is much quicker and if one of us dies later in the raid, it won't take as long to get to that point again, since Vault has longer sections.

You do it on Crota nm, takes 30 minutes max, unless everyone can get to the top of the tower to despawn then it takes about 15-20

If Drizzay can't do it I can solo the abyss and sword

Edit saw your post I can help out any night during the week between 6-11pm GMT or anytime weekends

Gordon

26000 (due to RAM limitations of last gen)
That's only because Bungie feels it's necessary to display every glimmer you have on-screen at the same time every time you hit pause. lol

Gotta love how we all get shittier products because billionaires decided to have a silicon arms race. Activision should get into console manufacture. That would be great.
*looks out window, contemplates going outside*

List of people who want Flawless Raider (in order of posts):

1. TheAquaticApe
  2. Kyoufu
  3. Slammin_Hammon
  4. Owensboro
  5. Epyon MX
  6. PuMa
  7. JTrippa

Possible sherpas?
  • Drizzay
  • mehrmantrout

I'm in for any night.

Oh nice! Thanks for putting this together. This Sunday 8/6 anytime after 10am should be good for me.

Deku Tree

Also there are logistic problems with there being PS4 exclusive gear; if you move over do you lose that gear? Does it go into the vault? What if your Vault is full of you have the weapon actively equipped etc. None of these are unsolvable problem, but combined with MS generally not wanting to play ball this isn't gonna happen.

That particular issue is not a problem at all. The PS4 exclusive gear would just be darkened and unequippable while you are playing on Xbox.

If you ever log into your account on someones PS4 who has one of the CE editions then you gain access to the fancy Ghost and it can go into your inventory. But if you load up Destiny without the CE then it gets darkened and becomes unequippable.

Ophelion

That's just being lazy. With bounties it take no time at all.

I agree, but there's something to be said for the instant satisfaction of being able to understand from moment one why a weapon is so rare and why it was worth it to get your hands on it. You get the gun, you equip it, you pop off a few shots and immediately go, "Oh, yeah this is the best." That kind of feedback is important to a lot of people from my observations. Negative initial impressions can color people's opinions of stuff even after they level it up and find that it's good after all. And, presumably, Bungie want people to fall in love with their guns so they can cruelly nerf them later. I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying that human nature in many cases dictates that this will create a better sense of positive feedback.

From the IGN DeeJ interview from earlier today:

If you’re Light level 34 now, you will be level 34 when The Taken King drops. If you’re below level 20, you’ll be boosted “to the appropriate level” (20?) for free.
Light, while no longer contributing to level, is still a trustworthy indicator of your power. Missions will have a notice to the effect of “Recommended Light” which will ensure that it will be doable from your current Light amount. Higher quality gear will increase your light, which will increase how much damage you can take and deal.

I agree, but there's something to be said for the instant satisfaction of being able to understand from moment one why a weapon is so rare and why it was worth it to get your hands on it. You get the gun, you equip it, you pop off a few shots and immediately go, "Oh, yeah this is the best." That kind of feedback is important to a lot of people from my observations. Negative initial impressions can color people's opinions of stuff even after they level it up and find that it's good after all. And, presumably, Bungie want people to fall in love with their guns so they can cruelly nerf them later. I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying that human nature in many cases dictates that this will create a better sense of positive feedback.
Yeah I understand.

LTWood12

Luke I recommended the one without the wifi adapter built in as an early set I bought with that feature built in kinda overheated.

They may be better now though.

I was under the assumption you already had another router or extender laying around, too. I'm a nerdgeekdork and assume everyone else is as well sometimes.

Tl:dr what you linked to should work :)
But there's a newer model $13 cheaper bro

Thanks Colonel and all the others for helping me out. Got it set up and everything works great! Can't believe I've gone this long without it.

Edit: Top! Vita Triple Wrecked!

Ec5Ug-.gif

Top Bottom