• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

MrDaravon

God only 3 matches in and the PvP part of the Thorn bounty is making more rage more than anything else in this game has since launch. I HATE the PvP in this game, and the fact that I'm forced to do it, as well as in a very specific way, to get a gun for PvE is still incredibly goddamn fucking stupid. Praying there isn't any stupid shit like this in TK, but there probably will be.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sorry to the guys who wanted to run Trials this morning. I fell asleep at the orbit screen and woke up to being disconnected in my chair lol. As for now, I'm willing to run a casual Trials (or competitive) or PoE 34 or 35. PSN: renewman1

God only 3 matches in and the PvP part of the Thorn bounty is making more rage more than anything else in this game has since launch. I HATE the PvP in this game, and the fact that I'm forced to do it, as well as in a very specific way, to get a gun for PvE is still incredibly goddamn fucking stupid. Praying there isn't any stupid shit like this in TK, but there probably will be.

Thorne is a PVP gun, makes sense

Deku Tree

What happened to the Neogaf Destiny clan?

It used to be a massive main GAF destiny clan. Now It is full. It looks mostly inactive. And I don't believe anyone is currently actively performing admin duties. So if you apply to enter it will probably be ignored. Same seems to be the case for the sub clans.

Because of frequent questions like this I've been saying that people should add footnotes explaining all that to people who look at the clan list but Hasn't happened yet.

considering Xur will probably be selling Hawkmoon / Monte Carlo / 4th Horseman in the weeks after TTK, i think so

edit: practicing for a deathless crota run and died in the abyss lol

Plz tell me what Xur will be selling next weekend.

Mupod

Cool, those boots from the PoE 32 token just squeaked me into 33.

Solar burn on that end boss, Sunsinger be like

Q7ODzTH.png

The real problem with no matchmaking is that fucking idiot strangers have the power to boot you from the fireteam.

I have a full time job and a 6-month old and don't have time to waste an hour doing PoE just to get booted at the end for no reason. This shit is Bungie's fault. I'm out.

edit: "that's why you should play with GAF" doesn't apply here because I'm on Xbox.
There's an Xbox signup list and clan/bungie.net linked in the first post of the OT (quote OT to reveal).

Finding games right here in the OT for Xbox is a lot harder though, just too many ps4 posts.

Silvard

So anyone up for doing Salvage? I would like the get the trophy out of the way and then I'd only be missing the ghosts for Guardian Lord.

Disregard that, I just realized it's super easy to get, I thought you had to fully salvage.

PS. Sorry Reign, I had to take a phone call and it was a lot longer than I anticipated.

MrDaravon

Thorne is a PVP gun, makes sense

Sure, but you can use it in PvE. On the flip-side I'm sure there are people who mainly only care about Crucible and are not happy about having to do Raids for certain gear etc. I still feel very strongly that them merging all of your character stuff between PvE and PvP was a poor decision; for example the first Auto Rifle nerf was to address it being OP in PvP which I didn't give a shit about, but I'm penalized in PvE now because of something they did to address a PvP issue? Dumb.

Edit: Holy shit I finally got one of the new maps I didn't have yet, praise rngesus

sikkinixx

You can't cross over characters between Xbox and Playstation systems, but your PS4 characters will still be there as long as you just sold your game and didn't actually delete your characters. All of your character data is saved on Bungie's servers, linked through your PSN profile. You don't need your original game copy.

What I figured. Le sigh. All I have is a level 26 Titan on PS4. Probably a silly thing to do anyway. $40 for TK on Xbone or $80+ for the full PS4 version (Canadian dollar sucks)

Speaking about clans, Drizzay could you maybe add that one clan post from the previous thread? I think the Sons of Mithras can be seen as a GAF clan now :p

Another 4 people to Mercury today, lots of fun. Thanks to blazeuk, Ikkarus, WheelHoss and Gala for joining Tears and me. Glad Gala got his first Mercury visit, just beautiful how he got overwhelmed by the place ;)

I've gotten 12 or so Elder Ciphers, at this point I am aborting them as soon as I get them as I have 2 of all of the new exotic weapons earned in the bounty. I only need/want the Wolve's Leash II drop from Skolas as I have all the elemental primaries as well with the exception of the scout rifle. Trying/hoping to get it to drop is turning into a real struggle especially during the lightswitch weeks.

Well, it's only my second Elder Cipher. Don't play PoE enough to really care about getting the elemental primaries. I certainly don't need them. Just want to try out Lord of Wolves. See what the fuss is about.

Well, it's only my second Elder Cipher. Don't play PoE enough to really care about getting the elemental primaries. I certainly don't need them. Just want to try out Lord of Wolves. See what the fuss is about.

LoW is stupid fun and they are buffing up the recovery perk in TTK, so I can see it as a support weapon. :p

Mupod

Sure, but you can use it in PvE. On the flip-side I'm sure there are people who mainly only care about Crucible and are not happy about having to do Raids for certain gear etc. I still feel very strongly that them merging all of your character stuff between PvE and PvP was a poor decision; for example the first Auto Rifle nerf was to address it being OP in PvP which I didn't give a shit about, but I'm penalized in PvE now because of something they did to address a PvP issue? Dumb.

Edit: Holy shit I finally got one of the new maps I didn't have yet, praise rngesus

I totally get where you're coming from but for some reason I really like it when games weight PVE and PVP similarly, provided I actually enjoy both activities. When the items are useful for both it just makes the loot feel more, I dunno, tangible I guess is the word. Vanilla WoW on a PVP server is my best example, before the game started segregating both PVE/PVP and the players themselves. Like, when that warrior got his hands on an Ashkandi or something, the whole server shat its collective pants. When it works, it's great.

On the other hand PVP in Marvel Heroes is the most irrelevant stupid nonsense and I'm glad they don't force you to do it. I think Warframe put in a versus mode at some point too and I could not even come close to giving a shit.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The extra 20 dollars of the CE has the class items (with xp gain) and emotes right? Do you guys think it's worth it for paying to shorten the leveling experience? Does the CE (digital) have any extra goodies?

Klyka

Banned
Again, looking for 2 lvl 34 people to do PoE 34 with.

I'd really like to get this etheric light to finally get lvl 34 myself.

MrDaravon

I totally get where you're coming from but for some reason I really like it when games weight PVE and PVP similarly, provided I actually enjoy both activities. When the items are useful for both it just makes the loot feel more, I dunno, tangible I guess is the word. Vanilla WoW on a PVP server is my best example, before the game started segregating both PVE/PVP and the players themselves. Like, when that warrior got his hands on an Ashkandi or something, the whole server shat its collective pants. When it works, it's great.

On the other hand PVP in Marvel Heroes is the most irrelevant stupid nonsense and I'm glad they don't force you to do it. I think Warframe put in a versus mode at some point too and I could not even come close to giving a shit.

Yeah, in theory it's great if the two are combined, but I feel like executing on it perfectly is practically impossible. At the very least if you're going to do shit that is much more skill-intensive like PvP make it just complete X number of matches or kills. Stuff like the Thorn bounty where you lose progress when you die is why you see so many people here and on reddit etc that never ever do it. Like I'm okay at the PvP in Destiny but all this is doing is super stressing me out, and one bad game is wiping out 2-3 games worth of progress. Basically if you're going to tie stuff behind a PvP wall, make it manageable. Like right now I am in a Crucible game where we are getting so wrecked so badly I have already lost two games worth of progress on this bounty and I haven't even been able to make it to Special Ammo ONCE. It's ridiculous, and just piles on the frustration that I shouldn't have to begin with.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, in theory it's great if the two are combined, but I feel like executing on it perfectly is practically impossible. At the very least if you're going to do shit that is much more skill-intensive like PvP make it just complete X number of matches or kills. Stuff like the Thorn bounty where you lose progress when you die is why you see so many people here and on reddit etc that never ever do it. Like I'm okay at the PvP in Destiny but all this is doing is super stressing me out, and one bad game is wiping out 2-3 games worth of progress. Basically if you're going to tie stuff behind a PvP wall, make it manageable.

You only need a 0.4 kdr for Thorn as far as I am aware.
Get a void primary and then you should be able to do it easily.
Get a group of 6 together and go into rumble then have them all run up to you and you kill them till you get the bounty.

Many ways to do it man :)

MrDaravon

You only need a 0.4 kdr for Thorn as far as I am aware.
Get a void primary and then you should be able to do it easily.
Get a group of 6 together and go into rumble then have them all run up to you and you kill them till you get the bounty.

Many ways to do it man :)

You can only run 3 people in a party into Rumble, otherwise everyone wouldn't complain about the Rumble Wins Grimoire card (which is ridiculous and is single-handedly why I'm not even trying for max Grimoire). Just sick of having dudes with max Grimoire score teabag me in Crucible because I am using a weapon I don't want to use, which is happening as I type this lol.

Interesting tidbits in this article someone linked on the gaming side. http://www.vg247.com/2015/08/07/destiny-the-taken-king-still-includes-light-levels/

As of The Taken King and update 2.0, your Light level will be calculated based on your total attack and defence statistics rather than the combined total Light attributes of your armour. Some missions will have recommended Light levels, to indicate whether the gear you’re wearing is up to the task.

This might already be known to some but it was news to me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You can only run 3 people in a party into Rumble, otherwise everyone wouldn't complain about the Rumble Wins Grimoire card (which is ridiculous and is single-handedly why I'm not even trying for max Grimoire). Just sick of having dudes with max Grimoire score teabag me in Crucible because I am using a weapon I don't want to use, which is happening as I type this lol.

You can run FFA with a group :) I helped a friend get his that way. Easy enough for it work, just make sure you dont end up killing him.

I was lucky with mine, had Jewel with Void, shotgun with void and rocket with void, all the day before i got that PvP part. So only took a few games. Main void dmg weapon really helps a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, I'm looking to get back into Destiny. I played on 360 for the first few months after release and put it down, recently borrowed it from a cousin for PS4 and started building up a Hunter. Thinking about picking up the Taken King LE to have a good chunk of content to munch through over next year (never played any of the expansions) but..

I fear that the endgame is way too Raid-centric from what I've been reading and with my work over the course of the next year I know I won't have time to both co-ordinate and run raids. The time I have to game isn't usually scheduled or structured and I usually just play when I feel like it, but I'd still like to feel like I'm making progress. You guys think I'm SOL or it might be worth it?

todd360

So, I'm looking to get back into Destiny. I played on 360 for the first few months after release and put it down, recently borrowed it from a cousin for PS4 and started building up a Hunter. Thinking about picking up the Taken King LE to have a good chunk of content to munch through over next year (never played any of the expansions) but..

I fear that the endgame is way too Raid-centric from what I've been reading and with my work over the course of the next year I know I won't have time to both co-ordinate and run raids. The time I have to game isn't usually scheduled or structured and I usually just play when I feel like it, but I'd still like to feel like I'm making progress. You guys think I'm SOL or it might be worth it?

Step 1: Post that you would like to play raid

Step 2: 5 people say sure why not

Step 3: ?

Step 4: Smart loot profit

I'd say it should be worth it. There are now PvP endgame activities. There's PoE which should be fun once you are overleveled. The path to max level is no longer tied behind running the raid every week so you don't have to worry about that, but if you ever want to raid it's easy enough to find a group here. You don't need to schedule a group to run every reset.

So can someone step me into the world of PoE 35 lager tonight at around 12 am EST?

Not sure my schedule tonight, but I'll be happy to do another run if I'm available and you still need some Skolas sherpa'ing then.

Speaking about clans, Drizzay could you maybe add that one clan post from the previous thread?

Sure, finalizing the clan list can be my next project. I saved all the raw text info in a Word document so I wouldn't have to update all the links for a new thread. I'll post it again in this OT and update the OP link. Then people can request changes until the end of this thread.

Because of frequent questions like this I've been saying that people should add footnotes explaining all that to people who look at the clan list but Hasn't happened yet. .

Yes, "people" should add footnotes. What are we paying these people for anyway? Kappa

I can't think of a single time someone has asked about clans after having already read the OP list, as opposed to us directing them to it. I'll probably take the full clans out of the list anyway, I'd rather feature active clans with active members in charge.

Namikaze1

Shit. Was thinking of setting up a hard mode raid run later on in the evening but forgot it's Sunday and it's the season finale of True Detective season 2.

MrDaravon

You can run FFA with a group :) I helped a friend get his that way. Easy enough for it work, just make sure you dont end up killing him.

I thought you could only go in with a party of 3 max for Rumble?

Do it, you're basically in my boat; I played on 360 for about 4-5 weeks at launch then stopped. Moved over to PS4 this gen and started playing again on here about 5-6 weeks ago. It's totally worth it, it's why I haven't been in the FGW thread in a while lol.

Like you I had never done any Raid stuff and was worried about it, but everyone on DestinyGAF is super nice, so 2 weeks ago tops I posted asking to see if anyone wanted to show me a Raid; now after two weeks I've done both Raids on both difficulties multiple times. There is almost always a group going, and there's almost always one new person but everyone is always very nice in showing them the ropes, and honestly with a full group and with 4-5 people knowing what they're doing it's real easy. You can get pick up games whenever and once you've done the Raids a few times it's easy, and you're usually looking at 45-60 minutes max. And even if you don't hardcore Raid or whatever you can still hit the level cap etc. You'll be missing out on some weapons/gear but you can get those over time, and with the expansion coming all of that gear may wind up not mattering that much anyway (we're not sure yet).

tl;dr - do it

It's tough to find people to raid with I still haven't gotten to raid and I have had the game since day one. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have friends to play with.

I can't even find anyone to do nightfall with because bungie refuses to add matchmaking so I guess I'm going to try it solo.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Shit. Was thinking of setting up a hard mode raid run later on in the evening but forgot it's Sunday and it's the season finale of True Detective season 2.

Worst part is vacation is over and soon needing to get to bed and up for work in a few hours D: Bah i need a week more. And another.
And another.
I thought you could only go in with a party of 3 max for Rumble?

Possibly, me and a friend alone did it, just let him go hide and i made my way to him as he killed me.
Its probably faster to do it normally if you are good in PvP and have the Void weapons for it, if not its a pain.

Top Bottom