• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Skele7on

Banned
So for people who don't Flawless first time every week, how many cards would you say you play through? How many did you guys do, EJ/Ikkarus/Tiro?

Not necessarily completed cards, obv

Depends how much I want that RNG roll. Most of the time if the rare occasion I get screwed in trials

I just get the 8 wins and move on, the etheric light/ random crap guns you get (occasionally an exotic) isn't worth the stress.

So for people who don't Flawless first time every week, how many cards would you say you play through? How many did you guys do, EJ/Ikkarus/Tiro?

We got it on our second card. But it wasn't EJ or Ikkarus' first trip to Mercury this weekend and I think they normally get there in one go.

Depending on the match-ups 1 or 2 cards. I scrubbed it up real bad this morning so we had to go for a second card.

noomi

Good morning DGAF :) Another fresh week filled with reset, update and xur.

Bring it!

1 or 2 cards for me, sometimes it's on the first card. Sometimes...I don't get it either. Many decicing factors for me... what map, my team, how tired am i...etc :p

Any good places to farm the sniper rifle grimoire kills?

The answer for any weapon kill farming will always be "WE'VE AWOKEN THE HIVE" :)

Nuszka

Morning gaf. Last night was a crazy one for me - came back from work tired from a long shift and was meant to go straight to bed, I said to myself just check dgaf for a sec , oh Noomi is streaming , checked the stream, said hallo , saw a free spot in vog run, politely asked my wife to leave the lounge area so I could play, 4 hours later and I got a flawless on crota , and the rest of the trophies needed to get the guardian Lord trophy which I completed about 2 am my time. Very happy about it.
Now I'm stuck in the car driving my wife around town from place to place as she enjoys her shopping spree:( apparently I had enough gaming time last night so I should do something nice to her. Still will try to sneak some destiny time later today...

ocean

Banned
Any good places to farm the sniper rifle grimoire kills?
Can't think of a spot you can camp. Just run strikes with your Ice Breaker as a primary :p you'll rack up marks, rep, and legendary drops along the way.

Or wake the hive with an ammo perk laden sniper (surplus, double down, clown cartridge etc).

Cade

I just get the 8 wins and move on, the etheric light/ random crap guns you get (occasionally an exotic) isn't worth the stress.
Yeah, I get pretty stressed.
We got it on our second card. But it wasn't EJ or Ikkarus' first trip to Mercury this weekend and I think they normally get there in one go.
Damn, people on GAF are too good at this.
Depending on the match-ups 1 or 2 cards. I scrubbed it up real bad this morning so we had to go for a second card.
Not bad!
1 or 2 cards for me, sometimes it's on the first card. Sometimes...I don't get it either. Many decicing factors for me... what map, my team, how tired am i...etc :p
Looks like a lot of 1-card guys here. Hopefully this week's map is one I've ever played before.

ocean

Banned
Yeah, I get pretty stressed.

Damn, people on GAF are too good at this.

Not bad!

Looks like a lot of 1-card guys here. Hopefully this week's map is one I've ever played before.
The community here has sort of self organized into creating groups where stronger players help weaker ones, flattening out the difficulty. Two strong players can probably take a completely average guy in one card most of the time if you had all the boons.

Klyka

Banned
I don't get how you guys always so effortlessly go to Mercury.
I've never done trials but I imagine it as like THE most min/max try hard ultra competitive thing in the whole game where basically just the best of the best PvP players go in.

Is this a totally wrong interpretation?

Cause I would love to one day see Mercury.

noomi

Morning gaf. Last night was a crazy one for me - came back from work tired from a long shift and was meant to go straight to bed, I said to myself just check dgaf for a sec , oh Noomi is streaming , checked the stream, said hallo , saw a free spot in vog run, politely asked my wife to leave the lounge area so I could play, 4 hours later and I got a flawless on crota , and the rest of the trophies needed to get the guardian Lord trophy which I completed about 2 am my time. Very happy about it.
Now I'm stuck in the car driving my wife around town from place to place as she enjoys her shopping spree:( apparently I had enough gaming time last night so I should do something nice to her. Still will try to sneak some destiny time later today...

Hah, you like to live dangerously. Hope your wife isn't too mad about last night :p

Worth it though! haha. Down for reset nightfalls tomorrow morning?

They should tell us some day how many hundreds of millions of hive we've awoken since launch :p

I would be afraid of this number lol, maybe once TTK comes out we will have a new area to do this on :D

I've never done trials but I imagine it as like THE most min/max try hard ultra competitive thing in the whole game where basically just the best of the best PvP players go in.

You're right. It does take a LOT of skill to get there, and luck too. You can't predict when you will run into that MLG Pro-Style team that will just be better than your team.

I've gotten there once, with all boons used and a few incredible last minute clutch wins.

Nuszka

Hah, you like to live dangerously. Hope your wife isn't too mad about last night :p

Worth it though! haha. Down for reset nightfalls tomorrow morning?

Haha, talking about living dangerously I actually said to her yesterday morning that she needs to organise herself a lift to the gym so I can play 3x nf lol

I have a terrible off-day in Trials can't even touch 2.0 K/D today. Thanks to Agent_Tiro and Inapplicable for joining Ikkarus and me on two Mercury runs.

Cade

The community here has sort of self organized into creating groups where stronger players help weaker ones, flattening out the difficulty. Two strong players can probably take a completely average guy in one card most of the time if you had all the boons.

Yeah, I guess I need to get into playing more with GAF, but I've got a couple friends who I think we've all kind of agreed upon getting to Mercury first with each other. Dunno if it'll ever pan out, though.

---

If you guys end up getting a HM Crota group, how hard would it be for me if I've only ever done the Abyss part and the actual Crota fight (on normal)?

Deku Tree

so it would appear that Exotics are staying in TTK (with upgrade paths)

So it was directly said that they'd not, which was a mistake which was then corrected.
I have confirmed with multiple people and this as of the moment appears to be the tru7h
but as ever things are subject to change ect ect ect.

Thanks! Any of your sources work at Bungie? Or are they the usual "people who know people"?

Waldini

Damn. I've had the WORST (yes, again) Trials experience ever the last couple of days.

4-0 ahead. You know what? ... how about some lag!? Lose, 5-4.
Heavy Ammo round. You know what? ... how about a rocket exploding in your face? Why? Well, /reasons.
Capture the Zone. You know what? ... how about an unkillable enemy on the Zone?
Heavy Ammo round. You know what? ... how about some unobtainable ammo?
New Round. You know what? ... Lets have your screen stay black so your enemies can advance on you?
Shooting an enemy. You know what? ... Let's just TELEPORT him right into your face.

... and more. Didn't go Flawless this Trials. The lag and amount of random bullshit happening really crushed the fun I usually have. I'm playing ToO to help others. For fun. But these red/orange bar players ... man.

ocean

Banned

You need 7 wins with no more than one loss. That's a pretty unforgiving outlook. You're right in thinking Trials features, for the most part, max level guardians typically decked in top tier PvP gear. Meaning an Exotic Hand Cannon or maybe a perfect rolled Pulse Rifle like Messenger or Hopscotch Pilgrim. Invariably, a well rolled shotgun (high impact type, aggressive/shot package) or sniper (Benevolence with Hidden Hand or an old LDR, or a near equivalent). Of course high velocity rockets with proximity detonation.

So basically everyone you meet will have their try hard pants on. The things about Trials is that the way it's designed makes skill really, really make an enormous difference. Since Guardians are rocking basically identical gear throughout, bullshit weapons aren't a differentiator. Skill is. And luckily, most people don't have it.

Meaning, as an average player facing average teams, you should expect to win half your matches. But a single above average player will tip the scales in your favor. There's a luck component of course, because there's always the chance you run into Unstable or Zoba and his Devil buddies, in which case you're basically screwed. But this won't happen thaaat often and it's what you have your boons for.

If you don't have a strong player or two to lean on, you should still try Trials as a learning experience. Since there's no respawning, the stakes for sloppy play are far higher, making it a tense mode full of thrills. I'd just suggest you go in with reasonable expectations. If you're with a team and none of you have ever gone Flawless, maybe aim for 5 wins for the armor piece. It'll give you an attainable goal you can reach in a passage or two, lowering the frustration. And with practice, you can later set higher goals as you start to get better.

One tip: maps tend to develop a meta of sorts in Trials. For any given map, there's usually 2ish possible ways the encounter will play out. Since maps are already repeating, all the maps are known and really, most of your kills/deaths will take place in roughly the same positions in the map.

If you're new, try looking at a streamer play a map for a while. Not necessarily so you can try to replicate their strats, because top players kinda do their own thing, but it's a way to learn the map before entering the fray. You may have played this map a billion times in Control, but watching a stream for 30m will show you how it plays in Trials. As in, you'll see where people camp to snipe, where you're at risk of shotgun rush, best places for grenade throws etc.

But most importantly, play with guys you. Can have fun with win or lose. If you find some try hard Randoms on LFG or whatever who are all salty and bitching and complaining over mistakes it'll be a frustrating experience when you lose.

With some cool guys, if you can laugh off a loss and try to keep going for a lower tier reward or just restart and try again for that flawless while having fun, you'll see why we've learned to love that mode.

Klyka

Banned
You need 7 wins with no more than one loss. That's a pretty unforgiving outlook. You're right in thinking Trials features, for the most part, max level guardians typically decked in top tier PvP gear. Meaning an Exotic Hand Cannon or maybe a perfect rolled Pulse Rifle like Messenger or Hopscotch Pilgrim. Invariably, a well rolled shotgun (high impact type, aggressive/shot package) or sniper (Benevolence with Hidden Hand or an old LDR, or a near equivalent). Of course high velocity rockets with proximity detonation.

So basically everyone you meet will have their try hard pants on. The things about Trials is that the way it's designed makes skill really, really make an enormous difference. Since Guardians are rocking basically identical gear throughout, bullshit weapons aren't a differentiator. Skill is. And luckily, most people don't have it.

Meaning, as an average player facing average teams, you should expect to win half your matches. But a single above average player will tip the scales in your favor. There's a luck component of course, because there's always the chance you run into Unstable or Zoba and his Devil buddies, in which case you're basically screwed. But this won't happen thaaat often and it's what you have your boons for.

If you don't have a strong player or two to lean on, you should still try Trials as a learning experience. Since there's no respawning, the stakes for sloppy play are far higher, making it a tense mode full of thrills. I'd just suggest you go in with reasonable expectations. If you're with a team and none of you have ever gone Flawless, maybe aim for 5 wins for the armor piece. It'll give you an attainable goal you can reach in a passage or two, lowering the frustration. And with practice, you can later set higher goals as you start to get better.

One tip: maps tend to develop a meta of sorts in Trials. For any given map, there's usually 2ish possible ways the encounter will play out. Since maps are already repeating, all the maps are known and really, most of your kills/deaths will take place in roughly the same positions in the map.

If you're new, try looking at a streamer play a map for a while. Not necessarily so you can try to replicate their strats, because top players kinda do their own thing, but it's a way to learn the map before entering the fray. You may have played this map a billion times in Control, but watching a stream for 30m will show you how it plays in Trials. As in, you'll see where people camp to snipe, where you're at risk of shotgun rush, best places for grenade throws etc.

But most importantly, play with guys you. Can have fun with win or lose. If you find some try hard Randoms on LFG or whatever who are all salty and bitching and complaining over mistakes it'll be a frustrating experience when you lose.

With some cool guys, if you can laugh off a loss and try to keep going for a lower tier reward or just restart and try again for that flawless while having fun, you'll see why we've learned to love that mode.

thanks for the answer mate!

Maybe I I one day finally get that etheric light to get to 34, I'll ask for some nice GAF guys to show me what trials are all about :)

ocean

Banned
thanks for the answer mate!

Maybe I I one day finally get that etheric light to get to 34, I'll ask for some nice GAF guys to show me what trials are all about :)
What's your PSN? I can help you get Etheric in PoE in w few hours. No man left behind.

glaurung

I now have just once last thing to do to get the year one triumph completed - PoE 35.

And I can't even begin thinking who to ask for help with this one. *shudders

Rubenov

In my experience, seems like these days a lot of really good players have stopped playing trials, and plenty of first-timers, never-been to Mercury types are playing more.

Hi everyone.

Just been checking out the OP as I'm playing Destiny a little more now because of TTK hype.

I'm EU XBox One but was the only XBox member of the EU GAF2 clan a few weeks after launch!

Can anyone help me find out which is the best EU XBox clan that we have going?

I'm a casual raider but want to use the clan to make it easier to find raid and trials groups.

Thanks for any pointers.

Hi everyone.

Just been checking out the OP as I'm playing Destiny a little more now because of TTK hype.

I'm EU XBox One but was the only XBox member of the EU GAF2 clan a few weeks after launch!

Can anyone help me find out which is the best EU XBox clan that we have going?

I'm a casual raider but want to use the clan to make it easier to find raid and trials groups.

Thanks for any pointers.
I think the only active GAF Xbox clan is Bad to the Xbone? Check the Xbox sign up list hidden in the first post of the OT, it has a spreadsheet with gamer tags and a link to the clan.

Top Bottom