• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

I want to start a thread explaining what a "Skinner Box" actually is. Too many people using this term without any clue what it means beyond a glimpse at a Wikipedia article and a poorly conceived game journalist video. It might take me a few days but I want to provide these people with an academic explanation of what this concept is and how it could translate to video games.

But I'm not sure if that would really be appropriate in GAF, since it's not really gaming news. Unsure what to do. I once tried to do it with posts but was basically ignored by people who continued using the term completely removed from its proper context.

Any experienced GAFer or mod know whether this would fall within the parameters of what this board is intended for?

I would say don't make it its own thread. If you want to put together a well written post and stick it in here, that would be fine. Then whenever you need it, just link to it or quote from it.

Sort of keep it around like ammo. I did the same thing with that stupid fan rendition of that slide that everyone kept tossing around as the "better" version.

Trakan

Sort of keep it around like ammo. I did the same thing with that stupid fan rendition of that slide that everyone kept tossing around as the "better" version.

I really don't get why that made you so mad. He got like one thing wrong, and the original image was blurry as fuck. It's not like he deliberately mislead people to spread misinformation.

GutZ31

I really don't get why that made you so mad. He got like one thing wrong, and the original image was blurry as fuck. It's not like he deliberately mislead people to spread misinformation.

Welcome to NeoGAF
NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

Unfortunately, civil is rather scarce in a large portion of discussions.
You are now what you hate! You are the Crow!
the_crow_reboot-(1)_1315193211.jpg

I've never done Skolas, but does having no burn make it easier or harder?

I would say the encounter is typically longer, but you have more room for error.

With the burns, you could mess up at 10% remaining, and that was it, you were done.

Now, you can take things very slowly, and at your own pace, and get there when you are ready, and fix problems as they pop up.

ocean

Banned
I've never done Skolas, but does having no burn make it easier or harder?
Solar Burn was a lot easier because you could spam Gjallarhorn until he died and then just cap mines totally chilled out. But you had to be perfect since his splash damage could kill you quick. You'd spend 30m dead or waiting on synth then kill him in a lucky run in 40 seconds.

Arc Burn was tricky because you could use Snipers to burn him down to a fraction of his health, but everything in the room would one-shot you. Probably the hardest, most bullshit version of Skolas.

Void Burn was easy mode because your snipers could burn Skolas really hard and nothing in the room stealth Void damage so you were effectively buffed with no attending increase in risk.

The fight is now a lot longer but also more interesting. It's a fun, mechanically complex encounter which demands coordination and teamwork.

X-Frame

Skolas is my last requirement for the Triumph too. Happy to see this week is better than last.

Hopefully I can group up with Drizzay this week or weekend to kill that ugly bastard!

It wasn't the guy that made it, it was the people constantly correcting me with bad information.

Typically I would post that image with the disclaimer of how it was old and out dated and the numbers in such in such area could be a 6 or an 8 or whatever.

Then someone would come along with the "cleaner" version of the image and say that the number is definitely a 3, and 9 times out of 10, people went along with it because they had the cleaner image.

This would just perpetuate the misinformation that the gaming-side destiny threads were littered with.

Edit: And there are at the very least 9 indiscernible numbers on that original slide, so chances are he got more than 1 thing wrong.

Solar Burn was a lot easier because you could spam Gjallarhorn until he died and then just cap mines totally chilled out. But you had to be perfect since his splash damage could kill you quick. You'd spend 30m dead or waiting on synth then kill him in a lucky run in 40 seconds.

Arc Burn was tricky because you could use Snipers to burn him down to a fraction of his health, but everything in the room would one-shot you. Probably the hardest, most bullshit version of Skolas.

Void Burn was easy mode because your snipers could burn Skolas really hard and nothing in the room stealth Void damage so you were effectively buffed with no attending increase in risk.

The fight is now a lot longer but also more interesting. It's a fun, mechanically complex encounter which demands coordination and teamwork.
Void burn would be easy mode for me, but I don't have a good void sniper and Truth isn't leveled up :p

DarKshodaN

Can anybody help me to get the Armor Core on PoE 32? Bought this Game last week and kinda stuck now with my Level. I am a Level 32 Warlock.

I have no mic for my PS4, so this is maybe a Problem.

Razorskin

----- ------
I want to get back into this game but I find it hard forming groups on PS3 through the various LFG sites. Considering getting it on Xbox One but I won't be able to transfer over my character and would need to rebuy it.

noomi

That Xbox deal is still going in. They are replacing the TVs with different models as well as the Xbox. Doesn't have to be the Halo bundle.

Yeah I read about that, but I REALLY wanted that sammy tv, the other ones arent even smart tv's :/

I'm going to take my chances here and see if one of the ordered ones doesn't get picked up.

Either way, I'm in no rush to get an xbox, it was just a really good deal.

ocean

Banned
Void burn would be easy mode for me, but I don't have a good void sniper and Truth isn't leveled up :p
For the future:

Whenever the Iron Banner Sniper is on sale, try and get it. It was sold last time so who knows when it'll be back. But it's the only Sniper at 37 impact other than Black Hammer. One in each element = solid addition to any Guardian's loadout for burn activities.

ocean

Banned
People getting Horn today should rush to level it and take it out for a Solar Burn spin with the NF. And then imagine that without Small Arms nerfing the output. A pure Solar Burn encounter? It meeeelts.

Kyoufu

People getting Horn today should rush to level it and take it out for a Solar Burn spin with the NF. And then imagine that without Small Arms nerfing the output. A pure Solar Burn encounter? It meeeelts.

"Nerfing Gjallarhorn is bullshit!"

It's so OP even without solar burn.

Shito

If Bungie wants to play it nice to them, they will throw Val Ta'aurc with solar burn the last week before the nerfing patch. :)

Just was in the app and saw the triumph stuff. I'm at 8/10. Gotta do Crota HM and Skolas...I leave out of town on Saturday and have both today and tomorrow off. Making my checklist now:
-Nightfall
-Queen's Bounties
-Regular Bounties
-Weekly
-Daily
-Crucible
All that today with potential Raid tonight of either Vault HM or Crota HM or PoE HM

Tomorrow:
-Daily
-Regular Bounties
-HM raid and/or PoE HM that wasn't done.

I still need Flawless Raider and Raiding Party so above with clan suggestions or openings I'm willing to join.

Japanmanx3 is my PSN. I'm ready to get on at any point.
Updating my checklist:
-Crucible
-Vault HM
-Crota HM
-PoE HM

Will be on for a while so if anyone is willing to help or just needs a partner I'm game.

Top Bottom