• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

nOoblet16

How... How am I mocking him, exactly? People with shit connections shouldn't even be in a lobby where 90% have "green" connections. Give them a lobby of their own. Problem solved. Sure, I agree that it's not nice on my part to "shame" his name here.
Blame the game for putting him in there, he didn't choose to be put into your game.

But ... I am lagging for him too? Eh? What? Do you even know what you are talking about? He's a red-bar. Meaning his latency is shit. Sure, we might see him move on our screen ... but on his screen he might be miles away from where we see him. Giving him an advantage in PvP. "Ha! What a dumbass. Walking into walls. Is he stupid or something?" And then, after you've seen him hugging the wall he appears behind you and shotguns your ass.
Do you know how P2P works? if he is red barring for you it doesn't "necessarily" mean he's red barring for everyone .

What it means is that the connection between both of you is laggy. If he is teleporting all over the screen for you then that happens due to packet loss between the observant party and the party involved in question. Let's assume that it's due to his connection that is causing packet loss. What makes you think that the packet loss will only affect his movements for others but at the same time will have consistent movement for everyone else (including your own) on HIS game? Remember his connection to you and others is laggy meaning he cannot upload his movement properly nor can he download your movements properly.

It's not as simple as "this guy is teleporting so he has super powers...even though I might joke about it while actually playing."

Try doing this, try to join a friend's party who is in a completely different continent far away like australia or east asia (maybe have some of his other friends from that region in the party to make sure the host is from that region too). Play with him and you'll notice that when you lag yourself other people will teleport for you but the game will be completely fine for everyone else except when dealing with you who will be teleporting and skipping everyone from their POV. This is the nature of how P2P works, it's not the same as dedicated servers where everyone's connection is to one central server.

512KBps? Really? The minimum is set at 10MBps. Sure, it might be sarcasm on your part ... but every-single-time Iron Banner is around these laggers pop up from everywhere. I don't mind losing from someone who is better than me at PvP. But seeing a red-bar player taking a Titan Smash in the face and walk away from it? Or dodge a Blade-Dancer with his chin? Nah.
Minimum is 10Mbps? lol you are completely incorrect.
Games with online heavy functionality that are data hungry like Destiny, World of Warcraft only use up 100-200MB of data per hour (for less heavy games like COD it's around 20-40MB per hour) which is completely manageable on a 512kbps connection and as such increased speed won't do jack, perhaps try measuring how much data Destiny consumes per hour before claiming that 10mbps is the minimum requirement for gaming. ;)

For your info, I originally come from India where I gamed on a 512 kbps internet connection for YEARS and played on servers on singapore with 50-60ms of delay which is normal. Connection speed is NOT directly related to latency. Even now when I go and visit my parents I play Team Fortress 2 on a 2Mbps connection and the experience is no different for me than how it used to be...nor is it any different from how it is when I play here from UK on local servers. Because I am playing on servers based near my location. Proximity to server and the networking efficiency is what counts. If you have 50ms of lag to a server on a 10mbps connection it won't become any less even if you upgrade it to 100mbps.

There's a reason why red-bar players are nearly ALWAYS the "top" player in PvP. This happens in COD, Battlefield, Destiny and any other shooter. Why do you think people use a "lag" switch (in other words, create a RED-BAR connection) in Trials of Osiris? Just to make me lag, as you've stated? No. It's to create a big advantage in order to secure loot and win.
This is anecdotal stuff and there is no valid proof behind this reasoning I see lots red bar people do terrible all the time, there is no correlation here if there is then I'd like you to provide proof. A bit more about my experiences, which could be considered anecdotal as well were it not for the fact that I have experienced playing from the other side which I assume you never have (judging by how you think 10mbps is minimum for online games ). I never used to play console games in India because of matchmaking which would put me into western servers and hence give me a laggy connection, if a laggy connection indeed provided me with an advantage then I would never have stopped playing it....I would always do horrible. Also lag switching works different to the lag I am discussing about here as it's only one way which can only be achieved when done deliberately.

You will not understand it unless you have experienced it yourself, I have experienced it and as such I can tell you that your perception is incorrect. The very nature of my situation required me to experiment and learn about this to a level most people do not bother. But I can tell you this that laggy connection will not make things easy for you because it is difficult for you to shoot people who are teleporting everywhere and yes people do teleport everywhere even for the laggers.

maomaoIYP

Hey Destiny GAf, I could use some advice:

So, I'm only level 33, but I'm wondering if I should use my one Etheric Light, or just save it at this point.

Is it worth upgrading something that will be outclassed in a month?

Or is it better to use it now since it'll likely be a whole new mechanic to upgrade gear in The Taken King and Etheric Light will become just as useless as Radiant materials?

Get you only guy to 34. Immediately do a PoE34, get another piece. Repeat if all your guys are 33.

nowai

This. I like this idea a lot. Even if I somehow manage to get everything in the game, I'm not going to stop playing it Bungie.

I feel the same way, but a lot of people only play for the loot.

There have even been plenty of posts here like "I am never doing X again, there is nothing I need."

I have one friend who only PvPs during Iron Banner for the armor pieces. The shitty, ugly, worthless IB armor.

maomaoIYP

Hey guys I need 1 more for Trials. Anyone up for if? Casual run I've gone flawless like 10 times but a friend needs the gloves.

Is it still available?
PSN feetiemaomao

edit:
Will be soon, I am uk based, where are you.

Done Mercury twice this weekend, everything but Titan.....3 times last week...

My Titan does not like big maps...
I'm in Singapore, will get a yellow bar but it's no real problem.

E92 M3

Just making sure Bungie sees the weekly reminder that Skolas/35 PoE is a crap encounter with terrible rewards in the hopes that one day before 2017 it'll be fixed. Pls make the following changes:

- Rewards now = 2 etheric light, 1 weapon core, 1 armor core (seriously, I get 3x the etheric from 1 trials run in 45 min)
- Guaranteed random primary drop with elemental damage
- Chance at random PoE armor drop
- Trials-like passage checkpoint system so you can re-enter where you left off (fireteam members must also have passages with at least your checkpoint completed or further to join)
- Devouring debuff timer increased by 10 seconds
- Mines timer increased by 10 seconds
- Defender bubbles block psion blasts
- Pilot servitor round 5 boss health reduced by ~1/3
- Increase in exotic chances from the large PoE chest
- Add non-queen legendaries to PoE large chest

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

That sounds right. Pilot servitor needs health cut in half.

I hope so. I have some faith that they will. House of Wolves was already a large improvement upon TDB. I'm really excited to see what the new patrol activities are and the new public events you can trigger. I think these could be a fun new avenue for loot.

Me too - patrol should be very exciting if everything comes as promised.

X-Frame

Destiny is a slot machine. That's they effe t they're going for, the results screen is literally the slots.

True, but for example I just beat the Nightfall and I see on the bottom left "X-Frame found Helm of Saint-14".

Okay.

Where did I find it? It just arrived via space delivery service to my ship? There should have been an exotic engram that popped out when the Nightfall boss was defeated. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

I feel the same way, but a lot of people only play for the loot.

There have even been plenty of posts here like "I am never doing X again, there is nothing I need."

I have one friend who only PvPs during Iron Banner for the armor pieces. The shitty, ugly, worthless IB armor.

I think if they change the system they could change the "only for the loot" mentality too. I can't imagine just playing for the rewards. To each his/her own. RNG is basically a cruel digital slot machine. In my experience, people who play only for that aspect, tend to have a negative perception of the game. They also can't stop playing it.

Sure, there's a few things I still want, but not actively grinding for them each week has really made the game more fun for me. Also, the awesome community that is DGAF helps a lot too.

Namikaze1

It's a star wars reference.

Also the name of some band.

But most people associate it with Star Wars.

Edit: there's a gif in the op

geordiemp

How... How am I mocking him, exactly? People with shit connections shouldn't even be in a lobby where 90% have "green" connections. Give them a lobby of their own. Problem solved. Sure, I agree that it's not nice on my part to "shame" his name here.

But ... I am lagging for him too? Eh? What? Do you even know what you are talking about? He's a red-bar. Meaning his latency is shit. Sure, we might see him move on our screen ... but on his screen he might be miles away from where we see him. Giving him an advantage in PvP. "Ha! What a dumbass. Walking into walls. Is he stupid or something?" And then, after you've seen him hugging the wall he appears behind you and shotguns your ass. There's a reason why red-bar players are nearly ALWAYS the "top" player in PvP. This happens in COD, Battlefield, Destiny and any other shooter. Why do you think people use a "lag" switch (in other words, create a RED-BAR connection) in Trials of Osiris? Just to make me lag, as you've stated? No. It's to create a big advantage in order to secure loot and win.

I agree lag work sin your favour if yu running at
512KBps? Really? The minimum is set at 10MBps. Sure, it might be sarcasm on your part ... but every-single-time Iron Banner is around these laggers pop up from everywhere. I don't mind losing from someone who is better than me at PvP. But seeing a red-bar player taking a Titan Smash in the face and walk away from it? Or dodge a Blade-Dancer with his chin? Nah.

I agree lag works in your favour when running at people, especially with shotguns, as the lagger is much closer to you on his screen ...but its complex as it only works against players that dont move much.

I really think the only way to do match making is ping based, its not possible for both players when there is heavy lag.

geordiemp

Is it still available?
PSN feetiemaomao

edit:
I'm in Singapore, will get a yellow bar but it's no real problem.

For IB does not matter, but for trials if we so far apart it means someone is going to be lagging badly, or other team will be also as its connection based.

You need to find players in your half of the world for trials, otherwise it plays like iron banner...

PuMa

I actually don't like Star Wars, but know all of those characters.

*backs away slowly*

qn1vyz3LEiLAY.gif

Just making sure Bungie sees the weekly reminder that Skolas/35 PoE is a crap encounter with terrible rewards in the hopes that one day before 2017 it'll be fixed. Pls make the following changes:

- Rewards now = 2 etheric light, 1 weapon core, 1 armor core (seriously, I get 3x the etheric from 1 trials run in 45 min)
- Guaranteed random primary drop with elemental damage
- Chance at random PoE armor drop
- Trials-like passage checkpoint system so you can re-enter where you left off (fireteam members must also have passages with at least your checkpoint completed or further to join)
- Devouring debuff timer increased by 10 seconds
- Mines timer increased by 5 seconds
- Defender bubbles block psion blasts
- Pilot servitor round 5 boss health reduced by ~1/3
- Increase in exotic chances from the large PoE chest
- Add non-queen legendaries to PoE large chest

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Dude this weeks PoE isnt that bad. Theses changes woupd make it easy mode

Trakan

I don't like re-rolling at all. It's boring to do itself. It's required further boring farming in order to be able to keep re-rolling. And then the players who most likely (1) are the most persistent and do the most boring amount of farming for the longest times, get the most OP weapons and can kill you in PvP seconds faster than you can kill them and that makes a huge difference or (2) the players who get really lucky with re-rolls all of a sudden get the best perks that you don't have and then they have a big advantage against you... and then again you have to either have (1) or (2) happen in order to compete.

With the re-rolling system there will always be a ideal OP weapon and perk combination, and there will always be a "meta" that everyone uses. Bungie is planning to try to destroy the "Hand Cannon / crazy range Shotgun Meta" in a month or so and they claim their ultimate goal is to have lots of different weapon and perk combo possibilities for you to bring in to the Crucible and be competitive but IMO the re-rolling system means that ultimately Bungie's stated goal for the game will never actually be achieved.

It's OP perks/combinations that are the problem, not rerolling. It's not really fair if you get a godroll from RNG and can dominate either.

E92 M3

Not all nerds are created equal lol. I enjoy darker fantasy like A Song of Fire and Ice. Star Wars universe is just not something that speaks to me. I wish it was more like Halo with a grittier human element.

Just my opinion.

So, reset tomorrow >.>

PuMa

I didn't say it was hard. I said it's not worth it. It isn't.

You're definitely right. It's not worth it at all. If they were to increase the rewards, I don't think they should also debuff the encounter though. That would seriously be easy mode.

noomi

gaf... help me to be strong. I want to play other games, and I keep coming back here.

Destiny won't let me go, I have about a month to beat other games before TTK, what do gaf, WHAT DO?!

Namikaze1

gaf... help me to be strong. I want to play other games, and I keep coming back here.

Destiny won't let me go, I have about a month to beat other games before TTK, what do gaf, WHAT DO?!
Delete Destiny

Will help a bit. Can play other games when you go and re-download it.

phen0m24

Also, can someone please explain what Nerf Herders are? I don't get the reference, unfortunately.

Are you 10 years old? That's your only excuse.

It's from some silly cult movie.

Lol 27, but an immigrant!

Thanks Rodiard.

Don't worry. I don't get it either.

e92.... this made me sad :(

from star wars maaaan

Do you know who Princess Leia and Han Solo are?

It's a star wars reference.

Also the name of some band.

But most people associate it with Star Wars.

Edit: there's a gif in the op

I actually don't like Star Wars, but know all of those characters.

*backs away slowly*

damn dude

Good. Grief. People.

Here is the 6 second clip in all its glory. Edumacate yourselveses.

https://youtu.be/SSwyNN7ms00

Homeboyd

You're definitely right. It's not worth it at all. If they were to increase the rewards, I don't think they should also debuff the encounter though. That would seriously be easy mode.
Yeah I mean depending on where the mine spawns (right next to you or on the other side of the map), it just adds a level of unfunity to the already artificially more "difficult" encounter. Maybe 5 and 5 would be enough for mines/timers. But when you have 3 people that all have to cross the gauntlet of over-leveled adds to get to the other side of the map, to stand still on a point for a few seconds.. it's not a fun encounter or design choice, to me. Vs it spawning right next to you and voila, you're done with that phase.

I get that the mines add some "excitement" to the encounter, but when the boss isn't actually the boss as the adds are really the only problem in this fight, and they throw in lightswitch for some cheap kills, these otherwise ok obstacles (mines/devouring) just make the encounter less fun. How many times have you heard of people wiping simply because they couldn't get to the mines in time because they just got unlucky and the next mine spawned all the way on the other side of the map? I see it quite a bit (or did, when people still actually played this encounter).

I don't stay away from Skolas because it's too difficult.. even on lightswitch weeks (though that certainly doesn't help). I stay away because the rewards are some of the worst in the game. Nevermind the time commitment.

LiK

I come here all the time and still play other games. gather up some willpower man!

Give up on other games and embrace all that is Destiny! No, don't do that. Take a break and enjoy other stuff!

For IB does not matter, but for trials if we so far apart it means someone is going to be lagging badly, or other team will be also as its connection based.

You need to find players in your half of the world for trials, otherwise it plays like iron banner...

I'm UK based and usually play with maomao and someone from the U.S. and connections have never been a problem. I've had some of the laggiest matches imaginable playing against UK/EU teams

Namikaze1

This is what I do:

If digital, delete game and re-install it. Play other games while it re-installs. Delete once it fully installs. Repeat process till you have completed the other game.

If physical, get really really drunk and hide the disk. It worked for me. Still can't find my copy of Dragon's Dogma though.

noomi

I think part of the fear of leaving is when I return my pvp skill will go to shit again, I've worked so hard to become an average player haha

I finally completed my year 1 triumphs! It was touch and go there for a little while but we beat Skolas last night with just about a month to spare.

Need 1 more for Skolas on Xbox One right now. We are at the big guy, but our 3rd had to go. Come help us out if you're up for it! Message me @ theJwac if interested.

Hey, I would have totally helped but I was sleeping at that time. Did yall get him down?

phen0m24

Thanks - see that was easy!

:)

My pleasure

At least Drizzy didn't include "scruffy-looking"

Hey Team Bone anything going tonight? I've lost the will to IB. I just don't care. I would rather get gauntlets from Trials, but that relies on the kindness of Koro Tae and Ned. Hehe he I am abysmal

Top of page fake edit Confession:

I have never reached Rank 4 with Eris. None of my characters have a Sunsetting shader. I really like the shader but don't care. :)

Top Bottom