• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Lee

"We were getting new green weapons that out-powered our best raid gear from Year One, even after the first mission."

"I think it’s a smart move that a light value is inherent to all your gear now, even starting at level 1. Like with leveling, it offers a consistent and clear path to improvement, and it also gives Bungie a clear way to tell people what activities they should tackle."

"It’s great to see that light value number attached to your character. It’s a direct representation of your power and a good barometer to gauge the tasks and missions you can tackle with your friends."

Does this all confirm that Year One gear will have
0 light level and therefore no power in comparison to the most basic new gear?

deoee

Looking for 4 to run either atheon and/or crota, which eve gets the most interest. Who wants to come?

1. Langoit
2. Langoits friend

We go when full...

Atheon hard mode and I'm in. But would be my first time :--/

LvL 33 Hunter on PS4 deoee0

I always hear that Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists so I looked up others and actually the two you mentioned kept popping up for me as well. We probably read the same articles hah.

If I take time off, I've gotta plan what to eat for the day. These are important matters to consider.

hahaha indeed! Food is the first thing I'm planning for my vacation trip next month. I'm hoping to find a good Filipino joint as well :p My mom's cooking is fantastic but I love a good variety.

Plus I need something to hold me over while I mourn not being able to play week 1 TTK ;(

Most people didn't even know what it was. Seemed like the majority said "are oh see"

This is hilarious to me. Like, I would seriously laugh out loud if I heard someone say this.

"We were getting new green weapons that out-powered our best raid gear from Year One, even after the first mission."

"I think it’s a smart move that a light value is inherent to all your gear now, even starting at level 1. Like with leveling, it offers a consistent and clear path to improvement, and it also gives Bungie a clear way to tell people what activities they should tackle."

"It’s great to see that light value number attached to your character. It’s a direct representation of your power and a good barometer to gauge the tasks and missions you can tackle with your friends."

Obviously can't confirm, but I would guess the problem is all the gear we currently own is technically level 20 gear.

If the first quest we do is level 34, then it would make sense for a level 34 green to be more powerful than a level 20 purple.

Klyka

Banned

No, this confirms that ALL gear now has a light level aka "item level".

I honestly want nightfalls to no longer have beneficial modifiers.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a "hard mode" end-game like challenge when it's occasionally easier than the heroic.

It works both ways though, I've lost count of the amount of times I've been killed by a solar hobgoblin snipe or an arc shank with a solar shield fucking with me

Its all about balance and keeping it "fun" I guess, Valus with no burn pre his patch was a miss for me

Lnkn52

Can someone explain the new light level for me. I don't have a PHD in Destiny, and it all seems a bit confusing to me.

Axoman

GI article is cool, has some nice new details but nothing major. I like everything I've heard so far. It's going to be a long wait until 9-15.

Haha yep :) I've moved around a few times but recently moved "back home again, in Indiana" as the song goes.

Cool. Born and raised in north east Indiana, Fort Wayne area. I move to Colorado 10 years ago, but get back to see friends and family once or twice a year.

Langy

OK looks like we are full:

1. Langoit
2. Langoits friend
3. Klyka1
4. Owensboro (soonish)
5. Biggy70686
6. deoee0

Seems like we'll run atheon, we'll start now and owen can join when he gets online. Sending invs out now...

I might drive through Indiana on my way to Philly, someday haha.

I'll throw up the Drizz signal when I get there. It'll have Skolas' face in the sky.

I want to know if they're trying to keep the old raids relevant. HoW and Etheric Light was great for renewing VoG interest but will there be any motivation in TTK? Unless they finally add new exotics to VoG and CE loot tables, not many people will play them "just for fun" when there's so much other weekly stuff to do.

Cool. Born and raised in north east Indiana, Fort Wayne area. I move to Colorado 10 years ago, but get back to see friends and family once or twice a year.

Colorado is one of the places I've lived previously :p Beautfiul part of the country, still visit often. Got married there actually.

deoee

OK looks like we are full:

1. Langoit
2. Langoits friend
3. Klyka1
4. Owensboro (soonish)
5. Biggy70686
6. deoee0

Seems like we'll run atheon, we'll start now and owen can join when he gets online. Sending invs out now...

I'll befriedn everyone for the trophy :^D

SheHateMe

I've only played this game for 111 hours. (Plus whatever the amount of time I spent in both the Alpha and the Beta.)

And I'm ready to double that before the year is out for TTK. All of this information is getting me excited.

What I am NOT excited about is the fact that I've got 27 days to finish the Year One triumph... and Skolas is what's holding me back. I hate that I work during the times that most Gaffers go for Skolas and finish him off. I refuse to go full LFG for Skolas.

Refuse.

We'll see what happens. Got a wedding this weekend, but I'll figure it out. I always do.

TTK Hype Levels increasing!

I want to know if they're trying to keep the old raids relevant. HoW and Etheric Light was great for renewing VoG interest but will there be any motivation in TTK? Unless they finally add new exotics to VoG and CE loot tables, not many people will play them "just for fun" when there's so much other weekly stuff to do.

Exactly. It's the main thing I want to know. I got too excited at the confirmations and the news that I actually forgot about that, but yes... this and all of it.

Kyoufu

Well, it wouldn't make sense to return to Crota's End again when his father is avenging his death, so I don't see them doing anything with that. Maybe they can add an Extreme difficulty mode (level 40) for VoG with new loot but I have a feeling they'll just leave that content alone and focus on new raids going forward, much like other online games.

Everything in the GI article sounds good. I'll be honest, I am starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. There's going to be so much stuff to do. Turning 30 has not helped my love of videogames. Who has time for all this adult stuff AND Destiny? That's the true grind.

Klyka

Banned
Can someone explain the new light level for me. I don't have a PHD in Destiny, and it all seems a bit confusing to me.

I certainly can help you understand it.
It is basically now a simple "item level" system as used in many MMOs like WoW or FF14.

Basically an item will have a level that is required to use it.
In our example, let's use 10. So that means this item has a minimum level needed by the player of 10.

Now items always come with stats on them. This item would come with the minimum amount of stats to be a "lvl 10" item. So it would give you, say, the defense you are supposed to have at lvl 10.

Now let's say this item is a blue item though. It's still lvl 10,but blue means it is rare and has some special things on it.
These special things,like a perk or higher than normal stats, make the item actually stronger than lvl while still only needed the player to be lvl 10 minimum.
These extra stats on the item might make it as strong as a lvl 12 item. And THAT is the item lvl.

So you have a lvl 10 item with an item level of 12.
A lvl 10 item that is as strong as a lvl 12 item would be.

And instead of "item level" they call it "light" in Destiny.

What this means, is that you could have a lvl 40 character who is decked out in gear with such high stats that he is technically as strong as he would be as a lvl 47 for example. That's his light level/item level.

It's basically what we have right now, we are all lvl 20 but our gear has such stats that we are as strong as a 34.

Hope I could help :)

Lee

Colorado is one of the places I've lived previously :p Beautfiul part of the country, still visit often. Got married there actually.

Denver native. Howdy!
no one actually says howdy here

From what I've gathered, all items (even level 1 items) have a light stat to them.

Level 1 Assault Rifle
+23 ATK
+4 LIGHT
+23 Clip size
etc...

Level 10 Hand Cannon
+186 ATK
+42 LIGHT
+7 Clip size
etc...

Level 30 Pulse Rifle
+418 ATK
+89 LIGHT
+33 Clip size
etc...

Level 40 Scout Rifle
+777 ATK
+120 LIGHT
+ 18 Clip size
etc...

Basically, it's a way to value the weapon and filter players. X strike requires 300 LIGHT to enter. X mission requires 200 LIGHT to enter. etc...

From the way Bungie has described it, besides being just a stat to track, Light will also calculate into your ATK and DEF numbers.

Lnkn52

From what I've gathered, all items (even level 1 items) have a light stat to them.

Level 1 Assault Rifle
+23 ATK
+4 LIGHT
+23 Clip size
etc...

Level 10 Hand Cannon
+186 ATK
+42 LIGHT
+7 Clip size
etc...

Level 30 Pulse Rifle
+418 ATK
+89 LIGHT
+33 Clip size
etc...

Level 40 Scout Rifle
+777 ATK
+120 LIGHT
+ 18 Clip size
etc...

Basically, it's a way to value the weapon and filter players. X strike requires 300 LIGHT to enter. X mission requires 200 LIGHT to enter. etc...

From the way Bungie has described it, besides being just a stat to track, Light will also calculate into your ATK and DEF numbers.

I certainly can help you understand it.
It is basically now a simple "item level" system as used in many MMOs like WoW or FF14.

Basically an item will have a level that is required to use it.
In our example, let's use 10. So that means this item has a minimum level needed by the player of 10.

Now items always come with stats on them. This item would come with the minimum amount of stats to be a "lvl 10" item. So it would give you, say, the defense you are supposed to have at lvl 10.

Now let's say this item is a blue item though. It's still lvl 10,but blue means it is rare and has some special things on it.
These special things,like a perk or higher than normal stats, make the item actually stronger than lvl while still only needed the player to be lvl 10 minimum.
These extra stats on the item might make it as strong as a lvl 12 item. And THAT is the item lvl.

So you have a lvl 10 item with an item level of 12.
A lvl 10 item that is as strong as a lvl 12 item would be.

And instead of "item level" they call it "light" in Destiny.

What this means, is that you could have a lvl 40 character who is decked out in gear with such high stats that he is technically as strong as he would be as a lvl 47 for example. That's his light level/item level.

It's basically what we have right now, we are all lvl 20 but our gear has such stats that we are as strong as a 34.

Hope I could help :)

Thank guys, it makes sense now.

Lee

Wasn't it figured out through screenshots that the minimum level to start TTK is 20, and that consumable boost will bring people up to 20? How can the first guns we get on a level 20 mission out-power (out-LIGHT) our VoG and CE weapons, unless those weapons have no light?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Edit: Or are the drops scaled to the difficulty level you play the mission on? So they played at 34, and the greens at 34 outpower the VoG weapons which were 30s ascended to... 33s?

Sorry for being dense re: this..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
*coughs* this might be actual thread worthy
<_<
>_>
I really want to make a thread at this point to just put people on my ignore list. If you read that article and don't notice just how many good changes are just coming to the game (ignoring what's already there a this point) you're concern trolling/shit posting. I won't do it though. I promised.

*coughs* this might be actual thread worthy
<_<
>_>

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of seeing a new Destiny thread show up in gaming every day or two. (or the one instance where we had 3 show up in one day) I've considered just making an

Game Informer Does Destiny thread and just collaborate all of it in there, but I don't know how long they're going to keep going.

neoism

jesus christ the bungie forums are the worst ive ever seen who the fuck thought changing them to this was a good idea i cant even find my thread after i make one...
:(
terrible....

jesus christ the bungie forums are the worst ive ever seen who the fuck thought changing them to this was a good idea i cant even find my thread after i make one...
:(
terrible....

Use reddit. It's the unoffical "official" forums at this point. Even bungie doesn't hardly post in their own forums.

Top Bottom