• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Anastasis

Lnkn52

Game Informer September cover revealed: The Taken King

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Redesigned Leveling from 1 to 40 (the new cap)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...edesigns-leveling-from-one-to-forty-4682.aspx

Dinklebot replaced for old and new content by Nolan North!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...mportant-character-with-nolan-north-9709.aspx

Developing...:)

I need to buy it!

269-cover-reveal-front-610.jpg

Seems like The King ate the Hunter. LOL

I retract!
269-cover-reveal-610-watermark.jpg

"We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained."

I'll believe it when I see it, but this would be a fantastic evolution.

Need to do the NF. Anyone up at around...1:15 EST?

So no more light leveling? HELL YA! Wonder what will happen to our characters now...wow TTK has me as hyped as vanilla Destiny did.

ich00

Game Informer September cover revealed: The Taken King

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Redesigned Leveling from 1 to 40 (the new cap)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...edesigns-leveling-from-one-to-forty-4682.aspx

Dinklebot replaced for old and new content by Nolan North!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...mportant-character-with-nolan-north-9709.aspx

Developing...:)

Gah, stupid work internet bloking game informer!

Lnkn52

Gah, stupid work internet bloking game informer!

September Cover Revealed – Destiny: The Taken King
cover
by Matt Miller on August 04, 2015 at 11:00 AM 4,623 Views

Few games in recent years have generated the same degree of debate as Bungie’s Destiny. Whether it’s fervent enthusiasm or harsh criticism depends on your perspective. Some of the harshest critics work at Bungie, striving with each passing update and expansion to hone the existing content while adding meaningful new adventures into the mix. Upon visiting Bungie, we expected to find a game that continued the process in incremental steps. Instead, we found a robust reimagining of everything that has come before, along with the largest influx of new missions, maps, strikes, gear, and storytelling yet seen. We spent two days playing The Taken King and speaking with its creators, and this month’s cover story has the scoop.

Following on the heels of two smaller expansions, The Taken King is set to arrive almost exactly a year after the original game launched. In that time, a lot has changed about Destiny, but The Taken King is a more fundamental restructuring. A revamped quest format adds story context and a natural progression path to old and new content. A newly recorded actor plays the Ghost from the beginning of the story to its conclusion. And the entire leveling system has been restructured for a seamless and deterministic path from levels 1 to 40 (the new level cap).

As for new content, the focus is on deeper and more meaningful storytelling. Cinematics are interspersed through the story missions, offering increased insight into previously paper-thin characters. The Ghost is a deeper and more involved character, played by a new actor. An initial set of new story missions is just the opening act of a larger set of narrative-focused events. New subclasses have dedicated story sequences in which you learn about their use. New weapons have more involved lore and storytelling behind them, and increased power levels that move them beyond existing gear. Even quests in the Crucible have a narrative angle.

For the cover story, we went hands on with the new systems, missions, and game modes to discover the details veteran players are eager to learn. Equally important, we grilled Bungie about the ways in which Destiny is changing to invite new players into the experience, and even draw back players who may have disliked it the first time around. Our 14-page blowout also features more than 20 new screens from The Taken King.

Destiny: The Taken King launches on September 15 for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360. Check out the full cover image below for a glimpse of the adventure in store for your guardian.

(Click image above to see full spread)

We also have a full month of online coverage planned in the lead-up to The Taken King’s launch, including a detailed look at one of the new exotic weapons, a video walkthrough of one of the new Crucible maps hosted by the level’s designers, and extensive interviews with the development team. Watch our coverage trailer for a hint of what to expect.

In addition to our Destiny: The Taken King content, this month’s issue also offers a guide to gaming with the new Windows 10, a look back at the momentous life of Satoru Iwata, and an investigation into the historical roots of the greatest video game monsters. We also have new previews from across the gaming world, from Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst to Madden NFL 16.

Print subscribers can watch for their issue to arrive in the next week or two, but you can read the full digital issue later today on PC/Mac, iPad,Android, and Google Play. You can also get the latest issue through third-party apps on Nook, Kindle, and Zinio starting tomorrow. To switch your print subscription to digital, click here, or to create a new subscription to the digital edition, click here.

Expect new details on Destiny: The Taken King throughout August. Click on the banner below to visit our hub for all our Destiny coverage this month, and bookmark it for an easy return as each new feature is completed and goes live.

Destiny: The Taken King Redesigns Leveling From One To Forty
news
by Matt Miller on August 04, 2015 at 11:03 AM 2,661 Views

Our recent visit to Bungie provided us with hours of hands-on impressions detailed in this month’s magazine cover story, and one of the major changes we learned about is a new approach to leveling. Players earn XP by killing monsters, completing missions, and turning in bounties, as has always been the case, but that experience now feeds directly into your level progression all the way from 1 to the new level cap of 40.

Meanwhile, weapons and armor continue to provide increased power to your character, with new gear unlocking for use as you level up. “The conflation of gear and character level led to this place where your identity was determined by things outside of your control,” says creative director Luke Smith. “We don’t want to do that.”

We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained.

Our Take
The original release of Destiny had an unusual progression system. Leveling followed a traditional RPG structure for levels 1-20, but switched over to gear as the main path to advancement for subsequent levels. Not only did the system lead to some confusion, but it also left many players stuck at a given level for too long as they waited for the loot drop they needed to progress. The new system should be friendlier to new players, but should also benefit veteran guardians who are eager to see their extensive play time met with commensurate progression and rewards. In my hands-on time, my existing level 34 guardians transitioned seamlessly into the new system, and leveling during subsequent story missions was smooth and engaging.

Destiny Recasts Its Most Important Character With Nolan North
news
by Matt Miller on August 04, 2015 at 11:01 AM 5,628 Views

We recently visited Bungie for an in-depth look at Destiny: The Taken King, coming away with all sorts of details about the upcoming release. One of the most surprising changes is coming to what is arguably Destiny’s most central-voiced character: the Ghost. The tiny floating robotic being is the de facto narrator throughout the base game, and he assumes an even more important role in The Taken King. Playing that role moving forward is Nolan North, replacing Peter Dinklage in the name of a unified character voice throughout the entire game.

Players who are used to North’s work on games like Uncharted and Assassin’s Creed are likely to be surprised the first time they hear his latest role. In taking over the role of the Ghost, North echoes some of the cadences and quirks established by the character’s original voice actor, but his line delivery is hard to immediately connect to his familiar heroic tone. “I was really excited to do this role,” Nolan North tells us. “You want to give him as much personality as the world will allow, without making it unbelievable. There’s a fine line to walk there, and I think we found it.”

When asked about his understanding of Ghost, North offered his take on one of the most interesting aspects of the artificial intelligence. “It’s interesting, because at one point they find another Ghost that’s been killed,” North says. “A Ghost is not just something that can be turned back on. It has an idea of ending. It understands mortality. It has a vested interest in helping you succeed.”

Not only does Nolan North play Ghost in the new content in The Taken King, but Bungie also had North re-record all of the original dialogue to create a consistent storytelling experience from beginning to end. “We wanted Nolan North’s version of the Ghost to wake you up at the start of the journey at level one and follow you all the way to level forty,” says creative director Luke Smith. With this change, the Ghost’s script will remain the same, but Peter Dinklage’s voicing of those lines will not be present in the game.

“They really wanted me to put my stamp on it,” North says. “They let me bring what I wanted to the role. You have to give it your own spin. For that reason, I specifically said I didn’t want to hear anything that someone else had done, so that I didn’t have some preconceived notion of what it has to be. Instead, I just gave it my stamp, and let them direct me accordingly.”

As for the future, North told us of his enthusiasm for the ongoing role, and his hopes for how to continue to bring life to the character over time. “I’m hoping we’re doing this for years. If I get a chance to continue with the role, I think we can evolve Ghost as we move forward over the years. In the same way that the player learns about the game and the world, maybe the Ghost grows with them.”

We have additional details about the Ghost in this month’s cover story, including ways in which the character now presents a new optional avenue into learning about Destiny’s lore.

Our Take
Longtime Destiny players know how odd it has been to not have the Ghost character included in the last two expansions. It’s great that the character is taking on a bigger role in September’s release. The original Ghost character was poorly received by many fans, but it’s hard to know whether it was Dinklage’s delivery, the writing, the directing, or the broader story that kept the character from its potential. Regardless, Nolan North comes to the role with a broad and ongoing connection to video game voice acting. While not all of his lines had been recorded and added into the game during our visit, the sections we did hear showed off a character who felt more emotionally engaged, and actively communicated with other main characters over the communications channel, helping the character to not exist in a conversational vacuum.

LiK

"We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained."

I'll believe it when I see it, but this would be a fantastic evolution.

yea, smart loot was a sham. i'll believe it when I see it.. can't believe it took me so long to get the Hawkmoon

ocean

Banned
Dinklage did a great job. The dialogue was utter trash, but that's not his fault. I wonder if they'll add in some lines for TDB missions? They feel eerily quiet except for zeros blabbing a bit.

As for new leveling: holy shot bring it on. It'll be so much easier to get my friends to stick with the game. Too many guys quit when they realized they had to grind 20 billion strikes to reach rep rank 2 and be able to buy purple armor.

So the level cap is now 40 for our actual level without armor being considered?

So right now we are all level 20? Imagine when TTK drops Bungie removed all of our nice legendary and exotic armors and weapons. Won't be able to use them until level 40. Time for some PVE/story grind.

no they don't progress. they'll serve you the first few hours then fade to black.

Good, as it should be. Because fuck seeing Fatebringer constantly. That said, they should up how good the new weapons will be in order for it to seem like we're actually progressing in power.

All I'm saying is I want a Hand Cannon that shoots mini-missiles.

I think the biggest question with the switch to North is: Will North's voice at the end of the Winter's Run strike be 4x louder than the rest of his dialogue?

ocean

Banned
yea, smart loot was a sham. i'll believe it when I see it.. can't believe it took me so long to get the Hawkmoon
Smart loot did exactly what they said it would. In Crota's End, and nowhere else, chances for an armor/weapon drop on a given character are extremely high if that character got upgrade materials from that checkpoint during the prior reset. This was a huge, meaningful and welcome change from VoG.

What they're suggesting now sounds even better. No reason to distrust; CE smart loot behaved consistently the way they said it would. Now they're announcing an even better system, and I can't see why they'd fail to deliver this time around.

Good news all around except for Dinklage.

Skele7on

Banned
levelling finally makes fucking sense.
exp to get to level
armour stats/rolls to determine hidden stats.
only took a year but they finally at a place where things can make fucking sense.

GG

levelling finally makes fucking sense.
exp to get to level
armour stats/rolls to determine hidden stats.
only took a year but they finally at a place where things can make fucking sense.

GG

Are they removing light levels? Like I always thought that the Light System was a convoluted system that arbitrarily determined whether you were doing full damage or not. Please remove it with extreme prejudice @_@

They could do with sorting out the servers as well, back to back nightfalls its lagged out at Sepiks, on the second run it was that laggy the spider tank wasn't registering any of my snipes

I'm ok with guns being left behind, as long as one of the hand cannons has Arc, Firefly and Outlaw

Arrrammis

Will this new leveling finally mean that I can use armor that looks awesome (Tengu operant, blue set, lvl.12) instead of some crappy looking legendary pieces? I hope so!

Top Bottom