• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

I do feel like Bungie should give dedicated players some ability to roll what they've worked for into Year 2. More importantly, they should communicate what will be useful in bridging the content. Like, a simple material exchange system for stuff like Etheric Light or Armor Cores would be an inelegant solution, but it would be something, at least.

It's going to be super lame if players with 500+ mats, Strange Coins, and Motes, along with 50+ Etheric Light, Exotic Shards, and PoE Cores have literally nothing to show for it just for the sake of pressing the reset button. It would be nice to have new stuff to work toward, yeah, but blowing up Year 1 completely is the worst and least savvy way possible to achieve that end. I'm not a game designer, but I could be if that's seen as the best possible solution to large scale problems.

Everything is now completely useless until further notice except for (presumably) Motes, Strange Coins, and Exotics.

Interesting... this looks like an arc damage Stranger's Rifle in that trailer:

xm0E0df.jpg

Did they seriously reuse the model?

Holy shit

ich00

It's a good thing BH is getting nerfed in 2.0 now that Bungie has confirmed old legendaries will still have relevance going forward. Wait, what?

Fatebringer was still super useful in TDB, so I'd guess some of these guns, especially the elemental damage primaries are still going to be useful for a bit.

Wait, will I really be able to purge all these legendaries? I was thinking of doing this anyway but we never know what the future holds.

I'm thinking my vault is getting a good cleaning soon!

void666

Banned
I'll keep one of each of my favorites but i'll dismantle all dupes.

And the weapons on the "may be useful someday" category have to go.

Idk about this. I actually like the light system. I feel like it made the gear mean something and made it all feel more valuable. I think a flat xp based leveling system sounds so boring.

Hopefully it turns out well.

Naw Light system was terrible

Was a huge customization stopgap and I am glad its gone

dB Viper

Happy that the old "go to" PvE legendaries will not follow us to TK. Sick of only a few options for end-game. Yeah, FateBringer and VoC are awesome, but gimme some variety.

edit: this is one way they are trying to "solve" the vault space issue, lol.

LTWood12

I'd be ok with the phasing out of year one legendary weapons if Bungie would confirm that there would NEVER be an option to upgrade them. It's the unknown that makes me want to hold on to them. They stumbled through year one without a clear long-term gameplan, and I definitely sharded some stuff I wish I had kept when upgrade options became available.

I'll keep one of each of the VoG and CE weapons just in case, and anything with an amazing roll or unique feature. But if they don't increase the vault size, that could get to be pretty tough.

Overall I'm happy to have a reason to use new gear, and to have lots of new stuff to chase.

Lnkn52

rip everyone hard earned gear......

smh

no reason to play until sep 15th now.

fo realz. Playing on mute on the meantime too, because whoever is my ghost, is an imposter.

Nolan North said:
As for the future, North told us of his enthusiasm for the ongoing role, and his hopes for how to continue to bring life to the character over time. “I’m hoping we’re doing this for years. If I get a chance to continue with the role, I think we can evolve Ghost as we move forward over the years. In the same way that the player learns about the game and the world, maybe the Ghost grows with them.”
It seems that Bungie is seizing control back from Activision. The whole Dinklage hire was just to show off.

So it's a 10 year plan. But it's not A cohesive progression. Each year is its own contained thing.

So you could skip year 4 and then come back for year 5. And everything you missed out on isn't relevant anymore anyway. (Jumping ahead, but this is a relevant year 1 to year 2 comparison.)

I'm really not feeling this. In a game made for grinding they take away all incentive to grind.

Wow fuck that. They killed fatebringer along with every other raid weapon in the game. What the fuck is the draw to play VoG now? Why are the raid weapons not a special case?

But it goes beyond that. All the stuff I played to get in the past month or two is about to become obsolete. Why the fuck should I care about other weapons anymore for the next month? What about the awesome trials of Osiris armor sets I got, why did I bother?

People are trying to justify this since every other MMO phases out gear like this. However, there is a very important distinction: it doesn't happen every 3 fucking months! It's not like you get this good equipment day one of the expansion either, people are still grinding for desirable gear right now that will be obsolete in a month. Why did I pick up the iron banner sniper last night and re-roll it for something good? It's not going to matter in a month.

Sure, phase out gear if you must, but let me fucking play with it for a while first. Raid gear should not be touched, that's ridiculous. Why is black hammer being nerfed, anyways? They've just killed it and every other raid weapon.

NeOak

NeOak confirmed Dinklage

No lol. I did like his acting. The ghost was awkward, and not a know it all.

But then, what could he do with a shit script and shit story?

rip everyone hard earned gear......

smh

no reason to play until sep 15th now.

Time to drop Destiny and get an Xbox One for H5 I guess.

Wow fuck that. They killed fatebringer along with every other raid weapon in the game. What the fuck is the draw to play VoG now? Why are the raid weapons not a special case?

But it goes beyond that. All the stuff I played to get in the past month or two is about to become obsolete. Why the fuck should I care about other weapons anymore for the next month? What about the awesome trials of Osiris armor sets I got, why did I bother?

People are trying to justify this since every other MMO phases out gear like this. However, there is a very important distinction: it doesn't happen every 3 fucking months! It's not like you get this good equipment day one of the expansion either, people are still grinding for desirable gear right now that will be obsolete in a month. Why did I pick up the iron banner sniper last night and re-roll it for something good? It's not going to matter in a month.

Sure, phase out gear if you must, but let me fucking play with it for a while first. Raid gear should not be touched, that's ridiculous. Why is black hammer being nerfed, anyways? They've just killed it and every other raid weapon.

This.

Fuck you Bungie. You did not learn with TDB.

I'd be ok with the phasing out of year one legendary weapons if Bungie would confirm that there would NEVER be an option to upgrade them. It's the unknown that makes me want to hold on to them. They stumbled through year one without a clear long-term gameplan, and I definitely sharded some stuff I wish I had kept when upgrade options became available.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Temporary satisfaction as in getting cool stuff and using it? Lol Fatebringer has given us pleeeenty of kills, it won't have been "collected for nothing" if it's no longer the best option in a month. And I suppose we do get to carry over our Exotics. And our current gear will probably still be viable in PvP unless there's some huge changes there as well.

This. Bizarre that people are like "I did this for nothing?!" Did you not get enjoyment playing the game? Because if so, I got some sad news for you buddy. I mean, what did you want, to display your digital items in a museum?

This is really par for the course. And let's be real, Fatebringer needed to go, because it was just too good for this sinful earth. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna miss the hell out of it, but what reason could you have to collect new items if the ones you've got are already ideal in almost all instances?

I agree that there should be armor transmogrification though. I loved running old raids in WoW for transmog gear and Destiny would do well to copy that.

DNAbro

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really care that old legendary weapons are being phased out, yet I didn't try to grind a shit ton for them so that may be it.

Frenden

Banned
After 2000 hours-ish, I ain't mad about legendaries getting left behind. I'm ready for something besides the same three guns (I still love you Fatebringer and Verdict).

Your favorites will work in vanilla Crucible, so I'm holding off sharding.

My stomach hurts im so pissed.

PuMa

I'll keep one of each of the VoG and CE weapons just in case, and anything with an amazing roll or unique feature. But if they don't increase the vault size, that could get to be pretty tough.

Overall I'm happy to have a reason to use new gear, and to have lots of new stuff to chase.

Same here. Of course, if we actually do get a bigger vault, I'll still hold on to as much as possible for collection purposes. Part of me wonders if this is just Bungie's solution to more vault space. De-value all existing equipment so we create our own space...

I used to be a ascender! but shit HOW proved its not the way to go. I need new things to chase in Destiny. Being max level in one night and having maxed level weapons from vanilla that was better then new stuff killed the game for me.

E92 M3

Exotics... maybe?

We haven't seen hardly anything yet.

Exotics are nice and all, but doesn't feel like enough.

Temporary satisfaction as in getting cool stuff and using it? Lol Fatebringer has given us pleeeenty of kills, it won't have been "collected for nothing" if it's no longer the best option in a month. And I suppose we do get to carry over our Exotics. And our current gear will probably still be viable in PvP unless there's some huge changes there as well.

I just don't like being placed on equal footing with new players, when I put in many more hours into the game. It doesn't feel progressive. I could just stop playing now and be on equal footing come year 5.

Admodieus

I'm sure the new story content in TTK is going to be an improvement, and Nolan North re-doing all Ghost lines is a great move for cohesion, but I'm not sure if I'm in for a ten year cycle where my stuff is obsolete every 12 months. What's even the point in a cohesive universe in that case? Might as well just be jumping from FPS to FPS.

Lunar FC

No, I want my time getting them not go to waste because they can't get their shit together.

Your time didn't go to waste. You spent time trying to get these weapons, you used them for a good while (while hopefully enjoying the game), and now it's time for new ones.

neoism

And everyone hated it, so they reverted back in HoW.

My torch is lit, but not rioting yet. I don't want to feel slight by Bungie again and don't want to feel like year 2 noobs are on equal footing to the originals. Otherwise we've all been collecting shit for nothing except temporary satisfaction.

Year 1 players should have the ability to carry a few weapons over to TTK levels as a reward of dedication.

lol bungie only cares about getting new players... smh... year 1 peps were nothing but beta testers...

Did the Stormcaller just kill harpies on Blind Watch :p

Will mis my Fatebringer, VoC and Found Verdict. Hopefully they will bring something good.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
This new info is mega cool. I'm hyped once again. Can't wait to see some Gamescom footage, hopefully :D

Top Bottom