• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Admodieus

Exactly. Why can't people understand this?

Because in other MMOs your top-end gear isn't outstripped this quickly. Some people put up with the crappy loot system for months in order to get Fatebringer, Black Hammer, etc. and now they'll lose it in less than year.

It's a bit of a toss up with them leaving Year 1 behind.

A part of me wants the change since it'll allow us to use and acquire a whole new arsenal. On the other hand, I also don't think they should COMPLETELY dump Year 1 away as if they're trash. Would be nice to see them include Year 1 gear in there somehow.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Change will always be a love/hate relationship with this game.

lol

Io4o7xV.jpg

I wish the 'smart loot' system would have been implemented a lot sooner. I might have actually got a Gjallarhorn in the 1700+ hous I dropped into Year One. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to hitting the reset button with the game in September. I lost interest after a couple weeks into House of Wolves since I didn't have much left to do and figured most of the gear would be negated in a few months with the Taken King expansion.

ich00

Your time didn't go to waste. You spent time trying to get these weapons, you used them for a good while (while hopefully enjoying the game), and now it's time for new ones.

Exactly.

I'll be using my old weapons until I find new better ones and just like in the last 2 expansions, I'll get rid of the ones I don't use and keep a few of the ones I really like for nostalgia.

I mean even if I couldn’t ascend my Zombie Apocalypse, I'd still have it since it was my first legendary. I'll keep it till they make me get rid of it.

This. Bizarre that people are like "I did this for nothing?!" Did you not get enjoyment playing the game? Because if so, I got some sad news for you buddy. I mean, what did you want, to display your digital items in a museum?

This is really par for the course. And let's be real, Fatebringer needed to go, because it was just too good for this sinful earth. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna miss the hell out of it, but what reason could you have to collect new items if the ones you've got are already ideal in almost all instances?

I agree that there should be armor transmogrification though. I loved running old raids in WoW for transmog gear and Destiny would do well to copy that.
Fatebringer and vision of confluence were used extensively because they are great weapons, yes. I say the solution is to create other weapons on par with these, guns that are actually fun to use like these two. Given the track record of the weapons they added in the previous two dlc expansions, are you really confident they can deliver other fun, worthwhile weapons on the same level?

Rather than saying, "You're having too much fun with fatebringer, we want you to use something else. It's now obsolete, use these new weapons." The sentiment should be, "Fatebringer is a fun and incredibly useful weapon, here are some more that compliment that experience."

TL;DR
They need to make us want to use other guns by making them fun and effective, not force us to my making the fun guns ineffective.

DNAbro

Old gear left behind. The last 3 months went to waste.

You and whoever starts with TTK will be on equal footing, fuck your year of play time and thanks for your $100.

But you played during that time. That was a game you were playing. Who cares if a new people will be on equal footing?

Shito

It's a bit of a toss up with them leaving Year 1 behind.

A part of me wants the change since it'll allow us to use and acquire a whole new arsenal. On the other hand, I also don't think they should COMPLETELY dump Year 1 away as if they're trash. Would be nice to see them include Year 1 gear in there somehow.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Change will always be a love/hate relationship with this game.
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this.
I'm happy and excited that we'll have to move on and find new weapons and armors to play with, but I really grew to love some of those year 1 gear...
Oh well, that's life, no need to grab onto the past when there's no other choice but to accept the change. :)

Your time didn't go to waste. You spent time trying to get these weapons, you used them for a good while (while hopefully enjoying the game), and now it's time for new ones.
If by a good while you mean a month for some of the stuff introduced in House of Wolves. Yep, a good while.

Anastasis

Destiny |OT♦28| There's Nothing Left / Not Even the Light.
Destiny |OT♦28| There's Nothing Left / Not Even the Light. Where's His Ghost?

Light is dead bitches.

But are they actually getting rid of the level scaling, I.e. Being one level below enemies is a huge ~32% penalty to attack and defense while being several levels above enemies does jack squat?

That's the stuff I really hate. I don't mind the light stat on armor especially if they're further improving loot tables with actual streak beakers.

neoism

No lol. I did like his acting. The ghost was awkward, and not a know it all.

But then, what could he do with a shit script and shit story?

Time to drop Destiny and get an Xbox One for H5 I guess.

This.

Fuck you Bungie. You did not learn with TDB.

lol nah halo glory days are gone.. i do not like 343... nothing ive seen of halo 5 helps that... good thang my GOTY comes out in september...
MGS5
thinking of even skipping TTK....:/ a least until they patch all of their fuck ups...

phen0m24

I'm ok with this. I'd rather have Nolan North over Peter Dinklage as my little ghost companion.

This. While I'm not a voice actor
I just wish I was
Dinklage totally mailed it in. He just did. Maybe the lines were meant to be a tad campy but they just sucked. Nolan is a freaking pro. Between him and Troy (in so many games) we are so spoiled. I can't wait to hear Nolan's take on the character, his ad libs, the fact that he does game acting for a living - should make the trip to 20 much more enjoyable.

And guns? So what. New things to chase. Everyone uses FB, BH and Horn. The thrill of discovery, the experimentation, the Drizzy counting hit markers.. Can't wait.

Bring it on.

Agent

Why not have a Year 1 to Year 2 exchange program? We could convert year 1 armor/guns to a year 2 version, which may have some equivalent stats/perks. Year 1 isn't useless, and there would be a "head start" for veteran players over newbies.

I've been on vacation for the last week so if I've missed something, sorry.

I think it'd be cool if you could somehow upgrade your old endgame legendaries (VoG, CE, etc.) to the max damage cap, but maybe at the cost of rebalancing the perks.

People saying that it's good to leave the stuff behind. It literally hurts nothing letting us keep our gear. If you wanna see new stuff used, well that's on Bungie to make better weapons. Right now in PVE you only see raid weapons. They are clearly better than other legendaries. You think Taken King won't have these too?

So instead of seeing
VoG weapons
CE weapons
And Oryx weapons

You'll see
Oryx weapons.

Why is this better?

NeOak

But you played during that time. That was a game you were playing. Who cares if a new people will be on equal footing?
No, I took a break during TDB precisely because of this BS. That's why I still had Day 1 light 27 gear I could ascend.

All my friends told me that was the best decision I made regarding Destiny and they get salty when I take out the original Vanguard gear. I snipe with a 365 Final Boss on PvP for God's sake and use a 365 Arc Unfriendly Giant with Tracking and Third Eye for rockets.

Time to take a break from Destiny again and come back when they reimplement ascension.

But are they actually getting rid of the level scaling, I.e. Being one level below enemies is a huge ~32% penalty to attack and defense while being several levels above enemies does jack squat?

That's the stuff I really hate. I don't mind the light stat on armor especially if they're further improving loot tables with actual streak beakers.
I don't think Bungie will change that model but I hope I'm wrong.

If anything they'll be trying to make the enemies more versatile and interesting while simply bumping up their level to make them "hard".

I swear based on the reactions to leaving old gear behind, some want to use the same 3-4 weapons for the next few years only to be replaced by whatever god weapon surpasses them.

Homeboyd

ITT people worrying about their current gear from Season 1 being worthless in TTK...

Meanwhile Cha is destroying people in trials with a white sniper.

ich00

TL;DR
They need to make us want to use other guns by making them fun and effective, not force us to my making the fun guns ineffective.

I agree with this too. Thing of it is remember this: TDB gear was supposed to replace vanilla gear, some did some didn't. HoW gear was maybe supposed to replace old gear, some did some didn't, and those weapons that couldn’t be replaced could be upgraded.

I'll believe my Fatebringer / VoC / OG Spear (have all 3 elementals) / BTRD / whatever are replaced once I find a replacement.

Ophelion

Old gear left behind. The last 3 months went to waste.

You and whoever starts with TTK will be on equal footing, fuck your year of play time and thanks for your $100.

Whoever starts will have to do a significant amount of Vanilla - HoW as they grind lvls 1-20 and get the gear we already have so they can even do TTK in the first place. Of course what we did matters.

I grind for gear as a means to customize my perfect load out for endgame content. Not for the grind itself. If they're just going to reset everything and make my current stuff obselete in year 2, I'm out. I want to just play with my ideal load out, not be on an endless treadmill that keeps wiping my progress.

I swear based on the reactions to leaving old gear behind, some want to use the same 3-4 weapons for the next few years only to be replaced by whatever god weapon surpasses them.

Not True!

I just want there to be MANY choices in endgame instead of JUST endgame gear

Bungie why do you break my heart so much after more than a decade of loyalty.

Its like you are trying to make me break up with you, because you don't have the heart to do it yourself, so you make life with you miserable.

I grind for gear as a means to customize my perfect load out for endgame content. Not for the grind itself. If they're just going to reset everything and make my current stuff obselete in year 2, I'm out. I want to just play with my ideal load out, not be on an endless treadmill that keeps wiping my progress.

Yeah I want progress to be smooth and filled with choices as opposed to just getting reset for higher stats everytime

I honestly think it's more about attachment to the gear than utility. I think Bungie could come right out and say they are nerfing Year 1 gear but allowing it to be ascended into year 2, and people would be fine with it. It would let the player feel like they have agency in when to let the gear go rather than being forced to.

Top Bottom