• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

neoism

I might have to take back what I keep saying about vault space and how they aren't going to do anything. With today's news that HAVE to do something. There is no way.

i understand the limitations are probably because of old gen.. but fucking really why should everyone get boned from that...
one good way to fix it... the day i started destiny i thought each column for the vaults were separate how many are there 3 with 4 nodes on each.. not really sure... make them all there own separate vault.. thats like 10 times the space... i was really bummed when ifound out it was all the same one vault....

lt519

I'm pumped about the legendaries being left behind, I've been calling for this for a while. Fatebringer shouldn't be the best weapon in year 2, make a new awesome Fatebringer for us to play with.

Rodiard you alive?

Daemul

This is why when TDB came out I stopped grinding for legendary gear and just focused on a select group of weapons which would get me through every portion of the game, only getting a new weapon if it was an upgrade on one of the weapons in my arsenal.

Since exotics are carrying on I only need to replace the legendaries in TTK. For anyone who is interested, these are the only legendaries I keep in my weapon arsenal, everything else, including raid weapons like my Praetorian Foil, got sharded long ago since I never used them.

VoC
Fatebringer
WoC
Black Hammer
Her Benevolence(Void)(replaced Praedyths Revenge)
Matador(Arc)(replaced Found Verdict)
Shadow of Veils(replaced arc LDR)
Ash Factory
The Infinite Theorem(replaced Song of Ir Yut)
HoC
Chain of Orbiks-Fel(replaced Corretive Measure)

I'll need to replace all of these which I don't mind since I would have replaced them with something better anyway. It does emphasize however that the only thing actually worth holding onto in this game is the exotics since they'll never be made obsolete.

NeOak

Have you guys not played MMO's before. Why would I want to use the same guns for 9 more years
Expansions that do gear reset are every two to three years in MMO.

We got "one" 3 months in after launch with TDB and now a full reset after just a year from launch and just 4 months after you could ascend the gear.

Meanwhile, lots of lag switchers in PvP, but Bungie don't seem to care.

Have you guys not played MMO's before. Why would I want to use the same guns for 9 more years
Edit: oh crap top of the page.......um my Guardian is better than the whole Master Cheif collection

i dont

I want to be constantly reworking and customizing my character. Its addicting and dropping off the old guns drops choice and variety

But they are promising ENOUGH new guns to make up for it plus we have exotics so whatever

I'm pumped about the legendaries being left behind, I've been calling for this for a while. Fatebringer shouldn't be the best weapon in year 2, make a new awesome Fatebringer for us to play with.

Rodiard you alive?

I want a hand cannon that releases cluster bombs when you get head shots.

Arrrammis

Related to this:

I'm really confused about which edition I need. If I am a year one player with DB and HOW and completed the 10 "year one" stuff, what exactly do I need to buy to get everything? Can I preorder this 40$ digital download and buy the 20$ bonus content and walk away with everything? Or would it make more sense to buy something physical with the BBGCU discount?
Honestly, whichever is cheaper overall, I think you get the same content.(unless you are hell bent on getting that strange coin or 3 emotes) I am personally just buying the digital version for easier use (I think if you buy the physical, it just has the base game on the disc and codes for the other DLC's, maybe I'm wrong)

Deku Tree

I would hold off on throwing any year one weapons in the trashcan just yet. We still have a lot to talk about. Several Twitch events are planned to answer all of your questions and we will give you the full schedule as soon as the away team gets back from gamescom.

Cozmo has a GAF account. And this is his first post from the other thread. If you can see this post then welcome to GAF Cozmo!

This forever.

It's like, seriously, are you still using your 2007 PowerBook?

Yes, there are some evergreen exotics that will never be replaced. Those are iPod Classics, but even my old ears have to admit iPhone 5Ss push out audio like 200 times better sounding.

Rodiard you alive?

Part of me agrees with this, but then again, it kinda sucks for newer weapons. I was excited when I got my Summoner, especially with ARs getting a buff soon, but now...

MLyL1OC.jpg

rc213

Sorry but going by the weapons in HoW I have no faith they will stick with not upgrading year one weapons. HoW brought nothing but junk weapons as far as PVE is concerned. So I fully expect them to allow it sooner or later as we start getting the new weapons and start grumbling that they aren't any better than what we had. Or they just went out and created Fatebringer 2.0, VoC 2.0 and don't want people sticking with original gear because they couldn't create something that eclipses the old weapons so they just forcing you to get rid of them.

Also kind of dumb that they are basically telling all new players coming in to the game with TTK hey don't bother with the original story or dlc packs because all that gear is junk now.

Arrrammis

Huh, opened up gaming side, and there are four separate Destiny threads on the first page... Huh.

I also hope they change the raids so that they drop relevant Leveled armor at least. VoG is something that nobody who plays Destiny should miss out on.

I'm excited for these changes. TTL now feels like a proper expansion pack in the MMO tradition. Where as TDB & HoW felt like standard "1.5" content updates that we had to pay for in lieu of a monthly sub-fee.

I'll miss my VoC & FB, but I'm stoked to find new builds with existing exotics and new exotics/legendaries.

But it's a shame that HoW legendaries never really had a chance to shine.

I want the option to do it. I'd probably leave my stuff behind in TTK anyway. But I deserve to make that choice for myself. I'm the one who spent $140 on the game.

This isn't like Diablo where you are changing gear every few minutes. I've become attached to some of these guns. I know that sounds dumb, but it's true. And I'm sure im not the only one.

If you don't want to redo every single weapon then I get it. But let the community vote on like 10 guns that can come along. Or just make all raid gear able to be ascended. Do something!

The real question we should be asking is why Bungie made all these awesome weapons in their own game just to leave them behind. Do they really have 10 years worth of weapon designs?

Instead of doubling the arsenal, they've made it smaller.

lt519

Part of me agrees with this, but then again, it kinda sucks for newer weapons. I was excited when I got my Summoner, especially with ARs getting a buff soon, but now...

Haha I just got a Solar Summoner and was like hey this might actually be good in TTK with the buffs (;

I think you'll be able to continue to play HoW, TDB, and VoG content with the old weapons. No reason to throw out the raid weapons because they will still be useful for their respective raids.

Zocano

This is one of the reasons I'm pissed about the weapons.

It will be like the old ones, but worse, and look the same.

Or they'll be exactly the same as far as utility is concerned. This is the problem with making loot that is only restricted to a specific archetype of play (in this case shootbang). This is why Borderlands and Darksiders 2 loot was boring as fuck but Diablo loot was at least interesting. Diablo loot could easily change the way you played the game. Yes, you were still clicking and killing, but the method with which you go about it can drastically change.

With Destiny, they have the potential to insert actual combat roles into the game and really just go full on raid party roles of supporting, tanking(aggro management), raw damage, crowd control, etc. They have put in literally one weapon that might make you reconsider what you are doing in combat (Lord of Wolves).They have plenty of potential design space if they so choose but as long as they keep it just straight shootbang, then the loot will continue to just be straight shootbang.

Also kind of dumb that they are basically telling all new players coming in to the game with TTK hey don't bother with the original story or dlc packs because all that gear is junk now.

Doesn't this happen in almost every MMO? Like a new player coming into WoW? Don't bother with any of the Burning Crusade raids, that gear is useless now.

Doesn't this happen in almost every MMO? Like a new player coming into WoW? Don't bother with any of the Burning Crusade raids, that gear is useless now.

I would hope that Bungie could figure out a way to make the old raids relevant (higher difficulty level with new weapons/armor).

E92 M3

I'm excited for these changes. TTL now feels like a proper expansion pack in the MMO tradition. Where as TDB & HoW felt like standard "1.5" content updates that we had to pay for in lieu of a monthly sub-fee.

I'll miss my VoC & FB, but I'm stoked to find new builds with existing exotics and new exotics/legendaries.

Oh my Party Crasher had a lot of time to shine! ;)

Well, I didn't play MMOs before and don't like that model of things always becoming useless.

I can finally just get rid of all those legendary scout rifles I've been saving for whatever reason. I'll be sad to see some weapons go.

I'm still not dismantling my Fatebringer, though. You can prise it from my cold dead hands, Luke. Prise it.

nOoblet16

Don't bother. You'll waste your time now.

HCs are getting nerfed hard.
It's not getting nerfed hard, it's just receiving changes that make it a worse option at range. Like a reduction in range which means the damage drop off would be higher. It will still be effective in the usual range that we play at i.e. medium range. The rest of the changes (like reduced ADS accuracy and reduced zoom) are all changes that are made to stop hand canon sniping, which doesn't really happen in PvE as no one sniped with a HC in PvE anyway.

In PvP it will still be very effective, the only things peopel won't be able to do now is snipe with a hand canon so if your gameplay was focused on that then you will suffer if you were more like me who mostly just used hand canon in close to medium range then you will be unaffected more or less.

Plus this wasn't my point, my point was that older guns like Fatebringer and VoC were used because they were by default the best weapons to be used and every other option was far worse than these few weapons. Bungie needs to replace these weapons with something good rather than making them outdated and giving us no option but to play with mediocre crap.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

What does this mean, though? That Bungie has to follow this model because WoW did it back in 2005? They should be encouraging players to go through old content. I don't care about the non-use of old legendaries. They should update the old content with new weapons.

SeanR1221

I'm fine with it. Not gonna bother to re roll anything at this point.

I wonder if they'll upgrade raid/trails loot to make them worth playing

lt519

I would hope that Bungie could figure out a way to make the old raids relevant (higher difficulty level with new weapons/armor).

I expect a new tier that drops new gear. It'd be fairly easy, even if it was artificial difficulty bumps. Put some Yellow Hobgoblin snipers up on the pillars during the Oracles :p

rNilla

I don't know guys, the raids are still pretty fun. I have a loot thirst but most of my motivation for doing anything in this game has been for fun--especially raids. None of the Vault drops have been necessary to enjoy TDB or House.

Zocano

I would hope that Bungie could figure out a way to make the old raids relevant (maybe new weapons/armor).

There is any easy way to do this:

Force progression *through* that content. You want to kill Oryx? Go through Vault of Glass first.

It's a big huge flaw with introducing new content to MMO end game. Most (re: all) of the time, the developers will put in shortcuts that let you bypass the old raids and just get right to leveling and doing the new content. My advice? Stop fucking doing that holy fucking shit. Keep that content relevant by making it the only gear that lets you have a good footing to do the new content.

NeOak

I think you'll be able to continue to play HoW, TDB, and VoG content with the old weapons. No reason to throw out the raid weapons because they will still be useful for their respective raids.
Sure. If we had the vault space to do so.

Well, I didn't play MMOs before and don't like that model of things always becoming useless.

I've never been a huge fan of this model either. I think they can kind of rectify it by bringing in some kind of transmogrification.

That would be great. I would not mind a Level 34 VoG.

What does this mean, though? That Bungie has to follow this model because WoW did it back in 2005? They should be encouraging players to go through old content. I don't care about the non-use of old legendaries. They should update the old content with new weapons.

I just love that Destiny weapons vary so much in Use and personality

I dont see any benefit of simply "replacing" beloved ones with upgraded clones.

Not sure thats the actual case but I would prefer the choice pool to GROW as opposed to slashed and burned for higher stat isolated content

We ARE all jumping to conclusions though.

Gammacide

So, it's Taken King launch day. I load up as a 34 hunter. Do I take off my legendary gear immediately and drop to 20 to start leveling up to 40? Or do I stay a 34 with my legendary gear, levelling up from 20 to 34 in the "background" so to speak as I play, and then I start leveling up from 34 to 40 regardless of what gear I'm wearing?

So strange.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind this detailed a bit more. I don't mind leveling because besides chasing the last few bits of loot that I "need" Destiny has begun to wane in my interest a bit and this hasn't really happened in the whole of the past year. I need to get the Human grimoire card so I will likely start one character over again anyway just to experience the New Destiny "The Way It Was Meant To Be Played". :p

Also, sad about Dinklebot and am not a fan of ONE VA getting like every role in gaming, but North is quality and I love him as Drake, so I am not too upset. Excited to see what he brings to the role over the course of the whole story. Would have preferred Stephen Russell, but whatevs. :p

EDIT: I would really love them to get rid of reforging though. I think it has ruined a lot of PvP because everyone looks for the same roll using the same guides online so I am killed by nearly the exact same shotgun every single time. It's boring to the extent that I love being killed by something out of the ordinary.

There is any easy way to do this:

Force progression *through* that content. You want to kill Oryx? Go through Vault of Glass first.

It's a big huge flaw with introducing new content to MMO end game. Most (re: all) of the time, the developers will put in shortcuts that let you bypass the old raids and just get right to leveling and doing the new content. My advice? Stop fucking doing that holy fucking shit. Keep that content relevant by making it the only gear that lets you have a good footing to do the new content.

I personally don't want to be forced to do anything. That just seems kinda dickish if they implemented that.

This happens in every loot game where the expansion increases player levels, even non-MMOs like Diablo.

Two differences:
  • MMO expansions happen every 2-3 years, not every 3-6 months.
  • MMOs have tons of content where a raid being obsoleted isn't detrimental. Destiny is only just now reaching that point.
We'll see how it shakes out. I love Fatebringer. Best gun I've ever used ever. It's the Halo 1 pistol with Grunt Birthday Party built in. Glorious. But it was a bit monotone to have it be the answer for everything. I'll never shard it, but I want more options.

noomi

Reading through all the gameinformer stuff now, and you know what.... cool, very cool.

Year 2 seems to be a fresh start for Destiny, and I can't wait to jump on it. Who knows.... maybe I'll even make a warlock and finally get my Platinum trophy.

In all fairness to Bungie, if all the new gear is awesome, then I'll have no qualms about sharding ever single purple weapon and armor piece.

I just wish they would say it already.

NeOak

"They don't care", yet they just banned a bunch of people. It's like you're not even trying any more.
They said that, yeah. But that is just a band aid solution.

What I meant is that they need to fix their netcode. They had Standbyers in H2 and dealt with it on Halo 3. What happened?

Top Bottom