• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Lnkn52

Buy them now! No more light levels, just XP.
hero_can_flat.png

FINALLY caught up holy shit. Everything i have read about TTK sounds freaking amazing, not one bad thing. I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of info they've gave us, need to finish processing it for a bit.

Freeser

So, I've been thinking about getting back into Destiny. Problem is I haven't played since pre-DLC days. It doesn't really make sense to buy the DLC at $35 then TTK at $40 when it releases when they have all the content for $60 upon TTK release. Any ideas?

Namikaze1

Putting it all in one place for those who don't want to go back pages:

Some random stuff:
Hakke Pulse Rifles shoot four bursts instead of 3.

New Marks. Replacing Vanguard/Crucible marks.

On Armor class items:
Class Specific armor upgrade items are being replaced with a singular Armor Material. Thank freaking god.

On Factions:
You have to pledge allegiance to a faction to gain reputation. You no longer have to wear their class items for rep. You can if you want but it's for those who don't like their looks. You can only pledge yourself to one at a time.

On new Exotics:
- auto rifle that shoots blast of chain lightning
- a sniper that blinds nearby enemies on precision hit
- Pulse Rifle called No Time To Explain
-exotics come with an intrinsic perk upon acquisition
- many are tied to involved quest lines
- one such quest line has you explore the Dreadnaught and looking for hidden pieces sorta like Dead Ghost Hunting.
-Sleeper Simulant, a fusion rifle that takes up heavy slot. Quest Line exotic.

More on Sleeper Simulant:
The new exotic shown in the issue is a fusion rifle that takes up your heavy slot. It's like a rail cannon. It's dedicated to a quest line. It's called Sleeper Simulant.

On Subclasses and their quest lines (all spoilers):
Putting the info behind spoilers for those on a blackout
-Sunbreakers Titans are considered a rogue mercenary clan
-you head to Venus for the first step in tracking their whereabouts
-second mission in Mercury. No spoilers in the issue on this.
-one mission includes you fighting a large number of Vex with your super regenerating in seconds. Basically gives you a chance to test out your new abilities.
-for Hunters, it involves tracking down a lone wolf hunter who has gone missing
-warlocks involve a shamanistic ritual in which Ikora indoctrinates you into the power of the storm

On Story and Endgame (all spoilers):
Again, I'm putting this behind spoilers:
- story missions are spread across a core campaign, subclass focused events, exotic quests, and additional tasks that open up later
- eight lengthy story missions frame the opening arc of the narrative, tracking your Guardian's infiltration of the Dreadnaught and assault against Oryx
-one sequence include a vertigo inducing platforming sequence in the Cosmodrome
-another moment is you fleeing a horde of Taken in underground passages of the moon
-you'll come across a marauding group of cabal and their crashed ship as you infiltrate the Dreadnaught
-raid is called King's Fall
-new post story missions
- many around an event called the Taken War.
-difficulty is ramped up for these
-one such mission takes you into the Vault
-you'll learn more about Praedyth.

On New Strikes (spoilers inbound):
-new strikes have "raid-light" (their word not mine) mechanics to keep things mentally engaging
- more enemies to match the increased firepower of high level guardians
-strike encounters alter enemy configurations on subsequent playthroughs between two or three potential fights
-can even face different enemy species
-Bungie has recorded multiple version of narrations

Spoilers ahead:
-new strike called Fallen Saber
-takes you back to Earth in response to a distress call from Rasputin
-takes you deep into the Seraph Vault
-you've seen the strike boss already, it's the big ass shank in the vidoc
- The Shield Brother Strike takes you to the Dreadnaught
-two cabal leaders aim to blow the Dreadnaught up with you on board (I say let them while we run out)
-one has a devastating melee attack
-the other uses a mortar cannon strapped to back
- you fight both at the same time
-The Sunless Cell is a Hive Strike
-you hunt down the Hive Darkblade named Alak-Hul
- he was imprisoned in a dark chamber for rebelling against Oryx
-Echo Chamber is the Playstation exclusive strike
-you head to Venus and hunt down the Restoractive Mind
-it seeks to revive the Nexus Mind we destroyed in the Nexus strike
-completely shielded.
-Only able to harm it after using a specific item to take down its shield
-regularly need to cover in order to dodge a devastating gaze attack

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Taken King will explode. Haters can't hate anymore now that Bungie is doing a lot of things right with it.

NFx3 anyone? Just join up.

coinmaryhelen

Neo Member
Honestly, whichever is cheaper overall, I think you get the same content.(unless you are hell bent on getting that strange coin or 3 emotes) I am personally just buying the digital version for easier use (I think if you buy the physical, it just has the base game on the disc and codes for the other DLC's, maybe I'm wrong)

Wow, this thread moves fast. OK--for some reason I was confused given the turnaround for year one players. Looks like just the same copy as everyone else + emotes is the same thing. I wanted the strange coin but its sold out, unfortunately.

Deku Tree

read the GI article...pretty good 8 PVP is surprising...

does anyone know if DLC 1 is required to play TTK??????

Yes it is. To buy the $40 upgrade you need to own everything already. Or if you don't own some DLCs then you can pay $60 and get everything included.

rNilla

Yeah. That whole hopscotch pilgrim pilgrimage. Nice.

We are enabling hard mode the night of September 15th and going through the content. Prepare yourself.

Damnit. Hypescotch Pilgrimage would have been a much better name.

I really curious to hear how the new Ghost sounds like.

Given all of the changes applied to Vanilla Destiny I almost want to start a new character for TTK. Almost.

Ophelion

My god if they do all this for their first real expansion, I absolutely can't wait to see what Destiny 2 will end up being like.

I have dreams about a Destiny where starting a new mission involves you just going from one location to another. Everything is "patrol mode". Some missions are optional and can just be stumbled into by exploring the map. Starting a new story mission is just you getting a new objective and then following your marker to a new location. Each planet is like a sustained campaign. You only go to orbit when you want to go back to the social spaces or when you need to travel to another planet.

Like, have you ever noticed how the second to last story mission in HoW sends you into the vault of glass and the last one starts with you standing outside of the Vault? What if you stopped the Wolves plot in the vault and then just had to hustle it back to the surface (with new enemies attacking you on the way out) and then just made your way to the tower to confront Skolas? That seamlessness is tiny, but it would make such a difference. It would to me, anyway.

Also, since I know for sure that Bungie is lurking now, if we could put some kind of vault space on our ship in Destiny 2, that would be cool and I would love you. To me, it makes more sense that I would store my extra guns and armor on my space ship than keeping it in a bank back home. What if I need them?

My nephew is going to be hyped!!!

I bought him Destiny last week. He reached level 20 the following day (I'm a good teacher I guess). He then did 3 strikes on the playlist and got 3 blue's with 5 Light and still stuck at 20 not able to do anything else and he actually got bored. He'll be stoked to hear the good news. He wants to raid and do PoE and hopefully Trials at some point. He hasn't played since Friday and it makes me sad.

Grinding the same strikes even gets boring for kids :p

Strider

Ok. I haven't read all the details just yet but what I did read sounds dope.

I think I might jump back in when this launches.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm personally just happy to see Destiny Gaf nearly universally happy about something for once. :)
if it helps, I don't like some of these changes :p

They pretty much universally represent the expressed desires of the community though, it does follow that people should be nearly universally happy.

Lnkn52

They pretty much universally represent the expressed desires of the community though, it does follow that people should be nearly universally happy.

Are we going to get a full review of your thoughts on the changes so far?

They should have gotten the actor for sully instead.

"Goddammit Guardian down!"

"We've awoken the goddamn hive!"

"That goddamn wizard came from the goddamn moon!"

Nolan North has done a robot voice before (Space Core /etc Portal 2 @ 10:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeJiZyGyUvY

LTWood12

But Hawkian, they're giving you an exotic fusion rifle equipped in the heavy slot!

kiguel182

I think this expansion shows there's no need for Destiny 2. They can revamp and improve the game using 40 dollar annual expansions and it works.

No need to discard the foundation that it's there now. Bungie is better off building on top of it than starting over next year.

Next expansion just needs to be next-gen only and that's it.

I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but they should have left out year 1 exotics from being upgrade-able to new attack levels. This would have fixed the issues of old guns(e.g. thorn, partyhorn) by simply phasing them out. I expect to see it happen either when the next main version of Destiny comes around, or when the next DLC comes out. There were only a handful of exotics used by the community anyway, so I'm sure year 2 exotics will fall into the same pattern. There will be a decent amount of them, but people will only use 3-4 most of the time.

Top Bottom