• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Lee

Lotta info to digest. I don't really want to play it anymore.

until September

Did we find out if there is going to be any reason at all to run old raids?

Fun. Inherent replayability (VoG at least). Motes/Materials can be traded for REP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I am stunned that anyone, anyone at all would suddenly decide that Destiny's foundation is so strong that it never even needs a sequel. I was the one saying how much longevity it was obviously going to have, even on one of the early Mythocast episodes, because of its core design... and yet asking for Destiny 1 to continue with annual expansions for 10 years seems straight up bonkers to me. There should be two more minor expansions following the Taken King- at most another major, all-console release after that- and then the next release should be Destiny 2 on current gen. A brand new game. Something new to experience from the first minute of putting in the disc, rather than just continuing to "the latest new stuff." A game that should be an event upon release, like Halo 2 was, not like the post-release content expansions to Destiny 1 have been.

Destiny 1 has fundamental problems that can't be fixed by DLC. I feel like it was six weeks ago that everyone else was saying this and I was the one trying to point out that it was worth playing anyway. Suddenly the hype for TTK makes it into a platform so solid it can continue demanding expansions indefinitely? You guys don't think that, say, even by 2017, you'll want more than that?
DNABro said:
My god if they do all this for their first real expansion, I absolutely can't wait to see what Destiny 2 will end up being like.
Exactly. I love Destiny, and certainly I'll buy whatever content is released for it.

But Destiny 2 could be a masterpiece. I don't want Bungie to get the idea that it doesn't ever need to exist.

Consider also that many of the changes being celebrated (universal class mats, shader system upgrades, Exotic perk auto-unlock) are simple mechanical changes that are a) almost definitely going to be patched in for everyone, regardless of whether or not you have TTK and b) of the same exact scope as, say, the Exotic weapon upgrade revamp, which was already implemented for free. In other words, not only is that kind of thing- while great- not the stuff of Destiny 2... it's not even the stuff of a paid expansion. It's just sensible changes to the core game that should continue, and will be appreciated by all... the should be, and are, free. They make the game more streamlined and accessible; more welcoming to new players and less frustrating to the individual. But even the version of Destiny with 100 more of those changes wouldn't be the same as a sequel.

I would prefer a new, considerably better game built from the ground up and luckily for me so would the market. But I do appreciate seeing such disparate views on the topic.

stb

The last 5-ish pages were quite a rollercoaster:
- the torches were being lit and pitchforks sharpened following the phasing out of Y1 stuff
- then the GI bomb explodes and everything is rainbows and puppies

For the love of god do NOT do drastic things before TTk because of how you or anyone else interpreted something in a GI article, reddit, twitter, etc.

You just know that the day TTK drops, or a few days before at least one idiot will be all "WTF, Bungie? You said in August that Y1 legendaries were dead, so I sharded everything that day! Fuck you!" Call me petty, but I fully plan on linking to this post on that day.

The changes all sound great to me. *IF* Y1 legendaries really are going to be worthless, I'll miss FB, VOC, etc., but I have faith that the "A" team at Bungie that has been working on this stuff probably since vanilla went gold will have adequate replacements in store.

I also feel good about the changes because it appears to validate my strategy of not really participating in HOW's shenanigans. If only killing Skolas wasn't required for the Triumphs, I'd just official shelf Destiny until September.

Super looking forward to TTK.

Honesty Destiny 2(trying not to let my hype get ahead of me @_@) would be my favorite game all time. If Bungie keeps on rolling on like they are.

ethomaz

Banned
The last 5-ish pages were quite a rollercoaster:
- the torches were being lit and pitchforks sharpened following the phasing out of Y1 stuff
- then the GI bomb explodes and everything is rainbows and puppies

For the love of god do NOT do drastic things before TTk because of how you or anyone else interpreted something in a GI article, reddit, twitter, etc.

You just know that the day TTK drops, or a few days before at least one idiot will be all "WTF, Bungie? You said in August that Y1 legendaries were dead, so I sharded everything that day! Fuck you!" Call me petty, but I fully plan on linking to this post on that day.

The changes all sound great to me. *IF* Y1 legendaries really are going to be worthless, I'll miss FB, VOC, etc., but I have faith that the "A" team at Bungie that has been working on this stuff probably since vanilla went gold will have adequate replacements in store.

I also feel good about the changes because it appears to validate my strategy of not really participating in HOW's shenanigans. If only killing Skolas wasn't required for the Triumphs, I'd just official shelf Destiny until September.

Super looking forward to TTK.
I think you can transfer perks from one Legendary to new one... that is why they won't be useless.

But I will never lost my FB.

Namikaze1

CLmBVcyUAAA4YH4.jpg

Damn you to hell, Nolanbot!

I love you, Nolan North. :)

recks

Tried to make an summary from the GI info, NLB me if I missed something

- Bungie retooled nearly every Vendor in the Tower
- Lots of new quests that unlocks thoughout progression
- Some quests only unlocks after finding mysterious items or from dismantling certain weapons
- One quest comes from Eris Morn to rediscover a forgotten weapon type
- Each quest step is noted on a dedicated page of your character screen
- Quests reorganizes older contents. Sword of Crota leads to TDB, Vestian Outpost opens after meeting the Queen for the first time etc
- There's also quests for every subclass (old ones included) that explains their uses
- You can now earn reputation with the Gunsmith
- You can borrow weapons from the Gunsmith to do certain challenges, like Sniper Headshots in the Crucible, killing enemies on the Dreadnaught etc
- After hitting a certain reputation with the Gunsmith you can order a legendary weapon every week, and on wednesday it arrives with random perks
- Crucible bounties are much simpler and faster to complete
- One bounty specific to your class everyday
- Two of the daily bounties are for the daily playlist so players don't miss on the rewards
- You can also expect one challeging bounty to complete, like the IB ones
- Trials of Osiris have 3 new bounties every week
- Crucible also has a 5 weekly bounty, completing all of them leads to a sixth bounty, which can rewards you with legendary/exotic weapons
- Matchmaking system redone
- Trying to find a way to deal with lagswitchers
- HoW Crucible maps will be available to everyone
- 8 new lengthy story missions for the "first act"
- And the "second act includes numerous additional story missions, strikes, exotic quests etc"
- Going into the endgame feels way better
- The raid is called King's Fall
- Several new quests opens when the main story arc is complete
-
One of the missions is called Unsealed Paradox, and give answers about the fate of Praedyth
- Four new strikes
- "The Fallen Saber" is located on the Seraph Vault and puts you against a super Shank
- "The Shield Brothers" is located on the Dreadnaught, where you fight two Cabal leaders, one with a "devastating melee" and the other has a mortar cannon strapped on his back
- "The Sunless Cell" you hunt a Hive Darkblade named Alak-Hul, who rebelled against Oryx
- "Echo Chamber" is a PS exclusive strike on Venus, that you seek the Restorative Mind, a Vex machine trying to revive the Nexus
- New strikes aim for replayability
- Enemy fights can rotate, on one run you can face against the cabal on the other against the hive etc
- Multiple narrations been recorded for that
- Old strikes like Dust Palace, Undying Mind and Cerberus Vae also have been reworked
- Boss fights now focuses on strategies and team work
- GI says that they played the final version
- White and Green that you find early on are more powerful than the existing legendaries
- "Bungie wants Year Two to reinvigorate the collection and experimentation experience of the game, and that can't happen if everyone is still using Vision of Confluence"
- You can improve an item by sacrificing another of the same slot
- Intellect, Discipline and Strenght now have tiers to improve
- Equippable emotes now available below your emblem
- Holding L2 on the pause screen now shows the energy type of your weapons
- You now earn levels with exp past 20
- Wants the level system to be "streamlined and consistent"
- While you explore you may find scannable places, which can trigger conversations
- Three new Crucible modes, Rift, Mayhem and Zone Control
- You only earn points by taking and holding the zones on "Zone Control"
- Eight new Crucible maps
- New quest lines specific to Crucible
- Quest line for every new subclass
- Titan quest line revolves on finding a rogue mercenary Tiyan clan named Sunbreakers
- Hunters focus on "tracking a lone wolf hunter who has gone missing"
-Warlock follows a ritual which "indocrinates you into the power of the storm"
- These quests tries to show how to use the new classes
- Legendary Marks replace Crucible and Vanguard Marks
- Universal armor upgrade material
- No need to use a class item to earn rep to your faction
- Can also trade Motes of Light, Ammo Synthesis, Weapon Parts etc for reputation
- A computer that lets you get any shader that you already obtained on your account
- Same system available to emblems
- Still having technical problems with Vault Space
- Still working towards a solution that they're excited about

snip

But Destiny 2 could be a masterpiece. I don't want Bungie to get the idea that it doesn't ever need to exist.

I would prefer a new, considerably better game built from the ground up and luckily for me so would the market. But I do appreciate seeing such disparate views on the topic.

Thank you for saying all of that. Pretty much my exact thoughts (especially the two lines I left in), but being on mobile, I wasn't about to spend 30 minutes typing that out.

I agree with your sentiment, I really hope they throw away last gen which has been clearly holding the game back in just about everything.

From what I can think so far, the patrol areas shouldn't be limited to a few people at a time and be more crowded, the hubs should always be crowded and full of guardians doing their stuff, we should need bigger patrol areas with verticality in them as well as having missions that require you to travel across different environments and stuff.

I've skimmed through the last pages of the thread but the hype for TTK has shot through the roof. Tomorrow morning I'll do an in-depth read of all the new information, looking good though.

todd360

I hope the lone wolf hunter will be someone from the lore. I want it to be jaren ward. There needs to be some kind of explanation as to why he doesn't have the last word anymore though.

Perhaps he discovered void subclass and just like the bow so much that he never specs in gunslinger lol.

rNilla

Well, I am stunned that anyone, anyone at all would suddenly decide that Destiny's foundation is so strong that it never even needs a sequel. I was the one saying how much longevity it was obviously going to have, even on one of the early Mythocast episodes, because of its core design... and yet asking for Destiny 1 to continue with annual expansions for 10 years seems straight up bonkers to me. There should be two more minor expansions following the Taken King- at most another major, all-console release after that- and then the next release should be Destiny 2 on current gen. A brand new game. Something new to experience from the first minute of putting in the disc, rather than just continuing to "the latest new stuff." A game that should be an event upon release, like Halo 2 was, not like the post-release content expansions to Destiny 1 have been.

Destiny 1 has fundamental problems that can't be fixed by DLC. I feel like it was six weeks ago that everyone else was saying this and I was the one trying to point out that it was worth playing anyway. Suddenly the hype for TTK makes it into a platform so solid it can continue demanding expansions indefinitely? You guys don't think that, say, even by 2017, you'll want more than that?

Exactly. I love Destiny, and certainly I'll buy whatever content is released for it.

Consider also that many of the changes being celebrated (universal class mats, shader system upgrades, Exotic perk auto-unlock) are simple mechanical changes that are a) almost definitely going to be patched in for everyone, regardless of whether or not you have TTK and b) of the same exact scope as, say, the Exotic weapon upgrade revamp, which was already implemented for free. In other words, not only is that kind of thing- while great- not the stuff of Destiny 2... it's not even the stuff of a paid expansion. It's just sensible changes to the core game that should continue, and will be appreciated by all... the should be, and are, free. They make the game more streamlined and accessible; more welcoming to new players and less frustrating to the individual. But even the version of Destiny with 100 more of those changes wouldn't be the same as a sequel.

This is somewhat uncharted territory and of course anything is possible. I don't see why exactly what you're talking about couldn't be released in a way similar to TTK that allows you to continue to experience "Destiny 1" even though it might be an entirely different game by current standards. At some point, for me anyway, this discussion seems like it becomes a semantic argument more than anything about how new content is delivered and what it is called but does not necessarily preclude Bungie from delivering a brand new experience in every sense of the word (content, tech, etc.).

No loot on NF? Not even coins? Didnt even know that could happen. Pretty shitty lol.

Thanks guys for the NFs. That black hammer cheese tho :p

This is somewhat uncharted territory and of course anything is possible. I don't see why exactly what you're talking about couldn't be released in a way similar to TTK that allows you to continue to experience "Destiny 1" even though it might be an entirely different game by current standards. At some point, for me anyway, this discussion seems like it becomes a semantic argument more than anything about how new content is delivered and what it is called but does not necessarily preclude Bungie from delivering a brand new experience in every sense of the word (content, tech, etc.).

If Destiny 2 keeps me from soloing the Vault of Glass at 26 as a Level 60 Hunter I DO NOT GODDAMNED WANT IT.

hydruxo

Im very hyped, I need to get out from work to see if I can get myself a Copy of GI, they should have it on Gamestop stores already, right?

This is what I want to know. I never buy magazines but I'm gonna have to buy this shit. That cover is amazing too.

lt519

Just read that whole GI article, writer is so enthusiastic about what he saw. I almost want to delete a character and start from level 1 when TTK comes out to get all the new lore.

Put me in the 'not universally happy' camp for now. Some of the changes are good but kind of necessary fixes as opposed to something we should be applauding. The streamlining of some of the inventory is nice but simply a workaround for our cramped inventory spaces. And some of the changes sound kind of bad: re-rollable legendaries has always been a stupid and awful idea but limited to mostly junk, and I don't want to see it in gear that matters. Also, the emphasis on quantity means that we will surely have a lot of mediocre guns to look forward to that feel the same as every other gun in that 'archetype.' The faction change will be nothing but a lateral move if the solution is the same as the Commendation system just with more options. Last, I really can't judge the move away from Year 1 weaponry until I have some playtime with Year 2 under my belt. Change is only good when the changes are good.

All that said, most of the released information sounds like steps in the right direction, and I am really looking forward to September. If nothing else, I think we will see a revitalized community with various people banding together to revisit old or form new social bonds in the midst of new, sure to be fun content, and that's the part I am looking forward to the most.

Korosenai

Also, I'm sad I have to leave Vision of Confluence behind. It's my favorite weapon and I'll basically never be able to use it again.

I agree with Hawkian. Destiny 2 will be a thing. As good as TTK seems to be, Destiny 2 would give Bungie even more freedom to deliver on their vision.

lt519

Just get a PS4 and start from scratch :}

How dare you judge me by my avatar! I played Ori on PC (;
a second PS4 sounds nice

Regarding the weapons. Just thinking about the legendary weapons we currently have, none are really that special. Fatebringer is nice for firefly but mostly it's because of the Arc Burn. VoC wouldn't be a top gun if it wasn't the only Solar Scout Rifle. Everything else is just a finely tuned weapon that can be replaced by another finely tuned weapon. Some of the new raid weapons can have cool perks as well. It's not like they are throwing out the book on weapons with novel perks.

Activision Publishing and Bungie released Destiny’s highly acclaimed second expansion, House
of Wolves, which had a strong attach rate and engagement. Destiny now has over 2 billion hours
of gameplay since launch, which amounts to an average 100 hours of gameplay for each of
Destiny’s over 20 million registered players.

Wow, I hope they pump more manpower and people into making Destiny 2 a far better game and fixing it's inherent flaws built into the original game. Considering the amount of complaints we do about Destiny, I'm sure it'll grow bigger once they fix more issues.

rNilla

Also, I know it's not necessarily the same thing anymore because years of Hollywood-chasing means the video game industry follows their marketing and naming conventions but to me The Taken King is Destiny 2. It is literally Destiny 2.0.

Seeing talk about Destiny 2 as something else weirds me out.

EDIT: bottom of page shame :(

Top Bottom