• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

kiguel182

For those who think there won't be a Destiny 2. Does that mean we'll still be killing Sepiks in 2017? Coz I don't mind replaying stuff (wouldn't be here if I did) but I think I'll have had enough of that by then.

No, you would be doing the new strikes that would exist then and maybe remixed versions of old ones.

Theorry

I dont know guys. But that info is crazy overload. Hot damn Bungie Destiny is getting better and better. Now i only need 48 hours in a day.

I just hear this comparison all the time. I wanted to know what the fuss was about.

Yeah I don't understand the comparison at all. As someone who played WoW for 9 years, the only real reason I can see for comparison is that Destiny has 'raids' and that is what most people equate with an MMO. However at its core Destiny is a FPS crossed with Diablo with some 'raids'.

Edit: Also I think this topic stemmed from people saying that Destiny '2' would be just more DLC added onto the Vanilla game like a WoW expansion. Yeah that isn't going to happen, there has been enough leaks and hints from industry people that the next game will be an entirely new one. There is to many issues, particularly Vault space with the base game that likely can't be resolved unless they ditch last gen consoles. And to do that they will have to create a new base game, as the people on last gen would get pissed if the game they have got updated but only on current consoles.

lt519

You know, I was out. I was playing other games.

But after today's news, I'm back again, D-GAF.

Is this a good week for Skolas? I need to finish earning that emblem.

Save yourself the headache and wait until next week. He's doable this week but you're more likely to have a couple wipes and the fight can be long, ~20-30 minutes, as it is, for first timers. Wiping a few times after 15 minutes can break spirits.

Owensboro

lmao they are totally incomparable. this conversation is surreal!

I wouldn't say "totally incomparable". When I'm playing Destiny I'm doing the exact same things I did in WoW.

1. Repeat content in order to get random drops.
2. Using a chat interface (this board) in order to play with friends / help people out.
3. Grinding reputation in order to get items/gear.
4. Trying to do harder and harder PvE Raids.
5. Leveling multiple alts so I can use all the equipment I have (thank god Destiny doesn't have a ton of crafting professions).
6. Roaming around the same environments over and over doing mundane tasks.

It really does remind me of Vanilla WoW before all the patches and expansions. Back before Dire Maul or even Blackwing Lair had been released. Hell, WoW didn't even have PvP for the first 6 months!

yup, today's news will encourage players to actually make their Guardians look good as opposed to look like mismashed ugly Raid gear that look like insectoids.

the Vanguard armor for the Titan and Warlocks in Taken King looks kick ass.

People laughed at me that I Ascended vanilla New Monarchy Armor for my Titan so I could retain my classic Titan look that I identified with, and they yelled at me for not having Raid boots

Taken King will hopefully be going in the right direction

If you're gonna compare it to a blizzard game at least say Diablo, destiny as a template is basically exactly Diablo, with the MMOish trappings that have become popular in newer games in an online RPG as well. I still think the skeleton of this game is essentially Diablo, minus trading.

Lnkn52

GOD. DAMN.

Nami, are you getting this info from the magazine itself or was there some GamesCom video that I've missed while sleeping? O.O
Nami forgot to put in the part where they mentioned that a Thunderlord post would be found inside the Dreadnought.

RetroMG

Welcome back guardian!

Thanks!

Save yourself the headache and wait until next week. He's doable this week but you're more likely to have a couple wipes and the fight can be long, ~20-30 minutes, as it is, for first timers. Wiping a few times after 15 minutes can break spirits.

Ok, thanks. I've done the fight before, but it was pre-nerf and we didn't beat him, so I need to take another run at him before September.

Owensboro

If you're gonna compare it to a blizzard game at least say Diablo, destiny as a template is basically exactly Diablo, with the MMOish trappings that have become popular in newer games in an online RPG as well. I still think the skeleton of this game is essentially Diablo, minus trading.

I've always viewed it as more WoW-ish because in Diablo I play constantly changing dungeons in order to get random loot (and a hell of a lot of it). In Destiny, I'm doing specific dungeons that never change because I want specific things to drop (Gallerhorn, The Last Word, or a Hopscotch Pilgrim for instance) and they come at a relatively slow pace. Also, the weekly lockout is a very WoW-ish thing (or at least, WoW was my first real introduction to that mechanic).

lt519

They eventually locked legendary items to accounts in Diablo 3, but you could share with your team for one hour. I always thought that would be a killer feature in Destiny, being able to share loot drops with the fireteam you collected them with. It'd end some peoples frustrations with RNG and let them enjoy the game more.

But you are spot on, I just posted this a few ago. Even the progression of the game getting better is following the exact same arc as Diablo. Basically equivalent sized major updates to the core game mechanics with a few updates before focused on making the loot better and more fun while removing gear checks based on your RNG luck.

lmao they are totally incomparable. this conversation is surreal!

I don't think anyone is saying they're comparable, but there are lessons to be leaned from how it handled outdated content and gear progression. I'm guessing it's the best way to approach a persistent game like this.

Namikaze1

Alright, who laughed at me on the last podcast episode for wishing for a possible PC version? Deaf? Fig? Todd? Who was it?! I don't see it being anything else. It has to be Destiny or a sequel.

deadduck

Its all great so far but to counter all of it I must say I noticed in the GI video the Necrochasm was only doing 15 damage per HS, that's an upgrade of 1.

Not good enough Bungie!

:mad:

I am still catching up, but after not playing the last 2 weeks and considering not coming back due to patch 2.0, I am very optimistic.

Leveling system sounds great. (Get your Redbulls). Tying progression to RNG gear was always a head scratcher.

See you in September.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I wonder if they wanted Dinklage back for new dialogue but he said "fuck you" so then Bungie said "no, fuck you! and just decided to replace him entirely.

Carn82

I'm still guessing most of them have been working on Destiny 2 stuff.

well, I guess the 'core team' has been responsible for the vanilla game and TTK, and will now move on to "Destiny 2". I believe Bungie hired another studio to aid in development, wouldnt surprise me that they will help out with the next 2 expansions.

I wonder if they wanted Dinklage back for new dialogue but he said "fuck you" so then Bungie said "no, fuck you! and just decided to replace him entirely.

If they couldn't get him back, they had no choice but to replace him entirely. Would be incredibly weird for your ghost to suddenly sound different in the middle of a mission.

Deku Tree

They could be looking for folks to program a stand alone companion app, too. Might not be a full Destiny port.

It sure sounded like they were talking about needing someone to test a full game on multiple different configurations of gaming PCs if you read the whole job listing.

Carn82

If they couldn't get him back, they had no choice but to replace him entirely. Would be incredibly weird for your ghost to suddenly sound different in the middle of a mission.

I guess you could build a story mission around that, but having a new actor record those 2 pages of dialogue is probably cheaper, easier and quicker.

Top Bottom