• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Also, I know it's not necessarily the same thing anymore because years of Hollywood-chasing means the video game industry follows their marketing and naming conventions but to me The Taken King is Destiny 2. It is literally Destiny 2.0.

Seeing talk about Destiny 2 as something else weirds me out.
Not sure why. Destiny 2 would be made for current consoles. Last gen held this game back badly.

Ramirez

This is Destiny 2. :p

People might start catching on one day that a "2" might not ever happen.

There is no WoW 2, the game just keeps expanding from its base, I see no reason to expect different things here. They don't need to add a 2 to the title to leave old gen behind.

kiguel182

Also, I know it's not necessarily the same thing anymore because years of Hollywood-chasing means the video game industry follows their marketing and naming conventions but to me The Taken King is Destiny 2. It is literally Destiny 2.0.

Seeing talk about Destiny 2 as something else weirds me out.

It's almost like we are discussing semantics.

The name is irrelevant. It's about what chances people want and most of those changes could easily be applied to the game we have now.

People use "Destiny 2" as if Bungie was going to make a totally different game for some reason when they've spent a ton of money into creating this foundation and are now throwing it away to make "the perfect game" whatever that is.

People claiming for Destiny 2 aren't actually saying what they want. Just projecting into it because if it's a new game it will for sure be way bigger than an expansion when it's just a name in the end.

Meanwhile, in Fate of all Fools town

tumbleweed.jpg

Well there was a mention of ToO bounties so the Fate may still be alive as well.

hydruxo

I think it wont be out in print for a few weeks IIRC. The digital version is always up before it goes in print

Word, honestly I wasn't sure if GI even had print versions anymore these days. I'll check some Gamestops next week and see if I can grab one.

Well there was a mention of ToO bounties so the Fate may still be alive as well.

Yeah, hope so. At the very least I'd like to see some new Trials gear to replace the year 1 stuff when TTK drops.

blazeuk

No loot on NF? Not even coins? Didnt even know that could happen. Pretty shitty lol.

Thanks guys for the NFs. That black hammer cheese tho :p

I'd already run it on my third character earlier, knew you were both looking for 3x though so run through it again ;-). May as well have got nothing though, everything this week was once again dismantled! Thanks for the runs though, nice and easy.

kiguel182

But more important than discussing if Destiny 2 will happen is how the DLC will work on Year 2.

They haven't announced a season pass or anything like that so I'm curious if they'll follow Year 1's strategy or if they'll come up with something new.

Something to think about:

A lot of PvP normalizes damage, so weapons that do 300 or 331 or 365 are still going to be relevant.

Specifically, areas of the game where old legendaries will still matter:

• Control
  • Clash
  • Salvage
  • Rumble
  • Skirmish
  • Elimination
  • Rift
  • Zone Control
  • Mayhem
  • Doubles
  • Combined Arms

Nighte

But more important than discussing if Destiny 2 will happen is how the DLC will work on Year 2.

They haven't announced a season pass or anything like that so I'm curious if they'll follow Year 1's strategy or if they'll come up with something new.

I expect them to copy wow. One big expansion per year with smaller content updates for free at set intervals. Also with cosmetic items for sale...

People might start catching on one day that a "2" might not ever happen.

There is no WoW 2, the game just keeps expanding from its base, I see no reason to expect different things here. They don't need to add a 2 to the title to leave old gen behind.

they have a big problem in supporting a progressive game on fixed hardware. this is the same reason FFXIV can't get around some PS3 limitations and evolve to include something like seamless zones.

At some point the content must end and make way for "Destiny 2" or support for Gen7 must end and potentially piss off a huge number of people.

Someone should start bookmarking posts about this Destiny 2 talk so we can have a great crow feast next year. One side is going to lose.
Dont do it lol

P44

Warlock, its all +140 intellect,
Hunter, +142 Discipline
Titan, they are ugly, why would you get Varik geer for Titan when you have more beatiful options elsewhere?

The titan variks chestplate is actually alright I realised the other day. As long as you don't use it with the rest of the gear.

Owensboro

Thanks for the 3x Nightfall runs everyone (MutenTurtle, EverydayMath, TheTylerDurden, And [SomeoneI'mForgettingI'mSoSorry])! We all got Exotics we already had :(

lt519

Yeah. I think this set of TTK details is the big tell. You don't rebuild the base game so fundamentally unless it's to be a platform for the long term. Everything from the recasting of Dinklebot (RIP) to reorganizing the original missions (new music, quest line structure, newly recorded dialogue) and loot upgrade paths just screams long term expansion plans. I can see old gen getting dropped in a subsequent TTK-sized expansion, so they can build a new space with only current gen in mind.

I could see a Destiny 2 in 1 or 2 years, just with the same loot/quest engine and next-gen only so all the work they've done isn't thrown out. If they don't snap it off at some point there will be people that will never buy the expansions for fear of it being to big to chew through and catch up. I've heard this a lot with games like WoW. Do you take everything you've learned after two years, create Destiny 2 and try and sell 10 million copies again or continue to expand upon Destiny as a whole and sell a few million expansions at a time?

Edit: and maybe it's more like Diablo where the entries will be spaced out much further, but I don't think It'll be like WoW, one base game for 10 years.

I've never played Wow or have any idea what it's about. But compared to where Destiny is to where was WoW on year 1, is it any better?

I think the best comparison you can make to Destiny is the Diablo series. Both not full on MMOs and both loot driven RPGs, just from a different perspective. Especially with Diablo 3 and all the mistakes they've made and how they righted that ship within the first year and released a home run in Reaper of Souls. All the problems that plagued vanilla Destiny were also present in Diablo 3; bad loot systems (gear for wrong classes, poor drop rates, Real Money Auction House), poor endgame, gear checks, mindless farming. The expansion pack faced some of the same questions, making gear irrelevant, new currency systems, re-rolling attributes on loot. The comparisons are crazy close.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
With all this new stuff I want the ability to have more guardians.
I would like to go through the game from the start without having to delete one of my characters.

Has there been any mention of this yet?

For those who think there won't be a Destiny 2. Does that mean we'll still be killing Sepiks in 2017? Coz I don't mind replaying stuff (wouldn't be here if I did) but I think I'll have had enough of that by then.

Yeah. I think this set of TTK details is the big tell. You don't rebuild the base game so fundamentally unless it's to be a platform for the long term. Everything from the recasting of Dinklebot (RIP) to reorganizing the original missions (new music, quest line structure, newly recorded dialogue) and loot upgrade paths just screams long term expansion plans. I can see old gen getting dropped in a subsequent TTK-sized expansion, so they can build a new space with only current gen in mind.

I think TTK was the time to drop 360/PS3 support. pretty sure the lack of vault space is due to last gen and keeping parity is with all versions of the game is important to Bungie for some reason.

I've never played Wow or have any idea what it's about. But compared to where Destiny is to where was WoW on year 1, is it any better?

If we are judging off story WoW was better purely because it had several years of story behind it, but then again as a stand alone 'story' Vanilla had about the same amount of story as Destiny did, maybe a bit less. But it is comparing apples and oranges in my mind. WoW has so much more complexity in regards to classes, builds and weapons than Destiny as it is a much more complex game to get into.

The titan variks chestplate is actually alright I realised the other day. As long as you don't use it with the rest of the gear.

Varik gear:
Titan Helmet: UGLY
Titan Chest: Good
Titan Gauntlest: Mismatch uneven
Titan Grieves: Ugly

Warlock Helmest: Super Ugly antlers
Warlock Chest: Beautful robes.
Warlock Gauntlets: okay, the orbs look out of place but not invasive.
Warlock Boots: Good because they are Neutral and are not invasive.

Hunter Helmets: Ugly
Hunter Gauntlets: Awesome
Hunter Chest: Good
Hunter Legs: Okay

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think TTK was the time to drop 360/PS3 support. pretty sure the lack of vault space is due to last gen and keeping parity is with all versions of the game is important to Bungie for some reason.

I agree. The last gen consoles got enough game. It's time to upgrade.
I would hope TTK is the last content they get. Two holiday seasons of opportunities to get new gen consoles is enough for people to make a choice.

Lnkn52

If we are judging off story WoW was better purely because it had several years of story behind it, but then again as a stand alone 'story' Vanilla had about the same amount of story as Destiny did, maybe a bit less. But it is comparing apples and oranges in my mind. WoW has so much more complexity in regards to classes, builds and weapons than Destiny as it is a much more complex game to get into.

lmao they are totally incomparable. this conversation is surreal!
I just hear this comparison all the time. I wanted to know what the fuss was about.

RetroMG

You know, I was out. I was playing other games.

But after today's news, I'm back again, D-GAF.

Is this a good week for Skolas? I need to finish earning that emblem.

Top Bottom