• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oryx better drop an exotic sword...

Blade of Crota please
destiny-the-dark-below-blade-of-crota-1.jpg

Top Page Continuum Transfunctioner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL89edcmkTE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting, from Reddit
If an accurate representation of the net effect of the new Light system, could be an outright brilliant implementation of what we usually think of as "item level" in an RPG.
Except guns still have attack values. And Year 1 attack values are way way below TK max level.

All that math shows is you won't have a significant damage penalty from your character's level.
Yeah, if they do still have individual attack levels then it doesn't matter, though theoretically they should still perform fine for Year 1 content

LiK said:
my head hurts
Don't worry about it, just shoot things

lt519

Interesting, from Reddit

Quoting myself from yesterday:

Bet they have a lower light level.

My big hope here is that end game content is like 300 light level but you can get to 400 light level with max everything. Some system like that where you aren't pigeonholed into having a max everything to beat the end game content, like using an old exotic would only bump you down to 350. It'd be a good way to keep the old exotics relevant but still require you to use a majority of your new gear.

Prophetic? The math makes sense, 12 light level out of 300 can't be a massive difference in damage output, literally 4% and some perks on a weapon like Fatebringer may outweigh the 4% damage reduction. You can still have your old gear be effective as long as you couple it with all new gear.

the upgrading exotics are not final and more can be introduced later

they said right on stream they'll scan both your character and your vault to determine your max potential level

I understand they might include more but why even go down that road in the first place. It's just more unnecessary confusion. If they want us not to use those weapons, just leave all of them behind. What makes Monte Carlo worth being upgraded than than the Vex? The arbitrary distinction right now just makes no sense to me.

LTWood12

Interesting, from Reddit

This specifically should not be taken as gospel
Compare that to having all 280 level gear: 280 x 9 = 2,520, and 2,520 / 9 = 280.

So, your average light difference will be around 14, being level 266 instead of 280. This is a < 5% difference in damage output.

While 266 is indeed 5% less than 280, that doesn't necessarily mean the damage difference will be 5%.

LiK

If an accurate representation of the net effect of the new Light system, could be an outright brilliant implementation of what we usually think of as "item level" in an RPG.

Yeah, if they do still have individual attack levels then it doesn't matter, though theoretically they should still perform fine for Year 1 content

Don't worry about it, just shoot things

FPS games have become so complex!

Interesting, from Reddit

my head hurts

I.... what?

Except guns still have attack values. And Year 1 attack values are way way below TK max level.

All that math shows is you won't have a significant damage penalty from your character's level.

That's very interesting!! In simple terms, equipping an old Fatebringer versus new updated attack guns, only yields a 5% drop since your attack value averages over 9 items.

We don't know if having a 5% difference will really be exactly 5% in actual damage output, though.

Deku Tree

53YXHzvl.jpg

So from the image capped yesterday, we can additionally confirm the following weapons aren't moving forward into year 2.
-Nechrocasm
-Hard Light
-Thorn
-Vex Mythoclast

One more thing. Bungie said there were double the number of new exotics in year 2 than in year 1 right?

But If they are all represented as the unlock ables on that picture and you take out all the known year 1 transfers then there are not very many new year 2 exotics. Less than the number from year 1. Does not compute.

So, what we did not see:

Eris
Vanguard quartermaster/weapons
Ship lady
Artifacts, though he had one equipped
Xur
The Reef

Still some stuff to discover when TTK lands. Curious what Eris' has on offer now.

Not how it works. Light is a damage/armor buff on top of the item stat.

Don't forget about Tess Everis!

Quoting myself from yesterday:

Prophetic? The math makes sense, 12 light level out of 300 can't be a massive difference in damage output, literally 4% and some perks on a weapon like Fatebringer may outweigh the 4% damage reduction. You can still have your old gear be effective as long as you couple it with all new gear.

Nice.

The only X-Factor will be how to get Y1 exotics that don't make it across the TTK divide. Xur wouldn't sell them of course, people would hate to get them.

Maybe they'll be behind quests? That way if you don't want them you don't have to bother?

lt519

While 266 is indeed 5% less than 280, that doesn't necessarily mean the damage difference will be 5%.

That's the kicker, may not be linear. But if they keep the same curve as before it's probably a good guess. This is promising and shows that they maybe though about this ahead of time.

I'm just worried about having to farm planetary materials all over again. That would be a nightmare.

Not with your new ghost detecting abilities! :p

rNilla

I'm just worried about having to farm planetary materials all over again. That would be a nightmare.

Do they really come into play that much? There are much fewer nodes than there used to be and a lot of bounties and activities give you mats. I haven't purchased any for a long, long time and haven't needed to even when upgrading stuff in HoW.

LordofPwn

One more thing. Bungie said there were double the number of new exotics in year 2 than in year 1 right?

But If they are all represented as the unlock ables on that picture and you take out all the known year 1 transfers then there are not very many new year 2 exotics. Less than the number from year 1. Does not compute.

the Year 2 versions of year 1 weapons and armor are different from the year one versions. they're remixes.

LTWood12

That's the kicker, may not be linear. But if they keep the same curve as before it's probably a good guess. This is promising and shows that they maybe though about this ahead of time.

Based on how the math works in year 1 i don't think so. I mean, level 33 is 97% of level 34. But there's sure as hell more than a 3% penalty to damage against level 34 enemies as a 33.

jaaz

The only problem I see with going to light level as an attack/defense value is that at end game you make the player level insignificant and the light level everything. Pretty soon, everyone will be level 40, and will be working to get their light level as high as possible.

Get ready for "LFM [TK raid] LL>190 only", ala WoW. This will replace the "must have maxed Ghorn" nonsense, and I suppose that's an improvement since there apparently will be many ways to raise your light level.

I think all year 1 blueprints show the picture of the gun, but DeeJ didnt actually have them all (greyed out). I think all Year 2 show an engram when you don't have it.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Do they really come into play that much? There are much fewer nodes than there used to be and a lot of bounties and activities give you mats. I haven't purchased any for a long, long time and haven't needed to even when upgrading stuff in HoW.

Hm that is interesting. You are right, I think you only have to have like 4 for one upgrade node. You will definitely need some for infusion I think (if I remember correctly)

lt519

Based on how the math works in year 1 i don't think so. I mean, level 33 is 97% of level 34. But there's sure as hell more than a 3% penalty to damage against level 34 enemies as a 33.

Which is why they made a big deal out of making it more granular, we'll see, but it's a promising compromise. I was actually thinking more PvP when I made that statement, the curve was tight at more comparable light level differences. I think 34 to 33 was like what 2%? Promising for those that want to use the Messenger in PvP but not so much for those that want to use Fatebringer in PvE. Time will tell, I don't care either way, but I think it'd be a killer system. Two old pieces of gear would really hurt you but only one wouldn't be so bad.

rNilla

Hm that is interesting. You are right, I think you only have to have like 4 for one upgrade node. You will definitely need some for infusion I think (if I remember correctly)

I still wonder how things will balance out though. There're a lot of new systems at play and everything costs glimmer / marks / mats / etc. I definitely don't want to grind for mats again either.

Kalamari

I think LTwood is right, the difference in damage percentage could be whatever Bungie wants, it won't necessarily correlate with the attack/defense average. I expect the difference will be larger, but eh new system allows smaller increments of improvement compared to the old light level system.

FyreWulff

I understand they might include more but why even go down that road in the first place. It's just more unnecessary confusion. If they want us not to use those weapons, just leave all of them behind. What makes Monte Carlo worth being upgraded than than the Vex? The arbitrary distinction right now just makes no sense to me.

Monte Carlo only being availble to PS players probably helps it out.

If you remember, the Vex was originally going to be left behind as of the Dark Below. Ascension changed that.

The only problem I see with going to light level as an attack/defense value is that at end game you make the player level insignificant and the light level everything. Pretty soon, everyone will be level 40, and will be working to get their light level as high as possible.

Get ready for "LFM [TK raid] LL>190 only", ala WoW. This will replace the "must have maxed Ghorn" nonsense, and I suppose that's an improvement since there apparently will be many ways to raise your light level.

Yea of course there will always be some level requirement to do endgame activities especially. But yes, A LOT more ways to progress your light level now. And a small difference in light should not be significant since the numbers are so big. So it's fantastic in all aspects.

stb

Sort of hoping they announce the remaining Y1 Exotic Blueprints will be DLC @ $1.99 each, just so I can watch the meltdown here and in gaming. =)

Light speed thread. OT29 incoming.

So should I be working on leveling up my Monte Carlo (I think that is one of the "new" exotics I see up top)?

Or will it not matter because I'm going to buy the new one, it'll reset (but I'll keep the Monte Carlo perk)?

Top Bottom