• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Also interesting is Light Beyond Nemesis was all strength, but in the vide it was split int/disc. Could just be placeholder though.

Super interesting!! Gimme nao

Top of HYPE page: RIP Dinklebot. We'll never forget. "Guardian Down"

ghosts_by_zerahoc-d89cihx.png

That's very interesting!! In simple terms, equipping an old Fatebringer versus new updated attack guns, only yields a 5% drop since your attack value averages over 9 items.

We don't know if having a 5% difference will really be exactly 5% in actual damage output, though.
That just means there's a chance thorn can still survive all this. We all know 5% won't make a difference for pvpers (will for me though)

So year one legendaries don't give marks and can't be used to infuse year two weapons (wishful thinking).

Guess it's time for a sharding spree.

lt519

That just means there's a chance thorn can still survive all this. We all know 5% won't make a difference for pvpers (will for me though)

Which makes sense because they are nerfing it. Why go through the process of nerfing weapons like Gjallahorn and Thorn if light level were just going to nerf them anyway?

So year one legendaries don't give marks and can't be used to infuse year two weapons (wishful thinking).

Guess it's time for a sharding spree.

You have nothing to gain by sharding them now, wait until we see with the Light Levels and if they have anything special in store. I don't think they would of told us to hold onto them if they didn't have some use somewhere.

That's very interesting!! In simple terms, equipping an old Fatebringer versus new updated attack guns, only yields a 5% drop since your attack value averages over 9 items.

We don't know if having a 5% difference will really be exactly 5% in actual damage output, though.

Your light level is the average over 9 values to create a gear score, not your average attack value.

What I meant to say is that with the new system, it's the same as the old for wearing Light 34 gear and equipping a white gun. You don't take any character based damage reduction like you do for being underleveled, but you do less damage because your gun has less damage. Equipping Fatebringer in Year 2 is like equipping the Stranger's Rifle as a level 34 in a Year 1 Nightfall.

Your light level averages over 9 values, not your attack value.

What I meant to say is that with the new system, it's the same as the old for wearing Light 34 gear and equipping a white gun. You don't take any character based damage reduction like you do for being underleveled, but you do less damage because your gun has less damage. Equipping Fatebringer in Year 2 is like equipping the Stranger's Rifle as a level 34 in a Year 1 Nightfall.

But your attack value is based on your light value. Both attack and defense.

A 180 gun will do more than a 150 gun. But as you progress in your "light level", that 180 gun will continue to do more damage. If I'm understanding this all correctly.

So 180 gun, Light 200 will do 150 crits to captains. You move up to Light 210 (let's say via a new chest piece that ups your average). It'll now do 155 crits to captains, with the same gun. More light = more attack.

That's what I'm thinking :\

lt519

From the picture today he had all but 2 Year 1 Primary Exotics collected. If we assume that having them collected makes them display in the Year 2 slots and the two he was missing do carry over then we still have at least 7 new Year 2 Primary Exotics, at most 9. Not bad. Lots of assumptions, I was already wrong once.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You'll have plenty of new content to burn through that will earn you new marks.
Enjoy it.
You don't need 1200 marks on day 1 to make every new drop "meh" because you just bought a full set of new legendary /exotic hotness.

This needs to be copy and pasted to the top of every page of this thread until everyone has seen it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

What I would really like from this game is another character slot. So I could start the game from scratch and play through all the year one content with the year two changes.

Klyka

Banned
But your attack value is based on your light value. Both attack and defense.

A 180 gun will do more than a 150 gun. But as you progress in your "light level", that 180 gun will continue to do more damage. If I'm understanding this all correctly.

So 180 gun, Light 200 will do 150 crits to captains. You move up to Light 210 (let's say via a new chest piece that ups your average). It'll now do 155 crits to captains, with the same gun. More light = more attack.

That's what I'm thinking :\

I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

Light level is just average item level, it doesn't change anything about how much damage your gun does.

A gun with a damage of 10 can't suddenly become a gun with a damage of 99

Daemul

Possibly safe, but don't come crying here if we discover on 9/15 that doing so was stupid.

Just wait until 9/15

As long as he doesn't shard the legendary gear he already uses I think he'll be safe. The way I imagine it working is that Bungie will check your characters inventory first to determine your light level, and if you don't have light 42 gear there than they'll check your vault, and if you don't have light 42 gear there either than they'll make you the level of what you're currently wearing, meaning you won't start as a level 34.

As long as he doesn't shard the legendary gear he already uses I think he'll be safe. The way I imagine it working is that Bungie will check your characters inventory first to determine your light level, and if you don't have light 42 gear there than they'll check your vault, and if you don't have light 42 gear there either than they'll make you the level of what you're currently wearing, meaning you won't start as a level 34.

I think he was referring to weapons, not armor.

GhaleonEB

I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

Light level is just average item level, it doesn't change anything about how much damage your gun does.

A gun with a damage of 10 can't suddenly become a gun with a damage of 99

The description of Light says it increases damage output as light gets higher. I'm guessing it's an adder to your base weapon stat.

Damage 100 gun + Light of 200 = Damage 300 gun
Damage 200 gun = Light of 200 = Damage 400 gun

Simplified, but I think that's the concept.

Deku Tree

So exotic shards are only useful for buying and upgrading old year 1 exotics that you already had somehow. They do nothing for year 2 exotics. I hope they let you trade them at the speaker for something.

They really didn't tell us enough about the economy. Can I trade old materials for new materials? I am guessing no. I suppose I trade my old class materials for a tiny amount of faction rep or something. Or just dismantle them. :p

Motes of light are still useful. Weapons parts are still useful.

lt519

So exotic shards are only useful for buying and upgrading old year 1 exotics that you already had somehow. They do nothing for year 2 exotics. I hope they let you trade them at the speaker for something.

They really didn't tell us enough about the economy. Can I trade old materials for new materials? I am guessing no. I suppose I trade my old class materials for a tiny amount of faction rep or something. Or just dismantle them. :p

Motes of light are still useful. Weapons parts are still useful.

They showed the Speaker and it was a "See you can still trade in your old materials" which was for motes of light and glimmer. So don't think it'll upgrade in anyway, just replenish all the glimmer you'll be spending. I am concerned about the very special materials like Etheric Light, Shards, and Cores. What will become of those? Maybe Variks will let you trade them in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Much as I do wish I'd discovered it upon the launch, I saw a screenshot posted and now I must inform you all that everything I know about Destiny has been replaced with the knowledge that there is an
equippable sword.

Daemul

All in all I'm happy with the changes, all I need now is for Bungie to confirm that max light weapons and armour won't be locked behind the Raid and I'll be happy.

You have nothing to gain by sharding them now, wait until we see with the Light Levels and if they have anything special in store. I don't think they would of told us to hold onto them if they didn't have some use somewhere.
The only thing they kinda stressed was armor as it pertains to your starting character level. Legendary weapons, as of this stream, appear to have absolutely no use in the expansion. I may wait a bit, but I don't see any point in keeping these 6 spare changes, lol.
Possibly safe, but don't come crying here if we discover on 9/15 that doing so was stupid.
You got it, boss.
Just wait until 9/15
My vault/inventory/postmaster is crying out for relief.

Dave_6

Anxiously awaiting the stream to go up on Youtube so I can analyze the hell out of it. Stupid work caused me to miss parts of it :(

Namikaze1

One of Year 2 exotics better be an exotic sword. Make it the raid exclusive exotic. Defend with L2 like the legendary version and it can switch between all elemental burns.

Deku Tree

So if you count the number of year 2 exotic weapons boxes, and the number of year 1 exotic weapons boxes in the blueprints, then there are actually "less" year 2 exotics represented by those boxes than year 1 exotics including the duplicates and remixes.

The only way you get at "more than double" the number of exotic weapons that launched with Vanilla Destiny is if you either (1) also count the lower power year 1 exotics some of which have been retooled or (2) think that all the weapons boxes do not represent all the exotics weapons that you can find in the game.

So if you count the number of year 2 exotic weapons boxes, and the number of year 1 exotic weapons boxes in the blueprints, then there are actually "less" year 2 exotics represents by those boxes than year 1 exotics including the duplicates and remixes.

The only way you get at "more than double" the number of exotic weapons that launched with Vanilla Destiny is if you either (1) also count the lower power year 1 exotics some of which have been retooled or (2) think that all the weapons boxes do not represent all the exotics weapons that you can find in the game.

They only said double the number of weapons period. They didn't say double the exotic weapons, unless I missed it somewhere..

Top Bottom