• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Lnkn52

Plus "Its my Birthday" & "Had a baby." ;p

WINNER

Top of Page HYPE:
Let's remember that DGAF has become more than a community, it's our livelihood. What would we do without you?!

GrimoireOT.png
GrimoireOT26.png
GrimoireOT28.png

ocean

Banned
Plus "Its my Birthday" & "Had a baby." ;p
If it weren't for the fact that we topped half a million posts a while ago, I'd say our "Had a baby" posts would be higher (statistically significant) than the average for GAF threads as a whole :p

Why are people talking about collecting Planetary Materials before TTK?

I have over 1000 of them all, so don't need to get more, just curious because I haven't heard anything but what was on Wednesdays stream.

ocean

Banned

I have over 1000 of them all, so don't need to get more, just curious because I haven't heard anything but what was on Wednesdays stream.
Just a bit worrying that the Crucible handler didn't have any for sale. And Ghosts having a buff for picking them up from patrol.

Hopefully Vanguard still sells them.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wonder if game informer article will be a bunch of bs today =D

Everyone saw that crucible vendor no longer sold them as well as ghosts having perks for collecting mats and everyone freaked out. Nothing's actually been confirmed on that front.

Kyoufu

Just a bit worrying that the Crucible handler didn't have any for sale. And Ghosts having a buff for picking them up from patrol.

Xur should be selling them tbh. He does after all sell excess stock. Might as well sell excess materials!

ocean

Banned
Not forcing us to spend time going in circles in a level 6 Patrol was the best damn thing that's happened to this game.

I really can't imagine they think bringing that back would be cool.

Wonder if game informer article will be a bunch of bs today =D

Everyone saw that crucible vendor no longer sold them as well as ghosts having perks for collecting mats and everyone freaked out. Nothing's actually been confirmed on that front.

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

In HoW they kept giving you Mats for everything you did and upgrading used less, maybe there's going to be a big switch around in TTK.

Not forcing us to spend time going in circles in a level 6 Patrol was the best damn thing that's happened to this game.

I really can't imagine they think bringing that back would be cool.

They probably want us to go patrol the Dreadnaught more, stumble upon secrets while gathering mats.

ich00

Morning DGaf!

In honor of his lord thunder being sold today, I present his theme song(credit to the xur thread on reddit):

Thunderlord

Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder
I was caught,
In the midles of a hive onslaught
No escape,
from oryx's mysterious dreadnaught.
My mind raced,
and I thougt: Which exotic do I use?!
And I knew,
There was no help, no help from yoooooouuuuuu
The sound of the rounds!
Beating through thier heads!
Thunder of my gun!
Tore them apart!
They've been
Thunderstruck!

deoee

Morning DGaf!

In honor of his lord thunder being sold today, I present his theme song(credit to the xur thread on reddit):

Thunderlord

Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder
I was caught,
In the midles of a hive onslaught
No escape,
from oryx's mysterious dreadnaught.
My mind raced,
and I thougt: Which exotic do I use?!
And I knew,
There was no help, no help from yoooooouuuuuu
The sound of the rounds!
Beating through thier heads!
Thunder of my gun!
Tore them apart!
They've been
Thunderstruck!

what about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA8yIXcY8HI :D

One thing to consider, even if they are still sold: we're going to want to be spending our legendary marks on new guns & armor, not mats. Buys mats now isn't a big deal since we're all flush with marks. Not gonna be that way in a month.

E92 M3

I've already started stock piling mats to make sure I am more than ready for TTK. It would suck if they stopped selling them, but better safe than sorry.

X-Frame

Weren't mat requirements like literally 4 times higher tho?

Way higher. It's 10 now I believe, but there were like 5 Attack nodes each requiring 16 mats if I remember correctly.

I haven't really had to buy any mats with marks in a long time actually. Except a Relic Iron since I am never on Mars.

ocean

Banned
They probably want us to go patrol the Dreadnaught more, stumble upon secrets while gathering mats.
I remember when we played the beta and saw that question mark level Ogre hidden under a ledge. As level 8s, we could do no damage. I was thrilled with the prospect of coming back later, with better gear, and killing his face to unravel what secrets he hid. Turns out it was just a chest with some Spinmetal.

This game's environments are beautiful, lush with detail, but ultimately empty and void of any interesting features to discover beyond a good sight for a picture (Zoba's album for reference).

Back when upgrading a single weapon required like 64 (or 56? Don't remember) planetary materials, it was just a drag. You'd load Patrol, hop on your Sparrow, and spend half an hour looking for bushes and chests while largely ignoring enemies. That wasn't exploration. It was grinding, in the absolute worst MMO fetch til you die sort of way.

And we had to do it a lot.

I'm super excited to explore every inch of the Dreadnaught. I wanna discover those hidden pieces for the Exotic, whatever chests I don't immediately understand how to reach, I wanna play the new Public Events, I wanna test weapons against the new enemies in this place.

But I don't wanna farm there. It's boring. Your game should never be boring. Grinding marks or XP is one thing - you gain them playing the content you enjoy, as you enjoy it. But farming mats takes you away from whatever it is you like in the game and just has you follow a static route through a map's instances.

In a game that launched with a million problems, that was the biggest. And among the dozens of amazing tweaks they've made to streamline our experience and make it more enjoyable, that was the most impactful.

Now I know weapons and armor since HoW have been super cheap to upgrade - few nodes, and each node costing way less than they used to. But it doesn't change the fact that, with a completely overhauled loot table, we're gonna be upgrading a ton of stuff. Greens and blues and then all our new purples.

No longer will we get a Raid or Trials set and call it a day. We'll want a Solar armor buff from New Monarchy, and a Void and Arc one from whoever sells that. We'll want to earn, upgrade, and infuse all the cool new stuff we get. And if doing so requires boring grind sessions on Patrol, we lose the flexibility the game has finally reached with HoW, where it never feels like you need to do a certain specific thing. We can log on and do whatever we want and still gain Marks, XP, weapons, mats will drop or we buy them, whatever. A major step back.

As with everything: I'll wait for info before being outraged but I'd be seriously disappointed if they thought their AAA FarmVille competitor was something we should go back to.

Mupod

Remember, when firing Thunderlord, you must always make the same aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH yell that Snake does while firing an LMG in MGS3/4.

flkraven

I don't mind farming for mats if they incorporate more dynamic/exciting things into the world. They talked about purples, etc being more likely to drop from enemies in the world, so I hope that along with better/more frequent/more fun public events could keep things interesting.

DjRalford

I'm starting to get a little bored now in crucible.

Killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn

killed by Party Crasher +1
killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn

MechDX

I don't care if it is good but anyone who buys and wears that ugly as hell Eternal Warrior helmet should be slapped and barred from playing this game.

Mupod

They should put in a world PVP area with valuable rare spawn gathering nodes just to watch the world burn.

Seriously though I like gathering and find it relaxing but it needs that little element of competition/danger.

darthbob

I don't care if it is good but anyone who buys and wears that ugly as hell Eternal Warrior helmet should be slapped and barred from playing this game.

Dunno why anyone would wear it, it looks terrible and it's perk is mediocre.

I actually gave some thought last night on what a Year 2 Eternal Warrior could be like, and this is what I got: Kills with Fist of Havoc grant an overshield that lasts longer the more enemies you kill. So like if you get one kill with FoH you get a 3 second overshield, but if you get like 5 kills, you get a 15 second overshield.

The shield would be essentially the same as the Defender Titan overshield, maybe a bit weaker to compensate for the possible longer duration.

I'm starting to get a little bored now in crucible.

Killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn

killed by Thorn
killed by Thorn

You should change that to

Scored a kill with Thorn,

Scored a kill with Party Crasher + 1
Scored a kill with Party Crasher + 1
Scored a kill with Thorn

You'll have more fun that way.

Also, Thunderlord? Looks like I'll need to log in again. It's the last non-expansion exotic weapon I need!

long post

I absolutely agree that grinding for mats was the most boring thing I've done in this game. I got no enjoyment from it, and the only thing that made it slightly bearable was watching a show or just goofing with someone else while farming.

If they get the balance of required mats correct, though, and if the ghosts make it easier to see them, we can just collect mats while doing other things on patrol (I'm assuming/hoping here that there will be other things worth doing).

Plus, we aren't going to want to spend our glimmer or legendary marks on mats anyway. I'm also assuming/hoping that various quests and daily/weekly content will be dropping mats to lessen the need for farming even more.

Juraash

Well Xur's armor selection seems a bit lame today, but Thunderlord is a nice surprise. Was that one that we saw in the year 2 list? I'll probably buy it anyways, but if we've seen it for year 2 than it's a for sure purchase.

There are other ways to get planetary mats beside running around on Patrol - daily heroic, judgement/queens packages, etc. There may be other ways added as well. We'll have to wait and see.

Legendary marks will be pretty useful. I wouldn't be wasting them on a mat exchange.

I remember when we played the beta and saw that question mark level Ogre hidden under a ledge. As level 8s, we could do no damage. I was thrilled with the prospect of coming back later, with better gear, and killing his face to unravel what secrets he hid. Turns out it was just a chest with some Spinmetal.

This game's environments are beautiful, lush with detail, but ultimately empty and void of any interesting features to discover beyond a good sight for a picture (Zoba's album for reference).

Back when upgrading a single weapon required like 64 (or 56? Don't remember) planetary materials, it was just a drag. You'd load Patrol, hop on your Sparrow, and spend half an hour looking for bushes and chests while largely ignoring enemies. That wasn't exploration. It was grinding, in the absolute worst MMO fetch til you die sort of way.

And we had to do it a lot.

I'm super excited to explore every inch of the Dreadnaught. I wanna discover those hidden pieces for the Exotic, whatever chests I don't immediately understand how to reach, I wanna play the new Public Events, I wanna test weapons against the new enemies in this place.

But I don't wanna farm there. It's boring. Your game should never be boring. Grinding marks or XP is one thing - you gain them playing the content you enjoy, as you enjoy it. But farming mats takes you away from whatever it is you like in the game and just has you follow a static route through a map's instances.

In a game that launched with a million problems, that was the biggest. And among the dozens of amazing tweaks they've made to streamline our experience and make it more enjoyable, that was the most impactful.

Now I know weapons and armor since HoW have been super cheap to upgrade - few nodes, and each node costing way less than they used to. But it doesn't change the fact that, with a completely overhauled loot table, we're gonna be upgrading a ton of stuff. Greens and blues and then all our new purples.

No longer will we get a Raid or Trials set and call it a day. We'll want a Solar armor buff from New Monarchy, and a Void and Arc one from whoever sells that. We'll want to earn, upgrade, and infuse all the cool new stuff we get. And if doing so requires boring grind sessions on Patrol, we lose the flexibility the game has finally reached with HoW, where it never feels like you need to do a certain specific thing. We can log on and do whatever we want and still gain Marks, XP, weapons, mats will drop or we buy them, whatever. A major step back.

As with everything: I'll wait for info before being outraged but I'd be seriously disappointed if they thought their AAA FarmVille competitor was something we should go back to.

If I had to hazard a guess, they looked at data from the game and saw that people gathering mats from the world dropped not a little but to like 2%. I know I never do it, ever.

And it's clear that they wanted to make that a very clear and integral part of the gameworld.

It also, honestly, works in the narrative. If we're rebuilding the golden age, it should actually honestly be a little tough to build these things up.

And that's what this situation looks like. "A little tough." They've drastically lowered mat requirements. It looks like legendary weapons will be harder to get. I can get five mats in like 10 minutes.

This is all me, though. And I'm the kind of person who listens to Gorillaz and forces my brain to picture the characters actually recording the music.

So.

Navy Bean

Mornin' DGAF... And thank you Xur for bringing the final exotic I need, the Thunderlord. Will read up on Drizzay's epic T-Lord post before using.

They should put in a world PVP area with valuable rare spawn gathering nodes just to watch the world burn.

Seriously though I like gathering and find it relaxing but it needs that little element of competition/danger.

Some sort of world PvP environment would be awesome. Along with adding in activities outside of just shooting things with your gun (sparrow races, space battles, crafting of some sort, personalized social areas, etc.) it's probably my most wanted feature for future iterations of Destiny. I hope they continue to embrace the RPG nature of this game and continue to add non-FPS activities and more MMOish systems.

Homeboyd

Well Xur's armor selection seems a bit lame today, but Thunderlord is a nice surprise. Was that one that we saw in the year 2 list? I'll probably buy it anyways, but if we've seen it for year 2 than it's a for sure purchase.
Yep. It's a Year 2 gun for sure. Definitely pick it up from Xur if you don't have it. Great machine gun as is but definitely looking forward to seeing what's changed in the 2.0 version.

Count me in chief. Just don't make it completely open? I haven't used Google Docs but I'd hate to imagine some troll just messing it up :p
You can use ToO carries to bribe some manpower for the data crunch :p

Well here's the guidelines currently. It'd be best to weed out any ambiguity or contradictions now so the process goes as smoothly as possible.

DESTINYGAF |OT| POST STATS

Post #
Date: The day the post was made in MM/DD/YY (used to track monthly activity)
Day: The day of the week the post was made (used to track weekly activity by frequency of posts on a specific day)
Time: The time the post was made in GMT -4 (used to track peak daily activity)
Poster: The author of the post (used to track overall Top 100 posters in DGAF)

General Discussion (GD): Broad conversation about any non-specific topic in Destiny. Includes personal to-do lists, discussion about the individual's Guardian, short comments about Destiny, Trophies and Achievements, and Xur visits.
  • I hope Xur sells Thunderlord tomorrow
  • Warlocks still have the worst jump. It is known.
  • I'm about to log on and farm some glimmer...

Looking For Group (LFG): Any post made with the intention of forming a group with another poster. Includes the posting of Gamertags and PSN IDs.
  • Who wants to Raid?
  • 1 more for Trials
  • I need friends! Add me GT: TheLonelyBoner

PvE Discussion: Any post made discussing cooperative content. This includes Story missions, Strikes, Raids, Prison of Elders, and Patrols. It also includes Lore, Ghost hunting and Grimoire cards, as well as any strategy guides and short comments made about PvE.
  • What's really inside the Traveler?
  • I've had enough of Scrota for one night.
  • Just got a Hawkmoon from a ROC strike. Aww yiss!

PvP Discussion: Any post made discussing competitive content. This includes map discussion, Crucible meta, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, strategy guides and any short comments about PvP.
  • I'm getting the hang of the Messenger in PvP.
  • That feeling when your teammate captures A on Blind Watch...
  • Playing alone - 30 kills. Playing with Twilight - 30 assists

Quality of Life Discussion (QoL): Any post made discussing the framework of the game and the updates that pertain to it. This includes the User Interface, Player Economy, Matchmaking, netcode, Bungie Weekly Updates and Patch Notes.
  • The lag is really bad tonight.
  • I can't believe they are nerfing Gjallarhorn and I just got it.
  • WHERE THE HELL IS THE WEEKLY UPDATE?!

Media: Images, Gifs, Videos and Stream Links related to Destiny.
That arrow though *swoon*
6ccd826d9fc73072f635dcda4c679e11.png

Off-Topic: Nami: Anything not relating to Destiny. This includes conversation between or discussion about members in the thread, meta discussion about the thread itself, short comments, and reaction images or other images that are not related to Destiny.
  • FINALLY HOME FROM WORK!
  • Legendary OT title is legendary
  • 2QdVvuF.gif

NOTES:

Quotes: When a post is quoted, that post counts as an individual post. The subject matter of the post being quoted does not determine where the post goes.
  • If you quote a LFG post with the intention of joining, then your post counts as a LFG post
  • If you quote a LFG post but instead wish the group good luck, your post counts as General Discussion

Sorting Posts Into Multiple Categories:
Everything mentioned in a post is responsible for where it is grouped. One category does not have priority over another.

• Got Scrota's health down but he's lagging so hard right now.
    -This sorts into PvE discussion and Quality of Life
  • What's the best way to glimmer farm? Are any glimmer farm groups running?
    -This sorts into General Discussion and LFG
  • Just got home from work. Who wants to run the NIghtfall? Is it arc burn this week again?
    -This sorts into Off Topic, LFG and PvE discussion
  • Streaming Trials for a bit @ Twitch.tv/TwilightGap. Need one more person.
    -This sorts into Media and LFG; however, does not sort into PvP discussion because the post isn't making conversation about Trials of Osiris.
  • We're dominating people in Trials tonight. Come watch @streamlink
    -This sorts into PvP discussuion and Media.

Sine Wave:
This denotes the mood or tone of a post for illustrating the overall atmosphere of each thread.
  • A Positive comment is denoted with a +
    e.g. Woot bought 3 engrams and got the Ram on the third one.
  • A Negative comment is denoted with a -
    e.g. Bungie must be out of their mind with these editions.
  • A Neutral comment is denoted with a ~
    e.g. I actually like Thieves' Den.

Anyone who's interested should PM me.

Juraash

Yep. It's a Year 2 gun for sure. Definitely pick it up from Xur if you don't have it. Great machine gun as is but definitely looking forward to seeing what's changed in the 2.0 version.

Awesome! I've really come to like machine guns since I came back and I really wanted to buy this one. I definitely don't have one so that will be a guaranteed purchase when I get home later.

E92 M3

Well here's the guidelines currently. It'd be best to weed out any ambiguity or contradictions now so the process goes as smoothly as possible.

DESTINYGAF |OT| POST STATS

Post #
Date: The day the post was made (MM/DD/YY)
Day: The day of the week the most was made (Friday)
Time: The time the post was made (GMT-4)
Poster: The author of the post

General Discussion (GD): Broad conversation about any non-specific topic in Destiny. Includes personal to-do lists, discussion about the individual's Guardian, short comments about Destiny, Trophies and Achievements, and Xur visits.
  • I hope Xur sells Thunderlord tomorrow
  • Warlocks still have the worst jump. It is known.
  • I'm about to log on and farm some glimmer...

Looking For Group (LFG): Any post made with the intention of forming a group with another poster. Includes the posting of Gamertags and PSN IDs.
  • Who wants to Raid?
  • 1 more for Trials
  • I need friends! Add me GT: TheLonelyBoner

PvE Discussion: Any post made discussing cooperative content. This includes Story missions, Strikes, Raids, Prison of Elders, and Patrols. It also includes Lore, Ghost hunting and Grimoire cards, as well as any strategy guides and short comments made about PvP.
  • What's really inside the Traveler?
  • I've had enough of Scrota for one night.
  • Just got a Hawkmoon from a ROC strike. Aww yiss!

PvP Discussion: Any post made discussing competitive content. This includes map discussion, Crucible meta, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, strategy guides and any short comments about PvP.
  • I'm getting the hang of the Messenger in PvP.
  • That feeling when your teammate captures A on Blind Watch...
  • Playing alone - 30 kills. Playing with Twilight - 30 assists

Quality of Life Discussion (QoL): Any post made discussing the framework of the game and the updates that pertain to it. This includes the User Interface, Player Economy, Matchmaking, netcode, Bungie Weekly Updates and Patch Notes.
  • The lag is really bad tonight.
  • I can't believe they are nerfing Gjallarhorn and I just got it.
  • WHERE THE HELL IS THE WEEKLY UPDATE?!

Media: Images, Gifs, Videos and Stream Links related to Destiny.
That arrow though *swoon*
6ccd826d9fc73072f635dcda4c679e11.png

Off-Topic: Nami: Anything not relating to Destiny. This includes conversation between or discussion about members in the thread, meta discussion about the thread itself, short comments, and images that are not related to Destiny.
  • FINALLY HOME FROM WORK!
  • Legendary OT title is legendary
  • iGCpqiLAWfzg8.gif

NOTES:

Quotes: When a post is quoted, that post counts as an individual post. The subject matter of the post being quoted does not determine where the post goes.
  • If you quote a LFG post with the intention of joining, then your post counts as a LFG post
  • If you quote a LFG post but instead wish the group good luck, your post counts as General Discussion

Sorting Posts Into Multiple Categories:
Everything mentioned in a post is responsible for where it is grouped. One category does not have priority over another.

• Got Scrota's health down but he's lagging so hard right now.
    -This sorts into PvE discussion and Quality of Life
  • What's the best way to glimmer farm? Are any glimmer farm groups running?
    -This sorts into General Discussion and LFG
  • Just got home from work. Who wants to run the NIghtfall? Is it arc burn this week again?
    -This sorts into Off Topic, LFG and PvE discussion
  • Streaming Trials for a bit @ Twitch.tv/TwilightGap. Need one more person.
    -This sorts into Media and LFG; however, does not sort into PvP discussion because the post isn't making conversation about Trials of Osiris. However;
  • We're dominating people in Trials tonight. Come watch @ Twitch.tv/TwilightGap.
    -This sorts into PvP discussuion and Media.

Sine Wave:
This denotes the mood or tone of a post for illustrating the overall atmosphere of each thread.
  • A Positive comment is denoted with a +
    e.g. Woot bought 3 engrams and got the Ram on the third one.
  • A Negative comment is denoted with a -
    e.g. Bungie must be out of their mind with these editions.
  • A Neutral comment is denoted with a ~
    e.g. I actually like Thieve's Den.

Anyone who's interested should PM me.

For once this phrase will be used correctly: You're a gentleman and a scholar, Zoba.

Top Bottom