• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

How do we know that chain lightening has elemental damage?

Believed to be this weapon:

Xaa2GZ9.png

gPmbPss.png

X-Frame

Damnit you know it makes sense why they took Mark > Materials exchange away from the Crucible .. There isn't any difference in Vanguard or Crucible marks anymore so it would just take up space on 1 of the vendors.

So might as well just have the exchange on the Vanguard.

I told you all not to worry about crucible q. Master not having mats cause they never showed the hanger npcs during stream. Chill out fellow tin foil hat guardians.

I wasn't particularly worries, but I've been sitting on max marks for weeks now. Felt like a good enough reason to spend them. :p

matmanx1

Is it even worth it to try Skolas this week? Spent hours on him Sunday night and had to go to bed after many close attempts. Still trying to get my triumph.

As someone who cleared him this week with the three of us never having beaten him before I can confidently say yes. Use primaries with the Third Eye perk (like Mida Multi-tool) so you have radar up always. Your main problem is enemy melee so as long as you can keep the mobs away from you you can win. Focus fire with small arms means that even the Captains will go down fairly quickly as long as you can stay out of melee range.

Cozmo confirmed. You still can get mats from the quartermaster.

https://twitter.com/Cozmo23/with_replies?lang=nl

Awesome! Finally we can put that topic to rest and not worry about it.

Klyka

Banned
knowsworthy: For the collectors out there: In 2.0/TTK players can still find Year 1 exotics from Year 1 activities with exotic drops.

Well there it is... So year 2 exotics only drop from year 2 activities.

uh, that says to me that only year 1 drops year 1 but it doesn't mean only year2 drops year 2.

It will probably be like that though :)

darthbob

Well in the video I just watched it didn't have an elemental damage sign next two it's ammo counter. All other elemental damage weapons have that.

I didn't realize that Chain Lightning was a gun, I thought you were talking about the Stormtrance super, whoops

Deku Tree

uh, that says to me that only year 1 drops year 1 but it doesn't mean only year2 drops year 2.

It will probably be like that though :)

In every expansion so far they haven't added any new exotics to old activities with old loot tables. You have no chance of getting a dragons breath from VoG for example. All they did was update the damage of the exotics.

But all year 2 exotics are new or re-mixed.

This image shows a Buff called Overcrank
vy3lgwW.png

Assumed to be the weapons unique perk, as we haven't seen that in any of the new classes skill trees. And thus would lean on it being an exotic.

As someone who cleared him this week with the three of us never having beaten him before I can confidently say yes. Use primaries with the Third Eye perk (like Mida Multi-tool) so you have radar up always. Your main problem is enemy melee so as long as you can keep the mobs away from you you can win. Focus fire with small arms means that even the Captains will go down fairly quickly as long as you can stay out of melee range.

Awesome! Finally we can put that topic to rest and not worry about it.

Going to give it a shot after work. Might as well try.

KxoZz

knowsworthy: For the collectors out there: In 2.0/TTK players can still find Year 1 exotics from Year 1 activities with exotic drops.

To me it makes more sense if Y2 Exotics drop from Y1 & Y2 activities, but Y1 Exotics only drop from Y1 activities

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I find it somewhat humorous how Bungie can manage to divulge all sorts of interesting info, most of it good. And yet still manage to not say enough that it creates panic in the community. I have to imagine, that despite what has been said, most activities that grant marks now will grant marks going forward. Seems so silly that they would introduce all these great new options to get gear, remove the weekly earning cap and then severly hamstring how you get them.

I dunno, I'm not freaking out but I wish they'd just spill full, consice details, good or bad. You would think that after a year + of player feedback (if you count from the alpha) plus dozens of cumulative years of MMO development elsewhere, they'd know how to do this shit.
For the record, I don't think Bungie has any MMO development experience and that includes up to this very day. Regardless, what you're actually acknowledging is a basic inevitability, not unique to bungie or any specific type of detail, but common to any game with a playerbase exceeding a certain size.

Ultimately, for the people to whom they are truly beholden as a business the barometer for whether or not they "know how to do this shit" will be their sales receipts. If the people who sign the checks are happy, then they do, regardless of what the community commentary is at the time. If they aren't, then they don't, even if the community purports to be completely happy with 101% of the changes and communications about them.

I understand the desire to completely maximize efficiency and know everything beforehand for headstart purposes and be able to do everything as quickly and completely as possible from minute one without having to figure anything out as you go. I really do get that, even if from my lonely perspective it feels like a joyless exercise. And I get that the populist solution is "just give it!" with regard to every single detail necessary to parse out whether each and every change is good or bad before getting your hands on them.

But the cold reality is it actually matters very little to Bungie if we know everything know or an hour after release. They've seen little evidence to support the thesis that it would dramatically help them out to get beyond the surface level details in their communications. If this reality makes you feel like you want to not buy The Taken King or cancel your preorder, then that's good. That's how it has to work. That's the strong signal you can send that they aren't providing adequate value to their customers and need to understand a dramatic change in communication practices.

None of this is to say that they can't do better. Of course they can. It just might not feel like as pressing a matter to them as you might think. So it's true, we don't know what the ultimate acquisition rate of Legendary Marks will be when all is said and done. We don't know what the rate needs to be to keep pace with the purchasing needs of the hardcore player, the average player, the median player. We don't know how the new planetary materials economy will shake out. We don't know what activities old or new will be viable, valuable, or required. We don't know which guns from our old stash are coming forward now, we don't know which are coming forward later if ever. We don't know if PvP players will be at a large profit disadvantage or how functional any year 1 piece of gear will or won't be in new content. We don't know all kinds of shit.

That's just how it goes. And more importantly, there will always be things that you, the individual player, don't like. Acquisition rates that aren't fast enough for you, drop rates that seem way too low, progression requirements that seem too burdensome, whole activities, pieces of content or even entire modes that you don't like. Even if Bungie handed out every single byte of information as far in advance as technically possible, some substantial subset of players would be unhappy. So it goes.

I hope Xur continues to sell Year 1 exotics at a decent rate, because I refuse to spend anymore motes on the chest engram this weekend to get the last piece I need for my collection. I think 650 is my limit.

Frostburn

Anyone willing to give me a shot on their Trials team? I've never been to mercury and would love to before The Taken King releases.

happy friday gaf! Meetings all day on my end, so haven't been able to tune in.

Anyone care to distill what I missed today, and what the ToO map is? :) thank you in advance!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
happy friday gaf! Meetings all day on my end, so haven't been able to tune in.

Anyone care to distill what I missed today, and what the ToO map is? :) thank you in advance!
Mats are still purchasable at vanguard vendor
We've got a crack team on deciphering y1 upgradable exotics
Deej shall hence forth be known as Harley Quinn
Edit: Widows court apparently

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Widow's Court
Good map.

Which is a really bad use of Marks since getting mats from other sources is now far cheaper and Marks can be used to purchase Legendary Engrams.
I thin so too. A lot of faux outrage over nothing. Even if this did happen there's soooooooo many more ways to get mats now than in vanilla destiny. It would've been a step backwards but in the long run it wouldn't have been that bad. I still hope we'll never have to see that day.

Axoman

You looking at playing on PS4 or Xbox One? If you're looking at the superior console experience, my gamertag is Trip Like I Do and I'll be playing a lot this weekend
joking, joking
. Also, which part of CO are you from man? I live and work in Denver.

I didn't realize you were in Denver. I'm about 35 minutes north of downtown.

Deku Tree

I think Thorn and SGA will be lost in the dark corners of time (totally unobtainable) once TTK launches... Because they are updating all the bounties and so they must be updating the loot table for it too.

Top Bottom