• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

lt519

But even for us as 33 , PoE 34 was a pain in the ass when we did it.
I can't even imagine how hard 35 has to be then?
I mean, you take massive damage and do so little...

Having two 34s take a 33 through is a massive difference than three or two 33s trying to get through 35. Damage isn't a problem in PoE, there's never a situation where you have to do massive damage output very quickly, it's more a problem of staying alive in the Skolas fight and/or surviving major captains in round 4 and 5. In the Skolas fight if you can't stay alive you are going to make it very difficult for your team, you can manage one person constantly dying, we've done it plenty of times, but with two people dying the essence will eventually wipe you.

I've taken 33s through Skolas several times, including today. It doesn't make much difference on the weeks with the easier modifiers. I would say, though, that you should learn the mechanics and paths of the fight by watching videos if you're that serious about tackling the hardest endgame before 34.

A 33 who knows what to do is going to be easier to carry compared to a 34 who has never seen the fight.

I've posted about this many times but it's based on the level scaling. One level below enemies is a ~32% penalty, two levels is a ~42% penalty. Since we're already forced down a level vs Skolas most of the damage has already been done. It's not too tough to explain the fight, how hard it is to carry people is a combination of their experience, communication, character level and armor, weapon selection and Attack level.

Every good bit helps and every missing bit requires more from the person carrying. A Lv33 with strong, upgraded weapons is better than a Lv34 with sub-300 Attack garbage weapons. A person willing to listen and communicate is the best quality of all.

void666

Banned
All 3 gjallarhorns maxed out. I'm finally a complete guardian.
I'm one of those day one guardians who were never blessed by RNGesus with a gally.
And this odd fact was like a dark cloud over my head. Even after i stopped caring.
Everyone had it but not me. Why?

Well, not anymore. Thank you Xur.

Having two 34s take a 33 through is a massive difference than three or two 33s trying to get through 35. Damage isn't a problem in PoE, there's never a situation where you have to do massive damage output very quickly, it's more a problem of staying alive in the Skolas fight and/or surviving major captains in round 4 and 5. In the Skolas fight if you can't stay alive you are going to make it very difficult for your team, you can manage one person constantly dying, we've done it plenty of times, but with two people dying the essence will eventually wipe you.

It's a lot like Trials. Two really strong players can carry the worst imaginable player, or one really strong player can carry two decent/good players. But three average players might struggle a ton without having a leader. Ultimately the fireteam's average skill level needs to hit a certain threshold to tip the scales in your favor.

Very true about one person vs two people dying. You can still beat Skolas with a ton of deaths as long as the right people die at the right times.

Jafo_

I'm one of those day one guardians who were never blessed by RNGesus with a gally.
And this odd fact was like a dark cloud over my head. Even after i stopped caring.

Do not thank me, the Nine do not need such things

lt519

It's a lot like Trials. Two really strong players can carry the worst imaginable player, or one really strong player can carry two decent/good players. But three average players might struggle a ton without having a leader. Ultimately the fireteam's average skill level needs to hit a certain threshold to tip the scales in your favor.

Very true about one person vs two people dying. You can still beat Skolas with a ton of deaths as long as the right people die at the right times.

Yeah depends on classes too. We've done it with two constantly dying but with both of them being Warlocks. They alternated reviving when both of them dying caused the whole team to wipe, I'd then pop a Gift of the Void bubble and they'd get their revive back very quickly. I think their max weapons were a Thorn and a Vex. There are so many ways to approach that fight depending on your team, that's what makes it so much fun to me!

I've yet to even do regular mode so I'm not ready for hard

You on PS4? Anyone else around looking to raid for the first time? I'd be happy to Sherpa a newbie friendly Normal VoG if we can find people for it.

Sure you are. Get your ass in the fire. It's fun and not THAT much more difficult. With a good group, you'll do just fine.

I understand what you're saying but I always disagree with this idea. Of course he can get carried but I doubt that's what he wants if he's asking for normal raiding. It's not fun to spectate a pro group do the raid for you as a first timer. No revives makes a huge difference.

Of course it's harder to find a normal raid group around here since everyone just wants HM for better loot, so it's a trade off. Ultimately the loot doesn't matter especially with TTK fast approaching so I'd rather have first timers wait for a better experience.

It just wasn't this massive revelation I was expecting it to be from all the hype. I pretty much approach all the content the same still.

Right, but you are a good player who can make smart decisions. The Horn's OPness is only "needed" for bad players who make dumb decisions :p

deoee

If someday you're up to another run with a 33, I'd love to join you ^^
I'm trying the whole weekend to get to 34 but no luck in ToO (4 wins was max >_>) or NF <_>

What do I need to run Skolas?

It's the only thing left for me for the triumphs.

I'm lvl 34, would anyone like to pop my Skolas cherry?

I'll be online on PS4 now. Klyka1

Still looking? It's been a few days since I ran a Skolas, I could do a few runs tonight. I'd like to have at least one first timer per run.

nope. does it work?

Works okay. Nghtly was using it on Friday but it's more for fun, obviously he doesn't need a lot of help from perfect armor. Running blink with Lucky Rasberry or Crest is still way better for normal humans in Trials.

But even for us as 33 , PoE 34 was a pain in the ass when we did it.
I can't even imagine how hard 35 has to be then?
I mean, you take massive damage and do so little...

The damage penalty you are seeing is severe as a 33 to 34 because you are a level under. But being 2 levels under doesn't have nearly the same impact. Your DPS capability, especially with a Horn, is plenty to burn down Skolas. Hell, three 33s with Horns would easily do enough to burn through Skolas' health when rocketing.

The main issue is survivability, but as a 33, you just play cognizant of your disadvantage. You don't put yourself at risk when shooting adds, and you use your super to stay alive (or rez) during the first mine phase of Skolas.

I've posted about this many times but it's based on the level scaling. One level below enemies is a ~32% penalty, two levels is a ~42% penalty. Since we're already forced down a level vs Skolas most of the damage has already been done. It's not too tough to explain the fight, how hard it is to carry people is a combination of their experience, communication, character level and armor, weapon selection and Attack level.

Every good bit helps and every missing bit requires more from the person carrying. A Lv33 with strong, upgraded weapons is better than a Lv34 with sub-300 Attack garbage weapons. A person willing to listen and communicate is the best quality of all.

Every variable adds up in one way or another. But for Skolas, specifically, I think staying alive is all that's really needed on the part of the carried. Risk-aversion is a virtue in that encounter. I'm confident two skilled players could fairly easily carry someone who never once fired a gun in the Skolas fight if that person was able to simply survive a few poison cycles.

Deku Tree

I wanted chatterwhite from nm VoG which I dismantled a while back due to lack of space. I had to jump into an LFG raid to find a group. It was a good team.

8 wins on my first Trials passage, got 2 Etheric Lights and a Scholar. I'm 34 now, not sure what to use the Lights on...thinking Found Verdict for one. Now I can try 34 PoE later.

Thanks Inapplicable and everyone else who helped.

Ah nice, they got you to 8 wins! Didn't manage to get to Mercury though?

Sorry we couldn't get you there ourselves, we were really tired after doing 10 runs or so over the weekend.

Klyka

Banned
Still looking? It's been a few days since I ran a Skolas, I could do a few runs tonight. I'd like to have at least one first timer per run.

Works okay. Nghtly was using it on Friday but it's more for fun, obviously he doesn't need a lot of help from perfect armor. Running blink with Lucky Rasberry or Crest is still way better for normal humans in Trials.

I am indeed still looking but I feel it might be getting too late for me. When would you start? How long does it take usually?

Go forth, Guardian. Go forth and rocket every fucking thing you see.

Every variable adds up in one way or another. But for Skolas, specifically, I think staying alive is all that's really needed on the part of the carried. Risk-aversion is a virtue in that encounter. I'm confident two skilled players could fairly easily carry someone who never once fired a gun in the Skolas fight if that person was able to simply survive a few poison cycles.

Oh, absolutely. As long as people keep moving, and know how to run around the edges of the arena, they shouldn't be taking much damage. Defusing that center mine is the only tricky part, so having the pro player handle that is the only important part.

I wish the end game results screens showed how much damage each player did to the boss. It would be pretty damn funny on some runs.

lt519

We had a 4.0 K/D on our last carry while ours were in the high teens. It was pretty much that situation. He'd take out a couple adds, die, we'd run around, revive, rinse repeat. I bet we could find a place for a 33 to hide and not get hit and just visit him for passing the essence off a couple times and still beat it. I'd be curious if this were possible.

If someday you're up to another run with a 33, I'd love to join you ^^
I'm trying the whole weekend to get to 34 but no luck in ToO (4 wins was max >_>) or NF <_>

What exactly do you need to get to 34? I'd rather help you get there through a PoE 34 or 32 and then do Skolas.

I wish the end game results screens showed how much damage each player did to the boss. It would be pretty damn funny on some runs.

I've been screaming for this to be a thing for so long now. I hate when the kills screen shows up and I have no deaths but only 5 kills while my teammates have 50 kills each and it looks like I did nothing but the whole time I was sniping the boss. The heckling would be more bearable (; and yes I see the irony with my comment like 5 lines above this one. Bungie in Myth II had a great game mode called Body Count and the scoring was based on the damage you did to opponents not number of kills or objectives. While it wasn't a great game type it was still a stat they tracked for all other game modes as well.

Furyous

I will not be unprepared next time so I'm grinding strange coins. What are some good control settings for PS4? I changed sensitiivty to 1 and instantly made two headshots in PvP.

Once again, I'm hating on everyone with dat 'horn and hope it gets nerfed ASAP. *stomps feet on the ground*

I'm not doing too bad in the game running all legendaries. Is RNGesus completely over with the next update or will it be around stil;?

deoee

We had a 4.0 K/D on our last carry while ours were in the high teens. It was pretty much that situation. He'd take out a couple adds, die, we'd run around, revive, rinse repeat. I bet we could find a place for a 33 to hide and not get hit and just visit him for passing the essence off a couple times and still beat it. I'd be curious if this were possible.

What exactly do you need to get to 34? I'd rather help you get there through a PoE 34 or 32 and then do Skolas.

I need either 5 ToO wins or ... yeah an Etheric Light drop (I currently have one so I should get the needed one next reset) but I'm still trying before the reset happens^^

Owensboro

Anyone got a hard Gorgon's checkpoint they could share for the chest?

Or know of a website or something full of people sharing them? I could have sworn I stumbled on one a month ago and I can't remember it.

I am indeed still looking but I feel it might be getting too late for me. When would you start? How long does it take usually?

I could start a run now. Takes a minimum of 45 minutes. With newbie runs, it's usually an hour to an hour 15, tops.

I'll do VoG Normal. PSN: HTVfanatic

How long are you available? I might do a Skolas run now while we wait to see if more people are interested in a NM VoG run.

I understand what you're saying but I always disagree with this idea. Of course he can get carried but I doubt that's what he wants if he's asking for normal raiding. It's not fun to spectate a pro group do the raid for you as a first timer. No revives makes a huge difference.

Of course it's harder to find a normal raid group around here since everyone just wants HM for better loot, so it's a trade off. Ultimately the loot doesn't matter especially with TTK fast approaching so I'd rather have first timers wait for a better experience.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I didn't say anything about being carried. When I said good group, I simply meant fun, patient, and competent. If he feels comfortable in a NF at 32, he should feel more than comfortable in a lvl 30 raid.

deoee

The damage penalty you are seeing is severe as a 33 to 34 because you are a level under. But being 2 levels under doesn't have nearly the same impact. Your DPS capability, especially with a Horn, is plenty to burn down Skolas. Hell, three 33s with Horns would easily do enough to burn through Skolas' health when rocketing.

The main issue is survivability, but as a 33, you just play cognizant of your disadvantage. You don't put yourself at risk when shooting adds, and you use your super to stay alive (or rez) during the first mine phase of Skolas.

Yeah, the Horn dmg is crazy. That's how we beat PoE 34 as 33. I still don't have my horn maxed since I just got it from the holy Xur so the max horn isn't an option :D

And for survivability, invisible bladedancers are really great for some revive actions :)

How long are you available? I might do a Skolas run now while we wait to see if more people are interested in a NM VoG run.

Im not a first timer, but Im willing to help out. Ill be around for the next 6 hours or so. If you want to take a newbie through Skolas, I still need it for my year one triumph :)

deoee

I could start a run now. Takes a minimum of 45 minutes. With newbie runs, it's usually an hour to an hour 15, tops.

Is a 33 ok too :eek:?

hew9753

Damn, all this Skolas talk and I won't be able to run it until later, maybe after 9 or 10 EST. Anyone going to be on that late tonight?

This is the last thing I need to do for Triumphs.

Top Bottom