• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Akai XIII

Nice video about the inspirations in Destiny.

http://youtu.be/guFN8Nuz3cs
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny sparks;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye
'Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveller in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Klyka

Banned
Happy Birthday ruthless!

Hey I know where the black garden is...
... It's inside the Traveller!

Nah.
After you kill the heart, you are still inside the Black Garden and Ghost said "we are back on Mars!"

It's just an area inside Mars, probably created by the Traveller

Morning anyone want to play PvP preferably doubles/skirmish?

Sounds good. Lets start it.

That was some extremely fun Skirmish domination. Everything from Skele7on's NLB 1-shot, 2-kills to that BDancer triple-team beat down at the end, great games.

Now I'm mad we scrubbed up that first Skirmish game Ray. Between the Mercury run and the Kadey+Drubbed Skirmish train, we went 33-1 today my good man. Well done!

Also, the last few pages have been beautiful. From the gifs to Ray getting his ass handed to him by his white whale, more of this, less of the mindless spam please =D.

Preach it Tears, +1 to this sir.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the breadth of changes this game is undergoing in a few weeks.

• The entire sandbox is being rebalanced. Literally every weapon anyone has had a problem with is being tweaked. They're even adjusting the classes - it's finally happening.
  • Every piece of content is being tied to Quests - something that barely exists in the game currently. It's going to radically change the way the original story is presented (or at least help it make sense).
  • The leveling system has been overhauled. Grinding 1-20 was tedious when you wanted to make an alt; however, there was a sense of progression that was lost when the game became about chasing marginally better pieces of gear. Now that anything contributes XP, it wont be a waste of time to hop into Patrol or Strikes to grind. Making an alt might not be tedious anymore because anything you do can level you up.
  • What will contribute to that enjoyment more than anything are the revisions they're making to some of the existing levels along with the shift in direction for the new ones. Strikes have objectives now and the new bosses don't appear to be giant stationary bullet sponges.
  • The stats on the gear are being reworked. We actually have builds now where we can pick up armor and specialize into certain elements. Every piece of gear now has meaning and its benefits are more accessible to players.
  • Collections completely change how players go about storing the items they value. It also encourages them to continue chasing new things.
  • The subtle UI changes like tracking bounties.
  • Gunsmith is no longer unemployed. Thanks Obama.

The way the game is played is becoming more profound, and that's just what's changing for the old stuff. The new stuff on top of that:

• New music, new cinematics, and maybe an actual story that will take more than 40 minutes to clear.
  • A new Vault of Glass like Raid for the community to discover all over again. The last Raid came out in December and really only frustrated players.
  • MOTHAFUCKIN' SWORDS!
  • New subclasses to learn, master and rage at in PvP
  • A bunch of new PvP maps and modes to lag on.
  • Emotes. 'nuff said.

whew.png

There's at least half a dozen more things I'm forgetting and that's just what we know. Destiny as we know it is about to become Destiny as we wanted to begin with. Maybe that doesn't excite people who were let down by the barebones launch, but to me it means the game is getting closer to Bungie's ambitious original vision.

I've only been overwhelmingly hyped for Destiny twice - the first time it was announced, and the moment the alpha downloaded onto my PS4.

This is the third time.

I started to read it...

Confluxes: This was definitely the most difficult section. Requires clean shooting, management of the heavy glitch

...and then I fell asleep from boredom.

You do the Traveller's work buddy.

Seriously, mad kudos to you!

haha thanks dude, I do what I can. The game is a lot of fun and I enjoy all the great people I play it with, it's a win-win.

Hahahaha drizz pls do the chests for me too :)

What lies has Ocean been telling you?

I like to help people, but ... not like this.... not like this.

Deku Tree

Nah.
After you kill the heart, you are still inside the Black Garden and Ghost said "we are back on Mars!"

It's just an area inside Mars, probably created by the Traveller

Your explanation is self contradictory

if you believe the "we are back on Mars!" line then you have to believe that you were not on Mars before.

I started to read it...

...and then I fell asleep from boredom.

haha thanks dude, I do what I can. The game is a lot of fun and I enjoy all the great people I play it with, it's a win-win.

What lies has Ocean been telling you?

I like to help people, but ... not like this.... not like this.
Still impressive

GhaleonEB

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the breadth of changes this game is undergoing in a few weeks.

• The entire sandbox is being rebalanced. Literally every weapon anyone has had a problem with is being tweaked. They're even adjusting the classes - it's finally happening.
  • Every piece of content is being tied to Quests - something that barely exists in the game currently. It's going to radically change the way the original story is presented (or at least help it make sense).
  • The leveling system has been overhauled. Grinding 1-20 was tedious when you wanted to make an alt; however, there was a sense of progression that was lost when the game became about chasing marginally better pieces of gear. Now that anything contributes XP, it wont be a waste of time to hop into Patrol or Strikes to grind. Making an alt might not be tedious anymore because anything you do can level you up.
  • What will contribute to that enjoyment more than anything are the revisions they're making to some of the existing levels along with the shift in direction for the new ones. Strikes have objectives now and the new bosses don't appear to be giant stationary bullet sponges.
  • The stats on the gear are being reworked. We actually have builds now where we can pick up armor and specialize into certain elements. Every piece of gear now has meaning and its benefits are more accessible to players.
  • Collections completely change how players go about storing the items they value. It also encourages them to continue chasing new things.

The way the game is played is becoming more profound, and that's just what's changing for the old stuff. The new stuff on top of that:

• New music, new cinematics, and maybe an actual story that will take more than 40 minutes to clear.
  • A new Vault of Glass like Raid for the community to discover all over again. The last Raid came out in December and really only frustrated players.
  • MOTHAFUCKIN' SWORDS!
  • Emotes. 'nuff said.

whew.png

There's at least half a dozen more things I'm forgetting and that's just what we know. Destiny as we know it is about to become Destiny as we wanted to begin with. Maybe that doesn't excite people who were let down by the barebones launch, but to me it means the game is getting closer to Bungie's ambitious original vision.
The breadth of the Taken King updates to base content and systems has really surprised me. I think Bungie has been pretty willing - surprisingly willing - to upend or outright ditch a lot of their original ideas. Much comes straight from feedback, but I think a lot of it comes from them having a more clear vision for what the game is and how to tie everything together. It might be because of how limited they were in their ability to make changes to their prior games - remember Reach, where they could not swap a rocket Hog for a gun Hog on a Firefight map - but they seem to have total flexibility to change every aspect of the game, it's just a matter of resources and priorities. We're just one year out and they're rebuilding the entire game from the ground up. I've never seen anything like it.

As such I'm excited not just for new content in Destiny, but for how it's going to continue to evolve. I'm actually excited to bring a new character up through the early content. Until a few weeks ago, I'd never have thought that.

todd360

Its weird reading "thanks Obama" in non-american posts. Obama is a popular guy. I'm going to miss him once his term is over.

Obama chuckled. You mean the strange coins?

Trakan

Strikes have objectives now and the new bosses don't appear to be giant stationary bullet sponges.

I'm curious about the strike changes. As of right now, you go through a mindless boring strike for a shitty chance at loot. If they make the new strikes more fun to play and add replayability that's great, but I'm not going to grind strikes that take infinitely longer to complete with raid-lite mechanics for the same shitty chance at loot.

Deku Tree

So many level 34 people are going to have 20 PE packages in the postmaster and ten 5K bounties ready to turn in and reach level 40 in the first hour of TTK... I am ready for all the "that's it" posts.

Kyoufu

So many level 34 people are going to have 20 PE packages in the postmaster and ten 5K bounties ready to turn in and reach level 40 in the first hour of TTK... I am ready for all the "that's it" posts.

All those PE packages will be replaced by commendations I bet.

Klyka

Banned

if you believe the "we are back on Mars!" line then you have to believe that you were not on Mars before.

He says he can't read where you are, that this place is "Outside time and space" but then at the end all of it exists on/inside Mars. So I think the place was created on Mars, when the heart was put there it got kicked "outside time and space" and then after heart is gone it returns to it's proper place in time and space.

The breadth of the Taken King updates to base content and systems has really surprised me. I think Bungie has been pretty willing - surprisingly willing - to upend or outright ditch a lot of their original ideas. Much comes straight from feedback, but I think a lot of it comes from them having a more clear vision for what the game is and how to tie everything together. It might be because of how limited they were in their ability to make changes to their prior games - remember Reach, where they could not swap a rocket Hog for a gun Hog on a Firefight map - but they seem to have total flexibility to change every aspect of the game, it's just a matter of resources and priorities. We're just one year out and they're rebuilding the entire game from the ground up. I've never seen anything like it.

As such I'm excited not just for new content in Destiny, but for how it's going to continue to evolve. I'm actually excited to bring a new character up through the early content. Until a few weeks ago, I'd never have thought that.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about deleting all of my characters and starting over (it certainly wouldn't be the first time). . Well, I'll probably use the boost on my Warlock because the early glides on that class are super dull. Nevertheless, it really does seem like the game is being relaunched and I think it'd be nice to experience it like a new player would again.

I feel that the changes we're seeing to the game are not only the result of them having a more clear vision for where they want to take Destiny (and what the fans expect from it), but also due to the evolving tech. It's clear that Bungie has been developing backend systems behind the scenes that enable them to tweak the live game in ways they weren't able to do at launch, and certainly never before in their Halo games. Destiny now is more flexible than it was last year, so we may even start seeing large QoL updates more regularly.

And they've already added a lot to the game. We launched without audio options, voice chat, or colorblind options. It seems like players take them for granted and often forget that - while they should indeed have launched with the game - Bungie managed to implement them fairly soon after release.

It makes me wonder how far "Raid Matchmaking" or custom games are away.

Do we really need to spoiler tag vanilla plot by OT 28?

I always figured that when you go through the gate, you are going into a time bubbled / alternate reality section of Mars similar to the Vault on Venus, which is why your ghost doesn't register your location when you enter. After you wrest control from the Vex, you return to normal time and space, going "back to Mars".

todd360

You get a 30 minute 50% exp boost. You can use it as its a bungie code. And you acquire them on a red bull from America.
Or ebay. Or maybe someone here can help you out

And like a exclusive quest in TTK.

I keep forgetting about the exclusive quest. I'm gonna have to hunt a unused code down at some point. There are redbulls in a vending machine where I work, but I never see any destiny branding on them.

Kyoufu

20 more commendations that give 250 rep each? So 2.5 more DO rank ups per toon or 7.5 more rank ups total? Sounds good too IMO.

How much rep do you think 5 motes of light, 25 weapon/armor parts, 3 special ammo synth and 1 heavy ammo synth will give each?

deafmedal

Question: What exactly do I get out of a Red Bull code? Can I use it in Germany? And where could I acquire one?

Want one? I have *ahem* a few... :)

Two week break successful. Having less fun with Witcher 3. I think I just don't care for fantasy settings in games and the combat is meh. Big maps tho, and some of the stories/characters are neat. I wonder if I'll finish it before TTK
or ever...

Wallach

• MOTHAFUCKIN' SWORDS!
  • Emotes. 'nuff said.

whew.png

I've only been overwhelmingly hyped for Destiny twice - the first time it was announced, and the moment the alpha downloaded onto my PS4.

This is the third time.

Right now one thing I'm most curious about are the older subclass changes. Particularly the one closest to my heart, Striker. Flashbangs alone make them so useful that it wouldn't take much to make them a fantastic PvE class.

SpecX

I keep forgetting about the exclusive quest. I'm gonna have to hunt a unused code down at some point. There are redbulls in a vending machine where I work, but I never see any destiny branding on them.
I'm heading to the store right now to pickup some things. I'll grab one and pm you the code. I usually pickup a red bull for my wife and I for Sunday chores. Anyone else need one?

Top Bottom