• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Any Tweets yet from bungie about if we will get Legendary marks from normal PVP play? Have been away for a few days and not kept up with the news. They better not fuck with this as I wont be getting any legendary marks as I dont play a lot of PVE shit.

GutZ31

Any Tweets yet from bungie about if we will get Legendary marks from normal PVP play? Have been away for a few days and not kept up with the news. They better not fuck with this as I wont be getting any legendary marks as I dont play a lot of PVE shit.

They made it fairly clear, no matter what your cup of tea is, you will be able to advance forward.
Legendary marks are the pool of both PvE, and PvP activities.
They will be given from bounties, quests, and game modes randomly.
Quests for PvP are a thing.

They made it fairly clear, no matter what your cup of tea is, you will be able to advance forward.
Legendary marks are the pool of both PvE, and PvP activities.
They will be given from bounties, quests, and game modes randomly.
Quests for PvP are a thing.

Where's my quest to go back in time and kill Dredgen Yor?

Hey Zoba, concerning what I bolded, where did you hear that they're tweaking the classes? Do you mean the existing sub-classes like Striker/Defender? Or do you mean just Blink?

am referring to this update from October https://www.bungie.net/en/news/news?aid=12283

where they mentioned "We're still working on a larger update which will address under-performing Exotics and overall class balance."

The latter part of that statement never came to fruition, unless it was referring to weapon classes and not player classes.

In the weapon tuning update https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13147

"At times, we looked into rolling out one or two of these changes in advance of the 2.0.0 update; addressing Shotgun perks when Felwinter’s Lie became popular, addressing Thorn when it became the popular choice for Trials of Osiris. We heard your voices and we felt your pain, but plucking a few meatballs out of this massive plate of spaghetti proved to be very risky. These changes are all very dependent upon each other to be successful, and after careful consideration we decided the best road ahead was to present them all together as a full update."

If the October statement was referring to player classes, then the weapon tuning one could be inferred to also be referencing the classes. The last part in particular is something I've stood by since nerfs of the "Hand Cannon Trinity" were called for. Nerfing those without nerfing Blink would have had adverse effects on the game. A blink change is already confirmed and I don't think it's unlikely that the rest of the classes will see changes. Blink is really the only one that affects PvP however. Any other balances would be done to PvE, like making Golden Gun and Arc Blade more useful against minions of the darkness. It's possible they might tweak the Sunsinger's Viking Funeral DoT as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
LT, I'm about to hop on in a few. Up for whatever, will be leveling the Eidolon and looking for golden chests in the meantime.

Just send me a PSN message if you wanna group up.

Mindlog

"At times, we looked into rolling out one or two of these changes in advance of the 2.0.0 update; addressing Shotgun perks when Felwinter’s Lie became popular, addressing Thorn when it became the popular choice for Trials of Osiris. We heard your voices and we felt your pain, but plucking a few meatballs out of this massive plate of spaghetti proved to be very risky. These changes are all very dependent upon each other to be successful, and after careful consideration we decided the best road ahead was to present them all together as a full update."
Really not sure they have that right. They have no idea what those changes are going to do in the live game and taking massive swings trying to address those issues is risky. Then we have to wait months for them to clean everything up. That's why Thorn got buffed when it shouldn't have been, shotguns got a 100% damage buff PvE and Fusion Rifle nerfery is never ending.

It should be 2 months tops between modest balance updates. Egregious errors shouldn't be allowed to dominate 6+ months at a time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really not sure they have that right. They have no idea what those changes are going to do in the live game and taking massive swings trying to address those issues is risky. Then we have to wait months for them to clean everything up. That's why Thorn got buffed when it shouldn't have been, shotguns got a 100% damage buff PvE and Fusion Rifle nerfery is never ending.

It should be 2 months tops between modest balance updates. Egregious errors shouldn't be allowed to dominate 6+ months at a time.

I actually think dramatically shaking up the meta more rarely is much more enjoyable for the player. Everything is risky when you make changes to a system, and more frequent modest updates to slightly tweak things after a big shakeup are not unwise. But I'm glad that the meta will, one hopes, look compleeetely different after this release, and I personally hope this isn't the last time it happens before Destiny is ended.

Thorn got buffed because there were an enormous amount of fans asking for it. Shotguns deserved their buff even if slightly scaling it back is still a good idea, and close range fusion rifles are being buffed.

That's a good point and it's a wonder why Bungie hasn't looked into a beta playlist of sorts where they are able to preview upcoming changes in the live game before applying them globally.

I was just speaking to the fact that there were more changes that needed to be made aside from nerfing the Hand Cannons. Had they planned to do it, they absolutely could have rolled those changes out in succession on a monthly basis. Whether they would have ultimately benefited the game however remains to be seen since we're accustomed to longer periods between such updates.

I hope they aren't adhering to their "seasonal" philosophy of giving everyone weapon archetype "its own age". As annoying as the Hand Cannon age has been, it'll be a shame to see the weapon once again useless. It wasn't long ago where they were the worst class in the game.

Mupod

I'm really feeling this Messenger thing - it's easier than I thought to get two-burst kills. Now I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to use my exotic slot for. This Dead Orbit rocket launcher you guys all told me sucked has been more than sufficient so putting Gjallarhorn there seems like a bit of a waste. And I can't think of anything better than Matador or Her Benevolence although I've been making Plan C work for me. Actually maybe I should just stick with the fusion rifle in anticipation of the buffs.

Thanks to Drizzay and Wicked for a Mercury run earlier today. RNG blessed me with my third Scholar, a Solar dupe. Was hoping for Void but thats the breaks. You guys are the best.

Ghaleon, can you do anything about getting Wicked's GAF account approved?

I actually think dramatically shaking up the meta more rarely is much more enjoyable for the player. Everything is risky when you make changes to a system, and more frequent modest updates to slightly tweak things after a big shakeup are not unwise. But I'm glad that the meta will, one hopes, look compleeetely different after this release, and I personally hope this isn't the last time it happens before Destiny is ended.

Thorn got buffed because there were an enormous amount of fans asking for it. Shotguns deserved their buff even if slightly scaling it back is still a good idea, and close range fusion rifles are being buffed.

Im growing on the fact that HCs and Scouts will really serve different purposes now. I dont think HCs should be useless at range, but i always expected them to be the weapon of choice for players closer to the action. What they have been able to do instead was nothing short of ridiculous, and that goes for PvE as well. Before the first nerf, there was no reason to use anything other than Fatebringer. It's still a good HC, but you'll want to be closer while the Scouts cover you from afar.

It's exciting to see the game move out of shallow water.

Juraash

Anything fun going on? I'm garbage at PVP, so I'd say don't invite me for that but I'd be down for other stuff. Otherwise it's dragon playlist.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Im growing on the fact that HCd and Scouts will really serve differeny purposes now. I dont think HCs should be useless at range, but i always expected them to be the weapon of choice for players closer to the action. What they have been able to do instead was nothing short of ridiculous, and that goes for PvE as well. Before the first nerf, there was no reason to use anything other than Fatebringer. It's still a good HC, but you'll want to be closer while the Scouts cover you from afar.

Definitely.

You can find a comment of mine somewhere in the first or second OT suggesting that it seemed a lot like Hand Cannons really ought to use special ammo. They were lifesavers in any situation.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wouldn't saving cryptarch packages and legendary engrams help you level up the cryptarch quickly once TTK comes out?

Even if the gear is HoW gear the cryptarch will still level up quick and provide TTK engrams!
I'm a genius!

Im growing on the fact that HCs and Scouts will really serve different purposes now. I dont think HCs should be useless at range, but i always expected them to be the weapon of choice for players closer to the action. What they have been able to do instead was nothing short of ridiculous, and that goes for PvE as well. Before the first nerf, there was no reason to use anything other than Fatebringer. It's still a good HC, but you'll want to be closer while the Scouts cover you from afar.

Ill be happy with any meta that doesnt leave me dead before im able to draw my weopon.

Hopefully scouts will now be on par with the messenger hp style play

Mindlog

As always my experience with this type of game is tinged with Mass Effect MP, but I'm a HUGE fan of micro/nearly superficial balance changes.

Imagine hearing that next week:
Dr. Nope - 5% RoF increase
One/One Synesthete - Mag Increase 15%
Fusion Rifles - Charge Time +5% and Time between bolts reduced 15%

Even changes that don't fundamentally shakes things up will have players out there testing them out for themselves. It does a great job promoting weapon variety. The new bounties should do a great job of that as well.
That's a good point and it's a wonder why Bungie hasn't looked into a beta playlist of sorts where they are able to preview upcoming changes in the live game before applying them globally.

I was just speaking to the fact that there were more changes that needed to be made aside from nerfing the Hand Cannons. Had they planned to do it, they absolutely could have rolled those changes out in succession on a monthly basis. Whether they would have ultimately benefited the game however remains to be seen since we're accustomed to longer periods between such updates.

I hope they aren't adhering to their "seasonal" philosophy of giving everyone weapon archetype "its own age". As annoying as the Hand Cannon age has been, it'll be a shame to see the weapon once again useless. It wasn't long ago where they were the worst class in the game.
Agreed completely. Didn't mean to interject with the earlier conversation just with the Bungie POV.

Also, we need more void exotics!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As always my experience with this type of game is tinged with Mass Effect MP, but I'm a HUGE fan of micro/nearly superficial balance changes.

Imagine hearing that next week:
Dr. Nope - 5% RoF increase
One/One Synesthete - Mag Increase 15%
Fusion Rifles - Charge Time +5% and Time between bolts reduced 15%
Yeah, I generally wouldn't like this kind of thing. I get how and why people who are more competitive/serious players would though, definitely.

Absolutely, totally hyped for the bounties coming in that vein though.

I just want to have fun in the crucible again. I want to use a gun for awhile and not feel like I'm being forced to use very few weapons in my arsenal. It's what I hope they change in 2.0

Top Bottom