• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

WipedOut

my favorites

Shattered Cloak due to it changing with shaders but my fave is still the original Iron Banner cloak. That with Bittersteel is Ah-mazing.

11908233_10207610721090935_168252708_n.jpg

X-Frame

If I turn in Bad Juju's exotic bounty after 9/15, should I expect to get a Year 2 version?

I have a feeling like all current exotic bounties are going away or being re-worked, so I'm not hopeful.

I dont think I have ever seen the Frumious cloak. what rarety is it? Can you still get?

Pleiades Hood was made for female hunters only. that would look downright silly on a male hunter

You can only pick up white class items either by buying them from the Cryptarch or by decrypting engrams on a level 1-4 character. It's the same for green and blue items through level 5-10. I think Frumious Cloak is level 8 or 9 so you have to decrypt a class item on hunter around that level to find it. The pool for available cloaks changes every 5 or so levels.

LTWood12

Hmm a little tricky to say due to spawn order RNG and timing. For example if the upper mine spawns first you wouldn't want your Warlock to have used their self-res for that. The mines spawn slowly enough that it'd be risky for the Hunter and Titan to only be able to exchange once. If the upper mine spawns last then I'd guess one of them would have to die w the taint. The Warlock would have to meet up with the survivor w/o self-res, which could be risky.

Personally I always activate the mines from the bottom balcony with everyone together. There's a 67% chance that the first mine will be close. If it spawns far away (top), you can either move right (cliff side) as a group or make sure your Hunter is immune and have them Blade Dance straight across to it. Some people aren't as comfortable using BD for mobility but it should take 12 seconds to reach and 8 seconds to dismantle with invisibility to stay safe, plenty of time.

Titan should always pop a Bubble on the middle mine. If Titan is immune, they can go by themselves. Otherwise the person who needs to exchange taint has to go with them. Warlock should use self-res to die w the taint and buy everyone some time before Skolas re-taints, although it's even better if they don't have to use it. Ultimately the mine RNG means people have to stay alert and communicate. After first mines, get his health down to the "k" in Skolas. Make sure everyone has full rockets, burn him down then clear the second mines in peace. Works well even on Small Arms week.

This is the way to get it done and gives you the best odds against mine RNG. But can't emphasize enough that the fireteam needs to have enough space between them when burning down Skolas w/ rockets. Bottom Balcony is an easy place to accidentally kill yourself. Someone in our fireteam blew themselves up immediately as we spawned the second set of mines (leaving only two of us doing DPS w/ a small arms heavy nerf). The one who died (Hunter) was up for taking the devouring essence from me (Titan), and the Warlock was immune. So Hunter blows self up. I die to DE 12 seconds later. Wiped w/ Skolas at about 4% health.

Granted, it was the worst possible combination of things happening. If I had blown myself up for instance, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad because I already had the debuff anyway. If the Warlock had died, he could self-res.

Haha. I'm always impressed with the DGAFers who are married and still able to put a good chunk of time in to Destiny.

My wife is amazing and always supportive of my interests. She doesn't game much but asks me to tell her "Destiny stories" about what I've been up to, or tell her how the thread is going. It works great, but wouldn't be possible if we had kids. I don't know how parents do anything, least of all find gaming time :p

Drizzy = scientist

Maybe I should do Skolas with you to try to grab a Bow. :)

Haha well that is accurate...

I'm always down to do some Skolas w the Colonel! In my experience the Elder Cipher drop rate is extremely high while the elemental primary rate is obviously garbage. The exotics are better for collection purposes anyway.

Tovarisc

Seeing these cloaks just reminds me how pathetic bonds are as class item, so tiny that no one never notices them and because of size they are very limited in designs. Why warlocks couldn't get e.g. gauntlet and sleeve combo that would have been on right hand?

So are we suppose to get some new info today? Xur? Teaser for tomorrows stream ?

Sincwe tomorrows stream is the strike. I hope they clear up the info on the strike playlist.
also, Xur seems like a pretty big unknown right now. Im sure he is changing for year 2. but how. I hope he:
1. sells versions of year 2 exotics only.
2. Sells at least 1 new exotic each week.
3. has weapon engrams!
4. has a new item. (three coins) get rid of the telemetries. now that the gunsmith has it,

I have every year one exotic weapon maxed out. and 60 exotic shards, and about 700 strange coins. im ready for Xur! as long as he has stuff we want. I would be nice to be excited for Xurs weekly visit again

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Had a fun trials match with iRawr yesterday. 6 Warlocks... yeah. I swear this is the most scummiest class in Destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBaHo0cVV8

My wife is amazing and always supportive of my interests. She doesn't game much but asks me to tell her "Destiny stories" about what I've been up to, or tell her how the thread is going. It works great, but wouldn't be possible if we had kids. I don't know how parents do anything, least of all find gaming time :p
Well that's because people can just listen to you talk about Destiny all day :p

Lol, I stayed up the entire night to get my Trials wins and knock out some stuff at reset... ended up falling asleep on the couch with the controller in my hand at like 4:30.
Thanks again to Drizzy and xo for the carry!

Brawler and Juggler. Excellent.

science? ltwood? drizz? Who's steamrolling Skolas for with me tonight (in about 9 hours)?

Haha I'll be around tonight Skolas'ing it up. Trying to prioritize first timers but happy to help anyone and everyone if the timing works out.

Kid goes to bed at 7:30pm, gotta do a little housework, responsible things after that, but I'm free the rest of the night. Per WastedOnDestiny.com, I'm at 392 hours, which I thought was a lot til I checked yours (nearing 2000).

If you can believe it, pregnancy is harder than having kids. Pregnancy can be a hell of a debuff. When the kid arrives, you have two adults working, so it's not near as bad.

Nuszka

I actually had a discussion about it this morning, and have to agree with Xo that he most likely will not sell the old/"new" 2.0 exotics as it has tTK icon so the lot that do not have the expansions will be left out completely. He will sell one new exotic like in a similar fashion he does now but for any refreshed stuff we will have to fork out legendary marks.

LkPr

Haha I'll be around tonight Skolas'ing it up. Trying to prioritize first timers but happy to help anyone and everyone if the timing works out.

If you are taking first timers into Skolas I would love to join to get my triumph. Lvl 34 warlock. Could be available after 9PM EST.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
  1. Gonna wear exotic class items
  2. Pop the red bull consumable
  3. Got all my bounties done but not cashed
  4. Nightfall boost
  5. Gonna make sure all factions are just before their upgrade point (so when I turn bounties in a get weapon packages from all factions, on different guardians)
  6. have 200 vanguard and crucible marks for each character.

Missing anything?

ocean

Banned
Sincwe tomorrows stream is the strike. I hope they clear up the info on the strike playlist.
also, Xur seems like a pretty big unknown right now. Im sure he is changing for year 2. but how. I hope he:
2. Sells at least 1 new exotic each week.
3. has weapon engrams!
4. has a new item. (three coins) get rid of the telemetries. now that the gunsmith has it,

I have every year one exotic weapon maxed out. and 60 exotic shards, and about 700 strange coins. im ready for Xur! as long as he has stuff we want. I would be nice to be excited for Xurs weekly visit again
I think selling only TTK Exotics and having something new each week would be crazy. They'd run out of stuff super quickly.

Remember the Exotic loot table includes stuff that Xur can't sell, like PS exclusives, bounty weapons, and Raid drops. Right now these account for half of the Exotic weapons in the game for instance.

I think the way Xur sold gear during year 1 was perfect. He sold every single weapon in his table twice or more over the span of a year, and every single armor piece (except the Ram, which will inevitably come this week or the next).

He gets a ton of shit but he sold every single thing. People always complained. I just hope he gets something new to sell that makes him enticing.

I have all the loot and still run NF. Whether I get a crappy Auto Rifle x3 or a Gjallarhorn in each run is literally no difference to me. I still run them for the rep boost. Likewise, I'd love Xur selling something compelling beyond his "main objective" of selling Exotics.

stb

The stars are aligning.

Is there a YT vid of a clean run with the strategy you use so I can "study" at work? I've read the descriptions, but I'm more visual. I could read it 1,000 times, but if I see it once, I'm much better off.

[*]Nightfall boost
  4. Gonna make sure all factions are just before their upgrade point (so when I turn bounties in a get weapon packages from all factions)
  5. have 200 vanguard and crucible marks for each character.

Missing anything?

The nightfall will likely be level 40, so you'll probably have to wait on that.

phen0m24

Haha well that is accurate...

I'm always down to do some Skolas w the Colonel! In my experience the Elder Cipher drop rate is extremely high while the elemental primary rate is obviously garbage. The exotics are better for collection purposes anyway.

When kids sleep or are old enough to play too... :)

Let's do one DD! Haven't tried since that fateful night when Noomi Fig and I tested the bonds of friendship trying to kill him... Finally did, thankfully :)

Rob, rawr is watching. He tweets occasionally. :)

lt519

Awesome advice, my opinion is to never start scrambling for mines without passing the essence first. In other words get Skolas to a point in his health where you are about to trigger mines, wait til someone has 15 seconds on the essence, bombard him with rockets, and pass the essence as soon as the mines trigger (should be about 5 seconds left). That way you have a full 30 seconds to dismantle the first mine then pass the essence and move to the next one. Also never stop killing adds while you are dismantling. It may get hectic but using rockets on Captains and clusters of Vandals will make crossing the arena much much easier. By the third mine you shouldn't even really have many adds left to deal with. I personally always trigger mines while on the big platform on the left side (facing if you were to just enter the arena) that way you can kill the three shanks, and waste 3-4 Vandals and a Captain before the first mine even appears. I take it slow and steady.

I'm with Boguester, if you get the lower mine have everyone dismantle it first and immediately start your rotation to the other side. If it pops on the other side you'll get there in time but if it pops middle you can have your bladedancer go invis and take care of it while everyone else continues to the far end. Have everyone regroup on the final platform where the Titan can put up a bubble while you re-organize. Trade bladedancer for sunsinger if the bladedancer has the essence, this is where comms is critical with the team.

If the middle mine pops first I like to send everyone to it and have a titan put a bubble up there. It gives you all blessing of light, time to pass the essence once, and then you can send whomever just had the essence off by himself to one of the sides while the other two cover the other side. Meet back up in 1 minute and you are fine.

If the far mine pops first have the two people sprint over to it while the person who just had the essence taken hang out where he is for the potential second mine. If the middle mine pops second everyone meets back middle and the titan uses the bubble on middle again. Ideally the Warlock travels in the group of two so he/she can revive in a pinch if the mines are slow to appear. If the Warlock already has the essence he/she should stay and die, and then revive when the mine appears on their side.

If you are having trouble staying alive while crossing the arena I suggest practicing a little with the earlier waves. Without burns you really shouldn't be dying doing this. As Boguester said it's all about communication, you can handle multiple deaths in a mine stage without wiping if you communicate effectively who is immune and who isn't. Sending the immune fellow to go dismantle far mines is ideal as they have a good minute before they have to contribute again. I've never burned Skolas through the second set of mines and I've completed the fight over 20 times and maybe have only wiped on that second set once. It's a bit easier than the first set of mines since the communication is flowing. So you don't have to burn, but it's much easier to burn.

stb

4. Nightfall boost
  5. Gonna make sure all factions are just before their upgrade point (so when I turn bounties in a get weapon packages from all factions)

Missing anything?

Not sure if it's "missing", but as captscience pointed out to me when I was doing my hypothetical TTK math (focused light + nf bonus * 5k bounties * 10) that nightfall could be level 40, and therefore total bitch to do underleveled.

It may also be entirely unnecessary, as you may not need 80k+xp to go from 34 -> 40.

EDIT: beaten.

My wife had the day off yesterday and spent half the day leveling her titan. We are actually buying the Destiny limited edition PS4 so we can play together. having kids isnt that bad. My son who is 3 is happy if im sitting on the floor with him as he plays with his toys while I play Destiny. My daughter who is 12 spends half her time in her room watching Youtube. she will sometimes play too. she earn me Crucible marks while I am at work lol.

i think my wife tolerates Destiny because she enjoys it also, to an extent, we will soon have the ability to play together, and I am not out getting into trouble. she actually enjoys talking about it with me.

GutZ31

The stars are aligning.

Is there a YT vid of a clean run with the strategy you use so I can "study" at work? I've read the descriptions, but I'm more visual. I could read it 1,000 times, but if I see it once, I'm much better off.

For starters, here is a visual aid for the map that Skolas is on, and how to go about running around.
r0XG086.png

And this is the health levels of Skolas when he activates his debuffs, and mines, ect.
eE8driM.jpg

Edited for incorrect picture.

Every like 10% is adds/mobs, so its important to call out when you start seeing them on radar for your team to be ready to start moving.

Tovarisc

4. Nightfall boost
  5. Gonna make sure all factions are just before their upgrade point (so when I turn bounties in a get weapon packages from all factions)

I heard claim that those exotic CE class items come with 50% XP boost, that true? It would be huge permanent XP boost when we consider how much there is to level and grind when TTK releases. Levels, subclass, gear...

If true one could argue that item package to be "must have" purchase for anyone serious Destiny player.

eFKac

Looking for help to summon Xyor during the Summoning Pits Strike!

Any two fellow Gaffers willing to help?

PSN - Filip_Kackiewicz

This is the way to get it done and gives you the best odds against mine RNG. But can't emphasize enough that the fireteam needs to have enough space between them when burning down Skolas w/ rockets. Bottom Balcony is an easy place to accidentally kill yourself. Someone in our fireteam blew themselves up immediately as we spawned the second set of mines (leaving only two of us doing DPS w/ a small arms heavy nerf). The one who died (Hunter) was up for taking the devouring essence from me (Titan), and the Warlock was immune. So Hunter blows self up. I die to DE 12 seconds later. Wiped w/ Skolas at about 4% health.

Granted, it was the worst possible combination of things happening. If I had blown myself up for instance, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad because I already had the debuff anyway. If the Warlock had died, he could self-res.

Yep, very true about balcony spacing. I call out positions (left/right/middle) before we burn and make sure people jump straight up and down without side-strafing. There's enough space behind cover but the Warlock can go middle in case they take too much damage, and the Titan height jump means they can be "back row" and jump over people's heads to fire.

So many things can go wrong and still clear Skolas but if one wrong thing happens at the worst time it's over. Such a bad feeling when you realize "...yeah, that's a wipe."

Boom baby! Congrats Deku, Revenant is slick. I don't like the camouflage spots but they aren't very noticeable w the right armor sets.

Why must you completely melt my boner?

it will most likely be 38. always has been two levels under the cap. I cant imagine that changing. Although NF has not been the challenging activity it was during Vanilla Destiny. But Im sure they will keep it the same. The new strikes sound like they are going to add a new challenge with Raid light mechanics. you SHOULDNT be able to just "Burn" them down anymore. hopefully. Nightfall hopefully is going to be a fun, challenging experience as opposed to that thing you do Tuesday morning to get it out of the way to get the EXP boost and maybe an exotic.

LTWood12

With a 3 year-old, a newborn, and a wife who enjoys games but merely tolerates Destiny taking over; it's tough. I'm never on if my 3 year-old is awake; so I pretty much only play in the evening. Even then I want to hang out w/ the Mrs. and especially be helpful with the little one. We try to strike as much balance as we can. It's really hard with a game that you can't pause, and even more so when you're doing an activity where others are depending on you to get it done (Skolas, Raids, Trials).

The only reason I'm able to keep up w/ the soldiers here is through Remote Play on my Vita. I've learned to get good w/ those little knubs out of sheer will. Even did my first PoE 35 w/ it last night, then switched to a controller for round 6. Managed a better k/d in the first two rounds than someone else in the fireteam who shall remain nameless ;) But in round 3 the psions w/ arc burn caught up w/ me.

Top Bottom