• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

LTWood12

Pretty sure devouring essence triggers when the bonds are broken? Not when the first mines appear.

You are mistaken.

Actually I'm not. The picture is wrong, the essence begins immediately when the bonds have been broken. It was a common misconception early on when people were burning him down in 40 seconds since they moved through 15% of health so quickly, and may still be doing so now.

Yo Drizz, can I ask you to help It519 recall the actual workings of Skolas?

Homeboyd <3

Am I taking crazy pills? Taint starts at 65%, the post even says that. The picture has it starting at 50% with the mines.

Sorry you are still wrong, I've probably done Skolas second most times compared to Drizz.

Gutz is taking crazy pills. Essence hits when you break the bonds. 100% positive.

edit: Top of Page! Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!
GameOver.gif

Homeboyd

Fair enough we were both wrong (;

still not sure I believe that reddit post! I think it starts with the bonds being broken because when that happens we stop DPSing Skolas in my newbie runs to get situated and a rotation down
Yeah I would definitely defer to you guys who run this weekly. As I... do not. Figured reddit would know more than anyone.

Make no mistake, I don't WANT to run this. I'm outright dreading it. I just need to get it done for Triumphs.

I've been putting it off as long as I can, but this is probably the last "good" mod week for Skolas virgins like myself.

I'll come back and farm for ciphers when I'm a 40, like I did with HM Crota.

Don't dread the Skolas fight itself. Dread the rest of it. The 5 rounds leading up to him are boring and a slog, especially that pilot servitor. There's no checkpoint for Skolas himself. Skolas never drops Elemental Primaries, etc.

The Skolas fight itself is Destiny's best boss fight by a long shot.

• Even though we're under-leveled, the difficulty is really the mechanics.
  • It requires perfect constant communication.
  • Since it's 3-man, you can't have any slack (at least compared to a raid).
  • Mistakes can happen, but they're not a wipe. This isn't Crota where any screw-ups and people wipe. I've been the only guardian alive at times and have recovered. This right here is an incredible feeling.
  • All three classes have unique ways of tackling the mines, self-rez, invis BD, bubble. Which is unique because the raids haven't really required supers to be used in this way.
Skolas is a great fight, but he's buried under crap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Devouring Essence starts very obviously a few seconds after the bonds are broken, anyone who has struggled against Skolas should know this. :p There's no separate threshold for the Essence. The bonds being broken and the taint starting are the same trigger.
Gutz is taking crazy pills. Essence hits when you break the bonds. 100% positive.
I mean I've been in groups that literally died due to the essence before getting him to 50%, it's tough to even understand where the misconception came about from my perspective.
:(

lt519

Sorry guys. need more sleep or something I guess.

It'll be a fantastic picture when it's right. Also that heat map is awesome, where was that pulled from? I'd love to be able to show people this stuff before fighting him the first time, unfortunately I think my Skolas carry days are over since my weekends are gone until TTK.

I would do 3 kills a night just for the fun of it if I didn't have to do the first 5 rounds. They should have at least had the first four rounds have rotating modifiers and rotate the mini-boss in round 5 each week. It'd make it so much more bearable. When I did those 10 or so runs that one week my brain was absolute mush.

stb

Don't dread the Skolas fight itself. Dread the rest of it. The 5 rounds leading up to him are boring and a slog, especially that pilot servitor. There's no checkpoint for Skolas himself. Skolas never drops Elemental Primaries, etc.

The Skolas fight itself is Destiny's best boss fight by a long shot.

• Even though we're under-leveled, the difficulty is really the mechanics.
  • It requires perfect constant communication.
  • Since it's 3-man, you can't have any slack (at least compared to a raid).
  • Mistakes can happen, but they're not a wipe. This isn't Crota where any screw-ups and people wipe. I've been the only guardian alive at times and have recovered. This right here is an incredible feeling.
  • All three classes have unique ways of tackling the mines, self-rez, invis BD, bubble.

Yes, that's a fair distinction.

I really, really don't like PoE. The concept, the execution, the rewards, etc. The whole thing is just a failure for me. So that's the part I'm dreading. An extra hard slog through content I don't like.

I'm actually looking forward to the Skolas fight since it's been so praised by folks here, including the guys in my raid group.

I'd happily pay someone to play my seat through the rest of the PoE and let me drop in at Skolas. =)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol thanks dude, very nice of you to say :) Did you need anything when you joined party chat earlier? Sorry if some folks were rude, that group can get a little uncivilized, lol.

Warlocks are the undisputed scummy cheese kings. Had a match last night that took 49 total kills for us to finally win, it was a nightmare!
Oh no, I accidentally clicked on the party. It loads really slow lol.

Also, I don't see the point of power leveling. I think the story/strikes etc will give you a decent amount of XP to hit level 38-40. Having public event packages/bounties doesn't hurt though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
heres my plan:
Preparation-
store 15-20 PE packages at the post master
store 10 5k bounties
Day 1
dont use them....yet
Play the story missions up to the new subclass
drink a Redbull code for power!
cash in the goods
hopefully the packages and bounties will be enough to get me to 36-38

throw a hammer like it aint no thing!
after everyone's corrections and suggestions mine is similar sans pe packages. I really hope exotic class items aren't 40. That'd make no sense

GutZ31

It'll be a fantastic picture when it's right. Also that heat map is awesome, where was that pulled from? I'd love to be able to show people this stuff before fighting him the first time, unfortunately I think my Skolas carry days are over since my weekends are gone until TTK.

Bungie had released the heat maps after PoE was out for a while, and I just used google to find them again.
skolas_cell_3.jpg

Don't worry, this one I have actually looked at and crazy pills are out of my system.

Light gear we are able to aquire = 310
Light gear recommended for raid = 350

This will be the new way of keeping us from steam rolling the raids.

Do you mind me asking where you got those figures from? The revel stream showed most legendary weapons at 280, and Armour is meant to have equivalent stats so that would mean an overall light level of 280....

They did have the random 290 weapon at the end which was also legendary and got infused into the 280 one....but i couldn't figure out if that was for demo purposes, or if raid gear will be 290.

I was assuming it would be similar to vanilla where legendaries would all be 280 and raid armour (and maybe guns) would be 300.

I agree with the posts that said the NF will likely be attached to level 40 and a high light level - the equivalent of having all normal (non-raid) level legendaries.

I think we're all in for a bit of a shock, when we realise we don't have a suite of max-level, every-element, every gun-type weapons to pick and chose from.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi guys, this may seem like an odd question but I wanted to ask people who still play and enjoy the same kind of grindy games that I do.

I bought HoW and had a lot of fun with the content, and have preordered TTK. I had a good week money-wise and feel frivolous enough to buy TDB however before I do (I realise it is part of the TTK) I just wondered if by having HoW already it makes the content in TDB obsolete?

I'm really enjoying Destiny right now, it's been the main game in my PS4 for weeks, and I have some time off work too so I'm wondering if this content in Dark Below is anything I'm missing and will give me some new goals for a while until TTK. I see a hell of a lot of negative articles about it, but most of them complain that it's too grindy which is something I actually enjoy.

I know that most gear will be obsolete, I'm just enjoying looking for the Exotics that may go to year 2 (sad but true)

Just looking for opinions from people who still play, thanks in advance for any feedback on my thread!
Because of Etheric Light, none of the items in TDB are any more or less obsolete than those in HoW. I assume that you meant gear by "content," because nobody can really tell you when the content itself is obsolete (i.e. it becomes obsolete when you have no personal reason to run it anymore :p)

Come TTK, however, all of the legendary gear and potentially much Exotic gear as well will be eclipsed by new stuff.

ich00

The only reason I'm able to keep up w/ the soldiers here is through Remote Play on my Vita. I've learned to get good w/ those little knubs out of sheer will. Even did my first PoE 35 w/ it last night, then switched to a controller for round 6. Managed a better k/d in the first two rounds than someone else in the fireteam who shall remain nameless ;) But in round 3 the psions w/ arc burn caught up w/ me.

Do you use any grips on your Vita? I have these: Vita Grips and don't think I'm a fan.

LTWood12

I really, really don't like PoE. The concept, the execution, the rewards, etc. The whole thing is just a failure for me. So that's the part I'm dreading. An extra hard slog through content I don't like.

I'm actually looking forward to the Skolas fight since it's been so praised by folks here, including the guys in my raid group.

I'd happily pay someone to play my seat through the rest of the PoE and let me drop in at Skolas. =)

All about who you play with. I find the whole process of PoE 35 cathartic, but I'm pretty much always playing w/ people I enjoy hanging out with.

Obviously it wasn't like this before w/ the burns, and w/ the Skolas fight having all the yellow-bar majors etc. But after tackling it a couple of times it's become a great stress reliever after a long work day and sleepless nights.

GutZ31

Do you mind me asking where you got those figures from? The revel stream showed most legendary weapons at 280, and Armour is meant to have equivalent stats so that would mean an overall light level of 280....

They did have the random 290 weapon at the end which was also legendary and got infused into the 280 one....but i couldn't figure out if that was for demo purposes, or if raid gear will be 290.

I was assuming it would be similar to vanilla where legendaries would all be 280 and raid armour (and maybe guns) would be 300.

I agree with the posts that said the NF will likely be attached to level 40 and a high light level - the equivalent of having all normal (non-raid) level legendaries.

I think we're all in for a bit of a shock, when we realise we don't have a suite of max-level, every-element, every gun-type weapons to pick and chose from.

my numbers are bull, they are just numbers pulled out of my ass.

I was just making a bad joke out of how bungie likes to keep us under leveled for fights.

lt519

I'm surprised to see the deeper dark red by the Add Spawn Door on the big ramp. We fight up top where we have a higher vantage point and can tag team the sword captain as he has to run up the middle ramp. It doesn't work as well for getting Skolas all along the alley way leading up to the Add Spawn Door, but again I take the slow route with this fight.

Freeman76

Because of Etheric Light, none of the items in TDB are any more or less obsolete than those in HoW. I assume that you meant gear by "content," because nobody can really tell you when the content itself is obsolete (i.e. it becomes obsolete when you have no personal reason to run it anymore :p)

Come TTK, however, all of the legendary gear and potentially much Exotic gear as well will be eclipsed by new stuff.

Sure, I guess I was asking people who love the game if they have found TDB to have enjoyable content. Also, does TDB have weapons that aren't found in HoW? I haven't managed to get any etheric light yet, the legendary trophy still eludes me

Unfortunately I can't do that. :)

Essence starts when bonds are broken. Bonds are broken at ~75%. That picture is bad and should feel bad about itself.

If you do the burn him to death before the 2nd mines pop (so you can disarm them in peace), where do you stand for the burn phase?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure, I guess I was asking people who love the game if they have found TDB to have enjoyable content.
Absolutely. I'm in a minority, but I truly love its Raid and if you have any interest in doing so, I find Swordbearing to be one of the most enjoyable activities in the entire game.
Also, does TDB have weapons that aren't found in HoW? I haven't managed to get any etheric light yet, the legendary trophy still eludes me
Yes, a fair amount of Raid weaponry from CE and a handful of Exotics (4 weapons as long as you're on PSN, and a good bit of armor).

Absolutely. I'm in a minority, but I truly love its Raid and if you have any interest in doing so, I find Swordbearing to be one of the most enjoyable activities in the entire game.

Yes, a fair amount of Raid weaponry from CE and a handful of Exotics (4 weapons as long as you're on PSN, and a good bit of armor).

They should completely rework VoG armor. What a boring perk set compared to CE armor

ich00

Do you like any of the PoE? I don't much mind it now, especially since I'm not really chasing anything, takes all of the pressure off. It also helps that I'm normally playing with people I enjoy playing with, and can joke around most of the time and laugh at each other.

Skolas is just very methodical in its design: start on one spot, kill adds, rotate, kill adds, rinse and repeat. Thing obvously can go wrong, but as long as your managing the encounter correctly, it's not bad at all. I think maybe my hidden OCD kicks in his fight too, since it so specific in how you do it.

Freeman76

Thx for info! Is CE easy enough for an average lvl 32 player?

GutZ31

I'm surprised to see the deeper dark red by the Add Spawn Door on the big ramp. We fight up top where we have a higher vantage point and can tag team the sword captain as he has to run up the middle ramp. It doesn't work as well for getting Skolas all along the alley way leading up to the Add Spawn Door, but again I take the slow route with this fight.

Its a fairly old picture, so I am sure it would show a bit differently with the streamlined methods most have come to use these days.
Still pretty cool that it's pretty much what we would expect to see.
This skolas fuckery. It's to early in the week for this. Gutz was so adamant lol
Thats what happens when you "think" you're right, and didn't bother "thinking".

Tjamato88

So are the Eris bounties useless? All I want is a Ruined Core for my fusion rifle to upgrade it.

I feel like I should just load up on Vanguard bounties and try to max out that level instead.

eFKac

Many thanks to EroticSushi and MrDaravon for helping me out obtaining the Thorn!

Just In time to see what the fuss is all about! (for 3 weeks)

Top Bottom