• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

stb

For starters, here is a visual aid for the map that Skolas is on, and how to go about running around.
r0XG086.png

And this is the health levels of Skolas when he activates his debuffs, and mines, ect.
9svPOSW.jpg

Every like 10% is adds/mobs, so its important to call out when you start seeing them on radar for your team to be ready to start moving.

This should really be stickied in the OP. Thanks, Gutz.

ocean

Banned
  1. Gonna wear exotic class items
  2. Pop the red bull consumable
  3. Got all my bounties done but not cashed
  4. Nightfall boost
  5. Gonna make sure all factions are just before their upgrade point (so when I turn bounties in a get weapon packages from all factions, on different guardians)
  6. have 200 vanguard and crucible marks for each character.

Missing anything?
You won't be able to tip over all the factions since the new system entails pledging with 1 faction per week. You'll have to pick one.

Also, if you're truly insane you can start hoarding Public Event packages. You can store 20, and they pay 2,500 XP each (50k total). 10 bounty slots with 5,000 XP would net you another 50k. With the Red Bull 50% buff that's 150,000 XP.

Then again, there's zero reason to wanna rush leveling so much. Soon after starting the story you'll have a subclass which needs leveling up, and new Exotics and armor etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
it will most likely be 38. always has been two levels under the cap. I cant imagine that changing. Although NF has not been the challenging activity it was during Vanilla Destiny. But Im sure they will keep it the same. The new strikes sound like they are going to add a new challenge with Raid light mechanics. you SHOULDNT be able to just "Burn" them down anymore. hopefully. Nightfall hopefully is going to be a fun, challenging experience as opposed to that thing you do Tuesday morning to get it out of the way to get the EXP boost and maybe an exotic.
I know I know I know grr. My plan though!!!

You won't be able to tip over all the factions since the new system entails pledging with 1 faction per week. You'll have to pick one.

Also, if you're truly insane you can start hoarding Public Event packages. You can store 20, and they pay 2,500 XP each (50k total). 10 bounty slots with 5,000 XP would net you another 50k. With the Red Bull 50% buff that's 150,000 XP.

Then again, there's zero reason to wanna rush leveling so much. Soon after starting the story you'll have a subclass which needs leveling up, and new Exotics and armor etc.
That's why I said "on different guardians" ;} and yeah that's true about the subclass conundrum.

Homeboyd

This should really be stickied in the OP. Thanks, Gutz.
No! That encourages people to run Skolas! You should NEVER, EVER, EVER want to run this. Not for weapons. Not for etherics. Not for armor. Not for triumphs or shaders or ships. NEVER.

/s

/not s

For starters, here is a visual aid for the map that Skolas is on, and how to go about running around.
r0XG086.png

And this is the health levels of Skolas when he activates his debuffs, and mines, ect.
9svPOSW.jpg

Every like 10% is adds/mobs, so its important to call out when you start seeing them on radar for your team to be ready to start moving.
Additionally, and I'm sure you know this, the adds (and Skolas) are really slow but insist on chasing you, so changing sides frequently is important to keep the heat off. However, be aware that Skolas can teleport to the right platform (based on the picture) but not the left, so when you see him near the right its best to leave asap even if you're not under much pressure. And even though he can't get to the left platform, it's still good to swap. Too many times I've been with players who insisted on sitting left because the splash damage from the scorch cannon isn't that bad, but it adds an additional element of risk.

lt519

Well, I am pretty sure to be wrong about the mob spawn rate, but everything else is correct.
Np.

Pretty sure devouring essence triggers when the bonds are broken? Not when the first mines appear.

Additionally, and I'm sure you know this, the adds (and Skolas) are really slow but insist on chasing you, so changing sides frequently is important to keep the heat off. However, be aware that Skolas can teleport to the right platform (based on the picture) but not the left, so when you see him near the right its best to leave asap even if you're not under much pressure. And even though he can't get to the left platform, it's still good to swap. Too many times I've been with players who insisted on sitting left because the splash damage from the scorch cannon isn't that bad, but it adds an additional element of risk.

This is hugely important, when Skolas gets to the bottom of the ramp, start moving. Don't wait until he is on top of you. In my newbie runs we never ever trigger adds from the smaller platform because getting stuck over there with the adds and splash damage is a horrible idea. It takes 15 seconds to rotate back over and trigger them from the bigger platform where you have a good height advantage, can waste the adds that come out of the right door, and don't have to worry about splash damage as much. Can spread out more, etc. We do all our fighting from there. It's a good newbie strategy, but not required. In other words only damage Skolas from the bigger platform, which IMO, is also the ideal spot to start the mines as well.

Lnkn52

Ok, I thought I didn't want it, but the last trailer for MGSV did it. SNNNAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE

Those dead orbit exotic gear are awesome. Any Dead Orbit Armbands for you know, Warlocks.

it will most likely be 38. always has been two levels under the cap. I cant imagine that changing. Although NF has not been the challenging activity it was during Vanilla Destiny. But Im sure they will keep it the same.

It was 2 levels below cap because the last two levels you only got to max level by raiding. Now you can get to max level just by playing. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it level 40.

But you're right, the light level won't be the highest required in the game. Likely the same as the Normal mode of King's Fall raid.

Nuszka

Looking for help to summon Xyor during the Summoning Pits Strike!

Any two fellow Gaffers willing to help?

PSN - Filip_Kackiewicz

Unfortunetly i have to go to work soon, but tonight i will be on and can help out, if you don't get it sorted before.

Lexad

I don't think the raid will be level. There will be a recommended light level. You can be 40 but have all white gear and get your shit pushed in.

GutZ31

Raid will almost certainly be level 40 with a high Light "recommendation" (basically a new legendary set).

Light gear we are able to aquire = 310
Light gear recommended for raid = 350

This will be the new way of keeping us from steam rolling the raids.

Had a fun trials match with iRawr yesterday. 6 Warlocks... yeah. I swear this is the most scummiest class in Destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBaHo0cVV8

Well that's because people can just listen to you talk about Destiny all day :p

Lol thanks dude, very nice of you to say :) Did you need anything when you joined party chat earlier? Sorry if some folks were rude, that group can get a little uncivilized, lol.

Warlocks are the undisputed scummy cheese kings. Had a match last night that took 49 total kills for us to finally win, it was a nightmare!

Lol, I stayed up the entire night to get my Trials wins and knock out some stuff at reset... ended up falling asleep on the couch with the controller in my hand at like 4:30.
Thanks again to Drizzy and xo for the carry!

Speaking of that 49 kill match, GG to you sir! Can't believe we won that game, we had a few sweaty clutch wins. Scrub teams are an endangered species in Trials nowadays, glad we got it done with you.

That's too funny you fell asleep. I noticed you were still in the party chat but not saying anything, at least you didn't start snoring like some people I've played with!

lt519

You are mistaken.

Actually I'm not. The picture is wrong, the essence begins immediately when the bonds have been broken. It was a common misconception early on when people were burning him down in 40 seconds since they moved through 15% of health so quickly, and may still be doing so now.

eFKac

Posting for new page

PSN - Filip_Kackiewicz

Actually I'm not. The picture is wrong, the essence begins immediately when the bonds have been broken. It was a common misconception early on when people were burning him down in 40 seconds since they moved through 15% of health so quickly, and may still be doing so now.

LT is right. Here's the corrected version:

eE8driM.jpg

ocean

Banned
r0XG086.png

9svPOSW.jpg

#1 tip.

Once you clear first mines, you're done with half the battle. But the trickiest part is what follows. Too often people will clear out ads, recover supers, rotate etc and then try to burn Skolas down directly. Specially during Small Arms weeks, this can be super hard. You'll just trigger second mines without managing to kill the guy, and have to start mines phase with probably no heavy ammo to back you up and having taken splash damage from Skolas.

I'd suggest you do a mini DPS round between first and second mines. Basically get him down to the K in Skolas as Drizzay said. This will trigger ads of course. Clean them up.

The idea is being super close to 2nd mine trigger when you begin your final DPS wave. This will ensure you can burn him down and grab the mines in peace.

Just make sure to pace your damage. Don't try to kill him directly after first mines. Clean up ads, do only enough damage to bring him to the K and spawn more ads, clean those up, and then just rotate around the room playing hot potato until everyone is ready (super, full rockets).

lt519

I know I know I know grr. My plan though!!!

That's why I said "on different guardians" ;} and yeah that's true about the subclass conundrum.

heres my plan:
Preparation-
store 15-20 PE packages at the post master
store 10 5k bounties
Day 1
dont use them....yet
Play the story missions up to the new subclass
drink a Redbull code for power!
cash in the goods
hopefully the packages and bounties will be enough to get me to 36-38

throw a hammer like it aint no thing!

stb

No! That encourages people to run Skolas! You should NEVER, EVER, EVER want to run this. Not for weapons. Not for etherics. Not for armor. Not for triumphs or shaders or ships. NEVER.

/s

/not s

Make no mistake, I don't WANT to run this. I'm outright dreading it. I just need to get it done for Triumphs.

I've been putting it off as long as I can, but this is probably the last "good" mod week for Skolas virgins like myself.

I'll come back and farm for ciphers when I'm a 40, like I did with HM Crota.

Homeboyd

Am I taking crazy pills? Taint starts at 65%, the post even says that. The picture has it starting at 50% with the mines.

Sorry you are still wrong, I've probably done Skolas second most times compared to Drizz.
Yeah but according to the reddit post, servitor bonds are broken at 75%, not 65%.

MrDaravon

Posting for new page

PSN - Filip_Kackiewicz

I can help in a few minutes if you still need someone. It's not too bad at high level and with ballerhorn, I solo'd it like a week ago but it was not pleasant. Gimmie a few.

Nuszka

heres my plan:
Preparation-
store 15-20 PE packages at the post master
store 10 5k bounties
Day 1
dont use them....yet
Play the story missions up to the new subclass
drink a Redbull code for power!
cash in the goods
hopefully the packages and bounties will be enough to get me to 36-38

throw a hammer like it aint no thing!

Exactly the same plan here.

9svPOSW.jpg

Baahhhhhh nooooo I hate that picture. It gets the most essential fact wrong: Devouring Essence starts with the broken bonds, not at 50%. That's the whole point of the bonds. I also don't think 65% is correct, it's higher than that. I'd guess 75% given the other two HP triggers. I can post a picture later that shows HP right when bonds break.

Add spawns are triggered at much less than 10%. It's gotta be 5% or less, only a handful of rockets can do it. You really don't want to chip away at him because of this or else you'll be spawning adds constantly. Best to take big smacks at him since you can only spawn a limited amount/type of adds, e.g. only one Sword Knight can be spawned at once, from underneath the back balcony.

GutZ31

Am I taking crazy pills? Taint starts at 65%, the post even says that. The picture has it starting at 50% with the mines.

Sorry you are still wrong, I've probably done Skolas second most times compared to Drizz.

Sorry, think I have been off my knockers. it is after the 65% mark, the picture is wrong.
For some reason it wasn't registering in my head.

I was wrong.

eE8driM.jpg

Will update with correct picture.

Baahhhhhh nooooo I hate that picture. It gets the most essential fact wrong: Devouring Essence starts with the broken bonds, not at 50%. That's the whole point of the bonds. I also don't think 65% is correct, it's higher than that. I'd guess 75% given the other two HP triggers. I can post a picture later that shows HP right when bonds break.

Add spawns are triggered at much less than 10%. It's gotta be 5% or less, only a handful of rockets can do it. You really don't want to chip away at him because of this or else you'll be spawning adds constantly. Best to take big smacks at him since you can only spawn a limited amount/type of adds, e.g. only one Sword Knight can be spawned at once, from underneath the back balcony.
Thanks for jumping in.
Failed myself for glossing over the picture without really looking at it.
also failed at noticing It519 pointing out the obvious, and that really sucks.

Sorry guys. need more sleep or something I guess.

lt519

Yeah but according to the reddit post, servitor bonds are broken at 75%, not 65%.

Fair enough we were both wrong (;

still not sure I believe that reddit post! I think it starts with the bonds being broken because when that happens we stop DPSing Skolas in my newbie runs to get situated and a rotation down. Yeah to Boguester's post I always call out bonds being broken at 75% when teaching and the essence starts at the same time.

You really don't want to chip away at him because of this or else you'll be spawning adds constantly. Best to take big smacks at him since you can only spawn a limited amount/type of adds, e.g. only one Sword Knight can be spawned at once, from underneath the back balcony.

Me = tortoise
Boguester = hare

Hare usually wins, but sometimes gets put into a rabbit stew :p

Just joking, I like slow and steady with my newbie runs just so we can have a good rhythm, but love to just burn the crap out of him with my clanmates.

Freeman76

Hi guys, this may seem like an odd question but I wanted to ask people who still play and enjoy the same kind of grindy games that I do.

I bought HoW and had a lot of fun with the content, and have preordered TTK. I had a good week money-wise and feel frivolous enough to buy TDB however before I do (I realise it is part of the TTK) I just wondered if by having HoW already it makes the content in TDB obsolete?

I'm really enjoying Destiny right now, it's been the main game in my PS4 for weeks, and I have some time off work too so I'm wondering if this content in Dark Below is anything I'm missing and will give me some new goals for a while until TTK. I see a hell of a lot of negative articles about it, but most of them complain that it's too grindy which is something I actually enjoy.

I know that most gear will be obsolete, I'm just enjoying looking for the Exotics that may go to year 2 (sad but true)

Just looking for opinions from people who still play, thanks in advance for any feedback on my thread!

Top Bottom