• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

GutZ31

n3fZkzM.jpg

I received the 3000 grimoire email from bungie, but the above made me laugh from PlayStation.

High score is 3370?

We must be in the future guardians!
This was past months ago.

lt519

So Court of Oryx is the raid, not a PoE type arena. Shame, I wanted both :)

Edit: King's Fall is the raid, so maybe, maybe not.

SamGlover

Neo Member
Hey GAF, I'm terrible at recruiting and desperately want to get more meaningful time in on destiny. I have one level 32 Bladedancer (having multiple characters wigs me out for some reason) and I've still yet to run any raids or nightfalls; I want to change that. If you want to help me change that, message me here or on PSN (THESamGlover, I play destiny on PS4) and we'll see what we can work out.

that's basically what it is. the term refers to when a player is hugging a wall or inclined surface and peeking out (usually with a Sniper) just enough to see you, but not enough to expose themselves. It's hard to hit them because the amount of themselves that they're exposing on their screen isn't actually what you're seeing. Their gun can shoot you, but you can't even see their gun, hence the term. There was a diagram from Halo about it a while ago.

It's not something you can completely avoid (nor should it be), but Bungie makes a habit of designing their maps to encourage it. Ramps are a way of creating "cover" to a flat space by adding depth to part of the geometry. When a ramp is created, the player is able to change the amount of cover they have based on their position on the ramp. This is actually a very smart alternative to lazy cover such as pillars. Nevertheless, it creates a position where the player is able to see enemies who are exposed without exposing themselves. When used in excess, it makes the gameplay slow and campy.

Best place to find a headglitcher is by the B heavy ammo on Shores of Time.

Ahh that makes sense. I've noticed it on the steps on Cauldron, and on the outside near heavy ammo and A on Burning Shrine. Oh another is top side Heavy in Widow's Court. That one seems really intentional.

Sometimes I see someone snipe me when I can't even see their head, so then I wonder if it's lag, high aim assist, or headglitching.

Pretty sure it's related to how Bungie has their shooters work.

Because of the 1st person aspect of the game, developers typically have this delimma regularly.

Do they have bullets come from the gun like they should? Or do bullets come from the camera, like the player sees?

Basically, if you fire a bullet, it comes out of your forehead. I remember Halo 3 did this and it always looked funny because you could see it so clearly in the theatre mode.

Of course, what this means is that in the game, if you can see it, you can shoot it. Doesn't matter if you gun is actually being obstructed by anything.

To test this go stand next to a wall on your right side. You'll notice that even though your gun has a wall in front of it, you can still shoot around the corner because you can SEE around the corner.

ADS does a good job of hiding this, but it was much more obviously in Bungie's Halo games.

Yea that makes sense. I guess patrols with a buddy is an ok way to test some theories. It doesn't look like it comes from the head in Destiny. People probably learn a lot on custom games.

lt519

Hey GAF, I'm terrible at recruiting and desperately want to get more meaningful time in on destiny. I have one level 32 Bladedancer (having multiple characters wigs me out for some reason) and I've still yet to run any raids or nightfalls; I want to change that. If you want to help me change that, message me here or on PSN (THESamGlover, I play destiny on PS4) and we'll see what we can work out.

Hey Sam, your best bet is directly organizing a raid/nightfall than saying you'd generally like to play at some point. When you are ready to go, just post your PSN, need 2 for NF, and watch people line up to play. It's an active enough thread that you can pull together literally any activity within about 30 minutes. A nightfall within like 5. That being said add me on PSN: rarbusto and feel free to message me at any time. I'll probably be running a couple Weekly Strikes tonight, don't know what the NF is but if isn't Omnigul and has a burn then I'll help out.

Don't dread the Skolas fight itself. Dread the rest of it. The 5 rounds leading up to him are boring and a slog, especially that pilot servitor. There's no checkpoint for Skolas himself. Skolas never drops Elemental Primaries, etc.

The Skolas fight itself is Destiny's best boss fight by a long shot.

• Even though we're under-leveled, the difficulty is really the mechanics.
  • It requires perfect constant communication.
  • Since it's 3-man, you can't have any slack (at least compared to a raid).
  • Mistakes can happen, but they're not a wipe. This isn't Crota where any screw-ups and people wipe. I've been the only guardian alive at times and have recovered. This right here is an incredible feeling.
  • All three classes have unique ways of tackling the mines, self-rez, invis BD, bubble. Which is unique because the raids haven't really required supers to be used in this way.
Skolas is a great fight, but he's buried under crap.

Agreed with all points. I did it for the first time two weeks ago with two other first timers and we all enjoyed the fight. What we didn't like were the lack of checkpoints (newbie run, so it took us 4 hours for the entire run) and the slog of the prior 5 levels.

Also the rewards suck too.

Tovarisc

Why the heck are we STOPPING the Cabal from destroying the ship...
We really don't know how to let others do our job for us.

I was wondering same. Cabal wants to nuke dreadnaught and Oryx from the orbit just like we do and we prevent cabal from doing this? Ummm.... lolwat?

Lnkn52

The only issue I found in that teaser is at :20. The sound the Titan makes when he lands on the ship sounds very puny. Like someone tapping or playing ping pong.

Daemul

Saving up 5k bounties and public event packages isn't about rushing to try and be the first to level 40(though having that bragging right wouldn't hurt :p), it's to help level up the new subclass so that we're not stuck with the basic shitty jump and abilities, meaning that the new subclass will actually be usable in high level activities on day 1.

Another reason is that you need to be level 40 to use the best gear and weapons in the expansion, so the quicker you get to 40 the better.

GutZ31

I was thinking about this too when reading the description.

Maybe Cayde and Eris are trapped?

Sacrifice a few for the many...

Or no Guardian left behind...

Saving up 5k bounties and public event packages isn't about rushing to try and be the first to level 40(though having that bragging right wouldn't hurt :p), it's to help level up the new subclass so that we're not stuck with the basic shitty jump and abilities, meaning that the new subclass will actually be usable in high level activities on day 1, instead of having to wait and spending days leveling it up with bounties just so that you can use it without gimping yourself too much, ain't nobody got time for that.

Another reason is that you need to be level 40 to use the best gear and weapons in the expansion, so the quicker you get to 40 the better.
All year 2 exotics are level 40 capped, so you need to be level 40 to use exotic armors again...

lt519

Saving up 5k bounties and public event packages isn't about rushing to try and be the first to level 40(though having that bragging right wouldn't hurt :p), it's to help level up the new subclass so that we're not stuck with the basic shitty jump and abilities, meaning that the new subclass will actually be usable in high level activities on day 1, instead of spending days leveling it up with bounties, ain't nobody got time for that.

The only thing I question about this is how far into the story do we unlock the new subclasses and will we be forced to take on Bounties, a la HoW, to "meet" new people. So we may have to throw away a few of our 10 5k bounties to free up room for required TTK bounties while we wait to unlock the subclass. I'm also holding them for fast rep gains and leveling up some new weapons that I get early on. But getting all 10 slots filled probably isn't necessary. I'm doing it on my Warlock and Titan so that I can progress with my Hunter and maybe get some drops by Titan and Warlock can help level up with the XP when I want to.

I wish there was a 4th character slot, so I could experience it all fresh with new systems and Nolanbot. I don't want to delete any of my three characters and don't want to play on a new account either.

Akai XIII

I was wondering same. Cabal wants to nuke dreadnaught and Oryx from the orbit just like we do and we prevent cabal from doing this? Ummm.... lolwat?
It's almost as if we don't know the full story...

But if we're going to guess: destroying the ship would bring about system wide devastation. The guardian's/Vanguard would prefer the Cabal didn't annihilate life in our system so they try to stop them.

Or, Spaaaaace 'Merica.

I am a little, thrown off by Nolans voice work.

I like it, but I was expecting something a little more commanding? he sounds almost like a pet or a sidekick?

not what I was expecting.

could just be the line they had him drop.

GutZ31

The only thing I question about this is how far into the story do we unlock the new subclasses and will we be forced to take on Bounties, a la HoW, to "meet" new people. So we may have to throw away a few of our 10 5k bounties to free up room for required TTK bounties while we wait to unlock the subclass. I'm also holding them for fast rep gains and leveling up some new weapons that I get early on.

luckly, they showed they are bumping up the bounty list to 16 from 10.
So we will have 6 empty slots for bounties when TTK drops.

Haybro

You should definitely look to sign up for one of Hawkian's weekly first-timer raids. I think he usually runs them on Thursday nights.

Namikaze1

8pi8LzB.jpg

The Fallen are one of four alien races the Guardians have come across in their battles to thwart the Darkness. These four armed-bipedal humanoids can be found in locations such as the Moon, Earth, Venus, and even the Reef.

The Fallen aren't a unified species. They long splintered off into Houses. We currently know 7 Houses: House of Rain, Winter, Wolves, Judgment, Kings, Exile, and Devils. Most of these houses are led by Kells. These nomadic pirates operates in packs. These packs, led by Fallen Captains, consist of Dregs and Vandals.

Dregs are the lowest ranking Fallen. Unlike other Fallen, Dregs only have two fully developed arms. Their arsenal consists of shock daggers and pistols.

Vandals are a higher rank than dregs. These Fallen can be train to fight in close quarter combat and from afar. Stealth vandals prefer the up and personal approach. They cloak themselves and attack with sabres. Upon landing a hit, they lose their cloaking shields for a few seconds. The riflemen vandals uses a powerful weapon known as the Wire Rifle to attack from a safe distance. The only drawback on this powerful weapon is the long recharge time.

Captains are the fiercest of the Fallen. Like Vandals, they can rush you with sabres or attack from afar with weaponry such as their solar shotguns and seeking blasters.

Accompanying these brutes are small drones call Shanks and the powerful Servitors. Shanks attack in large numbers while Servitors dishes out powerful void projectiles from the eye like structure in their design. The Servitors are worshiped by Fallen Archons due to being the source of the fallen's Ether supply.

Archons are high priests of the Fallen and fight very much like a Fallen Captain. They however are more powerful than their Captain underlings. They're so powerful, their stomps can send a guardian flying back several feet.

House of Winter
The House of Winter currently preside on Venus. Reports state that the House of Winter's interest in the Golden Age ruins is why they roam the Ishtar Region. Though there are some that believe they are interested in the mysterious Vex Citadel.

The House of Winter was once led by one of the most wanted Kell of the Fallen, Draksis. This powerful Kell was ultimately struck down by the Guardians of Earth. Under his command were the Winter Baron, Grayliks, and the Servitor, Simiks-3. These two sought out the knowledge hidden deep in the Archive but were stopped in their endeavors by the Guardians.

House of Judgment
The House of Judgment was one of the oldest Houses in Fallen history. The only surviving member of this house resides in the Vestian Outpost. Variks, the former Scribe of House of Jugdment, left what was left of his House and sided with Queen Mara during the Reef wars. This action led to House of Judgment living on through him.

House of Rain
This long extinct Fallen House was known for their prophecies. Not much else is known about this House.

House of Devils
The House of Devils have a long history with the Guardians of Earth. Called the Scourge of the City, this House were responsible for the destruction of London and the Battle of Twilight Gap. Currently, this House roam Old Russia in search of something hidden deep below the Cosmodrome. The Guardians continue to fight the Fallen of House Devil to this, hoping to stop them from finding whatever it is they are looking for. In their efforts to stop them, the Guardians gave a major blow to the House of Devil after eliminating Sepiks Prime and many of the Fallen Majors and capturing their stronghold, Devil's Lair. As of now, the Guardian remain in the dark on the identity of this House's Kell.

House of Exile
This minor House patrols the abandoned outposts on the Moon. As their name suggests, this House consists of mostly outcasts and disgraced Fallen. As revealed by Variks, this House do not follow any of the Fallen traditions: they do not follow a Kell or an Archon nor do they posses a Prime Servitor.

House of Kings
The House of Kings remained out of the Guardians' sight till Skolas was freed. The Kings are considered to be the most brutal of the houses, often waging war against the City and other Fallen Houses alike. Due to their secrecy, very little is known of them. In their mission to recapture Skolas, the Guardians of Earth infiltrated the King's Watch, a restricted location in Old Russia. It was there the Guardians took out two of the Kings' Barons. They encountered a third Baron before on their quest to prevent Crota's revival.

House of Wolves
The House of Wolves was once led by the Kell, Virixas. On their way to Earth, they were confronted by the Queen's forces, preventing them from joining up their fellow Houses on Earth in their war against the City. Due to the Queen's sudden interference, the Fallen Houses on Earth were defeated at a heavy cost to the Guardians. The House of Wolves retaliated against the Queen's forces. They proved no match and after Virixas was defeated, Queen Mara Sov forced what was left to serve her.

She imprisoned Wolves leaders such as Kaliks Prime and a Captain by the name of Skolas. She would hand over the Wolves Captain over to the mysterious group known as the Nine. One of their agents, Xur, would released Skolas from his prison. This led to the former Wolves Captain to seek out his former House and lead an uprising against the Queen. Many Awoken fell to the might of the resurgent Wolves. The many deaths would lead to the Queen seeking help from the Guardians of Earth.

The Guardians, with the help of Petra Venj and Variks of House Judgment, successfully recapture the self proclaimed Kell of Kells. Skolas would end up facing his final Judgment later on after the Queen opened the Prison of Elders to the Guardians.

This general info only. Not including information such as the battle of Twilight Gap or the battles of Six fronts. Don't know which alien species to do next. :(
Yes, I was bored and decided to do some general information shit on enemies and what not.

lt519

luckly, they showed they are bumping up the bounty list to 16 from 10.
So we will have 6 empty slots for bounties when TTK drops.

Good call! Totally forgot about that, guess I'll be filling out all my Hunter bounty slots then. I can't stomach doing a PE every day on every character though, meh.

Court of Oryx is a location. King's Fall is the raid.

Mmm bad assumption on my part.

Well Nami, the Fallen too me are still the most interesting race in Destiny. I mean you can probably do the Cabal but we don't know a lot about them base on Grimore and such.

Top Bottom