• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

todd360

Reading about the new titan helmet was hilarious. hmmm I like what i'm seeing here. hmmm warlock float in midair that no one uses. lol nope.

At this point you just have to feel bad for the titans.

Kyoufu

I'm not going to poo-poo any items before I get to see how they perform myself. Bungie's itemisation team don't just randomly pick out perks from a hat when designing Exotics. They have a special build or use in mind, no matter how niche it may be.

It's also wise to not expect another St.14 where you're basically forced to use it over everything else. Build diversity is important.

zewone

It's also wise to not expect another St.14 where you're basically forced to use it over everything else. Build diversity is important.

Or make everything St. 14 tier to add uniqueness/fun to the game. A tame exotic doesn't do Bungie or players any favors.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Or make everything St. 14 tier to add uniqueness/fun to the game. A tame exotic doesn't do Bungie or players any favors.
This is literally the "how bungie should balance broken exotics" argument that I've continually seen for gjally, TLW, and thorn. Let's balance the game by breaking it further then complain about how broken it is. I know Saint-14 isn't broken but exotics need to come in tiers and flavors for different situations. Saint-14 is near the line

Trakan

I'm not going to poo-poo any items before I get to see how they perform myself. Bungie's itemisation team don't just randomly pick out perks from a hat when designing Exotics. They have a special build or use in mind, no matter how niche it may be.

When's the last time you saw someone using No Backup Plans or Sunbreakers? Exotics have to be useful in order for people to want to use them.

zewone

This is literally the "how bungie should balance broken exotics" argument that I've continually seen for gjally, TLW, and thorn. Let's balance the game by breaking it further then complain about how broken it is.

For PVE, break the game, I don't care.

Don't need to play fair against the AI.

Kyoufu

My personal opinion is that St. 14 tier Exotics should be harder to obtain. If something is so good that it dominates your equipped slot then it shouldn't simply be bought with strange coins.

I wish I could have a chat with Bungie's lead designers. :p

EloquentM

aka Mannny
For PVE, break the game, I don't care.

Don't need to play fair against the AI.
But then you get lfg bullshittiness and the game is no longer challenging. I've hated using my gjally since I got it in February but it's necessary for "easy mode" when you're carrying or fucking around. Gjally, thorn, and TLW has made the game worse off.

My personal opinion is that St. 14 tier Exotics should be harder to obtain. If something is so good that it dominates your equipped slot then it shouldn't simply be bought with strange coins.

Then Bungie gets to hear all day about how RNG is unfair.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Those were just suggestions I pulled out of my ass as example for my post. Feel free to counter my argument with anything you can pull from yours.
Okay, I mean, this isn't really a counter, but I think these would be fair, enjoyable, and not unbalanced exotic effects

-Stealth while stationary and ADS with a special weapon (any class I guess, i.e.: Patience and Time's effect for any special weapon)
-Sliding causes melee damage to enemies in your path (any class)
-Scoring a precision kill with throwing knife refills your special weapon ammo (Gunslinger)
-Enemies inside your Ward of Dawn take damage over time (Defender, basically New Thorn's max DOT applied to anyone inside the bubble)
-Kills with Shoulder Charge produce Orbs of Light (Striker, for crazy PvE orb gen builds and max agility aggressive players in Crucible)
-The duration of Radiance is extended and your super charges more quickly. Fireborn may not selected. (Sunsinger, if you have Fireborn equipped it's just a lost perk, you won't be able to self-res while wearing it).
-Nova Bomb is replaced with a smaller, more damaging projectile that also tracks enemies. This Nova Bomb will not produce orbs. (Voidwalker, basically a Nighthawk-alike for bosses)

the effects can range from subtle to profound but should basically shape your build to some degree, being chosen for playstyle or a specific task at hand if not both

LiK

is this helm for Defender? cuz i wanna scrap the Saint for this asap. looks good.

2927725-helmet.jpg

Kyoufu

Then Bungie gets to hear all day about how RNG is unfair.

Why must RNG be involved though?

You can create a very lengthy set of tasks that must be carried out in order to obtain a strong piece of loot. Once you've put in the time and effort to get it you feel a great sense of satisfaction, a rewarding feeling. This is something that's missing in the game for me.

Exotic Bounties are sort of like that but not really since they can be completed in a day easily.

todd360

is this helm for Defender? cuz i wanna scrap the Saint for this asap. looks good.

2927725-helmet.jpg

This helmet will annoy the fuck out of you lik. Every time you aim while in the air you end up floating in place. Even when you don't want to. Its so annoying. They took the worst perk for warlocks and gave it to titans for the lols. Like the lore behind the helmet though.

zewone

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Xur were removed from the game. I'm not a fan of everyone having access to an exotic store.
But then you get lfg bullshittiness and the game is no longer challenging. I've hated using my gjally since I got it in February but it's necessary for "easy mode" when you're carrying or fucking around. Gjally, thorn, and TLW has made the game worse off.

I don't use LFG and GAF doesn't have that mentality. I don't see it as a problem if you'd choose to not use it.

Final Xur exotic Instagram pic is

heavy fusion rifle, sleeper stimulant. Interesting. All we know is that it lasers tears through enemies and ricochet haha. Hmmm the tease is real

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Calling it whining is sort of dismissive. People's concerns seem justified. I look at them and think, 'is there a reason I would ever use these over x? and if so, how frequent are those situations?'

The hunter gauntlets are a great alternative to Don't Touch Me's since you get to control your use of invisibility, not to mention the reloading of the magazine. Would've been especially useful w/ lightswitch Skolas this past week, since LS renders DTM utterly useless.

Warlock chest armor has a case to be made. A high Str/Discipline build could be flameshields and fusion grenades for days in PvE when using Fireborn, since you're holding your super for so long anyway.

The Titan helmet though. I imagine there'll probably be some encounter in the game that's similar to the Urrox burn the floor mechanic, and that'll be the one time you might want to use it. The titan melee is the worst of the three though, and using orbs to charge that as opposed to a future bubble or FOH is a terrible trade-off. Add to that the fact that the Warlock exotic does the same but also for grenades and you've got a pretty shit-tier exotic.
calling whining whining is merely to label something as observed. Honestly now. It doesn't stop being whining if the concerns expressed are justified. My threshold for complaints is pretty high and has grown since starting to play Destiny, but please observe the posts decrying the gloves that you underscore have an actual viable, practical perk as useless- and you only went over the potential use case for Bladedancers in the first place.

Funnily enough I interpreted the effect of the Warlock chest you're describing as the secondary of the two, and imagine it will mostly be useful for quick-farming glimmer.

"Unless you have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" is the new OT motto.
fuck it

zewone

Okay, I mean, this isn't really a counter, but I think these would be fair, enjoyable, and not unbalanced exotic effects

-Stealth while stationary and ADS with a special weapon (any class I guess, i.e.: Patience and Time's effect for any special weapon)
-Sliding causes melee damage to enemies in your path (any class)
-Scoring a precision kill with throwing knife refills your special weapon ammo (Gunslinger)
-Enemies inside your Ward of Dawn take damage over time (Defender, basically New Thorn's max DOT applied to anyone inside the bubble)
-Kills with Shoulder Charge produce Orbs of Light (Striker, for crazy PvE orb gen builds and max agility aggressive players in Crucible)
-The duration of Radiance is extended and your super charges more quickly. Fireborn may not selected. (Sunsinger, if you have Fireborn equipped it's just a lost perk, you won't be able to self-res while wearing it).
-Nova Bomb is replaced with a smaller, more damaging projectile that also tracks enemies. This Nova Bomb will not produce orbs. (Voidwalker, basically a Nighthawk-alike for bosses)

the effects can range from subtle to profound but should basically shape your build to some degree, being chosen for playstyle or a specific task at hand if not both

So in that short amount of time between replies you came up with more interesting perks than any of the exotics revealed today is my problem with the news today.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I missed somehow that The Chaperone fires a single slug instead of shot. That's fascinating, and I actually can't really envision how it will function with Destiny shooting mechanics. I'm pretty psyched about every weapon I've seen shown so far at least, actually.

NastyBook

Got my new DualShock today. Now I can finally sprint again. And my little monster is happy too.
Oh, you had that problem, too, huh? Shit annoyed me greatly with my stock DS4. My White Camo doesn't seem to have that problem, but I have been dropping it considerably less that my first one. Too bad that LE console DS4 won't have decals on it. But it'll probably be collecting dust anyhow once the PSX DS4 drops.

SnakeEyes

Banned
So I've just gotten a chance to check out the announced new Exotics.

- Titans can now Warlock.
- That Warlock chest is only useful for PvE
- The Telestro Fusion Rifle reminds me of the Scorpion Heavy Pistol from Mass Effect 3.
- Sealed Ahamkara Grasps are going to be badass in PvP. Double Throwing Knife, with a chance to reload Primary.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Xur were removed from the game. I'm not a fan of everyone having access to an exotic store.

I don't use LFG and GAF doesn't have that mentality. I don't see it as a problem if you'd choose to not use it.
Dgaf and you aren't the only ones playing the game. And sheesh guys, you do realize xur is there to balance the game for those that don't play everyday, right? You Say xur is useless but he's only useless to you because you have 17+ strange coins and multiple exotics. For casuals strange coins are hard to come by and xur is their only hope of even getting an exotic without playing hours for rng to reward them.

Bottom of the page, meh, whatever.

Top Bottom