• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

E92 M3

100%

That GI video was great to watch, definitely nice to see Bungie comment on some of the things we feel so strongly about.

I just realized they even acknowledged that for a point they only wanted us to play how they wanted. Overall, the honesty is always welcomed.

If only all devs understood that 100% transparency will always lead to a happier community.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Take a minute to sign up for DGAF's the100.io. This is a grouping tool that hinges on scheduling activities in advance (i.e. a day or more) with people who can be free at that time, rather than starting to look for a group at the moment you decide you want to run something. It's very effective as a posting board for a substantive group like us. Bear in mind, and this isn't really a concern yet but I want to mention it just in light of our "to clique or not to clique" discussion yesterday, only the first 100 to sign up will get into this group. Now, of course we can create a second group and particularly we can keep in mind the idea of an XB1 only group if there is demand. But for now, we want to focus on hitting 100 in any way possible, so please sign up. Even if you think you're not likely to ever use it, it will be helpful in this initial phase- if you never touch it again, you'll be automatically removed from the group in 30 days.

We're currently at 37/100. Also, gmrtom7 and Frostburn are looking to run stuff in just a few hours and I'm sure would like people to sign up, lol
ZptociZ.png

The site has an "Online Playing Now" section and a chatroom:
wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

Individual games/activities also have their own chatrooms for pregame discussion:
dzfq200.png

While I, personally have no problem with groups forming up solely using this thread and doing so has served me well, a system like this will help to alleviate the issue of people feeling "passed over" or missing out by not being at-the-right-time-at-the-right-time. It also doesn't require "upkeep posts" or reminders on the part of the host the way a manually set-up group does. In the interest of helping more GAFers get more groups, please give it a shot! Thanks again ichabod for the great idea to set it up.

I just realized they even acknowledged that for a point they only wanted us to play how they wanted. Overall, the honesty is always welcomed.

If only all devs understood that 100% transparency will always lead to a happier community.

It did kind of suck when DeeJ and Urk said the community wont let them play around anymore.

We just want honesty. They can fool around but I think the fanbase will appreciate if they're up front with their struggles. I want to know what technical problem they have to solve or what design stooped them. I understand the need for hush hush if there's legalities involved, but that doesn't mean they have to drip feed everything else.

NeOak

They were much more forthcoming during the Halo days.

Deej's cryptic updates were a very bad idea. We needed info and instead got jokes 98% of people didn't appreciate.

I think that's a hard obstacle for most devs to overcome. Gamers play games how they want to play them, some of the most fun comes from stuff that wasn't intended.

It's the developers decision to then embrace it or remove it.

2 examples from WoW.

Fix this scenario: The Final Boss of Zul'Gurub would put a poison on you that would transfer to nearby friendly characters. There was no cure, you would die in a matter of seconds. Someone took this debuff and teleported to a main city. No one could access the main city for hours due to a virtual plague. Was hilarious, but something that shouldn't be repeatable.

Keep this cenario: Someone kited (for those who don't play MMO, it's when you lure a enemy away from their natural areas) a giant T-rex like enemy across an entire continent into the main city. This one isn't anywhere near as harmful, as high level players could still kill it, and it would be done. Plus NPCs would attack it as well. Low level players would die and get to watch the chaos, but it was short lived.

Both situations were "patched out" by blizzard. I would argue that removing the possibility in the second game restricts the player more than needed, and thus removed some element of freedom/fun.

Thanks for the write-up Hawk! I've been using the100 for a few months with a different group, and while it's not quite as home-y as DGAF, it's definitely a great scheduling tool. I definitely recommend it to anyone who has been having trouble getting groups together.

Deku Tree

Take a minute to sign up for DGAF's the100.io. This is a grouping tool that hinges on scheduling activities in advance (i.e. a day or more) with people who can be free at that time, rather than starting to look for a group at the moment you decide you want to run something. It's very effective as a posting board for a substantive group like us. Bear in mind, and this isn't really a concern yet but I want to mention it just in light of our "to clique or not to clique" discussion yesterday, only the first 100 to sign up will get into this group. Now, of course we can create a second group and particularly we can keep in mind the idea of an XB1 only group if there is demand. But for now, we want to focus on hitting 100 in any way possible, so please sign up. Even if you think you're not likely to ever use it, it will be helpful in this initial phase- if you never touch it again, you'll be automatically removed from the group in 30 days.

We're currently at 37/100. Also, gmrtom7 and Frostburn are looking to run stuff in just a few hours and I'm sure would like people to sign up, lol
ZptociZ.png

wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

Individual games/activities also have their own chatrooms for pregame discussion:
dzfq200.png

While I, personally have no problem with groups forming up solely using this thread and doing so has served me well, a system like this will help to alleviate the issue of people feeling "passed over" or missing out by not being at-the-right-time-at-the-right-time. It also doesn't require "upkeep posts" or reminders on the part of the host the way a manually set-up group does. In the interest of helping more GAFers get more groups, please give it a shot! Thanks again ichabod for the great idea to set it up.

Shouldn't there be a PS4 DGAF 100 and a separate Xbox one? I am all for staying together but I'm not sure what the point of having a joint cross platform 100 is when it boxes out people from the other platform from joining and you can't play cross platform anyway. I saw you did a practice possibly fake X1 join. But I disagree that getting to 100 in any way possible is the ideal when people can't play cross platform and having a mixed group actually means you really have two smaller sub groups that can't group together. Anyhow thanks for your post and this is a great idea. And thanks ichabod for putting it together too!

EDIT: Hawk is the only X1 user so far in the group.

I did this yesterday afternoon but it got lost in the clique argument I guess, or your clique is bigger than mine :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176589314&postcount=16173

Anyway mines set for UK/EU time, if we had another for Asia all bases would be covered

As above I suggested this yesterday afternoon but it got lost in the mire/ignored - anyway I set it so it will be for UK/EU time

https://www.the100.io/groups/1653

ZptociZ.png

wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

dzfq200.png

Signed up!

ocean

Banned
Personally, I think PVP and PVE should be separate because PVE should always have OP weapons. No one really cares about balancing the AI. We should all feel like legends in the end-game.
OP weapons don't make you feel like a legend. They make encounters and enemies feel super weak and easy, and the content is trivial - the opposite of legendary.

Think of the Devil Walker in the first strike. We sit back where he can't even shoot us, where no enemies spawn up, and we Black Hammer / Ice Break the spider to death super quickly while taking zero damage and using no ammo. Does this feel legendary to you? Cause it's just boring.

Think of how we used to face that encounter before the OP PvE weapons. Up close, using grenades and supers and primaries on the legs while dodging attacks from the ads and moving around, taking cover in the nearby buildings but watching out for the splash damage from that laser beam.

It took a while to complete, and it was challenging and fun without really being hard or unfair. But there was action involved, movement and risk. That was closer to feeling Legendary, at least in my book.

Do you remember doing Valus for the first time way back in the day? And actually using the vehicles? Yeah, there's a garage full of heavy vehicles there. But nah, perching up on top of the entrance with VoC+IB/BH lets you clear it more safely and more quickly. Feels powerful I guess. But is it fun? Cause tank on Cabal and Tank on Tank action was tricky - I had to change cars often when they took too much abuse - but it was tense in a way that using OP weapons never will be.

Ultimately, if you make a sufficiently good weapon it makes the game less fun. Imagine an Exotic Hand Cannon with a perk that lets you kill any major in one shot. Powerful as hell, we never take it off the slot. Based RNG give it to me. Bungie don't nerf, bring everything else to this level. You know that's how it would go. But it would make the game so ridiculously boring that it'd be a major blow to our experience. That's an exaggerated case but it's sort of what was happening with Horn, IB, Black Hammer et al.

Should they design encounters in such a way that these tactics aren't optimal? Sure. But at the end of the day, this game is a learning experience for them. They have data. They know how we play. And they know they went overboard with a few weapons which are just too damn practical - so practical that they make an already easy game even easier. And that's our loss, not theirs.

TLDR: OP weapons are as bad for the experience in PvE as they are in PvP, and they should be rebalanced or left behind or both so the game remains challenging and interesting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shouldn't there be a PS4 DGAF 100 and a separate Xbox one? I am all for staying together but I'm not sure what the point of having a joint cross platform 100 is when it boxes out people from the other platform from joining
It doesn't, and you can see and join games regardless of your stated platform in your profile
and you can't play cross platform anyway. I saw you did a practice possibly fake X1 join.
You mean that you can't play cross-platform from one console to players on another, but we have at least 5 active multiplatform members who, for the moment. While we are still seeing how this works, multiplatform players are best off at least occupying a spot and helping us flesh out the group. When we have 100 we can suss out some data. We need to know the demand is there. Actually, to that even, it would help if all multiplatform players actually set their platform to XB1 in their profiles. Again, you'll still be able to join PS4 games when posted.
But I disagree that getting to 100 in any way possible is the ideal when people can't play cross platform and having a mixed group actually means you really have two smaller sub groups that can't group together.
Just to rephrase it, this isn't quite the case because of multiplatform players (some of whom are very active/helpful).

But let's just see how easily we hit 100 and then I will absolutely put in the work to optimize our use of this site for PS4, XB1 and multiplatform players (sorry old consoles :p)

ZptociZ.png

wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

dzfq200.png

Joined!

I really hope this takes off.
As an EU DGAF, I *really* hope this takes off because most of the action happens while I'm asleep. ;_;

E92 M3

It did kind of suck when DeeJ and Urk said the community wont let them play around anymore.

We just want honesty. They can fool around but I think the fanbase will appreciate if they're up front with their struggles. I want to know what technical problem they have to solve or what design stooped them. I understand the need for hush hush if there's legalities involved, but that doesn't mean they have to drip feed everything else.

I am okay with fooling around as long as there is a ton of information included as well. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

They were much more forthcoming during the Halo days.

Deej's cryptic updates were a very bad idea. We needed info and instead got jokes 98% of people didn't appreciate.

I should go back and read some of the Halo weekly updates for the sake of nostalgia!

I think that's a hard obstacle for most devs to overcome. Gamers play games how they want to play them, some of the most fun comes from stuff that wasn't intended.

It's the developers decision to then embrace it or remove it.

2 examples from WoW.

Fix this scenario: The Final Boss of Zul'Gurub would put a poison on you that would transfer to nearby friendly characters. There was no cure, you would die in a matter of seconds. Someone took this debuff and teleported to a main city. No one could access the main city for hours due to a virtual plague. Was hilarious, but something that shouldn't be repeatable.

Keep this cenario: Someone kited (for those who don't play MMO, it's when you lure a enemy away from their natural areas) a giant T-rex like enemy across an entire continent into the main city. This one isn't anywhere near as harmful, as high level players could still kill it, and it would be done. Plus NPCs would attack it as well. Low level players would die and get to watch the chaos, but it was short lived.

Both situations were "patched out" by blizzard. I would argue that removing the possibility in the second game restricts the player more than needed, and thus removed some element of freedom/fun.

I believe truly game breaking things should be patched and everything else that is silly should be embraced. Obviously it's not always that simple, but games are made for the people playing.

j-wood

ZptociZ.png

wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

dzfq200.png

This is awesome, just signed up!

X-Frame

Hawkian, is that 100.io group split by time-zones at all or will it eventually include everyone?

If it hits 100 easily, which I am assuming it will within a couple days, would it make sense to have separate GAF 100.io groups depending upon time-zones? Or at least EU and US?

E92 M3

OP weapons don't make you feel like a legend. They make encounters and enemies feel super weak and easy, and the content is trivial - the opposite of legendary.

Think of the Devil Walker in the first strike. We sit back where he can't even shoot us, where no enemies spawn up, and we Black Hammer / Ice Break the spider to death super quickly while taking zero damage and using no ammo. Does this feel legendary to you? Cause it's just boring.

Think of how we used to face that encounter before the OP PvE weapons. Up close, using grenades and supers and primaries on the legs while dodging attacks from the ads and moving around, taking cover in the nearby buildings but watching out for the splash damage from that laser beam.

It took a while to complete, and it was challenging and fun without really being hard or unfair. But there was action involved, movement and risk. That was closer to feeling Legendary, at least in my book.

Do you remember doing Valus for the first time way back in the day? And actually using the vehicles? Yeah, there's a garage full of heavy vehicles there. But nah, perching up on top of the entrance with VoC+IB/BH lets you clear it more safely and more quickly. Feels powerful I guess. But is it fun? Cause tank on Cabal and Tank on Tank action was tricky - I had to change cars often when they took too much abuse - but it was tense in a way that using OP weapons never will be.

Ultimately, if you make a sufficiently good weapon it makes the game less fun. Imagine an Exotic Hand Cannon with a perk that lets you kill any major in one shot. Powerful as hell, we never take it off the slot. Based RNG give it to me. Bungie don't nerf, bring everything else to this level. You know that's how it would go. But it would make the game so ridiculously boring that it'd be a major blow to our experience. That's an exaggerated case but it's sort of what was happening with Horn, IB, Black Hammer et al.

Should they design encounters in such a way that these tactics aren't optimal? Sure. But at the end of the day, this game is a learning experience for them. They have data. They know how we play. And they know they went overboard with a few weapons which are just too damn practical - so practical that they make an already easy game even easier. And that's our loss, not theirs.

TLDR: OP weapons are as bad for the experience in PvE as they are in PvP, and they should be rebalanced or left behind or both so the game remains challenging and interesting.

The strike was always monotonous and I didn't use vehicles because they are boring. Video games are normally about having a power fantasy - we have real life for balance. No one plays RPGs to feel a challenge in the end game. People want to destroy their enemies without any troubles. In fact, every RPG I have played the end-game is always about getting the ultimate weapons and just becoming unstoppable.

If TTK has only mediocre weapons, then I don't see myself playing too long. Why do you think the Mythoclast was so coveted back in the day? Same reason for the Gjallarhorn. No one screams on the top of their lungs when they get a Spare Change.

Encounters need to be like Vault of Glass, where no matter how OP the weapons are there is still a challenge. Hell, there are people to this day that can't do confluxes on hard.

I know level 32 was probably too low to be attempting Skolas, but I'm on my final placement and pressed for time over the next two weeks. I'm worried I won't be able to complete my remaining triumphs in time. I did die some twenty times, but I tried to contribute as best as I could, even if that was nothing compared to Drizz and Glam's output. Those guys were awesome. I've been away from the game for too long and only just caught up with the DLC. I want to keep up with the TTK's content and not be caught behind the 8 ball.

amar212

Total agree.

Deku Tree

It doesn't, and you can see and join games regardless of your stated platform in your profile

You mean that you can't play cross-platform from one console to players on another, but we have at least 5 active multiplatform members who, for the moment. While we are still seeing how this works, multiplatform players are best off at least occupying a spot and helping us flesh out the group. When we have 100 we can suss out some data. We need to know the demand is there. Actually, to that even, it would help if all multiplatform players actually set their platform to XB1 in their profiles. Again, you'll still be able to join PS4 games when posted.

Just to rephrase it, this isn't quite the case because of multiplatform players (some of whom are very active/helpful).

But let's just see how easily we hit 100 and then I will absolutely put in the work to optimize our use of this site for PS4, XB1 and multiplatform players (sorry old consoles :p)

Fair enough.

We are already at 64 very quickly and everyone is on PS4 except your X1 sign up so far. The groups are unfortunately capped at approximately 100 as far as I know.

My main point was that because there is a cap in group size then having a small number of players on X1 makes it harder for both PS4 and X1 players to find groups. But absolutely multi-platform players are also out there and I'm not sure how that affects things. Anyhow thanks!

GutZ31

Shouldn't there be a PS4 DGAF 100 and a separate Xbox one? I am all for staying together but I'm not sure what the point of having a joint cross platform 100 is when it boxes out people from the other platform from joining and you can't play cross platform anyway. I saw you did a practice possibly fake X1 join. But I disagree that getting to 100 in any way possible is the ideal when people can't play cross platform and having a mixed group actually means you really have two smaller sub groups that can't group together. Anyhow thanks for your post and this is a great idea. And thanks ichabod for putting it together too!

EDIT: Hawk is the only X1 user so far in the group.
The group was created, and is opt-in.
If enough people join, and show interest in using the format, other groups/subgroups can be established.

This doesn't work unless pretty much everyone on DGaf joins the 100 group in the first place.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll clarify a little further about how this works in a bit but I have to head to work right now. Just... for the moment, having mutually exclusive the100.io groups that cater to a particular subset are not necessarily a good idea.

Specifically, in the case of ones that cater to timezones- unless your desire is to only play with people in that region for some reason other than timing, the site automatically converts listings into your timezone. So only if you never intend to play with people in other time zones would be it beneficial to be only in a separate group.

Again, I mean at first. You have to understand that this only works to any degree with a bunch of people participating. If there is demand- if we can sustain well over 100 people- then restricted split groups will make more sense.

For now, the data of what kind of player you are can best serve your cause of getting groups by just signing up.
Hawkian, is that 100.io group split by time-zones at all or will it eventually include everyone?

If it hits 100 easily, which I am assuming it will within a couple days, would it make sense to have separate GAF 100.io groups depending upon time-zones? Or at least EU and US?
Mehmantrout already has one ready to go!
Deku said:
Hawk is the only X1 user so far in the group.

This is kind of "my point" more than counteractive evidence. We need to see what kind of numbers we can sustain, per platform, timezone, etc.

^GutZ has it right.

Deku Tree

The group was created, and is opt-in.
If enough people join, and show interest in using the format, other groups/subgroups can be established.

This doesn't work unless pretty much everyone on DGaf joins the 100 group in the first place.

I'll clarify a little further about how this works in a bit but I have to head to work right now. Just... for the moment, having mutually exclusive the100.io groups that cater to a particular subset are not necessarily a good idea.

Specifically, in the case of ones that cater to timezones- unless your desire is to only play with people in that region for some reason other than timing, the site automatically converts listings into your timezone. So only if you never intend to play with people in other time zones would be it beneficial to be only in a separate group.

Again, I mean at first. You have to understand that this only works to any degree with a bunch of people participating. If there is demand- if we can sustain well over 100 people- then restricted split groups will make more sense.

For now, the data of what kind of player you are can best serve your cause of getting groups by just signing up.

Now at 66 members.... We are gonna hit 100 in an hour or less at the rate people have signed up just now.

ZptociZ.png

wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

dzfq200.png

This is a great idea. Major props to taking the initiative. I've just signed up and look forward to some regular grouping.

Deku Tree

I just noticed captsci is in two groups... Can people join multiple 100.io groups? Can the 100 groups have alliances with other groups?

Frostburn

Woud love to get another player or two signed up for the normal VoG raid going on at 12:30 today, if it goes well and smooth I'd be down to lead a Crota's End raid as well. Sign up here on the100

Top Bottom