• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Lnkn52

I see a lot of 30+ year olds on the100

#OlderGaf Represent! :p

Wow, no kidding. Those reflexes have not diminish due to age.

Top of Edit Page: We've broken the LFG Only conspiracy now with this:

Take a minute to sign up for DGAF's the100.io. This is a grouping tool that hinges on scheduling activities in advance (i.e. a day or more) with people who can be free at that time, rather than starting to look for a group at the moment you decide you want to run something. It's very effective as a posting board for a substantive group like us. Bear in mind, and this isn't really a concern yet but I want to mention it just in light of our "to clique or not to clique" discussion yesterday, only the first 100 to sign up will get into this group. Now, of course we can create a second group and particularly we can keep in mind the idea of an XB1 only group if there is demand. But for now, we want to focus on hitting 100 in any way possible, so please sign up. Even if you think you're not likely to ever use it, it will be helpful in this initial phase- if you never touch it again, you'll be automatically removed from the group in 30 days.

We're currently at 37/100. Also, gmrtom7 and Frostburn are looking to run stuff in just a few hours and I'm sure would like people to sign up, lol
ZptociZ.png

The site has an "Online Playing Now" section and a chatroom:
wz9nWzy.png
XPLknKM.png

Individual games/activities also have their own chatrooms for pregame discussion:
dzfq200.png

While I, personally have no problem with groups forming up solely using this thread and doing so has served me well, a system like this will help to alleviate the issue of people feeling "passed over" or missing out by not being at-the-right-time-at-the-right-time. It also doesn't require "upkeep posts" or reminders on the part of the host the way a manually set-up group does. In the interest of helping more GAFers get more groups, please give it a shot! Thanks again ichabod for the great idea to set it up.

Navy Bean

I see a lot of 30+ year olds on the100

#OlderGaf Represent! :p
I just joined the group to give the XB1 presence a boost (and to keep an eye on you PS4 f*ckers lol). I've used the site before for PoE and Nightfalls and it works great. Beat Skolas with 2 randos from there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And that's 109. O_O

The extra referral thing is awesome- great find Deku!

Looks like we can get a max of 120 using that. So there are still 11 spots that can be claimed by referral for the moment...

Seems there's a good chance there may be quite a bit more demand than that (y'all are straight crazy), so I'm putting together some info on how we likely want to handle this going forward.

Don't worry if you don't get in! Please nobody panic. This is not going to be an exclusive individual group that limits the GAF members who can group together. Ideally, we'll have multiple active groups of 100 DGAF Guardians, each suited to their own unique habits and preferences. It may or may not be possible to reach that ideal, but we're going to find out! This is in its infancy and just establishing the demand was the first step. Thank you to all who've signed up!

First,

Why doesn't the site just let you have a group as big as you want it?

The entire premise of the100 is that, in contrast to an LFG tool (like www.destinylfg.net), which exposes your listing in real-time to thousands of people at the moment you desire to get started, this grouping strategy is better served by having a smaller, finite, but still substantial group of players whose play habits largely align with your own.

With our first DGAF group, we're seeing a bit of a half-assed version of what the site is trying to accomplish.

Pretend you're just a random Guardian out there and don't know anything of GAF. You sign up for the100.io, put in your play style and habit information, preferred play times (in your respective timezone), and create your account- the100.io automatically places you in a group that most closely matches your own criteria, to give you the best chance of finding regular games.

Because we're using it instead as a community tool, and have a huge community, we need to do a little of that matchmaking on our own to really make this work.

A couple things to bear in mind:

1) Inactive users will automatically be removed, so we're not going to stay hard-capped just because of all the initial signups. When this all shakes out, hopefully each group will always have a handful of open slots so that joining the appropriate one(s) for you is never an issue.

2) The most logical first division is of course to separate PS4 and Xbox players into their own groups, and multiplatform players can simply join both groups. However, there needs to be enough demand on the Xbox One side to create a sustainable group. Currently, out of 108 members, a total of 4 are on Xbox One. For starters, to get a better idea of how viable this is, please, if you are a multiplatform player, switch your platform in your profile to Xbox One for counting purposes!

3) Time zone (or geographical region) is not an ideal method of dividing the groups- unless your concern is latency or otherwise keeping your groups local in a geographic sense, what you want is actually players who are online at the same times as you. The website will automatically convert game listings into your local timezone. In other words, people who can play in the afternoons on weekdays EST are the same people who can play during the evenings BST. We want to group those players together even if they're in Ohio and Manchester, because they are good candidates to regularly group together. The logistics of setting up groups to cater to distinct "play time frames" are a little tricky, but I have some good ideas of how to work it out.

4) If there is even more demand than it seems, we can ultimately also consider the casual/serious split as a deciding factor.

5) You can join multiple groups, up to a maximum of 3.

Bear with us as we start to make the most of this tool- and don't hesitate to start grouping up and playing in the meantime! :D

Ichabod, I'm sensing I'll be able to contribute more here if I can be a mod of the group we have. I'll PM you....

ocean

Banned
Going to a forum to find a forum to find a group.

Its getting complicated.
We must go deeper.

We have OT, 100 group, PSN groups, Bnet groups, Twitch chat (2 of them!), soon a separate TTK thread, an inevitable LFG thread some newcomer will deem necessary, and then Skype/DM/phone communications.

We are a messy legion.

Bogeypop

And that's 109. O_O

The extra referral thing is awesome- great find Deku!

Looks like we can get a max of 120 using that. So there are still 11 spots that can be claimed by referral for the moment...

I just woke up! Can I get a referral join in that case?

Dammit I forgot I still need to finish my triumphs (some gold chests, public events, and skolas).

But I just got Gears UE and its sucking me in ;_;

Is there a wishlist kinda thing on Bungie's site?

The biggest thing I want in Destiny is custom games, but I don't know where to go to suggest it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just edited it in to my post above but just sos everybody understand this factor, the100.io will automatically convert game listings into your local timezone.

Nuszka

The 100 is already over capacity , dang it.
Edit: been signed up for it about 5 months ago but never used it, now with having a dgaf specific group it might change.

PuMa

Is there a wishlist kinda thing on Bungie's site?

The biggest thing I want in Destiny is custom games, but I don't know where to go to suggest it

It's one of the most requested features. They have an ongoing community wishlist thingy. I think they pull a lot informally from reddit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sent out a few more referrals. Nuszka and stb check your PMs.
Just got my day started. What is this 100 thing?
A grouping tool. If you want in to what I will now start calling the "test group" you can still get in
They probably missed it. Was strange catching up on the thread to see the group full, and hawk thinking it would take a few days to fill.
Not for nothing but I didn't create the group, and there were 4 reminder posts I used to determine the initial rate of joining I thought we could expect.

Really it goes to demonstrate the impact a graphically-distinct post near the top of a page can have.

PuMa

Thanks! Glad to see it's up there.

Btw, what the hell is 'Transmogrification'?

It's dumb and has no purpose in Destiny, in my opinion. Basically, you take one item and make it look like another item. Works in games like Diablo, but I think it would be a waste here.

ocean

Banned
Thanks! Glad to see it's up there.

Btw, what the hell is 'Transmogrification'?
Taking an item's appearance and infusing it with another's stats.

So if you like the way a Green-tier armor set looks and want to give it the stats on your useful but ugly FWC set, a mechanism to pass the stats from one gear to the other. That way you can chose your appearance without sacrificing your stat preferences.

It's dumb and has no purpose in Destiny, in my opinion. Basically, you take one item and make it look like another item. Works in games like Diablo, but I think it would be a waste here.

Like if I had a pulse rifle, but I wanted it to look like a Suros Regime?

What's the point...

PuMa

What's the point...

Exactly. I think the big proponents of it want it more for armor, but if I'm in a game and see someone wearing, say, Helm of St 14, I want to be sure what their bubble is doing and not have to check their item stats.

ocean

Banned

What's the point...
Etheric Light solved a part of it.

It used to be that only Raid sets took you to max level. Result: everyone looked identical. You were only differentiated by class item, shader, and which Exotic you wore - and even then, most people gravitated to the same options.

Now that you can mix and match armor it's less of a pressing issue. I can use any armor and be max level. So it's not a complaint which had been entirely addressed - I'd love the stat roll of my ugly-as-hell CE armor on a ToO elegant piece - but whatever. We have armor variety now, to a certain extent.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Weird. In Destiny you spend a lot more time looking at your items up close and personal than in Diablo.

What's the point...
It shouldn't work for Exotics, or across weapon classes.

I want an actually viable weapon I can carry around in endgame with me to look like this:
how you gonna tell me there's no point gat damn
Exactly. I think the big proponents of it want it more for armor, but if I'm in a game and see someone wearing, say, Helm of St 14, I want to be sure what their bubble is doing and not have to check their item stats.
It absolutely should not work for Exotics, as they have tactical implications.

Ambitious

Regarding The100, what if you want to start some activity as soon the fireteam is full? Just enter the current time? Or don't create a session at all but use the "Playing Right Now" feature instead?

Namikaze1

Two more 5k bounties to complete on my Warlock as well as 44 more Crucible marks and it is ready for TTK.

Hunter just needs less than 10 vanguard marks to be ready and 1 crucible bounty.

Titan needs around 60 Crucible Marks and 50 vanguard marks.

Sent out a few more referrals. Nuszka and stb check your PMs.

A grouping tool. If you want in to what I will now start calling the "test group" you can still get in

Not for nothing but I didn't create the group, and there were 4 reminder posts I used to determine the initial rate of joining I thought we could expect.

Really it goes to demonstrate the impact a graphically-distinct post near the top of a page can have.

For sure. I have images turned off on mobile, but it caught my eye because I thought it may have some info about your year two thread.

Weird. In Destiny you spend a lot more time looking at your items up close and personal than in Diablo.

It shouldn't work for Exotics, or across weapon classes.

I want an actually viable weapon I can carry around in endgame with me to look like this:

how you gonna tell me there's no point gat damn

It absolutely should not work for Exotics, as they have tactical implications.

ooh, I want a tiger on my guns. how cool is that?
can I put punk band stickers on all my guns. cuz that would be sweet.

Top Bottom