• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Kalamari

But that's terrible, because it then puts us right back in the system where content progression is tied to the RNG of drops with "light level".

Which is exactly what they said in a video sucks and they wanted to change.

I think they are improving their smart-loot system this time around, so progression won't be so RNG based. Whether it actually works is another matter.

Deku Tree

SRlrNbh.png

bar showing how far you are to max int/dis/str

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's very different.

Because it's an average across all gear, you won't get stuck blocked from an activity because you can't find that one piece of gear. (Forever 29.) You can get there with a great primary drop. Or a Ghost shell. Or a class item. Or a nice rocket launcher. If the GI article is right and some activities are gated by light levels, then it opens the endgame up to players to find their own path to that light level.
Until the hard raid is gated off by maximum light level. Then it becomes the same. i mean obviously that wouldn't do that and this system is better because it gives you more options to level up but a simple mistake like making the gates too hard to reach could end up in backlash.

Namikaze1

Checking every piece now, I don't know what happened.

I moved everything through bungie.net and even double checked my hunter by logging in and making sure he had NOTHING on him before deleting, everything was moved and my vault was maxed. When I logged back in I suddenly had 9 open spaces in my vault so I'm flipping my shit a little bit right now.

I don't know what happened, but I'm going through everything now to make sure nothing is missing.
Which items did you lost?

I moved everything through bungie.net and even double checked my hunter by logging in and making sure he had NOTHING on him before deleting, everything was moved and my vault was maxed. When I logged back in I suddenly had 9 open spaces in my vault so I'm flipping my shit a little bit right now.

I don't know what happened, but I'm going through everything now to make sure nothing is missing.

Check your other characters? I know that if a transfer fails, sometimes it goes to another character.

Deku Tree

Can you save an uncut video of the whole process? full vault to delete character to missing items in vault? I think the playstation saves the last 15 minutes.

E92 M3

Yeah just stay calm for now and audit your inventory. Start with the important stuff first.

Yup. I am right there with you Puma. I hope the exotic blueprints are not a grind in order to make Year 1 Exotics Year 2 Exotics. I am totally fine with them being something for new exotics going forward, but the idea of having to do X, Y, and or Z to make a year 1 a year 2 seems a bit like an oversight. As always, I will be optimistic and hope for the best. Honestly, they seem to be on the right track with everything so far.

Hype for Year 2 is still at maximum.

Lee

SRlrNbh.png

bar showing how far you are to max int/dis/str

And by the sound of it, you only see a reduction in cooldown if you complete one segment of the bars. So instead of a smooth gradient of reduced cooldown time as it is now, you get 10 seconds off for 1/5, 20 seconds for 2/5, etc. etc.

So this intellect is wasted, I guess.

Also, sucks for you grimoire hunters that it doesn't show on the lobby screen anymore and you have to inspect the player to see grimoire... my brother is going to pissed. Kid is so proud of his grim score.

Juraash

I really hope TTK is as good as it looks. That trailer has me so hyped and the changes seem so good. We've come such a long way from when the game launched and I really feel like Destiny is becoming what I had hoped it would be.

That said, Bungie has made some head-scratchingly bad/odd choices with Destiny in the past. I'm hoping they put to rest a ton of speculation with these streams and give us a monstrous infodump. All the speculation makes me nervous about what we'll actually be getting.

LTWood12

I remember the terrible planetary material icons.

SpinmetalIcon.png

Also remember when your Grenade and Melee were a transparent gray if they weren't charged, and a translucent gray when they were charged?

destiny-footage-1024x576.jpg

kidko

What if the reason they're telling us not to dismantle our weapons just yet is because they want us to dismantle them later so we get Legendary Marks for them?! o_O

Don't think that's the reason but it would be hilarious if it was.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is

It's very different.

Because it's an average across all gear, you won't get stuck blocked from an activity because you can't find that one piece of gear. (Forever 29.) You can get there with a great primary drop. Or a Ghost shell. Or a class item. Or a nice rocket launcher. If the GI article is right and some activities are gated by light levels, then it opens the endgame up to players to find their own path to that light level.

I don't quite follow. Currently, light level is already an average across your armor. Is the difference you're referring to is that they include weapons/ghosts etc. in your light level?

Mindlog

And by the sound of it, you only see a reduction in cooldown if you complete one segment of the bars. So instead of a smooth gradient of reduced cooldown time as it is now, you get 10 seconds off for 1/5, 20 seconds for 2/5, etc. etc.

So this intellect is wasted, I guess.

Also, sucks for you grimoire hunters that it doesn't show on the lobby screen anymore and you have to inspect the player to see grimoire... my brother is going to pissed. Kid is so proud of his grim score.
That sucks. I tried to avoid upgrading an exotic unless it was a significant increase. In that system 2 or 3 points could be significant.

NeOak

Remember when the Mythoclast was OP and destroyed everything in PvP?

Remember when legendary engrams gave blues all the time?

Remember when the SUROS was the end all PvP Primary?

Remember the Queen's Wrath event?

Remember when Iron Banner did not have a real level difference?

Remember when only the 3 people further in the back were teleported in Atheon?

Remember the Templar cheese by throwing him off the platform?

Remember being 29 for months due to never having that last raid piece for the last 3 light you needed?

Remember the Wizard that came from the moon?

Remember being 29 for months due to never having that last raid piece for the last 3 light you needed?

Remember when Thorn was considered a terrible gun?

Lee

I don't quite follow. Currently, light level is already an average across your armor. Is the difference you're referring to is that they include weapons/ghosts etc. in your light level?

Currently light level is a sum of your gear pieces' light, and total defense is a sum of your armor pieces' defense.

TheAquaticApe remembers! I 'member!

I could of totally been level 30, but I refused to not use my HoTPF. Atheon HM refused to give me that helmet for a long time.

Notice the stock refresh timer at the bottom? Does that mean the crucible (and Vanguard/DO/etc) vendors stock rotates/refreshes? Does the current crucible vendor have a stock refresh timer too?

Oh wow so that's why they wanted you to keep all our legendaries. Okay. :p

You know, I can kinda understand why they want to wipe the slate clean. But damn I'd like to have something from my year 1 adventures still be relevant.

SeanR1221

Do you guys think I'm better off deleting my second hunter now, making a warlock and getting him as high as possible or just wait until TTK and getting him to 25 right away?

GhaleonEB

Average of Attack and Defense across all equipped gear. That screen shows 10 equipped items: primary weapon, special weapon, heavy weapon, Ghost shell, helmet, gauntlets, armor, boots, class item, artifact (I think?). So presumably, all or most will contribute to light level and you can progress with any of them.

I think it's better -more flexible - unless you have to max them all for some activity. That would be bad.

ocean

Banned
My fear with this new light system is that...it doesn't change anything?

They aren't going to have something stupid like for hard mode of the new raid, you need to be level 40 and have a light average of 300 or something right?

Because that would be stupid and is basically what we have now.
The problem with Light levels wasn't really the fact that you needed better gear to do harder content. It was that getting gear which met these requirements was totally random and beyond your control. It was luck based. The Dark Below fixed this to a certain extent with significantly higher drop rates for raid armor vs. VoG.

But since HoW, the Light system isn't really punishing. If you start playing today, you can roadmap your progress to level 35 very neatly. Vendor armor - without any upgrades required - takes you to level 32. At 32, you can earn PoE gear, which goes up to 34. No randomness. Coupled with Etheric alight and Exotics, it's a damn flexible system.

So to be honest, the whole problem with Light Level gating of content is largely solved. There's no #forever33. The system allows for predictable, measurable progression which only depends on luck if you wanna speed up (via Etheric Light), but worst-case scenario is 4 resets doing PoE 32 for max level. Done.

The problem now is far less serious. It's petty, even. While the current system works, is flexible, non-random and leaves nobody behind...it's messy.

Making armor give us a more traditional concept of Armor stat (proxy via Light) makes it far easier to understand what the stat does. As in, it's not my level - it's my armor/attack.

Doing away with the completely uninterpretable "I have 1578 Defense" and changing it to "____ Light" makes more sense.

noomi

Ok.... was getting pretty panicky, even loading my characters on Bungie.net wouldn't work for a while and showed nothing....

I managed to check through everything (I think), and it looks like it's all there. I'm not sure what the hell happened... but I think I'm good.

Going to double check.... cause you know... OCD and all

Top Bottom